Author Topic: Mac Pro Can  (Read 11322 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Mac Pro Can
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 02:10:13 »
I wonder if it will generate the copies in the PC world as the original Mac Pro did.

not in the USA.

But in China... sky's the limit..

i remember all in one desktops coming out in China almost a full year before us releases

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 07:12:16 »
I wonder if it will generate the copies in the PC world as the original Mac Pro did.

If this gives us tiny gaming pcs that arnt boxes, then I'm all for it!

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 08:59:15 »

The interface for the Mac Pro page is horrid, but they do show you the inside of the thing and it has a single socket.

Show Image

"offering up to 12 cores of processing power"

up to is the key word(S) here. $$$$

They show a single socket, but they'd deploy dual hex.  Reading the fine print on the image, we get:

Intel Xeon E5-2420 Sandy Bridge-EN 1.9GHz (2.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1356 95W Six-Core Server Processor BX80621E52420
    Series: Intel Xeon E5 Family
    L3 Cache: 15MB
    Manufacturing Tech: 32 nm
    64 bit Support: Yes
    Model #: BX80621E52420
    Item #: 9B-19-117-278

NewEggBusiness Retail Price: $404.99

Through...

Intel Xeon E5-1660 Sandy Bridge-EP 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Server Processor BX80621E51660
    Series: Intel Xeon E5 Family
    L2 Cache: 6 x 256KB
    L3 Cache: 15MB
    Manufacturing Tech: 32 nm
    Model #: BX80621E51660
    Item #: 9B-19-117-273
    NewEggBusiness Retail Price: $1,086.99

Prices above are for ONE chip, so TWO would be four times as much (Apple Pricing ModelTM.)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

im seeing everyone losing their minds over 12 cores but most fail to realize that the price of it is going to be through the roof.  most consumers will have to settle for a single 6.

what do you mean most consumers... most consumers settle for a payment plan on a macbook.. HAHAHAHAHA

or they get an acer.

I meant most consumers that are in the market for a Mac Pro. I never said there were a lot of them lol
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 09:51:04 »
With only external expandability, central thermal vent and in that size, I would say that the Mac Tube is actually the spiritual successor to the Mac Cube.
Well... the Cube also had an optical disc drive.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 09:52:21 »
With only external expandability, central thermal vent and in that size, I would say that the Mac Tube is actually the spiritual successor to the Mac Cube.
Well... the Cube also had an optical disc drive.

Cube could be triple SLI version, or triple cfx

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 22:42:13 »
Apple is totally and completely relevant. This thread is just a tiny sample of why.

Apple "stole" the design from a trash can? Really? Ok, if you want to say that. But that's not copyright stealing..it would be if they copied another computer.

In the 90's I attached a motherboard, hard drive, video card and associated shizz to the wall in my office over my desk. I thought it was cool, but really I was obviously bored. People were fascinated.

Apple innovates (much of the time), but this isn't a good example...the original Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac...and some other items are good examples. I see this as just a plain old computer with some cool specs in a very sexy trash can.

RANT:

And...what's wrong with making things that look/feel good? Some of you talk like it's a bad thing. Or is it that Apple makes things that are more expensive? Or that Apple products aren't designed to be user tweakable? All of these arguments are a direct comparison to most PCs. Apple doesn't make PC's and isn't trying. It's a different product, with a different focus. It's not a direct comparison. Apple could make a dozen PC designs tomorrow, nothing special at all, and just blend into the crowd and make some money. But they don't. Everyone else already does that. Not many people walk into a store and think "Should I get Apple or a PC?". LOL
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 22:50:57 »
Build your own now for under $5,000!

2x Xeon E5-2620 hex-core CPU  (That's the 12 cores.)
ASUS Z9PE-D8 ATX Workstation motherboard
64GB DDR3-1866 Ripjaw Z Series RAM
2x Zalman 120mm Low-Noise CPU Coolers
2x Radeon HD 7970 GPU  (Expandable to Quad PCIe 3.0, but not on the Mac.)
2x 512GB SATA III 6.0Gb/s Samsung Pro Solid State Drives (SSD)
2x 4TB WD RAID Edition SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drives  (Not available on the Mac.)
Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Burner  (Not available on the Mac.)
1200W Gold & Crossfire-Certified PSU
Antec 900 USB 3.0 Mid-Tower Case*

TOTAL PRICE:  $4,682.85

*Or put it into the prettiest ATX case you like, add full custom water-cooling, and still be under $7500.

Pics below (or it didn't happen.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 22:57:50 »

2x 4TB WD RAID Edition SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drives  (Not available on the Mac.)

*Or put it into the prettiest ATX case you like, add full custom water-cooling, and still be under $7500.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Better yet, put it in a sexy trash can!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 04:27:18 »
I don't understand the benefit of trying to spec a similar PC to a Mac Pro.... If it was relevant then there wouldn't be any mac pro's

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 07:47:57 »

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

errr...  that's not ecc ram, and 2x firegls

remember we're building a workstation :D

But it seems silly to get the apple now that they annouced haswell E.. 8 core on 1 chip, DDR4..  Overclocked to 5 ghz... that thing will beat the ****ttttttt out of a Mac pro...

5ghz..... :D

The child side of my personality looks at the pretty mac and go, that's cool... Then the adult in me wakes up from a drunken rage and smackes the child side up against the head and says,, OVERCLOCKED PERFORMANCE.... raaaaghhhh

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:00:48 »

Note to self: Don't feed trolls.

- Ron I samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:42:27 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 11:53:52 »
Not ECC or WS video cards because this round thing is a desktop, not a pro workstation.  But, sure.  Change the mobo, CPUs, RAM, and GPUs and add a RAID card and you have a workstation.  Also, FYI, it is the mobo that defines the need for/support of ECC.  Desktop mobos don't, and that Xeon is targeted at core-intensive desktop use.

Also, I didn't bother speccing an OS because that is going to be a personal choice, but MS or Apple OS costs are similar, and anyone who would bother building such a system is going to be able to run OSX if they want.  I'd run Linux with Win7 and OSX in virtual machines -- there are certainly enough cores to go around.  No whining about 'Hackintosh' difficulties; that horse is well out of the barn.

In the end, only benchmarkers and people who run pro software would NEED so many cores anyhow.  And they would be buying a machine to fit an app, not the other way around.  I wouldn't mind more cores for virtualization on my desk or more for my rendering machine.  And the rendering apps run on Windows or OSX, sometimes only Windows.

The point of these shopping lists is to see what the core cost of the hardware is, because anything above that is the premium paid for industrial design and hardware/software integration.  So when the hardware listed above sells for $15,000 you know you are paying ten grand for the value of the ID and integration.  As Input Nirvana points out, those things ARE worth something in the world, and maybe they are worth the premium to you.  It is just good to know what the premium IS.

OBTW, I was an Apple employee for nine years, so the above is analysis, not bashing.  If I added a case from Rubbermade, THAT would be bashing.

Besides, I think a translucent Acrylic cylinder would be cooler than a trash can!

- Ron I samwisekoi

PC hardware $5,000
Apple hardware $15,000
Apple ID and integration cost $10,000
Samwisekoi likes translucent Acrylic cylinder
Therefore Samwisekio pays Input Nirvana $10,000 for clear tube (delivery included)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:06:42 »
It wasn't even difficult.

25608-0
ATX 'Can' System design by samwisekoi

ATX motherboard with room for dual Xeons and dual GPUs.
1200W PSU (smaller would be easier, but the design can fit a huge PSU.)
2x SATA hard drives
2x SSD
Full-size BD/DVD/CD burner (slot-load would be nicer.)
3x 80mm bottom intake fans (filtered)
1x 200mm top exhaust fan
140mm PSU fan (isolated)
I/O, power and monitor connectors in back
USB and audio connectors on top
Cherry MX Brown power switch on top  (QWERKeys Power Keycap optional)

12" diameter by 13.50" tall.  Should be 1" (2cm) above surface for intake air.

Size and speed of top exhaust fan can be adjusted to yield positive or negative air pressure.  It is negative in this configuration.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[edit]

It would fit nicely in this fine Rubbermaid product:  http://www.mscdirect.com/product/05004833

[/edit]
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:55:07 by samwisekoi »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:13:30 »
this won't work...

and lots of wasted space.  Mac design is better :D

you're gonna be blowing dust all over the thing..   it'd be really hard to clean once you have wires.

AND i highly doubt this thing will fit in 12",  you probably need 15" at least for good clearance on heatsinks..

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:27:33 »
this won't work...

you're gonna be blowing dust all over the thing..   it'd be really hard to clean once you have wires.

AND i highly doubt this thing will fit in 12",  you probably need 15" at least for good clearance on heatsinks..

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:41:33 by samwisekoi »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:29:55 »
Have mac pro's ever been value for money?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:32:07 »

(Attachment Link)

2x SATA hard drives
2x SSD
1x 200mm top exhaust fan
140mm PSU fan (isolated)

Size and speed of top exhaust fan can be adjusted to yield positive or negative air pressure.  It is negative in this configuration.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

[edit]

It would fit nicely in this fine Rubbermaid product:  http://www.mscdirect.com/product/05004833

[/edit]

How does this affect Samwisekoi giving Input Nirvana $10,000 for a clear plastic tube? (delivery included)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:35:10 »

(Attachment Link)

2x SATA hard drives
2x SSD
1x 200mm top exhaust fan
140mm PSU fan (isolated)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

[edit]

[/edit]

How does this affect Samwisekoi giving Input Nirvana $10,000 for a clear plastic tube? (delivery included)

The likelihood of that occurrence has not diminished one bit.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 16:51:42 »
this won't work...

Wow, 10 person years of industrial design and custom PCBs resulted in a better design than half an hour with Sketch-up and off-the-shelf components?  Who would have imagined such a thing?

Also, filters.  Heard of them? 

Also Xeon heatsinks.  Installed many of them, have you?  Designed for 1u and 2u chassis.

Finally, you go BUY one of the new Macs, and I'll build mine, and in 30 days we'll have a benchmark challenge.

Stay consistent my friend.

- Ron | samwisekoi

you can't run the operating system without some teeth gnashing. people always leave that part out. i would absolutely run OS X on commodity hardware* if it were as easy as installing it on apple hardware.

*except for my macbook air. my preciousssssssss
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 22:31:04 »
this won't work...

Wow, 10 person years of industrial design and custom PCBs resulted in a better design than half an hour with Sketch-up and off-the-shelf components?  Who would have imagined such a thing?

Also, filters.  Heard of them? 

Also Xeon heatsinks.  Installed many of them, have you?  Designed for 1u and 2u chassis.

Finally, you go BUY one of the new Macs, and I'll build mine, and in 30 days we'll have a benchmark challenge.

Stay consistent my friend.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Bro, filters don't work.. they do not work... they are bull ****... I've tried so many different air filters.

The ones that SORTA work restricted airflow too greatly.

I even tried cutting my own from those giant blocks for my central ac,  NO GO..

The Mac design is better than a PC design because it doesn't waste space, and there isn't a huge issue with cleaning it.

I'd assume the only air moving is through the central tube, and thus you only have to clean that and nothing else.

For your 30 min tube, you'd have to remove everything to clean it...  A regular tower case is better than that, because at least with a regular tower, you only need to open the case, you don't have to gut the thing before cleaning :D

I'm not bashing your efforts.. I just think there is good merit in apple's design this time...

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 22:43:27 »
I still want $10 ****ing thousand dollars for a clear plastic tube (delivery included) and you guys are yapping about ass filters.

Samwisekio: Let me know when, I'm ready.

my email: onegreedyandignorantbastard@gimmeyomoney.ugh

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 01:30:24 »
And probably no O/C.  Macs don't usually.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 01:52:45 »
This is what Apple did last time Jobs left...

:rolleyes:
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 08:31:55 »
Show Image

Look!  A Poker!  Before its time!

Find and refurb one of THOSE!

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:40:42 by samwisekoi »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 10:12:04 »
Show Image

Look!  A Poker!  Before its time!

Find and refurb one of THOSE!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

p.s.  You don't OC Xeons.  That isn't the point of that processor family.

Sam wtf...   

As an OG,  I've oced every thing from every processor line.

And before AMD really lost the performance crown, Xeons were also OC friendly... Many times even better, because they're at least 2-3 bins higher than the consumer stuff.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:48:37 »

you can't run the operating system without some teeth gnashing. people always leave that part out. i would absolutely run OS X on commodity hardware* if it were as easy as installing it on apple hardware.

No teeth were gnashed to accomplish this.  (A retail copy of Mac OSX was purchased, however!)

25662-0
Purchased and unmodified copy of OSX running under Linux Mint.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:49:59 »

No teeth were gnashed to accomplish this.  (A retail copy of Mac OSX was purchased, however!)

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

well, yea, but advantage of osx is to have linux and unix play well under it... you have it the other way around, it works, but i mean.. that wasn't the point ... was it?? idk what you crazy kids are up to these days...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 22:06:42 »

(Attachment Link)

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

that's not commodity hardware, it's a VM. and for whatever little (imo) it's worth, that's still  against EULA and requires workarounds unless i am mistaken?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 23:11:16 »
I can build a kick-ass hackintosh for $1k that's rack-mountable and expandable. Why would I buy this over-priced and locked down trash can?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 23:14:55 »
I can build a kick-ass hackintosh for $1k that's rack-mountable and expandable. Why would I buy this over-priced and locked down trash can?

again... nobody is saying hackintoshes are impossible or even THAT difficult. you might buy that over-priced and locked down trash can if you work in an enterprise environment that doesn't mess around when it comes to EULAs and software copyright issues (even if you personally disagree), or you don't WANT to build and configure a hackintosh, or maybe you just like the way it looks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 01:22:01 »
At least with an "over-priced and locked down trash can" you can be sure that this and every foreseeable version of OS X will Just Work on it.

With a Hackintosh there is a concern that Apple will remove support for a particular esoteric piece of hardware with any minor update.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 02:26:13 »
At least with an "over-priced and locked down trash can" you can be sure that this and every foreseeable version of OS X will Just Work on it.

With a Hackintosh there is a concern that Apple will remove support for a particular esoteric piece of hardware with any minor update.

yea but is this a $10000 feature..?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 05:49:11 »
Perhaps you exaggerate slightly.

You can spend $10,000 on a Mac, but you can also spend that much on a Windows PC.

You can also spend considerably less on a Mac.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 08:46:38 »
Perhaps you exaggerate slightly.

You can spend $10,000 on a Mac, but you can also spend that much on a Windows PC.

You can also spend considerably less on a Mac.

on PC the diminishing returns curve is an actual curve... on a Mac it's just a drop off @ $4000 because that's as much hardware as you can claim you're "getting".

$10,000 pc is quad titan + everything on the mac pro + full custom water

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 09:13:38 »
That still wouldn't run you $10k. Unless we were talking solid gold water blocks

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 09:40:13 »
that's not commodity hardware, it's a VM. and for whatever little (imo) it's worth, that's still against EULA and requires workarounds unless i am mistaken?

Sure it is a VM, but it is a fully-virtualized VM, so the OS can't tell.  Looks like bare metal to the OS and up.  Installation involved (a) insert Genuine Apple Install CD and (b) follow Apple directions for a vanilla install.

That still wouldn't run you $10k. Unless we were talking solid gold water blocks

I am frankly amazed that no one has done this yet.  Little golden trashcans...

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 09:51:45 »
that's not commodity hardware, it's a VM. and for whatever little (imo) it's worth, that's still against EULA and requires workarounds unless i am mistaken?

Sure it is a VM, but it is a fully-virtualized VM, so the OS can't tell.  Looks like bare metal to the OS and up.  Installation involved (a) insert Genuine Apple Install CD and (b) follow Apple directions for a vanilla install.

I am frankly amazed that no one has done this yet.  Little golden trashcans...

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

LOL, you must be sleepy, pure gold is too soft.