Author Topic: Mac Pro Can  (Read 11322 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Mac Pro Can
« on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:07:11 »
I'd say this thing is pretty cool..

If only it was user upgradable... I honestly wouldn't mind the price which will probably be 10k for the 12core :'(

No one can ride 2x graphics cards for the 4 years it'll take for another refresh.

and no ddr 4, when ddr4 will definitely launch in 2 years.

Do you think they'll launch a Can 2 in 2 years?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Mac Pro Can
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:09:11 »
can you believe they didn't use a RAM spec that hasn't been launched?!

for real this thing looks like if the G4 cube and the subwoofer from those harmon kardon dildo speakers got together and make a mistake
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:10:17 »
Interesting... I thought this was a troll post at first... But HOLY **** IT IS A CAN!!!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:11:08 »

for real this thing looks like if the G4 cube and the subwoofer from those harmon kardon dildo speakers got together and make a mistake

why do you think it's a mistake though..

I think the central cooling is a great idea....

but I guess you could call it a cop-out in the sense that this thing will not run at very high clocks.

But then workstation isn't meant to.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:11:51 »
Interesting... I thought this was a troll post at first... But HOLY **** IT IS A CAN!!!

Lets clear this up though.. .I think the CAN is a good idea...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:11:52 »
as in, a drunken 'mistake'

as in, how i was conceived  :llama: :llama:
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:13:25 »

I am starting to understand why you've come across as an insecure bastard in our previous encounters...

You should really put aside that view of yourself... it's self defeating...

chillax bro... no one's judging you...

I think most of your analysis on things outside of your rabid fanboism is quite good.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:13:59 »

I am starting to understand why you've come across as an insecure bastard in our previous encounters...

Except me.

But that's because I'm judging you for an award.  Best use of will smith avatars.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:15:30 »

Except me.

But that's because I'm judging you for an award.  Best use of will smith avatars.

2 of my fan club members in 1 thread... wh00t.... you guys gonna make this one interesting?

Or am I putting too much pressure on ya'll to 'perform.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:20:19 »

Except me.

2 of my fan club members in 1 thread... wh00t.... you guys gonna make this one interesting?

That's creepy.  Let the fans come to you but never invite them in.

But no, I actually dig the looks, too.  Won't buy one, but that doesn't denigrate it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:23:48 »

Except me.

That's creepy.  Let the fans come to you but never invite them in.

But no, I actually dig the looks, too.  Won't buy one, but that doesn't denigrate it.

that, or I've already used this initiative to plot 3rd order trolling, which anti trolls reverse trolling by trolling.. :D

But, yea,, I too really dig the Can Aesthetics... It looks very futuristic, reminds me of the anime techno-verse.. bebop//gits

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:25:58 »
This could have been a serious discussion.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:27:59 »

I think most of your analysis on things outside of your rabid fanboism is quite good.

stop projecting your mainstream ideas of legitimate birth and family structure onto me. im glad i grew up weird.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:34:15 »
stop projecting your mainstream ideas
Riiiiiiight. :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:37:55 »

stop projecting your mainstream ideas of legitimate birth and family structure onto me. im glad i grew up weird.

no you misunderstood... I don't think less of you for how you came to be... I just don't think you need to remain so defensive, rigid and perturbed when you're online.

There's no one trying to actively harm you on GH.. minus the commercial interests perhaps...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:42:31 »
This could have been a serious discussion.

Hey rowdy... I can carry multiple streams at once... as in I can continue the serious discussion on the Can, while appeasing my fan club, namely sth, and tjcaustin, unless you were also a member, but I haven't noticed you as much as those two..

Anyway..

Yes the Mac Can...   I think this is a fantastic product, and it's great because it demonstrates what you can achieve with a slim product line.

HP, Dell, those vendors have too bloated and have too much stuff going on..  They're far less nimble, and slow to adapt to new markets.

However, I find that the Mac Can won't cater to professionals all that well.. because most pros would know about obsolescence and opt for something they can tinker with..

Which is why I'm really wondering if the mac Pro will be some what upgradable in terms of the graphics at least...

Offline orlando

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:47:48 »
In a way I am excited about the mac pro because like many I've been dying for a refresh for some time now, however I am also saddened by the lack of expandability. I would have preferred the original slot filled design for internal expandability. Also the fact that apple claims it is the "most expandable mac" kinda ticks me off because in current form it doesn't even support PCI express 3.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:49:34 »
In a way I am excited about the mac pro because like many I've been dying for a refresh for some time now, however I am also saddened by the lack of expandability. I would have preferred the original slot filled design for internal expandability. Also the fact that apple claims it is the "most expandable mac" kinda ticks me off because in current form it doesn't even support PCI express 3.

well, i think they mean thunderbolt 2 will make up for the lack pci 3.

Since they're not going to let you upgrade graphics cards,  what else are you going to put in that would utilize pci 3.

the thunderbolt goes through the pci 3 bus anyway..

Offline orlando

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:58:23 »

Since they're not going to let you upgrade graphics cards,  what else are you going to put in that would utilize pci 3.

I suppose, but I would have still preferred a revision of the previous model rather than a completely new design. Not saying I don't like it ... I just don't like it as much  :))
I'll probably still pick one up on launch day. If only it made coffee and had different color options lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:02:40 »

I suppose, but I would have still preferred a revision of the previous model rather than a completely new design. Not saying I don't like it ... I just don't like it as much  :))
I'll probably still pick one up on launch day. If only it made coffee and had different color options lol
Show Image

The one other thing with the mac pro is, external raid arrays that use thunderbolt are not as good as the pcie3 cards..

I guess mac'll probably release a good one that costs another $2000

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:06:46 »
I want to see it boot up and say "EXTERMINATE!!!  EXTERMINATE!!!"

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:29:16 »
Wait.... 10GRAND?! No way, even with twelve cores, dual GPUs, and 32GB of RAM (or whatever outrageous number this is)...  For more than 2k cheaper you can have yourself an even better rig, and it doesn't look like a trashcan! Two 3TB HDDs, 512GB SSD boot drive, Two 6 core Xeons, 32GB of DDR3 ECC memory, AMD FirePro W9000 (workstation graphics card), 1500 watt PSU, and a Corsair 800D to house it.
"No"- Greed

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:30:54 »

I had one of each of those!
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:32:46 »
Wait.... 10GRAND?! No way, even with twelve cores, dual GPUs, and 32GB of RAM (or whatever outrageous number this is)...  For more than 2k cheaper you can have yourself an even better rig, and it doesn't look like a trashcan! Two 3TB HDDs, 512GB SSD boot drive, Two 6 core Xeons, 32GB of DDR3 ECC memory, AMD FirePro W9000 (workstation graphics card), 1500 watt PSU, and a Corsair 800D to house it.
Show Image

hardware spec-wise, yes. you're clearly not taking the operating system choice into account, and whatever your preference, plenty of users prefer OS X for work and whatever else. shocking!! you could maybe get a hackintosh working but then you'd have to find kexts every time you update. boring, waste of time to me... so i still buy apple hardware.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:46:34 »
Show Image

Well... maybe 10 grand is high, but it's not out of the question from apple.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:53:43 »
Show Image

Keep in mind that the macpro is a workstation. Additionally (and here's the feature I like) it features very fast PCIE-based SSD storage. Depending on capacity, I can see the bulk of the price going there.

Can anyone link me to more info? I saw pictures of the WWDC thing, but they weren't very forthcoming on features, and their current page isn't very forthcoming
https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

I mean workstations can get expensive. I worked on one earlier this year that I'm told was $15,000+ new. (I replaced the motherboard, it worked)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 22:55:46 »
Show Image

Keep in mind that the macpro is a workstation. Additionally (and here's the feature I like) it features very fast PCIE-based SSD storage. Depending on capacity, I can see the bulk of the price going there.

Can anyone link me to more info? I saw pictures of the WWDC thing, but they weren't very forthcoming on features, and their current page isn't very forthcoming
https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

what more do you need to know  12core xeon, crossfire "standard" feature dual firegl

everything else is the same stuff we've seen on PCs.. ram, ssd, wifi,

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:18:36 »
I can imagine third parties coming out with either paint or stickers to change the colour.  I'll have a yellow one please :)

Size-wise, it is great that Apple can pack a heftier punch into a case a fraction of the size of the old one.

Upgradeability-wise - the strong point of the old Mac Pro was its upgradeability.  The one and only Mac that is fully user-upgradeable (aside from the old PowerMacs from yesteryear, of which I have 2 btw).

I'm wondering whether the Mac mini will soon be reborn in cylindrical guise.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:20:50 »
I can imagine third parties coming out with either paint or stickers to change the colour.  I'll have a yellow one please :)

Size-wise, it is great that Apple can pack a heftier punch into a case a fraction of the size of the old one.

Upgradeability-wise - the strong point of the old Mac Pro was its upgradeability.  The one and only Mac that is fully user-upgradeable (aside from the old PowerMacs from yesteryear, of which I have 2 btw).

it's basically a ROUND macbook pro.. laptop style components with a big core cooler.

Great idea.. but I want harddrives and real raid damn it... UNLESS this thing supports good hardware raid over thunderbolt..  hm... that would be nice..

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 00:18:24 »
I'd say this thing is pretty cool..

If only it was user upgradable... I honestly wouldn't mind the price which will probably be 10k for the 12core :'(

No one can ride 2x graphics cards for the 4 years it'll take for another refresh.

and no ddr 4, when ddr4 will definitely launch in 2 years.

Do you think they'll launch a Can 2 in 2 years?

I know that there will be a couple dozen "copies" and this will probably open the door for other shapes. Watch ebay.

I had one of each of those!

Yea, I know, I couldn't wait to buy it off ya at your yard sale.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 05:02:39 »
Ignoring the cost (becasue it's an Apple product) I think it looks pretty amazing. Again Dieter Rams stuff getting updated and changed slightly, but that's not really a bad thing.

If I could afford it and if this had a good amount of gaming grunt I'd buy one in a second. But as is I think it looks really ****ing cool.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 06:24:25 »

it's basically a ROUND macbook pro.. laptop style components with a big core cooler.

Great idea.. but I want harddrives and real raid damn it... UNLESS this thing supports good hardware raid over thunderbolt..  hm... that would be nice..

i think that's where they are going with it.  all the expansion will be done through thunderbolt.  i've seen some good stuff from it already like external thunderbolt PCI E GPUS.  its a cool idea but i've been pretty disappointing with apple since Steve died.  I feel like quality of their products are degrading after every release.  Who knows though, maybe they just need some time to rebound.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 06:27:50 »

i think that's where they are going with it.  all the expansion will be done through thunderbolt.  i've seen some good stuff from it already like external thunderbolt PCI E GPUS.  its a cool idea but i've been pretty disappointing with apple since Steve died.  I feel like quality of their products are degrading after every release.  Who knows though, maybe they just need some time to rebound.

You say that, but the 3G and 3GS are two of the most hideous devices ever made.

Offline badcop

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 06:33:13 »

no i agree with you completely.  i'm not saying EVERYTHING steve jobs laid his hands on was gold.  I've just encountered more bugs in the last year with my apple products than ever.  Mountain lion is a god damned mess and i've been through 3 iphone 5s due to faulty sleep buttons.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 06:37:00 »

no i agree with you completely.  i'm not saying EVERYTHING steve jobs laid his hands on was gold.  I've just encountered more bugs in the last year with my apple products than ever.  Mountain lion is a god damned mess and i've been through 3 iphone 5s due to faulty sleep buttons.

My iphone 5 also has a broken lock/sleep button, I've just not replaced it yet becasue I can't be without my phone for like 4 days... but good to know i'm not alone..

But on a software side, iTunes has been garbage for along time now lol

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 08:02:05 »
They're really running out of ideas/designs to steal. Now they're stealing trash can designs from 2006?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 09:56:22 »
did they say it's 2 x 6 core, or 1x 12core

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:11:37 »
First time finding out about this, what the actual f***.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:13:31 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:19:02 »
Show Image

I would preorder that even if it were 15k... 20k would be too steep, as i could get some much better memorabilia

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:22:16 »

Six dual-core?

Nah, gotta be two hex-cores.  Easy with AMD, expensive* with Intel.  Dual hex-core Xeon is the current server standard, and you can buy ATX desktop boards for it now.

*Oops!  I forgot who we are talking about here.  Dual hex-core Intel processors would fit just fine in Apple's pricing model.  "Expensive is the new cheap!"

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline badcop

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:23:01 »

i think its 1 6 core with 12 threads.  idk how they have the room or ability to remove enough heat to put 2 haswells in there

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:35:22 »
The interface for the Mac Pro page is horrid, but they do show you the inside of the thing and it has a single socket.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline badcop

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:40:23 »
The interface for the Mac Pro page is horrid, but they do show you the inside of the thing and it has a single socket.

"offering up to 12 cores of processing power"

up to is the key word(S) here. $$$$

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:49:51 »

Show Image

They show a single socket, but they'd deploy dual hex.  Reading the fine print on the image, we get:

Intel Xeon E5-2420 Sandy Bridge-EN 1.9GHz (2.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1356 95W Six-Core Server Processor BX80621E52420
    Series: Intel Xeon E5 Family
    L3 Cache: 15MB
    Manufacturing Tech: 32 nm
    64 bit Support: Yes
    Model #: BX80621E52420
    Item #: 9B-19-117-278

NewEggBusiness Retail Price: $404.99

Through...

Intel Xeon E5-1660 Sandy Bridge-EP 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Server Processor BX80621E51660
    L2 Cache: 6 x 256KB
    Model #: BX80621E51660
    Item #: 9B-19-117-273
    NewEggBusiness Retail Price: $1,086.99

Prices above are for ONE chip, so TWO would be four times as much (Apple Pricing ModelTM.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline badcop

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 11:03:43 »

Show Image

They show a single socket, but they'd deploy dual hex.  Reading the fine print on the image, we get:

Intel Xeon E5-2420 Sandy Bridge-EN 1.9GHz (2.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1356 95W Six-Core Server Processor BX80621E52420

Through...

Intel Xeon E5-1660 Sandy Bridge-EP 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Server Processor BX80621E51660

Prices above are for ONE chip, so TWO would be four times as much (Apple Pricing ModelTM.)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

im seeing everyone losing their minds over 12 cores but most fail to realize that the price of it is going to be through the roof.  most consumers will have to settle for a single 6.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 11:40:05 »

Show Image

Through...

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

im seeing everyone losing their minds over 12 cores but most fail to realize that the price of it is going to be through the roof.  most consumers will have to settle for a single 6.

what do you mean most consumers... most consumers settle for a payment plan on a macbook.. HAHAHAHAHA

or they get an acer.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:45:51 »
Are there any people who actually use/need Mac Pro's here?? Be curious to see what they think.. Mac's are horrible to upgrade but at least the previous Mac Pro's had fairly standard parts... but the new one looks totally un-upgradable

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 01:45:16 »
honestly i think the thing is ****ing awesome, particularly the cooling. never going to get it; but much respect.

realize that apple focusing on workstations/desktops still instead of saying "the desktop PC is dead. tablets ftw" is always a good thing for everyone.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 02:08:02 »
I wonder if it will generate the copies in the PC world as the original Mac Pro did.