Author Topic: massdrop ergodox keycap finish  (Read 1920 times)

Offline fantus

massdrop ergodox keycap finish
« on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:21:06 »
Just received my ergodox; coming from realforce and previously a filco, the massdrop keycaps feel a lot like sandpaper…
Speaking of sandpaper, would it be bad if I used a fine finish sandpaper and individually smoothed the keycaps, and would this produce a similar result to the filco or realforce?
I appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

Offline tbc

Re: massdrop ergodox keycap finish
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 02:46:43 »
ps,

you have PBT caps with normal pbt texture (rough).  you want SMOOTH ABS keycaps (make sure you're asking for smooth; there are rough ABS caps out there as well).

I'd take a look at classifieds and see if anyone has an ABS ergodox set.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline fantus

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:21:32 »
Hmm i'll probably check that out. Does that mean that smooth pbt keycaps don't exist outside of Topre? I would be happier with pbt as my sweaty hands do cause key-shine on the abs plastic.
Thanks for the response.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 December 2013, 13:24:22 »
I find that imsto's PBT caps are the roughest, then Cherry is less rough, and BSP is least rough. I generally don't like PBT because of how rough it feels. I've sold off all but one set of PBT because I prefer ABS but I liked the BSP I tried.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 12:21:44 »
The rougher the better. PBT > *

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:03:32 »
I find that imsto's PBT caps are the roughest, then Cherry is less rough, and BSP is least rough. I generally don't like PBT because of how rough it feels. I've sold off all but one set of PBT because I prefer ABS but I liked the BSP I tried.

i don't really care about the surface... how well the stem is made makes all the difference..

the imsto stems are great, and very smooth, vs the original KBC pbt sets which had much rougher stems.