Author Topic: eBay: 4x Realforce 89S 10AE no reserve  (Read 18190 times)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
eBay: 4x Realforce 89S 10AE no reserve
« on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:12:44 »
http://www.ebay.com/sch/tangxiao1978/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3686

Seller has 4 starting at $1. Seller doesn't have any feedback though :/

Might be a good chance to get one of these fairly unique boards on the cheap
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:18:39 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: eBay: 4x Realforce 89S 10AE no reserve
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:27:28 »
NICE, going to "watch" these
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:27:51 »
Hmmmm too bad it doesn't say what the weight is. Considering there are only 30g models on amazon Japan, it may be those. Hmm they may be silent as well....

No one bid on one of these, I'll take the gamble with this seller :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 10:53:08 »
NICE, going to "watch" these

^^ this is the stance I took as well!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:03:33 »
So I PMed the seller to ask for the switch weight information, I'll let you guys know. I'm thinking there might be one of each here but we'll see.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:05:09 »
So I PMed the seller to ask for the switch weight information, I'll let you guys know. I'm thinking there might be one of each here but we'll see.

Can we lay down bets? My money is on all 30g silent.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:25:05 »
Oh that's really great... just as I'm about to put one of these up for sale, the market gets flooded.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:33:14 »
Oh that's really great... just as I'm about to put one of these up for sale, the market gets flooded.

I guess it really depends on which version you have ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:33:53 »

I believe it's the one in his sig :eek: all 30g!

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:47:04 »

I believe it's the one in his sig :eek: all 30g!

Haha, nope the one in my sig is a different board. I used the 89S as doner board to make a FC660C into all 30g silent. Now the 89S is mostly 45g. But I have it modded to be more ANSI (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44796.0) so hopefully that'll garner more interest.

I might sell the all-30g 87u in my sig eventually though. But it won't be cheap  ;)

Offline Atakp

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 11:50:45 »
Ya I'd be 99% sure these are all 30g uniform silenced. They're PS/2 as well.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 12:42:28 »
I just bid $100 on  one of them. I'm not a huge fan of the japanese layout, but we'll see what they go to.

I'm almost certain I'll be outbid, but I still haven't tried topre yet, so I do sort-of have a maximum price for a switch I haven't tried yet in a layout I don't like.

Offline JWK

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:46:47 »
The seller has zero (0) feedback.  And he is soliciting off-Ebay transactions.  And his website is so new that it has not been indexed by Google.  Interesting. 

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:55:56 »
I just bid $100 on  one of them. I'm not a huge fan of the japanese layout, but we'll see what they go to.

I'm almost certain I'll be outbid, but I still haven't tried topre yet, so I do sort-of have a maximum price for a switch I haven't tried yet in a layout I don't like.

Bro, do you even eBay? wait till the end! (if you really want it)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:58:18 »

Man, not as bad as the Namiki Falcon bidding...I see 5 bids before they hit $5....hah.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 13:59:41 »
If you can buy one of these for under $100, it's probably worth it, IMO.  Even if they are uniform 30g weighted silent switches (which feel no lighter than MX reds, IMO).  That anniversary color combo (Blue & Grey) is not very attractive, but some people love it.  Also the layout is funky with that tiny Japanese-style spacebar, and the ISO-ish Enter key.  Plus the |\ has been moved to a 1x key in Row 4 and backspace is a 1x key as well.  Neither is fatal to the appeal of the keyboard, but it's something to consider.

Anyway, I would still say $100 or less is a great price to pay for one of these. ($1 of course is ridiculous, and it will sell for more that that.)

$100-$150 range is overpaying, but still okay, if it goes that high, and if you really want one of these for your collection.

$150-$200 and over is just too high.  Instead you should just get a brand-new RealForce 87U from EK Brian for $250 with a warranty, and with a more attractive color scheme (either white/grey or black on black).
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 14:03:05 »
If you can buy one of these for under $100, it's probably worth it, IMO.  Even if they are uniform 30g weighted silent switches (which feel no lighter than MX reds, IMO).  That anniversary color combo (Blue & Grey) is not very attractive, but some people love it.  Also the layout is funky with that tiny Japanese-style spacebar, and the ISO-ish Enter key.  Plus the |\ has been moved to a 1x key in Row 4 and backspace is a 1x key as well.  Neither is fatal to the appeal of the keyboard, but it's something to consider.

Anyway, I would still say $100 or less is a great price to pay for one of these. ($1 of course is ridiculous, and it will sell for more that that.)

$100-$150 range is overpaying, but still okay, if it goes that high, and if you really want one of these for your collection.

$150-$200 and over is just too high.  Instead you should just get a brand-new RealForce 87U from EK Brian for $250 with a warranty, and with a more attractive color scheme (either white/grey or black on black).

Considering they go for about ~$250 on amazon japan, http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B007BHW03U/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18DX29XMBPJWHA6QX4XR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463376756&pf_rd_i=489986

Anything under $200 is really a deal. 30g silent is not an easy to come by switch (if they are indeed that), sadly not many people like JIs (I do, I have several). Tiny spacebars forever!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 14:03:58 »

I mean, that's just how the JIS layout is :p

Anyone buying one of these knows what they are getting into (I'd hope)

I'm almost willing to bet that if these don't get to high enough prices that he'll cancel them. but again, we will see.

As the OP I got dibs on this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Topre-REALFORCE89S10th-Keyboard-Japanese-89-layout-Import-JAPAN-/290932910051?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item43bcf3e7e3
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 14:12:23 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 15:19:59 »
I am a little concerned that the seller is a fake. As I have never used ebay's buyer protection program before, I'm not sure what benefits we buyers have. What if the seller is a scammer?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 15:56:10 »
I am a little concerned that the seller is a fake. As I have never used ebay's buyer protection program before, I'm not sure what benefits we buyers have. What if the seller is a scammer?

Paypal dispute?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 16:02:11 »

Oh absolutely, I eBay all the time. and I get excellent deals on ebay constantly.

But for items that I expect will go higher than what I'm willing to pay (ibm M15's cherry dyesubs, etc.) I just input my highest price early on and if I win, then I get a good deal. If not, then I'm not out anything. I dont really expect to win, since my highest price is much lower than what the item is probably worth, but ti's worth a shot anyway.

I mean, I also put low offers on some less-useful BIN IBM's and I occasionally win them.

If I am serious about bidding, then I might wait for a bit, but it's fun to do things this way and then watch and see.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:26:09 »
Be careful dudes and here is why:

- Seller has zero feedback
- Starting price for the items is crazy low + free shipping for  item of that weight

Just saying...
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:32:29 »

- Starting price for the items is crazy low + free shipping for  item of that weight

Just saying...

Did you read the thread? We are all concerned and wondering if we are safe if he flakes.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:34:14 »
I read some not all
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:55:08 »

Just saying...

Don't worry this is Ebay.  When you win and pay the amount, the seller has a maximum of 45 days to send it to you.  If you haven't received anything within 45 days then do a call-back on the bastard.

Paypal is good when there are dubious sellers (and there are heaps), they saved my ass a few times when I got every cent back from them.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 19:55:19 »
Wow-That spacebar.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 20:33:14 »
Wow-That spacebar.
that is what you get for JIS.

FWIW, the only reason I bid at all is because of all the buyer protection that eBay and PayPal have. Who knows? maybe I'll get a good keyboard at a good price. We shall see.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 20:34:46 »
Wow-That spacebar.
that is what you get for JIS.

FWIW, the only reason I bid at all is because of all the buyer protection that eBay and PayPal have. Who knows? maybe I'll get a good keyboard at a good price. We shall see.
I hope you're able to get it at a good price!  :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Rafen

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 20:45:27 »
I was actually thinking about asking if he had anymore pictures of the boards just to make sure this is real.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 21:13:41 »
Man, you guys worry so much. Please take all our warnings to heart and avoid these auctions. They're very dangerous. Please.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 10:08:39 »
Elrick, mind telling me how it all works?

I've heard that paypal is quite big about the tracking number but isn't so good when item is not as described. So that when some sellers purposely send you an empty box or a box with something seemingly correct but actually very flawed (eg a Chinese knockoff of the actual Topre), paypal and ebay don't know how to handle it. And if they want you to do RMA back to the seller, you wind up paying a lot more for shipping back to him aka pain in the ass for a long time before you get money back.

My biggest concern is actually that this is a real Topre, just that it's not intended to be sold. AKA Chinese contract manufacturers get the contract to produce, and they're supposed to dispose of flawed products that don't meet Topre's standards. Of course they want to make money on the side, so they try to sell on the secondary market.

This guy hasn't provided photos of the back end. Maybe there is no Topre sticker to prove it's an accepted Topre. I don't think ebay would support you in that case, although you would still end up with a Topre that breaks down after a while.

Just saying...

Don't worry this is Ebay.  When you win and pay the amount, the seller has a maximum of 45 days to send it to you.  If you haven't received anything within 45 days then do a call-back on the bastard.

Paypal is good when there are dubious sellers (and there are heaps), they saved my ass a few times when I got every cent back from them.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 10:13:20 »
As a seller I got shot down by paypal on an "item not as described" argument.  I sold an item used in good condition and the buyer complained that the bottom (where you set it down on things like pavement) was scuffed.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:55:45 »
Watching this as well... Hope it's not a fraud :(
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 11:57:00 »
Watching this as well... Hope it's not a fraud :(

It definitely is, your best bet is to completely ignore it.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:28:31 »
That whole "buy two get one free" offer in the third image is worrisome.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 21:05:40 »
This looks almost certainly fraudulent.

If you go to the URL in the image it links to a dodgy looking website with all sorts of computers, peripherals and electronics for a tiny fraction of the standard retail prices.

I'm talking brand new iMacs for < $200...

I was hopeful, but steer well clear of this one!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 21:14:25 »
I'm talking brand new iMacs for < $200...

Oooh yes please i'll have 10 of those thank you very much please deposit the money directly into my account.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sniping

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 21:28:51 »
This is definitely fake. The third picture with the name of the website looked very fishy to me. I looked it up on mywot and this is what I came up with
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/allurefirm.com

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 07:02:11 »
I've seen these site before, the lure in internet n00bs, mostly OLD people, by using the ridiculously low prices... for example, HTC one for $200, really???

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 09:36:51 »
Now that you guys are all sad that the ebay listing is fake, there's a real 89S for sale over here if you feel like sending the seller some nice offers  ;)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45011.0

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 10:42:22 »
Well the auctions are over and sadly I won one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290932910187?&autorefresh=true

I feel like the real saga begins now.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 10:52:47 »
Now that you guys are all sad that the ebay listing is fake, there's a real 89S for sale over here if you feel like sending the seller some nice offers  ;)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45011.0

But you took out the majority of the silent purple sliders :/

I totally spaced on this auction but the sliders and domes were the only draw for me

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:43:27 »
Well the auctions are over and sadly I won one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290932910187?&autorefresh=true

I feel like the real saga begins now.
Keep us informed as to how it goes. I guess worst case scenario is you'll be out $31.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:49:50 »
Pretty sure I'm about to get two of these at my place...how in the world do I verify if they're legit or not?

Offline Topre

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 13:27:44 »
It's not a big deal if you guys bought from eBay, the seller probably won't ship it. The point of the listing was to advertise their site and possibly scam people using the site.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 15:01:30 »
It's not a big deal if you guys bought from eBay, the seller probably won't ship it. The point of the listing was to advertise their site and possibly scam people using the site.

I know, I fully expect to have to deal with painful contacting of seller, and then some exciting paypal disputes, etc. Still, maybe I get lucky and receive it. We'll see

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 07:35:43 »
Dorkvader, I just won an auction for a broken Razer last week for $21 (I needed the Cherry blues). Seller is backing out saying keyboard is broken.

The whole damn point of his auction, stated in the title, is that auction is for a broken keyboard!

But there's no way to make him ship. He rejects your payment, ebay closes the case. So it seems you can run dubious auctions to scam people. If they get you to pay them on their website, good for them. If they don't manage to sucker you, they just refund you and give some dumb excuse.

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 10:58:39 »
I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad I won one.  The whole thing smells scammy, but I can't wrap my head around why someone would choose an obscure brand of keyboard with an obscure layout vs something like the latest samsung cell phones or xboxes or something normal people would be interested in. Why choose something that less than 1 percent of the population could even identify? I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 11:40:01 »
george, let me suggest that they don't want to scam too many people. a smart scammer wants to stay in business for as long as possible, so he wants only to get a few victims at a time.

Offline ikoma

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 11:41:58 »
george, let me suggest that they don't want to scam too many people. a smart scammer wants to stay in business for as long as possible, so he wants only to get a few victims at a time.
You really don't need to be that smart when you're overseas and cant be prosecuted easily.
QFR x2 | HHKB Pro2 | IBM Model M2 x2 | IBM Model M | Razer Blackwidow | NeXT Keyboard (Alps)