Author Topic: Ergodox Keyboard Kit  (Read 106271 times)

Offline sordna

Re: Ergodox Keyboard Kit
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:12:51 »
All I'm saying is that ALL relevant files should be put together, in a format that companies/machine shops can use, and in an easily accessible place for future purposes. I'm not sure where the PCB drawing/spec is for instance, it's probably buried in the threads.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:13:29 »
I thought that was the point of the ergodox.org website, but it seems whoever has the keys to that isn't updating it.  They haven't even posted up the MD buy.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline regack

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:15:59 »
I thought that was the point of the ergodox.org website, but it seems whoever has the keys to that isn't updating it.  They haven't even posted up the MD buy.

I'm pretty sure it belogs to Dox.

Offline Dreyer

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 19:08:57 »
Well, I just bought one. Hope that it passes trough the customs officers without attracting much attention.

Must decide a switch now. I must have change my mind like 3 times in the last hour.

Offline bisl

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:36:02 »
You know what they say; once you go red, you never go...back.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:46:26 »
Well, I just bought one. Hope that it passes trough the customs officers without attracting much attention.

Same here. But I guess with my luck of purchasing keyboards from the USA, I will have to pay customs.
My last purchase was a new Kinesis Advantage, send from a member from this board, which until today hasn't arrived (after more than 6 months). :(
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:47:21 »
Really?  Got rid of my reds fast as I could... just sayin :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:51:07 »
Really?  Got rid of my reds fast as I could... just sayin :)
same

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 01:10:26 »
I finally just got around to purchasing one.

I think I'll build up another one as just a LH for gaming/half keyboard use if someone wants to split a case or something.

Offline spm

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 02:27:55 »

Same here. But I guess with my luck of purchasing keyboards from the USA, I will have to pay customs.
My last purchase was a new Kinesis Advantage, send from a member from this board, which until today hasn't arrived (after more than 6 months). :(

You are scaring me. I'm counting about 30% more on customs and that I have to wait about month than they finally process this package but... 6 months, huh.

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 03:02:16 »

I think I'll build up another one as just a LH for gaming/half keyboard use if someone wants to split a case or something.
Count me in! So need to buy extra teensy and other parts?
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 05:16:06 »

nope its all in the kit

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 05:27:02 »

nope its all in the kit
But I thought dorkvader want to use as 1 hand only. Mean buy 1 complete kit. Split to 2 X 1 handed. I know the PCB are identical. But in order to split. I need 2 teensy, 2 mini USB plug, 2X MCP23018 I/O expander and etc right?

Offline regack

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 07:10:46 »

nope its all in the kit
But I thought dorkvader want to use as 1 hand only. Mean buy 1 complete kit. Split to 2 X 1 handed. I know the PCB are identical. But in order to split. I need 2 teensy, 2 mini USB plug, 2X MCP23018 I/O expander and etc right?

I don't believe the left and right hand side cases are the same, so using 1 case-pair split into two single-hand (standalone with teensy) keypads is probably not possible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 07:21:38 by regack »

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 07:20:38 »

You need double of everything on the right side, i.e. teensy and usb-connectors. So you don't need any expanders.

Offline sordna

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 21:54:42 »
148 units sold...
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 22:29:31 »
To clear things up: here was my idea:

0. Buy a complete ergoDOX and build and use it.
1. Buy an extra PCB and an extra case
2. Use one of the extra Teensys I have
3. Use the extra switches and diodes I have
4. Make a 1H version without port expander, connector, anything. I'd use it for gaming and as a half keyboard.
5. Sell the other case plates to a Gh'er who wanted to do the same.

Problems for this:
1. The two sides of the case do not appear to be identical. Someone would have to slightly mod theirs
2. it's only half a keyboard
3. parts must be sourced from somewhere.

So I'm not splitting half an ergoDOX kit, I'm considering adding an extra PCB to my kit to build up a 1h version. I might just forego the case completely, but then I'd have to get PCB mount switches somewhere.

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 22:34:58 »
To clear things up: here was my idea:

0. Buy a complete ergoDOX and build and use it.
1. Buy an extra PCB and an extra case
2. Use one of the extra Teensys I have
3. Use the extra switches and diodes I have
4. Make a 1H version without port expander, connector, anything. I'd use it for gaming and as a half keyboard.
5. Sell the other case plates to a Gh'er who wanted to do the same.

Problems for this:
1. The two sides of the case do not appear to be identical. Someone would have to slightly mod theirs
2. it's only half a keyboard
3. parts must be sourced from somewhere.

So I'm not splitting half an ergoDOX kit, I'm considering adding an extra PCB to my kit to build up a 1h version. I might just forego the case completely, but then I'd have to get PCB mount switches somewhere.

Ah.. now I am cleared.
Beside problem 1), How about the firmware side? Will it post any difficulties?
For Problem 3), maybe can ask Massdrop if they cansupplier the Teensys, diodes, capacitor, resistor, LED and etc. I will try to ask them when someone is online. (Prefer live chat with them than email)

Offline sordna

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:45:06 »
Teensy/diodes/leds/capacitors/resistors are easy to get, and cheap, you don't really need Massdrop for that, but I guess it makes it more convenient, if you are already ordering a keyboard from them. Regarding firmware, you would need to change some stuff (especially if you are building a left hand only keyboard) but it should be doable.

BTW, I see 150 sold !

Offline Cadrach

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 16:58:48 »
I just placed my order for one acrylic and one aluminum (office and home)!

This will be my first soldering project and I've been looking into the kinds of gear to acquire for it.  I'm not on a budget, and I like the idea of buying something high quality that will work well and will last for a long time, but at the same time I'm not going to be using an iron every evening or weekend.

The just-discontinued Hakko FX-888 has caught my eye.  Does that seem reasonable?  Would I want to buy a specific different kind of tip for this kind of work?

Are there opinions on kind/brand of solder to purchase?  Desoldering braid/wick?

I have a few simple Craftsman pliers and a wire cutter in my tool box, but if there are some magically delicious soldering-specific tools that I should know about, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 17:00:28 by Cadrach »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #220 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 17:52:30 »
Hey guys if you cant or dont want to assemble my assembly service is now up on Massdrop :D if you have any questions let me know.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #221 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:31:42 »
Hey guys if you cant or dont want to assemble my assembly service is now up on Massdrop :D if you have any questions let me know.

Very Cool Prof!

Hopefully word gets out to those who need assembly

Offline sordna

« Reply #222 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:35:09 »

I have a question, where did you find the metal base for lubing cherry switces? Oh, and what kind of lubes do you use for switches?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:42:39 »

I have a question, where did you find the metal base for lubing cherry switces? Oh, and what kind of lubes do you use for switches?
I got it from Sherry who got it from Korea and im using Krytox 205 for everything but clicky switches

Offline sordna

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:07:40 »
@TheProfosist

Good stuff!

@Cadrach

The Hakko you mentioned is a very good soldering station and you will be happy with it, get it if you plan to do more soldering, but if you are only doing 1 project, you could get away with a cheaper iron. I have a Weller WES-51 which I'm pretty happy with, they are comparable.
Wick, pump are needed to undo mistakes, however I don't have any recommendation on types and brands, maybe someone else does. I use 62/36/2 rosin core silver-bearing solder (the one I have lying around says RadioShack 64-013) but any rosin-flux 60/40 solder should do. Solder diameter should be around 0.8mm (0.03") for this project I would guess. If it's your first project, get a breadboard and some capacitors and practice :-)  For switches in particular make sure they are fully seated on the PCB when you solder them, you don't want any gap otherwise pressure during keyboard use may cause instability and could even damage traces on the PCB underside.
Earlier in this thread someone mentioned this good tutorial:

« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:12:43 by sordna »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #225 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:17:17 »
o just so you know the FX-888 is now discontinued and replaced by the FX-888D so if you  think youd prefer analogue buy one while their still available

for a hand solder sucker get a soldapult

I no longer recommend that silver bearing solder get Kester 44 63/37 0.020 mm (allspec) or WBT 4% silver solder 0.020 mm (parts express)

dont forget to pick up a semi decent flush cutter and small needle nose pliers both are very handy for this stuff.

Offline sordna

« Reply #226 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:25:26 »
I think 0.020 refers to inches, not mm. Yeah 0.020 is thin and good for surface mount soldering too, but for the ErgoDox which doesn't have SMD stuff, 0.031" is fine. Yeah, Radio Shack is not the best, I guess I'll take your advice and get this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJX6/
BTW, have you had any experience with lead free solder? I hear it's less hazardous to health but have never tried it... what's your advice?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #227 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:27:33 »
I think 0.020 refers to inches, not mm. Yeah 0.020 is thin and good for surface mount soldering too, but for the ErgoDox which doesn't have SMD stuff, 0.031" is fine.
BTW, have you had any experience with lead free solder? I hear it's less hazardous to health but have never tried it... what's your advice?
oops yep .5mm :D

its what I built my first phantom with and is a pain to work with compared to lead solder i would only use it if it was required

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:00:30 »
o just so you know the FX-888 is now discontinued and replaced by the FX-888D so if you  think youd prefer analogue buy one while their still available

I no longer recommend that silver bearing solder get Kester 44 63/37 0.020 mm (allspec) or WBT 4% silver solder 0.020 mm (parts express)

dont forget to pick up a semi decent flush cutter and small needle nose pliers both are very handy for this stuff.
Yes, I had to sharpen my flush cutter (that I got for free on the roadside) and until I did, it was very annoying to use. Every year I ask for a good soldering station, so eventually I will buy one. I do too much DIY to get by with my $9 radioshack iron.

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #229 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:17:37 »

Yes, I had to sharpen my flush cutter (that I got for free on the roadside) and until I did, it was very annoying to use. Every year I ask for a good soldering station, so eventually I will buy one. I do too much DIY to get by with my $9 radioshack iron.
What is your target Solder Iron?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 07:37:53 »
Argh. I want a pair of PCBs and build my own case.
While the full kit is available in many countries, the PCB-only option is available only for US, Canada, UK, France and Germany.
Would it be difficult to add Sweden to that list? I live in the same city as bpiphany, who designed that PCB, for ****s sake ...

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 07:40:42 »
Argh. I want a pair of PCBs and build my own case.
While the full kit is available in many countries, the PCB-only option is available only for US, Canada, UK, France and Germany.
Would it be difficult to add Sweden to that list? I live in the same city as bpiphany, who designed that PCB, for ****s sake ...
You have to ask them to add it, otherwise they won't. I guess they don't want to calculate the shipping costs for all the countries.

Das Model S Ultimate

Offline bisl

« Reply #232 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 17:27:20 »
I love the soldering discussion in this thread.

@Sordna I too have a WES-51. What tips do you recommend? I have the stock ETA, ETAA, and ETP, and I just ordered an ETD and ETS because I have reason to believe at least one of them is a chisel tip, which I'm told makes desoldering easier. I welcome any sage Weller wisdom you might have.

Offline sordna

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 17:51:04 »
I've the stock ETA tip. I don's solder often, so I found the stock tip good enough and didn't bother getting other ones. I think ETS is conical, similar to ETP, not my favorite shape. I think either the ETA or the ETB are the best for this project.

EDIT: I think the ETD you're getting might be too big.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:04:57 by sordna »

Offline r3dx

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:03:36 »
Hey all,

I was going to place an order for the keycaps on Massdropp (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap) and I was wondering when you put in your order is it enough keycaps for the full board or just half? I feel like this a dumb question but the image next to the quantity drop-down only shows half the board so I got confused.

Thanks in advance!
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline sordna

« Reply #235 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:06:11 »
Actually, why don't you post the question on Massdrop ?  I think it's for the full keyboard, but can't be 100% sure.
It's really confusing because they posted a photo of half a keycap set.... and ironically, on the PCB group buy they posted a photo of 2 PCBs even though you are only getting 1.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:11:57 by sordna »

Offline BugBuster

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #236 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:50:21 »
I was going to place an order for the keycaps on Massdropp (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-keycap) and I was wondering when you put in your order is it enough keycaps for the full board or just half? I feel like this a dumb question but the image next to the quantity drop-down only shows half the board so I got confused.

It's for the whole. This was answered in the discussion there, AFAIR.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 00:47:11 »
It is for the full board.  You'll get keys for both halves.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline jabar

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 00:51:13 »
I'm considering just doing the PCBs (which have another 3+ days til their MassDrop ends) and making my own case / provide keycaps and switches. I do wish I got another Teensy via the other GBs going on at the moment.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline regack

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 07:03:09 »
Wow, I'm amazed 195 have been sold... and here I was worrying about meeting the goal of 100 back on day 1...

Offline sordna

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:42:04 »
Final count is 204 sold, wow!

Hey does anyone know how much it would cost to anodize the aluminum case in the US? Also, would all plates need to be anodized, or just the top and bottom ones ?

Offline bisl

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 00:03:29 »
Hey does anyone know how much it would cost to anodize the aluminum case in the US?

Out of curiosity I looked around and found http://www.chicagoanodizing.com/faq. Looks to be fairly expensive. Curious what TheProfosist has planned.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Ergodox Keyboard Kit
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 07:57:07 »
Final count is 204 sold, wow!

Hey does anyone know how much it would cost to anodize the aluminum case in the US? Also, would all plates need to be anodized, or just the top and bottom ones ?
all plates would need to be done I dont know how much it would be yet until I get a quote on one and the quotes go off surfacearea

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:27:17 »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:33:00 »
I saw that the other day as well... I asked Litster about it, and he said that his case files were open. Let me see if I can't find the post.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:33:55 »
I saw that the other day as well... I asked Litster about it, and he said that his case files were open. Let me see if I can't find the post.

They are for the ergo-dox but not the phantom?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline bisl

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:50:33 »
litster-style case yay, row staggering booooooooooooo

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 18:27:48 »
its pretty cool over 200 of these sold. i remember reading a DT post where someone said they wouldn't even get 50 lolol

The wait for this is killing me though. i hope they provide a ETC soon.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Ergodox Keyboard Kit
« Reply #248 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:46:59 »

They are for the ergo-dox but not the phantom?
This is a true fact. I asked about the Phantom files and he did not want to give them to me. :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 05:16:37 »
Hey guys, those keys on the Side they're 2x yea? not 1.5x