Author Topic: Please help! Pulled stem right off the switch  (Read 4403 times)

Offline onlyjjp

Please help! Pulled stem right off the switch
« on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 09:27:46 »
Hello all,
I recently purchased a Choc Mini and bought some O-rings to dampen the sound a bit. Upon trying to take the windows key out, the whole stem came off along with the keycap http://imgur.com/pfbKrCo
I have no idea how to put it back on and I need some help. I would greatly appreciate it, thank you!
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 09:33:45 by onlyjjp »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Please help! Pulled stem right off the switch
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 09:33:03 »
You will have to desolder the switch and most likely need to replace it with a new switch and resolder. You might get away with simply reassembling the desoldered switch but it may not work depending on if anything was damaged.

Offline onlyjjp

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 09:42:53 »
Is there no other easier way than to desolder? I honestly have no clue how to perform it and even with watching reviews I feel I will be too scared to even test it as this is my first mechanical keyboard.
Would it be an option to just press the stem down from the top? I might just leave it as is since its just the windows key.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 09:43:46 »
You can certainly try it but I'm 95% sure you'll have to desolder it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 11:35:28 »
If it's a plate mounted board (so pretty much any modern board that isn't an OG poker), you will have to desolder, unfortunately. It's a lot easier than you think.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 12:03:56 »
If you don't know anybody locally who can do it, I'll fix it for free as long as you cover shipping. :]

Offline onlyjjp

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:46:25 »
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks as if it is indeed metal plated so the only way is to desolder.
I sent you a PM Lastpilot.

Offline onlyjjp

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 20:43:44 »
I just wanted to share my positive experience I had with Lastpilot. One word, AWESOME!
What actually caught me by surprise was besides the fact that he was going to fix my keyboard for free, he offered to install super bright LED's for the CAPSLOCK, NUMLOCK, and SCRLOCK just so it makes it worthwhile for me as I covered the cost of shipping both ways. Not only that, he included a geekhack keycap! ;D These extras did not have to be offered as fixing my keyboard for free was more than I could as for, but he went above and beyond.
He had been very responsive and helpful each step of the way and even sent me pictures of the process(posted below).

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 20:54:51 »
I'll be doing free simple fixes for a while, just PM me for now if you need it. Services thread will be opening sometime tomorrow with more details!  :]

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 05:07:28 »
I just wanted to share my positive experience I had with Lastpilot. One word, AWESOME!
What actually caught me by surprise was besides the fact that he was going to fix my keyboard for free, he offered to install super bright LED's for the CAPSLOCK, NUMLOCK, and SCRLOCK just so it makes it worthwhile for me as I covered the cost of shipping both ways. Not only that, he included a geekhack keycap! ;D These extras did not have to be offered as fixing my keyboard for free was more than I could as for, but he went above and beyond.
He had been very responsive and helpful each step of the way and even sent me pictures of the process(posted below).

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wow. Way to go the extra mile, Lastpilot!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 05:15:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wow. Way to go the extra mile, Lastpilot!

+1

Excellent service - but setting the bar high for himself :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 09:32:29 »
+1

Excellent service - but setting the bar high for himself :p

Haha. Yeah... be careful or you might get bombarded with requests. :D

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 13:37:42 »
he's also way better at taking pictures than I am. Way to go lastpilot!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 20:45:27 »
So would this qualify Lastpilot for a Maker's badge?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Magna224

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 21:48:07 »
A friend of mine pulled a switch stem right out the top of the switch on a quickfire rapid. I just crammed it back in and it worked fine for the 2 years I had the keyboard. (I think it would be pretty risky to do but I didn't really care and it worked out.) The normal way is desoldering and opening the switch up and putting it back in like everyone has said.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 00:19:04 »
A friend of mine pulled a switch stem right out the top of the switch on a quickfire rapid. I just crammed it back in and it worked fine for the 2 years I had the keyboard. (I think it would be pretty risky to do but I didn't really care and it worked out.) The normal way is desoldering and opening the switch up and putting it back in like everyone has said.

You can be lucky :)

But there again these are quite small parts involved, and it doesn't take much damage to one part to render the switch useless.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 02:13:32 »
stupid question, but why didnt it work to remove the top cover?

Offline kohi

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 02:57:07 »

the switch cover? probably cause it's plate mounted. i think you can only pop it open if it's a pcb mounted switch or if you have a custom plate that allows the top to be removed :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 04:45:27 »

the switch cover? probably cause it's plate mounted. i think you can only pop it open if it's a pcb mounted switch or if you have a custom plate that allows the top to be removed :)

^^This. Normal plate mounted boards don't have cutouts in the plate around the switch to allow you to remove the switch tops, so you have to desolder the switch and remove it from the plate / PCB assembly in order top open it.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.