Author Topic: How to wear headphones with glasses?  (Read 3208 times)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
How to wear headphones with glasses?
« on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 10:09:41 »
I'm really close to just getting some speakers because ever since I got these glasses wearing headphones is painful and annoying since they press the legs of the damn things straight into my temples. Only problem is that when at home I kinda need some audio privacy, and at my apartment I need to not annoy my roommate. Any ideas? Getting better headphones isn't off the table as these ones are already starting to get frayed (I have to tape the audio cable at a 90 degree angle just to get stereo).
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: How to wear headphones with glasses?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 10:19:17 »
Yeah seems like that's how it's gonna be but those things really irritate my ear canals when I wear them too long :(
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 11:13:31 »
I'd go to a physical store and try some models out before buying. That's the only way to find if anything is comfortable, really.
(... and you don't have to buy the headphones from the store if they are cheaper from an on-line store ...)

Earbuds can also be hit-or-miss in the comfort department.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 13:10:40 »
To stick with what you have there are two options - bend the headband to reduce clamping pressure or make spacers that clip over the glasses arm to spread the pressure out over a larger area.

If you're in the market for new headphones there are models with low clamping pressure and thick pads, my old Denons would be suitable so the new ones are probably worth a try if they fit your budget.

(... and you don't have to buy the headphones from the store if they are cheaper from an on-line store ...)
If everyone does this all the stores will close and it wont be an option next time...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 December 2022, 23:53:39 »
On-the-ear cups aren't a problem since they're not touching the arms but over-the-ear would be annoying after a time.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 December 2022, 02:07:10 »
Get new glasses. This used to happen with my previous pair, got new ones, problem 100% solved.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 December 2022, 20:06:15 »
To stick with what you have there are two options - bend the headband to reduce clamping pressure or make spacers that clip over the glasses arm to spread the pressure out over a larger area.

If you're in the market for new headphones there are models with low clamping pressure and thick pads, my old Denons would be suitable so the new ones are probably worth a try if they fit your budget.

If everyone does this all the stores will close and it wont be an option next time...

I've been looking to replace these but even this isn't really enough to force me to replace them, and I don't have anywhere near the cash to get something of their quality (I pinched these from my dad a year ago) Probably going to bend them just because I can't really break them any more than I already have but they're pretty damn resiliant. Will keep you posted.
On-the-ear cups aren't a problem since they're not touching the arms but over-the-ear would be annoying after a time.

Yeah I got over ear ones, they're the perfect length to start messing with the legs if I move them too much (They've popped them off my face once or twice)
Get new glasses. This used to happen with my previous pair, got new ones, problem 100% solved.

This is my first ever pair of glasses, but to be real it'd probably be cheaper to replace the headphones :P

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 December 2022, 20:07:33 »
I'd go to a physical store and try some models out before buying. That's the only way to find if anything is comfortable, really.

Earbuds can also be hit-or-miss in the comfort department.
Nearest store is a best buy, lest I want to make a pilgrimage to Cambridge and the holy land of Micro Center. I do have to go into Boston to have Pylon fix my Boston tho so....

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 December 2022, 21:02:02 »
Update: Like playing guitar and designing gun stocks, the age old tradition of "Just bend it" has rung true.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 December 2022, 23:45:45 »
try smaller overear headphones that clamps more towards the front of your ears and below the glasses.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 December 2022, 00:43:18 »
Have you tried cutting your ears with hedge clippers?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 December 2022, 02:28:51 »
earbuds.

Show Image

This is the answer. :D
I use my IEMs when at the PC because glasses...

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 December 2022, 10:57:35 »
It is probably a mixture of getting used to the glasses and finding the right headphones. I wear Sony MDR-7506 headphones and they feel pretty good. Usually after about 3 hours my ears start getting sore.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 04:20:17 »
Contact lenses?

But yeah, I would try different headphones. My Sony MDR are very comfortable to wear for like 4 hours.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 07:08:33 »
I've been wearing glasses all my life, now edging closer to 60 y.o., and this has never been an issue with me. Yes, with cans that have high clamping force, and harder earpads, they can get irritating. One that I recall giving me some issue was the Fostex T50RP, it was quite new and the earpads were thinner, allowing the front of driver enclosure to press against the ears.

I decided that a change of earpads was in order, and it so happened that I'd sold off my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, and had a spare pair of Mrspeakers Alpha Pads which I'd also gotten. I replaced the stock pads on the T50RP with the Alpha Pads (big soft, Lambskin pads) and the pressure on my ears with the T50RP was mitigated by a fair bit. I now have no problem wearing it for two hours or more.

Another benefit of a change of earpads is a change of sound signature, the T50RP was initially not a pair of can that I'd consider keeping (I had gotten it as my first foray into Planar Magnetic) but upon the change of earpads to the Alpha Pad, man, what a difference! Don't ask me what the difference was in terms of sound, it's been quite a few years since I'd done that, but I do recall the T50RP not sounding so harsh (prolly due to stoclk pads letting drivers press right against your ears). That's why I now have a preference for bigger and softer earpads (the Alpha Pad and Lawton Angle Pads are to die for!).

Edit - Found a pic of my T50RP with the Alpha Pads, note the size of the pads, though you can only have my word on how soft (and comfortable) they are.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2022, 07:12:06 by PadawanGeek »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 08:38:15 »
I've been wearing glasses all my life, now edging closer to 60 y.o., and this has never been an issue with me. Yes, with cans that have high clamping force, and harder earpads, they can get irritating. One that I recall giving me some issue was the Fostex T50RP, it was quite new and the earpads were thinner, allowing the front of driver enclosure to press against the ears.

I decided that a change of earpads was in order, and it so happened that I'd sold off my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, and had a spare pair of Mrspeakers Alpha Pads which I'd also gotten. I replaced the stock pads on the T50RP with the Alpha Pads (big soft, Lambskin pads) and the pressure on my ears with the T50RP was mitigated by a fair bit. I now have no problem wearing it for two hours or more.

Another benefit of a change of earpads is a change of sound signature, the T50RP was initially not a pair of can that I'd consider keeping (I had gotten it as my first foray into Planar Magnetic) but upon the change of earpads to the Alpha Pad, man, what a difference! Don't ask me what the difference was in terms of sound, it's been quite a few years since I'd done that, but I do recall the T50RP not sounding so harsh (prolly due to stoclk pads letting drivers press right against your ears). That's why I now have a preference for bigger and softer earpads (the Alpha Pad and Lawton Angle Pads are to die for!).

Edit - Found a pic of my T50RP with the Alpha Pads, note the size of the pads, though you can only have my word on how soft (and comfortable) they are.
Show Image

Holy!!!
OK.. we gotta see those on your head now :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 11:59:19 »

Show Image

Holy!!!

What I have pictured in my head

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 16:10:27 »
Holy!!!
Actually, that's the back of the can, it does taper off a little to the front, but still nice, thick and soft....it doesn't really press my temples and temple tips of my glasses against my temples.

@Darthbagginsm - That's  :):))