Author Topic: Engrish grammerz is lost?  (Read 9624 times)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Engrish grammerz is lost?
« on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:30:11 »
As I walk in school, I hear some things that make me think, like if I drop something, they pick it up and ask "who dis?" and yet I hear people from Colombia speak it properly and go "whose is this?"
Am I going crazy, or are people getting really lazy speaking English? It started with texting and now people seem to be talking really weirdly. Like I don't even #basic
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:34:38 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline Belfong

Re: Engrish grammerz is lost?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:31:29 »
Shouldn't it be "whose is this?"

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:34:08 »
Whatever... I'll edit it
I'm tired....

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:40:06 »
you're doing it again.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mreverything

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:41:37 »
When someone says, "who dis?" is anyone listening confused about the meaning?

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:43:11 »
I blame the thots
sell out and eat ass

Offline Belfong

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:45:15 »

Whatever... I'll edit it
Show Image

I'm tired....
Ha ha.. I'm just saying because this thread IS about correct grammar after all :)

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:45:31 »

Whatever... I'll edit it
Show Image

I'm tired....
Ha ha.. I'm just saying because this thread IS about correct grammar after all :)
It's all good man :) My main issue is when people talk in a funny way like that.
you're doing it again.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:47:15 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:19:06 »
Grammar and syntax are too hard.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:36:56 »
I never learned to speak.  I have to communicate with grunts. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:55:53 »
"who dis" would translate for me to "who is this".

Not something I would be likely to say anyway :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:07:38 »
Quasi-related:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:18:15 »
As I walk in school, I hear some things that make me think, like if I drop something, they pick it up and ask "who dis?" and yet I hear people from Colombia speak it properly and go "whose is this?"
Am I going crazy, or are people getting really lazy speaking English? It started with texting and now people seem to be talking really weirdly. Like I don't even #basic
Show Image

It puzzles me that there are people whose families have been in the United States for generations, yet their English is very poor and full of grammatical mistakes.  However, for other demographics, their parents speak broken English yet their children speak very good unaccented English.  Some is because of the friends that these children associate with.  For others, it seems like that do not want to speak proper English.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:27:14 »
Quasi-related:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
I applaud you for typing this...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:31:18 »
I alawys lveod seineg thsoe exmalpes of wrtniig, taht wree acuallty frilay esay to raed, whree as lnog as the rhgit ltetres wree three, and the fsrit and lsat lttrees of the wrdos wree croccet, it mdae snsee.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:32:59 »
Am I the only one who think that German is a really cool and nice sounding language?  You know, when it's not just a bunch of people yelling like in the war movies.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:04:48 »
Am I the only one who think that German is a really cool and nice sounding language?  You know, when it's not just a bunch of people yelling like in the war movies.

I'm sorry, what?

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline tbc

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:11:36 »

yes.  you are the only one.

german is the most unpleasant language possible.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 22:41:18 »
What teenagers don't seem to understand is that what they deem to be cool is generally not considered cool at all by the rest of the people in the world who are actually cool. By keeping their coolness dedicated to other teenagers they are actually perpetuating a bubble of dorkyness that acts like a two-way mirror, but on one side everyone looks cool and to everyone else they look like tards. It's always funny to see the look of realization dawn on Freshman faces their first day of classes that by not dressing and speaking like an adult, no one takes them seriously.

Offline poog

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 23:15:03 »
does it bother you when you hear dialects or creole languages?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 23:21:29 »

Not true...

German sounds fine as long as the speaker is a beautiful female...   Everything sounds good from beautiful females..

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 23:32:09 »

Not true...

German sounds fine as long as the speaker is a beautiful female...   Everything sounds good from beautiful females..

Show Image

So you're saying that a woman threatening to remove your manhood using a pair of rusty tongs that have been sitting in a bucket of human waste taken from an all you can eat chili festival would be perfectly okay with you so long as she was beautiful?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 23:47:26 »

Not true...

Show Image

So you're saying that a woman threatening to remove your manhood using a pair of rusty tongs that have been sitting in a bucket of human waste taken from an all you can eat chili festival would be perfectly okay with you so long as she was beautiful?

Isn't that what Every beautiful woman does to Every man, AKA marriage ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 23:49:12 »

Not true...

Show Image

Isn't that what Every beautiful woman does to Every man, AKA marriage ?

Show Image

Offline Belfong

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 23:56:15 »
English is probably my 3rd language and I think I speak quite well regardless but I struggle with words that are commonly used in household or when you are growing up - words that books or movies or schools don't teach you.

For instance, I just learned that those little things served along with food is called condiments. And that those M&M or Choc chips that you put on top of a ice cream cones are called sprinkles. Or that when my daughter fell and had a cut, it's not just 'I had a cut' or 'I fell' but 'I skinned my knees'! I think I will have a hard time having normal, non business conversations!!!

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 00:00:22 »
English is probably my 3rd language and I think I speak quite well regardless but I struggle with words that are commonly used in household or when you are growing up - words that books or movies or schools don't teach you.

For instance, I just learned that those little things served along with food is called condiments. And that those M&M or Choc chips that you put on top of a ice cream cones are called sprinkles. Or that when my daughter fell and had a cut, it's not just 'I had a cut' or 'I fell' but 'I skinned my knees'! I think I will have a hard time having normal, non business conversations!!!

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Welcome to Thunderdome, *****.  ;D

Offline Belfong

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 00:02:46 »
What?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 00:02:56 »

Arguments about the ACCEPTED definition and Grammer is almost always fruitless, because language evolve with Necessity.

The most compelling reason TODAY for language to contract is due to the fast lives we've all adopted..

The faster less time consuming it is to say something, the better.. 

Form must give way to Function...  I don't care how many gold leaves are gilt onto that horse drawn carriage...  I would rather use a rusty car, ANY DAY...

Before you guys play the Hipster card, with the glass tubes and old engines,    those are luxury niche...

as in , you've had the luxury of wasting your time...   Solid state and Electric are the future.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 00:27:15 »

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Welcome to Thunderdome, *****.  ;D

Two men enter, one man leaves.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 01:07:13 »
Don't worry, your American (I'm assuming) and so don't speak English anyway.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 01:19:55 »
Don't worry, you're American (I'm assuming) and so don't speak English anyway.

FTFY :p

Oh, the irony :))

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 01:26:16 »
zip it the dang up, nerds, before i shove you in a locker
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 01:26:33 »

That's not irony..

Americans speaks  'Murica... 

That's way better ++ than English.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 01:55:51 »

That's not irony..

Americans speaks  'Murica... 

That's way better ++ than English.

baldgye: Location: UK

Offline iri

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 02:48:21 »
baldgye claims to be dyslexic though.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 04:00:33 »
english is one of the most ****ed up languages in the world.

A few 'institutional' nouns take no definite article when a certain role is implied: for example, at sea (as a sailor), in prison (as a convict), and at/in college (for students). Among this group, BrE has in hospital (as a patient) and at university (as a student), where AmE requires in the hospital and at the university (though AmE does allow in college and in school). When the implied roles of patient or student do not apply, the definite article is used in both dialects. However, both variations drop the definite article with rush hour: at rush hour (BrE)/in rush hour (AmE).
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 04:29:33 »
baldgye claims to be dyslexic though.

It's ok, let him have his sick burn.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 04:48:42 »

Sometimes I wonder if English is actually your first language though.
I strongly suspect it isn't.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:00:52 »

5/10

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:06:56 »

5/10
is that how many english you baldguyeye
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:11:50 »

5/10

Unsure, so yes I havt no understanding

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:33:59 »

5/10

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62394.msg1461799#msg1461799
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:42:09 »
I know in slightly lower mid tier universites that have standardized english placement tests many American born students fail and are placed in remedial English. In higher tier universities you don't have that issue as much (with American born studentd being placed in the lowest english class) and half your professors have terrible English anyways.

Aside from some new english speakers, I usually notice improper spoken English, lack of complete sentences and butchering of grammer you've described usually with rural folks and poor members of urban communities. We also have valley girls here too :/

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:44:34 »

5/10

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62394.msg1461799#msg1461799

Haha yeah, I'm the dense one...

Offline iri

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:50:03 »
in all seriousness, one of forms of "no" in russian sounds literally like "yes no maybe".

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:52:25 »
in all seriousness, one of forms of "no" in russian sounds literally like "yes no maybe".

Oh don't worry about being serious. This is no place for opinions or serious posts, just mindless trolling.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:54:30 »

Oh don't worry about being serious. This is no place for opinions or serious posts, just mindless trolling.
i can hear the butthurt all the way over here
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:58:24 »

Sure, why not... But why would I be butthurt again? You didn't read or didn't understand a post I made in another topic and replied with rude image memes...

To be honest, having you go ape**** over that thread was of great benefit to me. Now you don't spam me over steam pm's lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 06:01:20 by baldgye »

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 05:59:59 »

Sure, why not... But why would I be butthurt again? You didn't read or didn't understand a post I made in another topic and replied with rude image memes...
... see this is why i posted that image
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 06:03:31 »
Ah ok, so you posted that image because you couldn't think of a smart retort or counter my argument/stance like the other people in that thread managed? Got it.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 06:06:14 »
nice try
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline mreverything

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 07:17:06 »
This book is relevant, and good:

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/39269658

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:35:28 »
So who among GHers speaks the best 'Murica..

That is the most important question..

Offline chrisq

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:36:33 »

Actually, yelling in war movies is the only place i think german is appropriate.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:44:04 »

Actually, yelling in war movies is the only place i think german is appropriate.

It only sounds gritty and abrasive because you don't know what they're saying..

If you had say an Eskimo listen to war-yelling in English... that'd sound just as gritty..

Offline chrisq

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:49:19 »

It only sounds gritty and abrasive because you don't know what they're saying..

If you had say an Eskimo listen to war-yelling in English... that'd sound just as gritty..

Oh I understand it quite well. German is just the natural war language here in europe after their exploits in the last 100 years.

It might change to russian if Putler keeps it up though.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:52:13 »
TL;DR this thread... but my opinion on this:

I blame the complete lack of Darwinism in humanity, and particularly in America.

Idiots breeding with other idiots that, in any other species, would have died for their stupidity.

Not to mention that the average American isn't intelligent enough to embrace their own beliefs, so they conform to everyone else's. And these days, since a majority of people lack decent language skills, it's become a part of the culture.

This is the danger of conformity...

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:56:32 »
TL;DR this thread... but my opinion on this:

I blame the complete lack of Darwinism in humanity, and particularly in America.

Idiots breeding with other idiots that, in any other species, would have died for their stupidity.

Not to mention that the average American isn't intelligent enough to embrace their own beliefs, so they conform to everyone else's. And these days, since a majority of people lack decent language skills, it's become a part of the culture.

This is the danger of conformity...

I think your perspective is the same as Every Older person looking at Younger People..

If you look across your age group.. probably most people measure up closely..

But if you look at young people 10yrs your junior, , they're going to lack the life experience and the Few extra text-books you've read..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:08:35 »

I think your perspective is the same as Every Older person looking at Younger People..

But if you look at young people 10yrs your junior, , they're going to lack the life experience and the Few extra text-books you've read..

Here's the thing: 10 years my junior is looking at 10 year olds...

I was referring to people in my own generation when I said "the average American isn't intelligent enough to embrace their own beliefs".

tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mreverything

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:37:24 »

Computer-Lab's an old soul.

Offline goflo

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:54:05 »

Oh I understand it quite well. German is just the natural war language here in europe after their exploits in the last 100 years.

It might change to russian if Putler keeps it up though.

I don´t quite understand why everyone says that the german language sounds like "war language".
I think most of them only know the "well known movies/tv parts" of 70 years ago.

But the OPs mentioned problem isn´t an english/american problem only ;)
It happens here in germany in quite the same way.

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:55:50 by goflo »
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:27:08 »

I was referring to people in my own generation when I said "the average American isn't intelligent enough to embrace their own beliefs".

I don't want to get into a semantics argument..

But that makes no sense...  You can only believe, What you believe... the only belief you can embrace is your own belief..

Now,  if you're specifying the ORIGIN of any such belief..  that's somewhat frivolous as well, because there is no such thing as Original Belief..

Every construct is unique given complete description.. if all is original, then nothing is original.

Everything you could possibly believe is then a derivative of something that came before.

So...  it's not possible to draw a line somewhere, and say this is to be embraced, this is yours, this is original...   doing so would be equally arbitrary to directly choosing the "alleged" group think.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:36:30 »
I used the term "beliefs" a bit too broadly it seems...

I was referring more to free thinking. The ability to take in outside information, process it, and make your own opinion based on it. Something many Americans lack. They believe what their told rather than coming up with their own conclusions.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:39:02 »
I still feel the worst butchering of engrish is when someone wants to "axe you a quesin".  No you can't "axe" me anything.

And that's what grinds my gears.

I know I don't have the best English grammar or spelling skills (thank god for spell check), but I don't try and perpetuate it.  I don't even use "text talk" when I text. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline chrisq

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:47:06 »

I was referring more to free thinking. The ability to take in outside information, process it, and make your own opinion based on it. Something many Americans lack. They believe what their told rather than coming up with their own conclusions.

I would say that the americans are better than average when it comes to this, it's a part of their culture.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:51:59 »

Free thinking...

hmm.....  I believe -Free Thinking- to be an extreme luxury because it is something that requires a very relaxed lifestyle with enormous amounts of free time.

If we look at the hierarchy of needs..  things on the bottom rung typically -needs- to be filled before a person "freely" pursues mental, intellectual fulfillment and self awareness..

So.. let's look at the typical age 20..  in the average family, this person would probably have to work a bit to buy the things he wants...  if he's not very good looking, he needs to work even more to buy gifts or similarly use time to acquire conversational charm to sex-up-the-females.

How much TIME does the average ^^^^ this person have  for   "free thinking"...

10 years later, he's got a job, he's sexed up all the females,  Now he's on the Job trying to get more money, to pay for the children all the sexing produced...   

How much time does ^^^^ this Guy have for "Free Thinking"..

Now.. lets look at some kid, parents household income 400,000...  Never has to work.. only child..  IMMENSE free time to do whatever..    assuming this kid also has some luck with the females, (time saving luck),   

^^^  What percentage of America fits this profile..   to produce 20 year olds that seeks intellectual fulfillment..

So.. to consolidate,  it is not that the average American is stupid or mindless,  it comes down to where any such American falls on Income distribution..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:58:40 »

I would say that the americans are better than average when it comes to this, it's a part of their culture.
I might be SLIGHTLY exaggerating in my portrayal of the "average" American.

Maybe I'm biased due to the fact that I'm only a few years out of high school and my class was, and I quote, "the worst class to go through this school in 50 years".

It also doesn't help that I live in a fairly remote part of my state, where there seems to be an abundance of idiot rednecks.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:00:18 »

Isn't Anerican culture set up to be the exact opposite of that?

With a horribly unfair two party system America uses, and the fact that there is unlimited spending allowed for parties means only the richest may apply and get anywhere really... Yet everywhere the chimes of 'worlds greatest democracy' is chanted out which all the other brainwashed patriotism...

Though I think it's unfair to be so harsh on Americans in this regard as I'm pretty certain that it applies to all humans, regardless of nationality, race or age.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:12:51 by baldgye »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:00:25 »

I might be SLIGHTLY exaggerating in my portrayal of the "average" American.

Maybe I'm biased due to the fact that I'm only a few years out of high school and my class was, and I quote, "the worst class to go through this school in 50 years".

It also doesn't help that I live in a fairly remote part of my state, where there seems to be an abundance of idiot rednecks.

don't know if you got through my previous post yet,  but your experience would fit quite well,  how rich are those average rednecks in a remote end of the state.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:05:52 »

Isn't Anerican culture set up to be the exact opposite of that?

With a horribly unfair two party system America uses, and the fact that there is unlimited spending allowed for parties means only the richest may apply and get anywhere really... Yet everywhere the chimes of 'worlds greatest democracy' is chanted out which all the other brainwashed patriotism...

American Culture   as is ...   is designed to keep the average educational level LOW.. to produce   SOLDIERs...

Without soldiers,  America, even with advance weapons technology will not be able to fight China..   Because while Battles can be Won with Missiles,  WARS are won with occupational forces..

Books are Cheap..  Teachers are Cheap..  why does America have such poor education... it doesn't add up...

This is a bit conspiracy-ish  I agree,   but there are great many historical analysts in the system these days,   and I think they're doing a great job..

For example...  the fall of British power was directly due to the collapse of their birthrate when their standards of living and educational average continued to grow..

Educated people have less children...   until the country no longer produces enough soldiers to fight a war..

at that point, they rely on sale of technology and financial services..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:18:27 »

don't know if you got through my previous post yet,  but your experience would fit quite well,  how rich are those average rednecks in a remote end of the state.

I can see that yes, in certain situations, your scenario fits quite well with the types of folk I grew up around. There was about equal parts pretentious *******s who had everything handed to them and well-rounded individuals who had to work for what they had and had better character for it.

What I don't quite understand is your perception of time as it pertains to the ability of a free thinker.

You're implying that someone brought up in a wealthy family environment who had everything handed to them is a person who is more likely to be a free thinker simply because they have more free time?

To be perfectly honest, I think the fact that your basing someones intelligence or their ability to think freely on their socio-economic status is blatantly wrong.

It all boils down to who you are as a person, and that boils down to three basic categories:

- parenting (how you were raised)
    - social pressures (being pressured to conform)
    - genetics (science)
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:26:21 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:25:03 »

I can see that yes, in certain situations, your scenario fits quite well with the types of folk I grew up around. There was about equal parts pretentious *******s who had everything handed to them and well-rounded individuals who had to work for what they had and had better character for it.

What I don't quite understand is your perception of time as it pertains to the ability of a free thinker.

You're implying that someone brought up in a wealthy family environment who had everything handed to them is a person who is more likely to be a free thinker simply because they have more free time?

To be perfectly honest, I think the fact that your basing someones intelligence or their ability to think freely on their socio-economic status is blatantly wrong.

Socio Economic status does not GIVE them the ability to free think..

But it can be a predictor of how LIKELY  that person is to Become ONE..

Because my premise is that  MONEY = Leisure Time..   

and Leisure Time, whether it is used to think or not,   IF IN ABundance will more likely  produce your-free-thinkers.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:27:12 »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:29:17 »

- genetics (science)

Genetics helps make you more or less open minded? links??

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:31:05 »

-snip-

Read my above edit.

It all boils down to who you are as a person, and that boils down to three basic categories:

- parenting (how you were raised)
    - social pressures (being pressured to conform)
    - genetics (science)

Parenting..   

rich vs poor parents..

Why is one parent rich..   (his parents were likely rich, and on and on)  (this is likelihood not absolute)

Why is one parent poor.. (his parents were poor)

Social pressure..

Rich parents,  You have all the same gear the cool kids have, (what social pressure)

Poor parents, You stand out, because your parents couldn't afford pokemon cards..

Genetics..  given how wildly humans breed with one another, it's unlikely that genetics have as much to do with Free thinking as does socio-economics.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:33:32 »

- genetics (science)

I believe I stated that " who you are as a person" boils down to those three things. Did not mean to imply that genetics affects
your ability to be open-minded (which is obviously based on the first two).

tp thread is tp thread

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:36:31 »

- genetics (science)

I believe I stated that " who you are as a person" boils down to those three things. Did not mean to imply that genetics affects

ahh ok fair enough... I thought I had just missed out on something lol

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:45:03 »

- genetics (science)

Nope, I probably could have better worded that post... oh well.

I'm tired of arguing with tp, I'm going back to work now...

(I rather enjoyed that debate though).
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:47:07 »

- genetics (science)

Nope, I probably could have better worded that post... oh well.

I'm tired of arguing with tp, I'm going back to work now...

(I rather enjoyed that debate though).

/Tp4  Claims VICTORY..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:52:36 »

/Tp4  Claims VICTORY..
Show Image

aaand THAT speaks to your character more than the entire debate did...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 12:58:43 »

/Tp4  Claims VICTORY..
Show Image

Does it ?   or did you fundamentally misunderstand my sarcasm because you were agitated by the fact that someone else has a different opinion.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:03:17 »

/Tp4  Claims VICTORY..
Show Image

Does it ?   or did you fundamentally misunderstand my sarcasm because you were agitated by the fact that someone else has a different opinion.

Show Image

Oh I more than understood your sarcasm. Which was precisely my point...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:06:30 »

/Tp4  Claims VICTORY..
Show Image

Show Image

So you're claiming,, I misunderstood YOUR sarcasm, when you sarcastically misunderstood MY sarcasm

?

***** bring it !! 

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:42:13 »

/Tp4  Claims VICTORY..
Show Image

Show Image

So you're claiming,, I misunderstood YOUR sarcasm, when you sarcastically misunderstood MY sarcasm

?

***** bring it !! 
Show Image

Actually, I lied about understanding your sarcasm. My intention was to make you THINK I understood it, so you would begin over-analyzing how my understanding of your sarcasm means you misunderstood MY sarcasm, proving that you have a tendency to over-analyze the most trivial things.

I rest my case.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:49:10 »

/Tp4  Claims VICTORY..
Show Image

Show Image

?

***** bring it !! 
Show Image

Actually, I lied about understanding your sarcasm. My intention was to make you THINK I understood it, so you would begin over-analyzing how my understanding of your sarcasm means you misunderstood MY sarcasm, proving that you have a tendency to over-analyze the most trivial things.

I rest my case.

Nothing is trivial..

and I don't know why you're so proud of merely having 'Lied"   

That is not wit..

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 14:05:42 »

Nothing is trivial..

and I don't know why you're so proud of merely having 'Lied"   
Show Image

That is not wit..

You've obviously never seen House, M.D.

And EVERYTHING is trivial when you consider the vastness of our known universe, and when you consider how insignificant we all are in relation to it.

To put it into a different context, as quoted by the late Robin Williams, "We are food for worms, lads." (Dead Poets Society, 1989)
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 September 2014, 14:07:30 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline mreverything

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 14:28:18 »
I still feel the worst butchering of engrish is when someone wants to "axe you a quesin".  No you can't "axe" me anything.

And that's what grinds my gears.

I know I don't have the best English grammar or spelling skills (thank god for spell check), but I don't try and perpetuate it.  I don't even use "text talk" when I text.

I understand the grindiness of your gears, though this is a rather common misconception. Ax is a correct pronunciation, descriptively and historically. From the Oxford English Dictionary:

"Acsian, axian [Old English forms], survived in ax, down to nearly 1600 the regular literary form, and still used everywhere in midl. and southern dialects, though supplanted in standard English by ask, originally the northern form."

Of course, in the above quote, "standard" English is not necessarily "correct" English. Standard English is just the dialect which, because of historical accident, has had the greatest political and economic influence.

Offline iri

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 14:55:05 »

i hope you are sarcastic.

-Ray Bradbury

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 14:56:44 »

I didn't even question this, I just assumed it was a joke...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tbc

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 22:34:33 »

I didn't even question this, I just assumed it was a joke...

i thought he was sayung that americans are better than average at being stupid lll.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 16:55:27 »
This thread is not so active I know... But this one really brothers me...
"Yeee I seen that movie"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 17:07:44 »
This thread is not so active I know... But this one really brothers me...
"Yeee I seen that movie"

The movie about a chinese guy whose name was "yeee", yes with 3 e-s,

and You've seen this movie.