Author Topic: Help me trouble shoot Unicomp 122 terminal PS/2  (Read 2278 times)

Offline bazemk1979

Help me trouble shoot Unicomp 122 terminal PS/2
« on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 01:23:38 »
Hi guys I'm currently tuping on Lexmark 122 terminal board with blue cube adapter, bought a new black color Unicomp of ebay for descent price thats PS/2 and really want to be able to use it. But thing it is cant get it to work, I did not tried plugging it in PS/2 direct, should work with the blue cube anyways. Also I think the cable sort of got warmish after being plugged in for 20 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Help me trouble shoot Unicomp 122 terminal PS/2
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 04:07:26 »
Hi guys I'm currently tuping on Lexmark 122 terminal board with blue cube adapter, bought a new black color Unicomp of ebay for descent price thats PS/2 and really want to be able to use it. But thing it is cant get it to work, I did not tried plugging it in PS/2 direct, should work with the blue cube anyways. Also I think the cable sort of got warmish after being plugged in for 20 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Try a different computer, the usb on that particular motherboard might not have enough power.

OR, it could be that the 5v rail on your power supply is super weak. This is less likely

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 07:45:41 »
Cable getting warm doesn't sound good. And usually a sign of too much power flowing rather than too little! It could mean that the keyboard is fried.

Otherwise, at least some of these PS/2 122s from Unicomp have a jumper that can be removed to put them into a 'code set 3' mode, which would not be compatible with a blue cube. It's highly unlikely to have fallen off during transit though (and pretty unlikely to have been removed, I would imagine). On some it's JP3 and on others it's JP2.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 08:41:24 »
Cable getting warm doesn't sound good. And usually a sign of too much power flowing rather than too little! It could mean that the keyboard is fried.

Otherwise, at least some of these PS/2 122s from Unicomp have a jumper that can be removed to put them into a 'code set 3' mode, which would not be compatible with a blue cube. It's highly unlikely to have fallen off during transit though (and pretty unlikely to have been removed, I would imagine). On some it's JP3 and on others it's JP2.
so what you are saying warm cable means something wrong with the keyboard in first place or?  BTW the mobo should be descent its ASUS ROG III and the power supply is Corsair 1000W

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 08:49:46 »
so what you are saying warm cable means something wrong with the keyboard in first place or?  BTW the mobo should be descent its ASUS ROG III and the power supply is Corsair 1000W
I'm not thinking it's your computer. If it was your computer, it would be doing the same thing with every keyboard you plugged into it, wouldn't it?
Now are you sure that you're blue cube adapter is functioning properly? If it was broken that could potentially be where the problem is.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 10:31:29 »
so what you are saying warm cable means something wrong with the keyboard in first place or?
Probably :(

The only time I've heard of a warm cable before is after Paranoid applied power backwards! It was confusing though, because it didn't seem to be drawing enough current to heat the cable up. See here.

Of course, that isn't necessarily what's happened to yours! But it sounds similar. There's not a complete short, because that would cause the USB port to cut power (hopefully!), but logically it must be drawing excessive current to be able to heat a cable up.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 14:38:33 »
I'm not thinking it's your computer. If it was your computer, it would be doing the same thing with every keyboard you plugged into it, wouldn't it?
Now are you sure that you're blue cube adapter is functioning properly? If it was broken that could potentially be where the problem is.
yes the blue cube adapter works fine with every Model M including my current keyboard which is Lexmark terminal 122 Model M also, and the USB port its fine cause after I was done testing Unicomp I plugged back in the Lexmark and all is fine.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 14:41:07 »
so what you are saying warm cable means something wrong with the keyboard in first place or?
Probably :(

The only time I've heard of a warm cable before is after Paranoid applied power backwards! It was confusing though, because it didn't seem to be drawing enough current to heat the cable up. See here.

Of course, that isn't necessarily what's happened to yours! But it sounds similar. There's not a complete short, because that would cause the USB port to cut power (hopefully!), but logically it must be drawing excessive current to be able to heat a cable up.
i have 14 days return policy, what would be your guess Soarer, more of an faulty keyboard and ask for replacement or should I get full refund. I have no problem to give it a shot with another one, the keyboard looks smexy lol

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 16:16:53 »
i have 14 days return policy, what would be your guess Soarer, more of an faulty keyboard and ask for replacement or should I get full refund. I have no problem to give it a shot with another one, the keyboard looks smexy lol

Not sure which I'd do... probably try a replacement, I think. And ask the seller to test it first!