Author Topic: PSA: Remember to wear your bicycle helmet  (Read 10668 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
PSA: Remember to wear your bicycle helmet
« on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:01:34 »
I wrecked on my bicycle today and my helmet saved me from a potentially serious head injury (the right side of my body, not so much).  I implore you to wear your helmet, you never know when you might crash and slam your noggin onto the pavement.  It doesn't look cool or feel comfortable, but it will save you from a serious head injury.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:05:59 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: PSA: Remember to wear your helmet when you ride your bicycle
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:08:01 »
Serious question...outside of racing or off road riding, why would your head ever come in contact with the ground? If my body ever approached the ground, I think my neck would keep my head from slamming into the ground. I'm not a rider of bikes since I was young, but I never wore a helmet.

FYI, I don't wear a seatbelt in the car, either.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: PSA: Remember to wear your bicycle helmet
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:10:52 »
When I was younger I was riding my bike and the front tire hit a hole in the pavement. I went flying over the front of the bike and broke my jaw. It was ****ing terrible. My jaw still cracks funny to this day.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:12:44 »
Seriously.  I had a helmet save me from ****ing my head up once as well.  I had a tire blow out while coming down a hill, causing me to slam into the ground.  My helmet was indented a good inch at the point of impact and it broke the helmet almost in half. 

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:14:08 »
Serious question...outside of racing or off road riding, why would your head ever come in contact with the ground? If my body ever approached the ground, I think my neck would keep my head from slamming into the ground. I'm not a rider of bikes since I was young, but I never wore a helmet.

If someone hits with their car whist you are riding your bike, the possibilities and positions are endless.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:15:50 »

When I was a kid I was approaching my friend's house on my bike. Little me thought I could stop right on a dime in front of his brick house, but I slipped on the brake and my bike hit the wall. I slipped forward, landed on my crotch on the bar and my head hit the wall. I had a helmet, but my groin area wasn't feeling too pretty.
Thankfully no one saw. Or at least I hope so.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:16:29 »
Had a motorcycle accident about 10 years ago.  Not sure if the helmet saved my life, but it sure as hell saved my face.  You will never forget what pavement speeding past your face at ~40mph looks like.

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:22:28 »
Had a motorcycle accident about 10 years ago.  Not sure if the helmet saved my life, but it sure as hell saved my face.  You will never forget what pavement speeding past your face at ~40mph looks like.

Definitely always wear a helmet and actual motorcycle gear while riding. I crashed going around a curve at around ~50mph and was only barely scratched because of the full leathers I was wearing. Scary, but I wasn't inured for life.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:29:14 »

How is your neck supposed to stop you head from slamming into the ground? If your head is flying straight into the ground, there's only so much twisting you neck can do to pull it away (at least that's what I guess you're getting at?).

Why wouldn't you just wear a helmet or a seatbelt anyway? Just seems like a stubborn thing and both things take seconds to put on.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 20:34:53 »

There are a variety of scenarios that can lead you to slam your head on the pavement and overcome the strength of your neck from preventing your head from hitting the ground.

In this case, I hit the ground with such force and lack of control that I could not stop my head from hitting the ground.  Luckily, my helmet took the impact.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 21:14:35 »

Ever see bmx/MTB street riding (or bike messengers)? Easily just as dangerous as off-road, and in many cases, more. Even when not doing anything crazy, just hitting a slippery patch or some gravel/sand/oil can send you down before you even know what happened. Your neck is meant to keep your head up vertically, not taking a side load of 10g's or more (which is easily exceeded).

According to at least one study I saw, bicycles are the second most common sports injuries sending people to emergency rooms, this is why many city skateparks ban bikes. Basketball was #1 due to knee injuries.

As for the seatbelt, sorry, but that's just ignorant, the days of being "thrown clear" ended in the 30's. Cars today are safety cages designed to keep you in and everything else out. Unless you drive a Model T, wear a damn seatbelt.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 21:15:42 »
All of this can be avoided, by staying in-doors and using.. The INTERNET.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 21:17:32 »
Show Image

LOL

..yea, kids like wtf?...stop going outside please..this is what happens!

I almost thought you were serious for a sec, good one! :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2016, 21:24:01 by digi »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 06:33:35 »

JD pls

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 07:33:41 »
When I was 14, two school teachers of mine urged me to race them down an incline. I lost control of the bike at high speed and fell sideways. The helmet broke in the impact. I lost sensation in the left side of my body for a few minutes.
If I had not been level-headed enough to take a detour to my home and fetch my helmet I wouldn't be posting today.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 07:36:44 »
A seatbelt saved my life during a car accident.
My dad lost one day worth of memory after falling on the head in snowboard. He changed his mind about wearing it ever since.

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 07:37:28 »

One of the things that has always irritated me about watching Star Trek on TV is that there aren't any seat belts on the bridge.

And especially on the Next Generation, where they just lounge around on soft easy chairs.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 12:26:31 »
The root cause of all motorcycle accidental deaths, is riding a motorcycle..

The helmet is really an after thought..

You're jumping in the volcano, and you're thinking, yea, I should probably wear slippers, don't wanna burn my feet..

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 12:28:28 »
Show Image

this and avoid bikes.. I know too many people who have gotten hurt on bikes.

Offline DvorakDachshund

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 13:42:47 »

One of the things that has always irritated me about watching Star Trek on TV is that there aren't any seat belts on the bridge.

And especially on the Next Generation, where they just lounge around on soft easy chairs.

Well, given that they're always getting shot at, I agree they need seatbelts. But I think a spacecraft generally wouldn't need them as the chance of colliding with something in space is near zero, yes? And if you did collide with something at warp speed, a seatbelt wouldn't keep you from being atomized by the crash.

I see it akin to wearing a seatbelt in a hot air balloon.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:29:55 »
Show Image

But it's fun, I'm getting exercise, and I'm reducing air pollution.  I'm wouldn't have any self-caused bike injuries if I followed all necessary safety precautions.  Now the drivers, I can't do anything about them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:33:07 »

Well, given that they're always getting shot at, I agree they need seatbelts. But I think a spacecraft generally wouldn't need them as the chance of colliding with something in space is near zero, yes? And if you did collide with something at warp speed, a seatbelt wouldn't keep you from being atomized by the crash.

The ship also has automagic gravity compensators..  So, they don't need seatbelts, because they can just alter the gravity

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:34:38 »

How is your neck supposed to stop you head from slamming into the ground? If your head is flying straight into the ground, there's only so much twisting you neck can do to pull it away (at least that's what I guess you're getting at?).

Why wouldn't you just wear a helmet or a seatbelt anyway? Just seems like a stubborn thing and both things take seconds to put on.
Hwood putting some actual good answers out, I do hope JD is trolling by asking these.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:43:28 »
The one and only time that I didn't wear a bicycle helmet (because none of my friends were and I didn't want to look like a dork compared to them), I crashed going about 30MPH, did a full front flip over a tall tree stump, and knocked myself out. I was miraculously unhurt apart from a splitting headache which lasted several days, but the whole event could have gone a lot worse. 

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 14:54:58 »
Show Image

But it's fun, I'm getting exercise, and I'm reducing air pollution.  I'm wouldn't have any self-caused bike injuries if I followed all necessary safety precautions.  Now the drivers, I can't do anything about them.
The people I know who are getting hurt isn't their fault, its usually due to negligence of others. You absolutely cannot trust anyone on the road its too dangerous especially with over half the people texting and driving nowadays. also dont give me that air pollution arguement  :blank:

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 15:21:22 »
For those of you that ride.

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline DvorakDachshund

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 15:23:55 »

The ship also has automagic gravity compensators..  So, they don't need seatbelts, because they can just alter the gravity

If so, they don't work very well :D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 15:25:35 »

Road bikes and pot holes don't mix well  :'(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 21:32:18 »
Yeah, helmets are crucial. Back when I used to ride my TTR125 more often I cased it on to pavement going about 45 (doing something stupid) and hit the ground hard enough to bust the mouth guard on my helmet + bruise my face.

Edit: Also bent the entire frame and even after straightening it's still off by a few degrees from front to back
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 21:36:18 »
A helmet saved my life too!

I was horse riding and my horse tripped and rolled over me. Her hoof struck my helmet and knocked me unconscious. I woke up and had a prefect horse hoof hole through my helmet. Would have been my head though! As a side note, my horse was still standing there over me like "WTF!? WAKE UP!!!!" when I came to. haha.

But yea. WEAR A HELMET FOLKS! Even though they look lame. :p
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 21:50:14 »

I was horse riding and my horse tripped and rolled over me. Her hoof struck my helmet and knocked me unconscious. I woke up and had a prefect horse hoof hole through my helmet. Would have been my head though! As a side note, my horse was still standing there over me like "WTF!? WAKE UP!!!!" when I came to. haha.

Holy crap!  :eek:  That's terrifying.

Also, how terrible is it that I read this in a super posh "Yes, I ride horses" voice?  :))  I know the proper context but I found it more amusing to read it this way instead.  :P

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 21:56:36 »
Hahahah, more like super country! I was always jealous of the poshy horse girls :p

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:04:49 »

Dude, for real, horses are nothing to **** with. My mom's had plenty of friends that have been seriously injured (one killed) riding horses. She even gave up all her riding when she had kids.

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:15:09 »

Dude, for real, horses are nothing to **** with. My mom's had plenty of friends that have been seriously injured (one killed) riding horses. She even gave up all her riding when she had kids.

yea, they are just so big that they can do some real damage as just an accident. Even horses that are super sweet and well behaved get spooked and ****. We had a friend about a month ago just fall off her horse and hit her head on a rock. Had to get the park rangers to come up on four wheelers and get her to the hospital. She was NOT wearing a helmet.

I've only ever been around 1 horse that was intentionally mean spirited though and it was absolutely terrifying.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:16:55 »

yea, they are just so big that they can do some real damage as just an accident. Even horses that are super sweet and well behaved get spooked and ****. We had a friend about a month ago just fall off her horse and hit her head on a rock. Had to get the park rangers to come up on four wheelers and get her to the hospital. She was NOT wearing a helmet.

I've only ever been around 1 horse that was intentionally mean spirited though and it was absolutely terrifying.

Honestly I grew up around horses and they were all nice as can be, but not exactly the smartest animal and one that can really **** you up.

I still always got scared as **** getting above a trot....
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:19:17 by hwood34 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:19:06 »
Hahahah, more like super country! I was always jealous of the poshy horse girls :p

Haha, I know.  :P  That made it an even more amusing image in my mind.  :))

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 22:25:47 »
Slide across 15 feet of pavement one. Had some pretty gnarly road rash on my arm. Would have had quite a bit on my face too if I werent wearing my helmet! :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 23:36:04 »

Honestly I grew up around horses and they were all nice as can be, but not exactly the smartest animal and one that can really **** you up.

I can do some country stuff like fishing or whatever but when it comes to horses I'm usually too afraid to pet them. Ride them? No way.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 23:37:41 »

I can do some country stuff like fishing or whatever but when it comes to horses I'm usually too afraid to pet them. Ride them? No way.

Yea, I don't know what it is about riding them :)). I can't imagine doing cross country and **** like my mom did.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 23:45:00 »

Yea, I don't know what it is about riding them :)). I can't imagine doing cross country and **** like my mom did.

haha, idk. I've often thought about why people (like my mom) are so into it. I think there is something cool/zen about being in nature on an animal and I do really enjoy it. But to be fair, my moms thing is training them to be sweet/like dogs so her horses are all pretty chill. That doesn't mean you wont fall off/get stepped on/get accidentally kicked though.  They are LARGE animals.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 23:49:29 »
i almost got hit with a ****ing audi because the chick was texting.

i had my helmet on.. but i threw my gatorade bottle at her OuO
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 07:35:49 »
When I did first aid training at my current job, there was a trainer from the St Johns ambulance there (civilian first aiders, sometimes they are used to support the ambulance services at peak times and whatever) and he said he never wears a seatbelt when he drives on the motorway.

He said some bull**** about "seeing what happens when you are left in your car after a high speed crash" and he would "rather die" than suffer life changing injuries.

It's ****ing stupid if you ask me.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:06:57 »
i almost got hit with a ****ing audi because the chick was texting.

i had my helmet on.. but i threw my gatorade bottle at her OuO

I would be spending a lot of money on water bottles if I did this.

Oddly enough, all my bicycle injuries over the years are self caused.  Never been hit by a car.  Yet.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:24:28 »

Holy crap!  :eek:  That's terrifying.

Also, how terrible is it that I read this in a super posh "Yes, I ride horses" voice?  :))  I know the proper context but I found it more amusing to read it this way instead.  :P

I will never understand the fascination of large animals, they smell so terribad...

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:25:19 »
If you have proper infrastructure chances of crashing are almost nonexistent.
I ride an upright city bike (Dutch bike) and the only times I fall down are in winter on black ice. But even then I have never hit the ground with my head.
Unless the foam in your helmet is compressed or wouldn't have made a difference.

That being said though,
Of you ride a road (racing) bike at speed or a mountain bike on twisty off-road paths the do wear a helmet please. Those are conditions where there is little you can do whenever you fall down.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:33:46 »

Your head is heavy and large, more likely to take an impact than your neck. As for the seatbelt you'll be fine as long as you don't crash or get crashed into, if you do though, use the neck to save the head.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:38:10 »
With multiple (7) concussions, I can attest to the fact that helmets are essential.  My life is much harder than before I suffered my 6th and 7th injuries two years ago.  Don't turn you brain into mush like mine, wear a helmet.

I should mention that I was wearing a helmet in all of mine and would likely not even be here if not for that.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:04:24 »
With multiple (7) concussions, I can attest to the fact that helmets are essential.  My life is much harder than before I suffered my 6th and 7th injuries two years ago.  Don't turn you brain into mush like mine, wear a helmet.

I should mention that I was wearing a helmet in all of mine and would likely not even be here if not for that.

what caused all these concussions ?

Offline iri

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:10:52 »

JD pls
HE. IS. NOT. SERIOUS.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury