Author Topic: Apparently I registered for geekhack 15 years ago  (Read 3313 times)

Offline djones

Apparently I registered for geekhack 15 years ago
« on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 14:34:55 »
Randomly logged in today for the first time in years and apparently I registered April 14 2008  :eek:

That's it, just wanted to create a thread so I can reply in another 15  :thumb:

Offline PlayBox

Re: Apparently I registered for geekhack 15 years ago
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 15:36:51 »
bruh you really been here for long time you posted some on 2018 and then its 2010 that's a long time. hope to see you more frequently now...or not maybe in another few years lol
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 16:03:37 »
how do we know you're not a bot which hacked the REAL djones.

Offline djones

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 05:59:09 »
bruh you really been here for long time you posted some on 2018 and then its 2010 that's a long time. hope to see you more frequently now...or not maybe in another few years lol

I got carpel tunnel/RSI in my left hand in 2007 or so and mechanical keyboards basically saved my career. Don't really need to think too much about it any more since I'm mostly healed. Still, glad mechanical keyboards are now mainstream... back then I had to ebay stuff from Japan just to find the right board.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 06:27:03 »
2008 a true OG

man, what was 2008 even like? I can barely remember...

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 13:44:19 »
2008 a true OG

I was five, so hell if I know.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 April 2023, 12:29:10 »
Randomly logged in today for the first time in years and apparently I registered April 14 2008  :eek:

That's it, just wanted to create a thread so I can reply in another 15  :thumb:

This is sort of how it worked for me.  I registered in 2011, and have only been sporadically active on the site in short periods spaced out by years. I'm back in keyboard land now because of Ellipse's newly announced ANSI Model F, which may well be the last board I ever buy.

I think the issue is: once I have a nice keyboard that I'm happy with, what's my incentive to stick around and talk about it?  There's only so much you can really say or read about any particular keyswitch mechanism before you start repeating yourself. So, every few years when I got it in my head to buy a new keyboard, I'd come in here all gung-ho about my newest find, then I'd get the keyboard, then talk about it for a bit, how it compared to other keyboards, likes and dislikes, etc... then move on to some other hobby that needed my attention because my keyboard problem was solved.

What else is there to say? It's a keyboard. It doesn't change. Capacitive buckling springs are going to feel like capacitive buckling springs 1, 2, 5 and 10 years from now, and there's already 10,000 people on here who have told you exactly what they feel like. What am I adding?

As to early GH:

Though I registered in '11, well after OP, I lurked before that and was probably around at least in '09 or '10. The early GH forums were dominated by a user called Ripster, (I think) the current admin over at the mechanical keyboards subreddit, and it was a very different environment to today. GH was the first forum dedicated to keyboards so things were more active when there was less division.  The keyboard community itself was much smaller though, so it didn't take as much to be considered a knowledge expert. There weren't as many mechanical switches being made so most of the talk was about rediscovering and quantifying older key switches, and maybe in some extreme cases finding ways to make older keyboards interface with newer machines (though things like the Soarer's converter were still a ways off.) 

When people did talk about newer switches it was about things like MX blues and Das Keyboard, which at the time were held in a much higher regard.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline djones

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 00:21:48 »
Yeah, basically the same. After trying probably every keyboard that wasn't super rare or esoteric, I settled on Filco blues and browns (honorable mention to Compaq's mx11800 before I found the filco's... at one point I had over 15 of them since they were out of production). It's perfect and I can type on it all day every day without fatigue. And it's in production and I can have a new one delivered from amazon tomorrow morning if I need a new one.

So unless Filco (or diatech, I guess) goes out of business, I have little reason to try anything new... the only thing I would really be interested in is something that is exactly like the cherry blues, but quieter. Actually, maybe also a travel keyboard with switches comparable to the blues/browns, so I don't have to use my laptop keyboard (ugh) on business trips.

Also, one interesting thing I learned on here was that the same switch on different boards feels quite different... for example I really hated Das's keyboard (blue switches), I think because of the weird keycaps? That discouraged me from trying other cherry-switch keyboards because there's a whole lot of other variables that other manufacturers would get wrong.

If I were more into ergonomic/non-standard layouts, I can see posting here more often, since layout has more room for innovation... I tried the few ergonomic boards available 15 years ago (all expensive) and I figured out that my type of RSI does not benefit from non-standard layouts.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 April 2023, 00:23:29 by djones »

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 16:28:56 »

I only registered in 2011, about 3 years after you:  2011-03-10, 02:18:14

I drop in here once in a while.  You're welcome before 15 years ; )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 22:03:43 »
2008 a true OG

Not long after highschool, probably drunk and puffin cigs. Now here we are, beating dredge.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 06:20:42 »
I joined in 2012 and spent a fair bit of my time on here back then (43 days, 22 hours and 55 minutes.). I remember being in mIRC and chatting with Smallfry and when he helped me put a program on my mp3 player and I remember kmiller8 when they were not banned and lots of other users who I see some are still active and some are not.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 06:35:51 »
2008 a true OG

2008 was 9800gtx vs HD4870, 

the year that ATI totally won.   Grid became playable, and ever1 were like, oh man, turn off post processing, cuz that color's messed up.

Tp4 were using a Dell 3007wfp back then, good times.   no color calibrate, just messed up colors all the way.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 08:56:56 »
keyboards man

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 15:33:17 »
One of the best years of my life. Basically one large romance.

Oh, also, parts of the world economy went brrrrrrrr, but that didn't affect me much.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury