Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3471061 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 20:33:59 »
    This thread is easy. Ask a quick and simple question and get a quick answer!
Yes you can ask about keycaps here, anything keyboard related goes! :D Post your questions and we'll answer them! Thanks for making this thread great!

TABLE OF CONTENTS

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Skip to catagories...

Keyboards

Keycaps

Modifications

Stabilizers

The Ideal Setup for Simple Questions, Simple Answers:

Overall I like jdcarpe’s explanation on how this thread should ideally run. I don't want to limit the discussion but this wasn't the original intent of this thread and I wouldn't want the discussion to be lost within this thread. If you could make a spinoff and just reference your post in this thread, that would be the *ideal* situation. But remember, this will always be a place where questions can be asked and hopefully I can provide an answer (or more likely, someone much smarter than me will help out :D)

This post is not directed at anyone in particular. If you think it sounds like your situation, maybe it applies to a specific case you have in mind, but trust me, this post is for general guidelines, and is in no way intended to point out anyone as being wrong or inconsiderate.

Q: Should I post my question here in the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread, or make a new thread to address my problem or situation?

A: If your question is brief, specific, and you reasonably believe that it could be answered in one reply post, please post your question here, and someone will try to help you as soon as possible with an answer and/or explanation of where to find further information. Links to other posts/threads will be provided when possible.

If you think that the response to your question will be likely to require several posts, with the possibility of interaction between yourself and the responder being necessary to come to an conclusion, you would probably be doing the community a favor by starting a new thread regarding your topic. A new thread will give others the opportunity to explore the same issues that you are experiencing in regard to the keyboard, switch, or other issue, organized cohesively into one place.

Also, if what you thought was a simple question turned into a lengthy discussion, please create a new thread regarding that topic, and post a link and direct others to join the discussion in that thread.

These few guidelines should make the organization of information by topic much more defined, and accessible to other members who may be having the same question, problem, or issue you may be experiencing.

Thanks for helping to make this topic the place to turn for questions and answers!

:D

If you can't find your answer, I'll hunt it down for you. Just PM me  :D Good luck and happy knowledge gathering.

If you'd like to provide feedback, please check out this thread here and leave your comments there. Please keep this thread for its original intent. Thanks!

Now for a few rules:
  • This is not a sale/trade/free stuff thread. Please use the Classifieds or PMs to handle that kind of business.
  • Please try and ask yes/no questions or questions that can be answered in a single post or two
  • Please don't ask about prices, we have a thread for that already. This is to avoid people dodging the classifieds rules and posting here
  • Please try and quote the question you're answering. This thread is now big enough that multiple questions and answers are being asked at once and it can get confusing.
  • Please try to limit the discussions here, we have countless other threads and places to discuss. I'd like to keep this thread true to its title. Sorry if I stifle the discussion from time to time
  • Please don't bump your question. I know I'm usually fast with answers (or someone else is fast), but if you don't get an answer in an hour, just be patient. I might actually be doing researching/digging and you might not even know. I think the longest someone waited for an answer is 3-4 days. Just wait or PM me.
  • Please don't post memes or gifs in this thread
  • Please keep this keyboard (keyboards, keycaps, springs, mods, soldering, etc) related.
  • Please don’t bicker in this thread. I will have it cleaned up if I feel it’s needed.

Example questions:

Q = Question
A = Answer

Q: Where can I buy new wire stabilizers?
WASDKeyboards has them.

A:
Btw, they only have 6.25x costar spacebar wire and 2x costar wires. Cherry wires in 6.25x, 7x, and costar in 7x are not available, which I know people do look for occasionally.

Q: What keyboard is this? (Borrowed from reaper's review thread)

A: SHMX

Frequently Asked Questions: Up to FAQ

• How do you search GeekHack more efficiently? Up to FAQ

The native GeekHack search function isn’t working that well in my opinion. You can search using Google. Input the following search -

site:geekhack.org mysearchhere

So you put site:geekhack.org then the search parameters. You can use all the tools of Google search on this search too. This will also work on other site such as Deskthority.net.

Also, Moose gave me this pro-tip: If you want to see if this thread has an answer you already asked, then you can try searching once you have this thread open. In other words, if you're browsing in the Keyboards sub-forum and search, the search will look for things in the Keyboards sub-forum. So if you search "LEDs" while in this thread, then you'll find posts about LEDs.

Q: I need help with X. Is there a list that will help me find assembly/CAD/help services?
Up to FAQ

Domoaligato created The Professional Services Thread. You can see who does assembly services, modding, CAD, etc.

Q: Adding this here since it's been asked multiple times:  Up to FAQ
Are we still doing simple questions simple answers? if so:
What is this sticker mod i am seeing on some keyboards? Like putting stickers under the switches or something? What does this do? And what does lubing the spring do? It seems like lube on a spring would do nothing?

The stickers go between the top and bottom halves off the switch housing. It reduces movement of the switch housing itself, which eliminates any wobble of the switch.

Lubing the sliders of the stem makes the switches feel smoother, and reduces or eliminates any "grittiness" feel of the switches. Lubing the springs reduces or eliminates any squeaking sound coming from the spring movement inside the switch.

I personally think stickers are a bit of a gimmick and I've heard the argument both ways. A video made by Photoelectric shows the wobble that housing can have and what the stickers can try to fix. Also check out this explanation from nubbinator.

Q: X switch is best for gaming. Is that true? Up to FAQ

There is no switch that was made that was "optimized for gaming". No switch is "better" than any other for gaming. There's only personal preference. You might feel comfortable playing on X switch and not Y switch. And that's fine.

Q: Is there a Cherry MX spring actuation force reference guide? Up to FAQ

This picture is borrowed from Ripster. The Cherry actuation forces are (*XX). Rkinze also has a fantastic article which has both actuation and bottom out forces. The discrepancy in rkinze's data can be found here. Ripster also has a great album showing switches disassembled so you can see the springs inside with closeup of the springs so you can do comparisons.

Q: Where is a template for making my own keycap/keyboard layouts? (This gets asked in the IRC probably weekly)

Matt30 made this Color Generator application that allows you to pick color combos. For a blank layout of a keyboard, to color in, you can check out Kaporkle's thread. Next, ne0phyte has a layout generator here and here. Finally, ijprest has this wonderful Keyboard Layout Generator with the proper SP and GMK color chip callouts. The SP ABS Color Codes can be found in Krogenar's thread.

Q: What caps are better? PBT? ABS? Thick? Thin? Up to FAQ

which is better? thick pbt or abs gmk?

That's like asking which is better, Ferrari or Lamborghini? :P

They're both awesome.
It’s all personal preference. Answer also works for “What is the best switch”?

Q: Where do I get one of those keyboard pixel signature thingys? (Looks like: . This was borrowed from inlikeflynn)

The thread is called keyboard pixel art things. Your keyboard is probably listed in that thread but you'll have to search around for it.

Q: Can I remove switches/switch tops without desoldering? Up to FAQ

Not unless you have a custom plate with specialized cutouts that allow this. The_Beast and WFD have made plates like this. In other words, stock plates will require soldering/desoldering, custom plates may have a cutout that allow you to open the tops without desoldering. If the board is PCB mounted, you will not have to solder/desolder. Confirmed by jdcarpe

Q: Where can I learn more about soldering? Up to FAQ

Tjaustin and jdcarpe started this thread which I think is a great guide on soldering/soldering equipment. Also, this guide/comic is often linked when people ask "How do I learn to solder?"

Q: Can I play video games on a RealForce/HHKB? Up to FAQ

Yes, it shouldn't hinder your abilities in any manner. I follow the StarCraft 2 professional scene and I know for a fact that TT1 and MC both have used RealForce keyboards in competition.

Q: jdcarpe ordered me to add this to the OP. I blame him.

Does anyone know what size screws the Poker/Pure case uses?

CPTBadAss, please put this info in the OP:

Poker/Pure cases use M2-4mm (0.4mm pitch) machine screws to mount the PCB to the case. McMaster-Carr part # 92000A011

Q: Are there switch opening tools? I heard The_Beast was selling some? Up to FAQ

Yes, The_Beast made some a while back in a round 1 of the tools. Some alternatives were pitched by Larken and Nubbinator/Limmy. Also photekq has suggested that a small flathead screwdriver will do the trick as well.

Q: What's part number for PCB/Plate-mount stabilizers? Up to FAQ

Does anyone know the part number for PCB mounted Costar or Cherry stabilizers?

There is no such thing as "PCB Mounted" Costar stabilizers. All Costar stabilizers attach to the plate.

Cherry "Plate Mounted" stabilizers are parts: G99-0224 (1x2, 1x2.25, 1x2.75), G99-0379 (1x7), and G99-0226 (1x8, 1x9, 1x10).

These Cherry part numbers are "without frame". Without frame means no plate or PCB, I've personally confirmed it by ordering these parts from Mouser.: G99-0742 (1x2, 1x2.25, 1x2.75), G99-0745 (1x7), and G99-0744 (1x8, 1x9, 1x10).

This is the link from Cherry: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

Q: Where can I buy stabilizers/stabilizer wire? Up to FAQ

For Costar stabilizers, you can go to WASDKeyboards. For Cherry, check out Ortholinear Keyboards, GON or Imsto. You can also bend your own. Litster's video may be helpful. The wire diameter for Costar is 3/64" music wire found at hobby shops and he uses a Du-Bro EZ Bender tool. And I believe the Cherry wire diameter is 1/16".

Q: What's the basic difference between the Korean weight springs and stock Cherry springs? Up to FAQ

Korean springs are measured at bottom out force while Cherry springs are measured at actuation.

Basically a 60g-ish korean spring = same as springs in blues, reds, browns.
Obviously Photekq's answer is oversimplifying the springs but that is the basic premise. For a more indepth look at springs and their spring rate, acutation force estimate, and bottom out averages, please take a look at rkinze's Cherry MX Spring Measurements thread.

Q: What font does SP use on their caps prior to the Geekhack Cherry legend fundraiser? What is the stock SP font? Up to FAQ

Okay, I'd like to clear this up once and for all. Maybe this needs to go into a wiki or FAQ. I don't work for Signature Plastics, but I researched this and found this page on SP's web site.
History
The history of Signature Plastics began in 1973 with a company named Comptec. Comptec began injection molding and quickly became a leading manufacturer of two-shot molded plastic parts for customers world wide servicing the computer, telecommunication, electronic, automotive, medical and consumer products markets.

Signature Plastics was established in 2001 following a management buyout of assets and customer base of Comptec Inc. The products developed and technologies perfected during the formative Comptec years laid the foundation for Signature Plastics' continued success today resulting in over thirty years of plastic molding expertise.

- Comptec created the WYSE font and made all the original keycaps for the WYSE keyboards you can still find in the marketplace.

- Signature Plastics did not make the original WYSE keycaps. Comptec did. It appears the tooling they use now is newer tooling, and not the original tooling.

- Signature Plastics's default legend font is the WYSE font they acquired from Comptec.

Q: Is there a list of 60%/75%/Compact Keyboards? Up to FAQ

Yes, the most updated lists are the Keychatter Buyers guide and the /r/mechanicalkeyboards wiki. mashby also created this great list.

Q: I want to get LEDs, where are some sources? Up to FAQ

I personally ordered 2x3x4 mm square LEDs from this eBay vendor. I have also heard that some people really like SuperBrightLEDs. And of course, Mouser carries them. For more info on square vs round LEDs, check out this post by Photekq.

Q: I want to see what X caps look like on a backlit board? Up to FAQ

Check out the pictures that Jocelyn (1,2) and I posted.

Q: I'm looking for old Cherry boards and rebranded boards on eBay. What should I look for? Up to FAQ

Check out this post from Ivan. Also check out the DT Wiki and their Cherry Article Numbers post.

Q: Why do some switches cost more than others? Up to FAQ

Pricing depends on Cherry and the pricing tiers that Carter (CM Representative on GH) gave out (cheapest to most expensive) can be found here.

Q: I want to reprogram my Poker 2 to do X? Where is some info on that? Up to FAQ

Here is some generic info on the Poker 2 including the original manual in Chinese. A translated manual can be found here. WhiteFireDragon has a great review with lots of helpful info here.

Q: Can I add LEDs to my Poker 2? Up to FAQ

Check out this post here and here.

Q: I want to bend my own Cherry stabilizer wire. Is there any info on this? Up to FAQ

Check out this post here.

Q: The Costar inserts in my modifiers are loose. How do I fix this? Up to FAQ

Don't know what a Costar insert is? Check out this picture borrowed from Brann Mitchell's review on a Rosewill RK9000. Then look at these pictures from Photoelectric. You don't need to use teflon tape; regular tape, plastic bags, and paper all work. You can also check out the this post from rowdy and this thread from missalaire and Smallfry.

Q: What are the dimensions for a hole in a plate that will accept a Cherry MX housing? Up to FAQ

See the picture below, provided by jdcarpe. Dimensions are in inches. The spacing between each switch is 19.05mm or .75 inches from center to center, as verfied by Damorgue.

Q: What affects the finish of a keycap/stem/plastic more: the material or the finish? Up to FAQ

See this post from BLJ, who is the SP plastics guru.

Q: I don't know which way my diodes/LEDs go. Does the polarity matter? Up to FAQ

Check out this post here. Also this picture and this picture explain the polarity on LEDs. Longer leg is positive, shorter leg is negative. Finally, this explanation from Samwisekoi is very straightforward.

Q: Is there a beginner's guide to modding my keyboard? Up to FAQ

BlueBar created this great guide which I highly recommend. This is geared more towards MX switches. There is also an entire thread on soldering, where you can learn everything ever about soldering. Jwaz also linked the EEVblog video on basic soldering equipment and WhiteFireDragon's YouTube channel here. I found this WFD video extremely helpful.

Q: Can I modify my Alps keyboard like the MX keyboards? Up to FAQ

Yes, check out this post here.

Q: Where can I find the sheet that people use to check their keycap layouts? Up to FAQ

inlikeflynn posted a 11x17" and 8x11" file, which looks like the "official GeekHack one" (Laminated sheets were once sold in a GH Pack sold by Techkeys as shown in mashby's post). Samwisekoi also posted one he made for a sheet of 8x11" and A4 here. Mr. Chunky also has a .pdf.

Q: What lube should I use for stabilizers? Up to FAQ

The_Beast recommends Superlube and says that WASDKeyboard uses the same. WFD uses GPL-205 grease. He also has a video on how to lube the stabilizers here.

Q: I want to use the GeekHack logo. How do I get the logo? Up to FAQ

Krogenar started the GeekHack Logo Thread. There's many designs listed there. The GH Wiki also has two logo styles. If you want to use them, please exercise professional courtesy and inform mkawa and Krogenar that you are using the logos. You technically don't need their permission but mkawa, Krog, and mod/admin crew appreciate it.

Q: I'm looking for my first mechanical keyboard. What would you (CPTBadAss) recommend? Up to FAQ
I personally (CPTBadAss) would recommend you pick the size and switches you like first. Check out this link for more info on switches. For beginners, I recommend Cherry MX. Then do you want full size, TKL, or 60%? Those are the most common options. For fullsize, I recommend CoolerMaster QuickFire Storm or XT. For TKL, CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid. And for 60%, I suggest Poker II or Poker X. You can also check out this buying guide from the reddit /r/mechanicalkeyboards Wiki.

Q: Is there a list of vendors where I can buy keycaps from? Up to FAQ
Yes, see this thread made by Quardah. It's pretty comprehensive.

Q: What is the actual measurement of a 6x or 6u spacebar? Up to FAQ
Check out this post from Damorgue for a more detailed explanation. 1x = 1u = 1 unit = 19.05mm. Remember that this distance is from key center to key center. See jacobolus' post for more info.

Q: What is a Moogle kit? What is a Tsangan kit? Up to FAQ
Check out this post from jdcarpe, this post from Photekq, and my follow up post. You'll need to read those posts before this reference picture from dubsgalore makes sense. Another good reference for a Tsangan kit is Mr. Chunky's Keycap Layout Guide. A full moogle set could  look something like this WYSE moogle from eth0s. A full Tsangan kit would look something like this thread from Hashbaz and the keyboard would look like this board from MMB.

Q: Is there a list of Cherry switch part numbers? Up to FAQ
Check this post from Spamray out. The Deskthority wiki and Cherry's website also has the part numbers.

Q: Is there a quick primer on what mechanical keyboards are and a basic explanation of the different types out there? Up to FAQ
Check out this entry from the GH wiki. You can then check out the links in Lastpilot’s Switch Review Directory.

Q: What is a Click Clack keycap (or a Clack/CC)? Up to FAQ

Check out the Clack Info Thread and Clack Wiki article. You can also check out the Post your Clacks thread and ClackFactory's 4Grabs thread.

Q: The switches in my keyboard feel different than the same switches in another keyboard. Why? Up to FAQ
Check out this post.

Q: Is there any information on o-rings/soft-landing pads/dampeners? Up to FAQ
Check out this writeup. And I’ve also posted a review here.

Q: Is there any information on how different switches sound? Up to FAQ
Check out Mr. Interface's website. Click on sim on the right and you can test out how keyboards sound. Just start typing. You can find a similar Model M simulation from Webwit here. Mr. Interface's site also has pictures and YouTube reviews all his keyboards. Mr. Interface is a Deskthority member who organizes switch try or "Try before you buy" stuff on Deskthority. Just a heads up, Mr. Interface's website can be very taxing on your browser.

Q: Is there a glossary for common abbreviations? Up to FAQ
Check out this thread.

Q: Is there a guide on the different keycap set colors? Up to FAQ
Check out this thread.

Q: I need to find more info on a keyboard/switch. Are there some sources I can look through? Up to FAQ
Check out this list listed in the DT wiki.. There's a lot of information on vintage switches in particular. Also the Deskthority Wiki is my personal go to for information.

Q: Is there a post about the different keycap material types?Up to FAQ
Check out this post in the DT wiki.

Q: What is a price estimate if I want to build my own custom keyboard? Up to FAQ
This post is a start but I highly suggested checking out Making Stuff Together to see what others have done.

Q: I found a G81-XXXX keyboard for sale. Can I use them with MX switches? Up to FAQ
G81-XXXX keyboards have MY switches. However, MY and MX switches have the same mount so you can use the caps interchangably. I use this DT Wiki article "Cherry Article Numbers" to determine what the keycaps are for both G81-XXXX and G80-XXXX keyboards.

Q: How do I restore a vintage keyboard?[/iurl][/size]
This video from The 8-Bit Guy and BlueBär's video do a really good job describing how to clean keyboards. The 8-Bit Guy's keyboard also shows how to retro-bright.[/list]
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 February 2016, 06:45:04 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Strelok

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 21:25:32 »

Q: Is there an explanation on anodization? Up to FAQ
Check out Photoelectric's post here.

Q: Are there measurements for keycap thicknesses? Up to FAQ
Check out WASDKeyboard's post here.

Q: Are there pictures of the different LED types? Up to FAQ

Check out this post from Photoelectric.

Q:  Is there a guide on ergonomic keyboards? Up to FAQ

Check out this post from hoggy.

Q: How do I lube my Cherry MX switches? Up to FAQ

Check out this post with info from WFD (a video), MMB (a thread), and ripster (pictures).
More
For CPTBadAss, last letter used is EEEE

Original Giveaway Post:

Announcing the Simple Questions Simple Answers giveaway. All you gotta do to win some swag is to be the person who posts the 1300th post. This includes international GHers as well. Good luck and happy knowledge gathering

Congrats to esoomenona for winning the first giveaway! He will be getting a Mimic cable from TechKeys![/list]

Old stickied topic announcement

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT - WE'VE CRACKED THE TOP 10 LIST!! THIS IS ALSO NOW A STICKIED TOPIC!! Thanks to everyone who's asked or answered questions!

Old EK Clack Sale FAQ

Have questions about the new EK Clack sale? Click here for more info

Old OP

Ever wanted to ask a quick keyboard-related question but didn't feel like it warranted an entire topic? Ever wanted a thread that a lot of random info in one place? This thread could become that.

Maybe you wanted to know where to buy an o-ring set or a Zelda heart keycap. Maybe you want to know if the keyboard you saw in the "Post Your Korean Custom" picture thread was a KMAC or a Cheat. Maybe you wanted to know if imsto's PBT caps are thick or thin.

Strelok's original post is after the jump.

I'll bite.

Can I put a plate on PCB mount switches?
    « Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2015, 07:53:07 by infiniti »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
    • ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 21:38:38 »
    Yes.  The only difference on PCB mount switches is 2 small plastic pins sticking out of the bottom of the housing to either side of the large central pin.  You can cut off the pins to get the same as plate mount, or if the PCB has the holes don't cut them at all.
    Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
    Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
    « Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 22:05:49 »
    Explain dark matter.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
    « Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 22:07:57 »

Where can I buy new wire stabilizers?
    WASDKeyboards has them.

Btw, they only have 6.25x costar spacebar wire and 2x costar wires. Cherry wires in 6.25x, 7x, and costar in 7x are not available, which I know people do look for occasionally.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
    « Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 22:13:03 »
    Explain dark matter.

It's just a HUGE amount of matter so dense thats it's own gravity makes it collapse on itself. It's like having the whole planet earth to fit in a single keycap. It cannot be seen, but can be perceived by the gravitationnal effect on surrounding elements (planets, stars, etc.)
    IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
    • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
    « Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 22:58:10 »
    Explain dark matter.

It's just a HUGE amount of matter so dense thats it's own gravity makes it collapse on itself. It's like having the whole planet earth to fit in a single keycap. It cannot be seen, but can be perceived by the gravitationnal effect on surrounding elements (planets, stars, etc.)

crazy theories,, Jesus accounts for 84% of the mass of the universe, not dark matter.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
    • * Maker
    • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
      • Buy stuff
    « Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:13:10 »
    Explain dark matter.

crazy theories,, Jesus accounts for 84% of the mass of the universe, not dark matter.

It's like you don't even try when you do this anymore...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
    • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
    « Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:23:36 »
    Explain dark matter.

some one has a broken sarcasm meter

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
    • * Maker
    • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
      • Buy stuff
    « Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:28:30 »
    Explain dark matter.

some one has a broken sarcasm meter

Over-active troll detector would be more accurate.  Pyramids are power.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
    • Leopold fanboy
    « Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:33:02 »
    Explain dark matter.

That's a black hole.  You have no idea what dark matter is.  What dark matter is, is not a simple question and has no simple answer.  Head over to wikipedia.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
    « Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:34:43 »
    That stuff the luminatti had in Angels and Demons? Yeah, apparently makes helicopters go boom boom.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:38:35 by SmallFry »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
    • Leopold fanboy
    « Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:36:46 »
    That was antimatter.  It is well understood.  And it wasn't the illuminati, it was the priest.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:38:03 »
    Oh. Shoot, well... uhh... you can get Costar stabilizers from WASD Keyboards! :P

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
    « Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:00:03 »
    What is the point in novelty keycaps?

Offline Larken

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:06:01 »
    for novelty.
    | Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
    « Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 02:02:43 »
    ^lol

Why are a lot of double-shot keycaps ABS instead of PBT?

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 02:43:24 »
    ^lol

Why are a lot of double-shot keycaps ABS instead of PBT?

The tooling seems to be more expensive to develop; PBT is a bit trickier to work with than ABS because of warping/shrinkage.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
      • Wired In Store
    « Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 11:18:22 »
    I'm looking for a keyboard as good of quality as a Filco or better with Cherry stabilizers, square frame and no logo.

Any takes?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 13:22:15 »

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:04:16 »
    What do you think of the leopold I linked?

Offline calavera

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 14:15:41 »
    What kind of controller does the Noppoo choc mini use allowing NKRO over USB? And where can I get one besides destroying one? :P

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
    « Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 15:07:14 »
    What do you think of the leopold I linked?

Not too crazy about the case design. Are they made as solid as the Filco's? I'll be honest, the reason I want to try a cherry stabilizer, is because I really don't like the meta ting of the wire.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
    • Leopold fanboy
    « Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 17:20:24 »
    What kind of controller does the Noppoo choc mini use allowing NKRO over USB? And where can I get one besides destroying one? :P

FYI my Leopold FC200R also manages to do WELL over 6kro over USB.  I don't know why they don't advertise that fact.  I can't hit the limit (it's over 16) with my fingers, I have to used my palm.  Tested here

Offline okooko

• afk.
    « Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 17:38:58 »
    Q.
    What do you usually do when you buy another KB knowing your significant other half will be pissed beyond godlike?

(I just get prepared to spend double, so $xxx.xx for the KB, and $xxx.xx for the hu$h) lol

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
      • Tactile Zine
    « Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 17:40:20 »
    Q.
    What do you usually do when you buy another KB knowing your significant other half will be pissed beyond godlike?

(I just get prepared to spend double, so $xxx.xx for the KB, and $xxx.xx for the hu$h) lol

Apparently a very common answer is to hide them in random cardboard boxes then stash em in the basement.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
    • Live long, and prosper.
    « Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 17:59:38 »
    Q.

Apparently a very common answer is to hide them in random cardboard boxes then stash em in the basement.

Yeah, or in a disorganized closet, garage, etc. Get a P.O. box. :D
    KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
      • Tactile Zine
    « Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:46:47 »
    Just go for the hard counter. Yes, honey, I bought all these boards but here, I bought you this piece of jewelry as well!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
    • * Esteemed Elder
    • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
      • Buried Planet
    « Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:09:31 »
    Explain dark matter.

I can't explain it because we don't know what it is. All that scientists can be sure about is that their projections about the mass of the universe are not right. If I recall correctly, they think the universe should be expanding at a much faster rate than we observe. Their explanation for why it is not expanding faster is that there must be some large amount of unaccounted mass slowing down the expansion. Since only about 10% of the universe emits radiation (light, x-rays, etc.) we can only observe that small amount. Or maybe they forgot to distribute a -1 somewhere, I dunno.

Maybe there are giant shrimp-like creatures floating through space, eating planets in their path?

Meh, next question.
    GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
    More
    Quote from: Samuel Adams
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Sai

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:24:15 »
    Why and When did Cherry stop making their famous keycaps?
    (if this has been answered, please link me to it. I'd like to read them :D )
    - WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline okooko

• afk.
    « Reply #32 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:56:04 »
    Just go for the hard counter. Yes, honey, I bought all these boards but here, I bought you this piece of jewelry as well!

Mate, the next piece of jewelry she is expecting is probably a ring.
    Id rather get scolded than fork out that amount of money that I obviously do not have and the implications if I were to do so.
     (after all my custom IEMS are about to come in the mail, i think the isolation is extreme!)

Offline calavera

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 11:58:39 »
    Did Noppoo Chic mini just change the bottom row on their keyboards?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gubz/8384026044/in/photostream/

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 12:04:27 »
    Stemming off of that, is the Noppoo Choc Mini PCB or Plate mounted?

Offline calavera

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 12:09:02 »
    Aren't choc mini's all plate mounted?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #36 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 12:10:48 »
    I wasn't sure, that's why I asked. :D

Offline calavera

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 15:43:26 »
    All of mine are plate mounted.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #38 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 15:44:15 »
    Ah. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Offline GordonZed

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:07:11 »
    I bought a DK9008 but now want the DK9087. Is this just a side effect of joining Geekhack, or should I make the switch once it arrives?
    Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL (MX blue)

Offline llovro

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:22:06 »
    would it be possible to make a custom keyboard with buckling springs (so it would be programmable, NKRO or 6KRO)?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
    • I like wood ಠ_๏
    « Reply #41 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:28:27 »
    would it be possible to make a custom keyboard with buckling springs (so it would be programmable, NKRO or 6KRO)?

It's hard but do-able. mkawa is making a bunch of custom SSK right now
    Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline llovro

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:44:57 »

Yeah I know that, but 2KRO is probably a deal breaker for me :( But what would I have to do to make that possible? Make a custom PCB?
    « Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:51:44 by llovro »

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
      • My Website!
    « Reply #43 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:45:42 »
    I bought a DK9008 but now want the DK9087. Is this just a side effect of joining Geekhack, or should I make the switch once it arrives?

Yes.
    "I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
    Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:49:48 »
    Are double shot ABS considered "thick" like an imsto PBT thick? I've seen a couple doublshot ABS called "thin" but I'm still a little confused on the matter regarding mixing / matching PBT thicks and ABS double-shots.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
    • I like wood ಠ_๏
    « Reply #45 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 03:57:57 »

Yeah I know that, but 2KRO is probably a deal breaker for me :( But what would I have to do to make that possible? Make a custom PCB?

I don't think BS board can have a PCB. But I'm not 100%

Are double shot ABS considered "thick" like an imsto PBT thick? I've seen a couple doublshot ABS called "thin" but I'm still a little confused on the matter regarding mixing / matching PBT thicks and ABS double-shots.

Depends. SP is pretty thin DS keys and Cherry's are considered thick

Not all DS caps are created the same!
    Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #46 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 07:51:03 »

I don't think BS board can have a PCB. But I'm not 100%

Depends. SP is pretty thin DS keys and Cherry's are considered thick

Not all DS caps are created the same!
    Or get an F with a Soarer-verter.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 11:56:46 »
    Now this leads me too a somewhat related follow up question. Is it / would it be possible to make double-shots for back-lit keycaps?

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 12:14:56 »

Couldn't you take the keyboard controller of your choice and hand wire the matrix for the buckling springs.

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 12:17:13 »
    Is there a way to get translucent on black double shots for a back lit keyboard?