Author Topic: Have any of you messed around with alternative Operating Systems?  (Read 5954 times)

Offline dante

And by alternative I mean non-Microsoft/non-Apple/non-Linux/Unix/BSD/etc?

Such as:

AROS - Based on the Commodore Amiga link

Haiku - Based on BeOS link

RISCOS - Based on the Acorn Archimedes link

menuetos - An OS written entirely in Assembler! link

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Have any of you messed around with alternative Operating Systems?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 10:14:10 »
I want to do this so badly,

But who haz the time..

I am deeply unnerved by how the big corporations warp our digital destinies

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 15:07:15 »
I have not tried it, but the weirdest alternative operating system might be TempleOS. Made by former atheist with former mental health issues who found God when he was hospitalised.... It has a biblical theme.
One aspect of it that I find interesting is that everything is available and hackable. You have all the source code available right there and you can update it almost on the fly. Everything is written in a "HolyC" with hyperlinks and images.

I tried out the original BeOS once... some 15 years ago and the Live CD killed my Windows partition so I never ran it again.
Back then you could also get the realtime OS QNX with a GUI and desktop environment called Photon - and the company behind it tried to artificially form a community around it that never took off.
In 2010, Blackberry bought QNX and closed off everything ...
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 July 2017, 15:10:32 by Findecanor »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 19:48:25 »
Played with:
OS/2 - Had IBM not gotten into an argument with Microsoft over Win3.1, we might all be using this today. ATMS were/are still using this up until recently. It was a good running system.

AtheOS - Amiga OS clone that was an experiment that lead to other Amiga clones.

ReactOS - Nice idea, but while it is getting better, I think it's too far behind to be of much use these days.

BSD family - Pretty similar to Linux, not hard to cross over between them.

PearPC - Was an emulator that allowed you to run MacOSX on a PC before Apple switched to Intel and we got the Hackintosh.

BeOS/Haiku - Lovely OS for the time (especially for multimedia), insanely fast and stable with a wild history. The interface is now very dated and the hardware requirements which were semi strict in BeOS are even worse in Haiku as it falls further behind the times. Worse still is the lack of software than runs on it has also shrank. Still neat to play with and I would love to see how fast it would run on a modern I7 with an SSD.

Hackintosh - PC running MacOs (what I'm currently using)

Probably forgetting a few and doesn't include Windows betas or Linux variants, much less the variants of normal systems.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 July 2017, 19:50:34 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 21:39:27 »
I used OS2 for a short period of time. I'm always hopeful that one day there will be more choices. Originally it was about hardware compatibility but unfortunately today it boils down to what applications do you need to use, and what OS are they available on.
-Dana

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 21:51:17 »
Haiku - yes, but not for long.  Typical scenario of installed it, now what?  Not enough time to do much else with it.

VMS - I user to have some VAXen running VMS.  When they went, I looked into the free alternatives, such as OpenVMS and FreeVMS.  OpenVMS you have to sign up with HP (current owners) and register for a hobbyist install.  CBF.  FreeVMS is nowhere near ready and seems to have stalled.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 09:56:02 »
I have not tried it, but the weirdest alternative operating system might be TempleOS. Made by former atheist with former mental health issues who found God when he was hospitalised.... It has a biblical theme.
One aspect of it that I find interesting is that everything is available and hackable. You have all the source code available right there and you can update it almost on the fly. Everything is written in a "HolyC" with hyperlinks and images.

Hahaha! This is the most bizarre operating system / backstory I've ever read about.  Even if those reading this post are not interested in installing it - it's definitely worth the trip to that website.

Can you describe your experiences with it?  (ie: Does it ever make you wish you were in Linux/Windows?)

VMS - I user to have some VAXen running VMS.  When they went, I looked into the free alternatives, such as OpenVMS and FreeVMS.  OpenVMS you have to sign up with HP (current owners) and register for a hobbyist install.  CBF.  FreeVMS is nowhere near ready and seems to have stalled.

I know nothing about VMS so thanks for that.  This looks very intriguing though I don't know what I would use it for yet I still feel drawn to it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 10:07:40 by dante »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 11:55:33 »
Only Ubuntu and I hate it, it's awful and unintuitive and everything is a huge pain in the ass to set up or change. Sure you have more control, but at the cost of time spent learning and breaking **** to figure it out.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 20:58:33 »

Can you describe your experiences with it?  (ie: Does it ever make you wish you were in Linux/Windows?)
Updates are fraught with danger, the system may no longer boot, your video card may no longer be supported, etc… However, once setup and running well, if you don’t mess with it, you can’t tell it from a real Mac other than it usually costing less.

Other downsides…
Messenger can be a pain to get working if you need it (I don’t), hardware support is abysmal (Giagbite and Intel!), and something even Mac users are unaware of, is that MacOS doesn’t scale well. A system with a 2nd gen I5 runs about the same as a 6th gen I7, and I don't mean that in a good way. They can also be hell to get running and each generation brings new changes that can almost feel like starting over again each time you make a major change (OS, hardware or even a simple Bios update). Another thing is that Apple loves breaking things, your firewall that ran fine on El Capitan, will probably no longer work on Sierra without an update. Yes, this happens on Windows sometimes, but on Mac it's a common occurrence.

Personally,
I prefer Linux (I hate Windows at this point), but my laptop (a max'd out 11in Macbook Air, the pc industry has nothing that compares) really prefers Mac and I hate having to maintain two systems. Mac also allows me to use Parallels, which allows me to run two operating systems at once (not virtualized!), which is great if you need CAD software because CAD support on Mac and Linux is atrocious. It's also good since 3d printer support is actually worse than Cad support on Mac.

I'm actually working on a multi-part write up on my experiences with various systems, I just need to finish it and figure out what I want to do with it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 23:34:58 »
I'm actually working on a multi-part write up on my experiences with various systems, I just need to finish it and figure out what I want to do with it.

Why not post it all on here ?

Good to hear from someone that can clearly explain what type of operating systems they like to use.  Usually you'll get those so far up their own egos that they all refuse to let anyone else know what it's truly like to use certain OS's so they are happy to be by themselves, isolated from everyone.

Since this is suppose to be some kind of "Community" of like mined people who have an interest here then why not share it.  No one should deride anyone's experience because all it does is isolate everyone from what could be a better OS compared to the disaster known as Redmond Central.  I for one would welcome any input in relation to a common users experience with certain operating systems  :thumb: .

It may even generate a real interest to install and use it upon their current PC hardware.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 23:37:59 by Elrick »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 00:02:52 »

Why not post it all on here ?

Good to hear from someone that can clearly explain what type of operating systems they like to use.  Usually you'll get those so far up their own egos that they all refuse to let anyone else know what it's truly like to use certain OS's so they are happy to be by themselves, isolated from everyone.

Since this is suppose to be some kind of "Community" of like mined people who have an interest here then why not share it.  No one should deride anyone's experience because all it does is isolate everyone from what could be a better OS compared to the disaster known as Redmond Central.  I for one would welcome any input in relation to a common users experience with certain operating systems  :thumb: .

It may even generate a real interest to install and use it upon their current PC hardware.
I wish it were that simple.
It's a switchers guide and the current revision is 17 pages and 19,000 words long, that doesn't translate well into a chat forum and I'm not sure how well members or admins will like the idea of such a large multi-part series being posted. It still could use another going over, which will probably increase its length again, as such, I'll worry more about where it goes as it gets closer to me being happy with it.

So far it covers the differences, misconceptions, and idiosyncrasies of Mac, Linux, Windows and Hackintosh, thoughts and opinions on each, performance info, annoyances you will encounter (and how to deal with them), how to make your computing OS independent as well as where and how to back up/prepare for it, and finally a section just for people switching to Linux, overview, basics, distros and how to optimize it a a bit. I've been asked to also include a Hackintosh basics section, but I'm not sure on that yet, but I figure that will add another 3 pages and 2000 words, if not more (Hackintosh are complex to build).

Unfortunately, as it grows, I'm less and less convinced it belongs on GH.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 00:55:37 »
mess around...

BeOS was freakin amazing and way ahead of its time... shame that haiku hasn't picked up the pace.
minuet is ok, but it is kind of its own little thing.
riscos, and the other i have not tried.
there are a ton more out there too...
i've probably used most of them at some point in time.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 01:58:32 »
Haiku, yea.

Wish it could mature to the point it can be a decent OS replacement for basic things. Gives me nostalgia vibes.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 05:21:19 »
Unfortunately, as it grows, I'm less and less convinced it belongs on GH.

Compared to the current load of SH1TE being published on this website, the Admins should cheer you on for doing this.  YES, this is a keyboard website devoted to the Art of Keyboard Felching forever more but it gets boring beyond words, as the very same issues keep on constantly being re-hashed over and over again, into an insipid, circle-jerk reaction that never stops.

Your conclusions on various Operating Systems is still relevant because guess what, WE ALL use a keyboard to input data with but it goes into various operating systems.  Without the operating system, you have no keyboards unless you want to turn back time to traditional typewriters, requiring carbon paper to duplicate your work, which this website is not about.

I would find it completely ignorant of any Admin trying to prevent you from doing this because you actually are doing a job that many here on this website are completely ignorant of, so having some decent info compacted down into something that is digestible would be a huge service for all newbies and even for us older tossers.

Never try to put down your efforts here because in real life you have that being applied within your daily life but this place should be a haven for people who want to share their indepth knowledge about everything so please do it.  Any Admin that says no, desperately needs a splintered broom stick handle inserted harshly where the sun doesn't shine.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 July 2017, 05:24:27 by Elrick »

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 06:20:59 »
you could always just link it or something.
i've got a boatload of older systems that use a propriety OS.
and its always fun playing with OS alternatives.
but it is also sad when you invest a lot of time into one and it becomes defunct.

just another page for nostalgia i guess.

Offline dodgeyhack

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 08:52:24 »

Updates are fraught with danger, the system may no longer boot, your video card may no longer be supported, etc… However, once setup and running well, if you don’t mess with it, you can’t tell it from a real Mac other than it usually costing less.

Yeah, I had a similar experience around 10 years ago. It was great for a couple of years. Had a super cheap Dell laptop that had similar hardware to one of the Macs at the time so it was easy to set up. But Apple wins eventually. I couldn't do something with my iPhone (sync, activate, can't remember?) without updating iTunes, couldn't update ITunes without updating the OS, and updating the OS broke wifi support or something like that, so I switched to Linux on that laptop until it died. Having said that, MacOS is my OS of choice in terms of usability. It has decent software support with a proper fully integrated command line environment.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 21:12:18 »

Personally,
I prefer Linux (I hate Windows at this point), but my laptop (a max'd out 11in Macbook Air, the pc industry has nothing that compares) really prefers Mac and I hate having to maintain two systems. Mac also allows me to use Parallels, which allows me to run two operating systems at once (not virtualized!), which is great if you need CAD software because CAD support on Mac and Linux is atrocious. It's also good since 3d printer support is actually worse than Cad support on Mac.

I bought a Thinkpad so I could dual boot Windows and Linux, and use Windows when it would work better for certain apps and purposes (Skype, touch screen activities, gaming).  But I accidentally deleted the Windows boot partition, didn't bother with figuring out how to fix it, and just overwrote the whole drive with Linux.

The only thing that I'm missing the superior touch screen capabilities of Windows 10.  Besides that, Linux is working just fine.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 21:57:40 »
funny you mention the hackintosh and old dell laptop thing. because it is almost identical hardware. dont tell any mac users about their over priced garbage though..

Offline mrduul

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 21:40:01 »
anyone try tails?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 22:52:49 »

But who haz the time..

(Attachment Link)
Some people make time for their hobbies. :D
I work, but I've got time for those as well. The wifey's pretty understanding.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 01:56:22 »

But who haz the time..

(Attachment Link)

2 weeks later,   SBJ: " Guys, the wife divorced me after I purchased my 26th keybaord, it's convenient in that now I haz time for even m0ar keybaords ."

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 03:35:00 »

But who haz the time..

(Attachment Link)

2 weeks later,   SBJ: " Guys, the wife divorced me after I purchased my 26th keybaord, it's convenient in that now I haz time for even m0ar keybaords ."
She even lets me use clicky keyboards. :eek:
Although it would be convenient. Unfortunately, I didn't find this hobby before I found her, haha.