Author Topic: Anime Thread  (Read 386235 times)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Re: Anime Thread
« Reply #700 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 16:18:39 »

I just had a dream during my nap...

And I was watching anime.. I was watching aldnoah... and while i was watching it in the dream, I realized I've seen this before.. it was called Code Geass..
Show Image

We'll see whether or not it's a code geass copy soon enough

Although, to note, I wouldn't even classify code geass as a mecha, I watched it for the plot and Lelouch antics.

i miss lelouch's crazy plots

i should really finish code geass
Definitly should.  I wish I could forget it all and rewatch it again.

I have a feeling aldnoah might have less mecha fights than we want and might be more talking/plotbuilding.  And I wouldn't be surprised to have characters suddenly die off.

Gotta start akame, downloaded it earlier.  Read the first 30 ish chapters and hoping its just as gruesome as the manga.

I like the fact there might be fewer mecha fights

I feel like the mecha genre is evolving beyond the 'spew life principals in the cockpit to each other' trope, and I don't mind it :P

Yes, I want more victims by the urobutcher, even if he's only in charge of the plot for the first three episodes.
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #701 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 17:27:08 »

And I was watching anime.. I was watching aldnoah... and while i was watching it in the dream, I realized I've seen this before.. it was called Code Geass..
Show Image

Although, to note, I wouldn't even classify code geass as a mecha, I watched it for the plot and Lelouch antics.

I have a feeling aldnoah might have less mecha fights than we want and might be more talking/plotbuilding.  And I wouldn't be surprised to have characters suddenly die off.

Gotta start akame, downloaded it earlier.  Read the first 30 ish chapters and hoping its just as gruesome as the manga.

I feel like the mecha genre is evolving beyond the 'spew life principals in the cockpit to each other' trope, and I don't mind it :P

Yes, I want more victims by the urobutcher, even if he's only in charge of the plot for the first three episodes.

I feel mecha doesn't need all the drama they're injecting into it..

All a mecha fan really needs to get excited over, is robots + robot upgrade path...  Like that's the WHOLE thing...   

I don't care about the factions, I don't care about their love interests, I don't care about their ridiculous reasons for being an emo-prick despite having the ultimate career as a robot pilot..

M0ar robots, less emo...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #702 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 17:35:55 »
this movie is really really depressing

you should watch it

after another few minutes

it's also very uplifitng

though the story itself is kinda boring there are a lot of good life lessons to be learned
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 July 2014, 17:42:19 by TacticalStache »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #703 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:14:15 »
this movie is really really depressing

you should watch it

after another few minutes

it's also very uplifitng

though the story itself is kinda boring there are a lot of good life lessons to be learned

which movie?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #704 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:28:24 »
Colorful

the movie and the series are 2 VERY different things
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #705 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:54:10 »
PingPong was awesome and is only one to watch among this season, no doubt.

Others? Forget! At least I forgot them completely.

Ping Pong was surprisingly good. There are too many harem/beach episode/hotspring/fillers that make you forget there is not a story. For me anyway. Feels like half of all new anime is like this and have to shift through to find the good ones. I've found myself watching a series and thinking "this is a great story, great characters, great first and second episode, wait what are they doing, why is that is even there, why did they destroy this anime, deleted."

Black Bullet did this for me. Side stories are great in anime but for me this series falls short and then reminds me when the action starts and the character get serious and really work together it's a great concept. The fluff makes it a 3/5 instead of a 4 or 5/5. I feel like it's just one of the many animes that can be summed up in a minute or two and you can just jump into the second season without even watching it. Try doing that for Attack on Titan or Code Geass. Good animes have to be watched and not explained.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #706 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 18:56:23 »
I just finished watching episode 1 of toukyou kushu and I'm ****ing pissed

they left out my favourite ****ing part that got me into the manga in the first place

WHAT THE ****

**** this ****
I love Elzy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #707 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 19:01:08 »
welcome to being a GoT fan Sifo

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #708 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 19:01:39 »
PingPong was awesome and is only one to watch among this season, no doubt.

Others? Forget! At least I forgot them completely.

Ping Pong was surprisingly good. There are too many harem/beach episode/hotspring/fillers that make you forget there is not a story. For me anyway. Feels like half of all new anime is like this and have to shift through to find the good ones. I've found myself watching a series and thinking "this is a great story, great characters, great first and second episode, wait what are they doing, why is that is even there, why did they destroy this anime, deleted."

Black Bullet did this for me. Side stories are great in anime but for me this series falls short and then reminds me when the action starts and the character get serious and really work together it's a great concept. The fluff makes it a 3/5 instead of a 4 or 5/5. I feel like it's just one of the many animes that can be summed up in a minute or two and you can just jump into the second season without even watching it. Try doing that for Attack on Titan or Code Geass. Good animes have to be watched and not explained.
Looking at black bullet it only has 16 chapters (not that I have read or watched any of it).  It is quite possible that they did this to prevent it from catching up/surpassing the manga in terms of progress.  I guess personally I don't mind filler that much, especially cause I don't think ive watched anything longer than 50 ep.

And to be fair I think you can skip a lot of AoT and sum it up in 1 or 2 minutes.  At least half of the first season if not the whole season.  Though I read it and didnt watch more than 5 or so episodes.

edit: reminds me of something on reddit a couple weeks ago http://imgur.com/a/UGnD3#0 gintama on filler (6 gifs)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 July 2014, 19:19:10 by Xenderwind »
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #709 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 20:48:48 »

Show Image

All a mecha fan really needs to get excited over, is robots + robot upgrade path...  Like that's the WHOLE thing...   

M0ar robots, less emo...
Show Image

You should look into Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you just want pure fun and action, with none of the drama.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #710 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 20:53:02 »
You should look into Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you just want pure fun and action, with none of the drama.
I was actually considering dropping it and not finishing it. I was around episode 6.

Then I saw episode 7.

Now I think it's great.

That said, there is absolutely drama in there, the good news is that it's so over the top, the series does not take itself seriously at all. Usually I try to watch a "fun" anime and a "serious" one at the same time.  Guren lagann was perfect for the "fun".

Now I need to find more "fun" - type ones that aren't all fanservice. Kill la Kill is making me _not_ want to watch more anime 'cause I know I'll have to put up with that.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Anime Thread
« Reply #711 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 21:04:38 »
I was actually considering dropping it and not finishing it. I was around episode 6.

Then I saw episode 7.

Now I think it's great.

That said, there is absolutely drama in there, the good news is that it's so over the top, the series does not take itself seriously at all. Usually I try to watch a "fun" anime and a "serious" one at the same time.  Guren lagann was perfect for the "fun".

Now I need to find more "fun" - type ones that aren't all fanservice. Kill la Kill is making me _not_ want to watch more anime 'cause I know I'll have to put up with that.

Well I feel the perpetuated 'drama' in mechas that dates back to the gundam series has more to do with technobabble and the female leads doing some stupid **** (fking lacus clyne)

This series' drama is probably more of a feels trip for the watcher

Yeah there's a large lack of good, fun animes in these recent seasons. I'm a fan of the seriouso stuff though

You don't need to force yourself to watch KLK

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #712 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 22:58:00 »
I like the rest of it a lot, so I want to find out how the rest of the show will go. I like the interplay between Mako and Ryuko.

Usually I work with my hands when watching TV (knotwork, sharpen knives, desolder, etc.) so this show is great for that.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #713 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 23:15:27 »

I like the rest of it a lot, so I want to find out how the rest of the show will go. I like the interplay between Mako and Ryuko.

Usually I work with my hands when watching TV (knotwork, sharpen knives, desolder, etc.) so this show is great for that.

Oh boy, I only have one hand free when watching KLK, don't know how you can manage two :P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #714 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 23:24:20 »
LMFAO
I love Elzy

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #715 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 23:51:05 »

The only parts I found bad were the parts with the mom.  Other than that I honestly didn't pay too much attention to it.  I watched it with a group of friends though every week so the hype and bonding definitely made it my favorite anime.

As for gurren lagann its great especially because it is so over-the-top, which is one of the same reasons I loved KLK so much.  Though some people have a urge to drop it after a few key events.  There's also the movies gurren-hen and lagann-hen if you don't want to sit through the whole series.

For "fun" stuff you might try the devil is a part timer and nichijou. 

I cant imagine doing stuff while watching anime though.  I feel like im not getting the whole "experience" if I do, which is another reason I can't do dubs.  It bothers me when I see people texting or something while watching anime.  Also people who watch anime streamed in a non fullscreened player really bothers me.  That ****s not even like 480p.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #716 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 23:56:14 »

Oh boy, I only have one hand free when watching KLK, don't know how you can manage two :P

I don't get it.. what were you doing with your non-free hand??  soda?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #717 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 00:30:46 »
For "fun" stuff you might try the devil is a part timer and nichijou. 
Yeah I watched the first one (partly 'cause whitefox did it: they're a relatively new studio, so I like to see what they have to offer other than steins;gate) I think I already have Nichijou. If I remember right, it's pretty oddball. I'll bump it up the "to watch" list closer to the top.

I really like subs because I can read them at a glance. Also, with anime the art is mostly still. You know how common close-ups of people talking are. I can take it in at a glance. This leaves most of my vision open to do other things. Also, once you get good, you don't have to look down at your work that frequently. For me it doesn't "take away" from the experience. Then again, I also prefer some dubs to the japanese voice cast version. The biggest issue with dubs is there are like 6 american voice actors who do them, so you get the same voices in like every show. But I don't mind it so much.

Then there are some where I think the art is really worthwhile and I put more into watching it.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #718 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:04:04 »
I'm still ****ing pissed about the Tokyo Ghoul anime.
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #719 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:08:11 »

I'm curious as to what was missing now

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #720 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:11:07 »

The most important quote in the entire series that Kaneki says when he's in the hospital looking like this:

"If, for argument's sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be..."

Sets the tone for the whole thing and foreshadows what's gonna come. But noooo let's just scrap that wtf? This panel is the only reason why I got into this series. I'm so disappointed.
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Anime Thread
« Reply #721 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:12:36 »

The most important quote in the entire series that Kaneki says when he's in the hospital looking like this:

"If, for argument's sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be..."

Show Image

Sets the tone for the whole thing and foreshadows what's gonna come. But noooo let's just scrap that wtf? This panel is the only reason why I got into this series. I'm so disappointed.

Well they have to shorten the dialogue down to fit in all the context and expositions

And I think his screams were enough to point out that it was a 'tragedy'

I like that kind of internal monologue through, the foreshadowing seems top-notch too.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #722 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:14:16 »

Show Image

Well they have to shorten the dialogue down to fit in all the context and expositions

I like that kind of internal monologue through, the foreshadowing seems top-notch too.

It's 1 freaking line and they pretty much just skipped that entire thing when it could have been less than 20 seconds long -_______-
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #723 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:16:02 »

Show Image

It's 1 freaking line and they pretty much just skipped that entire thing when it could have been less than 20 seconds long -_______-

Probably an artistic choice on the behalf of the director then

Animes don't always follow the manga, and I hate when adaptations aren't faithful

I'm just an anime-only viewer for this series so I wouldn't know :S

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #724 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:17:26 »
I just started the episode and am only 2 mins in...What bothers me already is how censored it is (I assume the manga wasn't this way).  Half the ****ing screen was black.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #725 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:17:49 »
I just started the episode and am only 2 mins in...What bothers me already is how censored it is (I assume the manga wasn't this way).  Half the ****ing screen was black.

Nope manga was pretty gorey/gruesome

Actually you know that first scene it starts out with? That's not actually in the manga if I recall...
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #726 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:18:50 »

I didn't notice the black marks until someone commented on them on forums

There wasn't much censoring in Akame Ga Kill, if you're into that stuff lol

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #727 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:25:50 »

Actually you know that first scene it starts out with? That's not actually in the manga if I recall...

Yeah I liked how little censoring there was in Akme Ga Kill, it looks like a good adaptation so far.  I can't wait for esdese and the jaegers.  They did cut out a missing leg and a little gore though.

And I think the gore/gruesomeness is a huge reason I would watch tokyo ghoul as I know nothing about the story.  I really hope this censoring isn't going to continue for the whole season.  Hell I would have been fine if they just showed blood splatter or something and had it off screen.  But the fact that they just blacked out half the screen bothers me.

edit:  after finishing it...the missing quote sifo was talking about would have made it so much better.  Think I'm going to pick it up though even despite the censoring.  I think I'm really going tolike Touka.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 16:10:55 by Xenderwind »

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #728 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 15:21:50 »
Ahh the censorship is REAL in episode two of Tokyo Ghoul :S

Anyone watch Zankyou no Terror yet? It's in queue for me

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #729 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 15:37:13 »

Watched ep 2 of ghoul and downloaded the terror but havent seen it yet.  I think the first 2 ep of it got shown at AX last week.

I also read the first 4 chapters of tokyo ghoul and I honestly like the anime adaptation more (except for the censoring part).  They cut out a lot and change the story a bit which I thought made it better.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #730 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 15:51:18 »

Yeah I liked how little censoring there was in Akme Ga Kill, it looks like a good adaptation so far.  I can't wait for esdese and the jaegers.  They did cut out a missing leg and a little gore though.

And I think the gore/gruesomeness is a huge reason I would watch tokyo ghoul as I know nothing about the story.  I really hope this censoring isn't going to continue for the whole season.  Hell I would have been fine if they just showed blood splatter or something and had it off screen.  But the fact that they just blacked out half the screen bothers me.

edit:  after finishing it...the missing quote sifo was talking about would have made it so much better.  Think I'm going to pick it up though even despite the censoring.  I think I'm really going tolike Touka.

Japan really likes the whole missing limbs thing...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #731 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 15:51:49 »

Watched ep 2 of ghoul and downloaded the terror but havent seen it yet.  I think the first 2 ep of it got shown at AX last week.

I also read the first 4 chapters of tokyo ghoul and I honestly like the anime adaptation more (except for the censoring part).  They cut out a lot and change the story a bit which I thought made it better.

cant be friends
I love Elzy

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #732 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 16:24:59 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #733 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 16:45:21 »
cant be friends

Show Image

Wow..  if you look at the energy in that picture..  assuming the car is a camry (3263lbs) @40mph and the kid weighs 130lbs,     

He'd have to accelerate his body to ~198.6mph to punch through the car like that.

what anime is that from

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #734 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 16:47:25 »
/r/theydidthemath

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #735 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 17:31:41 »
cant be friends

Show Image

Wow..  if you look at the energy in that picture..  assuming the car is a camry (3263lbs) @40mph and the kid weighs 130lbs,     

He'd have to accelerate his body to ~198.6mph to punch through the car like that.

what anime is that from
Midori Days
There’s no actual car punching though, the guy’s classmates were making up stories about how he hurt his hand

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #736 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 18:36:56 »
cant be friends

Show Image

what anime is that from
Midori Days
There’s no actual car punching though, the guy’s classmates were making up stories about how he hurt his hand

Mfw I watched/downloaded and loved midori days as it was airing in high school... Mfw that shows my age...

Offline Laiin

« Reply #737 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 01:53:27 »
The have watched list is long so i will post my currently watching list and a recommend list:

Watching:
Nichijou
Strike witches (kinda stopped watching this for now)
Kerub (french anime-styled cartoon)

Recommending:
Welcome to the NHK (has to be on the top  :p)
Black rock shooter (first anime i ever finished)
Sword art online (season 1)
Squid girl
Wakfu (made by the people who made kerub)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #738 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 01:56:22 »
The have watched list is long so i will post my currently watching list and a recommend list:

Watching:
Nichijou

Recommending:
Squid girl
did you just recommend sword art online

we're ****ing done here boys abandon thread
I love Elzy

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #739 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 01:57:05 »

Watching:
Nichijou

Recommending:
Squid girl

His avatar doesn't help...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #740 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 01:59:43 »
nah I don't mind that, but sao is a joke come on

I am judging hardcore right now
I love Elzy

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #741 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 02:00:09 »

Watching:
Nichijou

Recommending:
Welcome to the NHK (has to be on the top  :p )

Squid girl

Sifo, calm down with the pitchfork

It's not like NGE didn't have some scenes that made you question the sanity of the animation team and their budget

I've heard a lot of good things about NHK and I should add that to my list :P

Zankyou no Terror has an epic episode 1; seems it could develop into an awesome thriller

Offline Laiin

« Reply #742 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 02:08:01 »

I recommended season 1 yes, and why is that a problem? Too mainstream or something? Point is i liked it therefor i recommend it.

Offline Laiin

« Reply #743 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 02:10:23 »
His avatar doesn't help...
Its actually just a random reaction image that had the right size for the avatar, i dont even know what anime she is from  :rolleyes:

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #744 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 02:28:05 »

I guess I'm the only one that was judging more for the strike witches than the sao  :)).

Offline Laiin

« Reply #745 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 02:35:05 »
I guess I'm the only one that was judging more for the strike witches than the sao  :)).
Never said i liked SW  ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #746 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 07:16:02 »

Sifo 's mad bro?

I don't like sword art much either..

but..

I am interested in why YOU don't like sword art..

Dooo enlighten..

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #747 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 07:21:20 »

Sifo 's mad bro?

I don't like sword art much either..

but..

I am interested in why YOU don't like sword art..

Dooo enlighten..

Can I chime in, now to start with I don't watch many cartoons, but I actually have seen this as a friend told me it was cool, personally I really enjoyed it although after number 14 it should of ended just my opinion.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Lanx

« Reply #748 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:37:47 »
b4 SAO, there wasn't a good enough anime that tried to depict a mmo decently, there were all dumb hack.sign ****ty ****s. (now theres log horizon, that **** is pretty much a mmo anime, actually felt like they were playing everquest, it was amazing)

for the genre it's tops, for character development it could have been better, while kirito does a decent job of going through the paces, they really just said F- character development, and just up his skill to 11.

this anime also has the most side, sided characters around, anyone remember klein? nope he gets intro'd in eps 1 then shoe-horned in 10 eps later, if this is for story purposes (characters are not constant and might not be, b/c of the whole perma death) it does not work in a story driven anime where ppl look to characters to figure out wtf is going on. we can only look from kirito's POV for so long, and unfortunately he's not a fleshed out enough character.

it sounds negative, but it's not i give SAO a nice solid 7.5, soley b/c we're only invested in the main char kirito.

a more expansive focus on other characters like accel world, gets a nice8

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #749 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:43:02 »
If you want a nice MMO anime, I would suggest Log Horizon!