Author Topic: OnePlus One discussion  (Read 30799 times)

Offline skuko

Re: OnePlus One discussion
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 02:48:52 »
got 3 invitations in the mail (completely forgot that i even registered on the oneplus forum). gave one away and ordered 2 (one for a colleague). pretty excited to get them :)

Offline Glissant

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 03:18:30 »
Woooow! This phone feels incredibly different in hand. I was a little worried it would be too big, but it's just deliciously wonderful to handle.
The build quality is strangely a lot higher than expected for the price to be honest. It feels a lot better than the SGS5 in my opinion.

I'm already running Paranoid Android 4.5 Alpha 3. Looking forward to playing with it for a bit. I might just go back to CM 11s as that's what they "want" us to run on it, but I won't be sure until I've tested the phone out for a while.

Congratulations to everyone that gets this phone!

Edit: The way they designed the screen is really beautiful. So far I have to say it's worth every penny and second it took for this to become a reality.

I put up a little gallery of shots I took, but some are out of focus because I wanted to get my hands on the phone ;)

(Some of the images are more horrible than others. I blame the potato.)

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:07:29 by Glissant »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:19:54 »
Got mine, as well. Coming from a Nexus 4...this thing is HUGE!!

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:26:46 »
It's got a clicky keyboard   ;D ;D

I went with a pre-paid month with T-Mobile to try out their service.   So far I find the phone impressive, even though I'm so used to the iPhone 5. 

Screen is really nice and the phone just screams quality.   

Offline FLmassive

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:04:04 »
Anyone with an extra invite? please PM me Thanks ;D

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:05:57 »
It's got a clicky keyboard   ;D ;D

I went with a pre-paid month with T-Mobile to try out their service.   So far I find the phone impressive, even though I'm so used to the iPhone 5. 

Screen is really nice and the phone just screams quality.

It looks like a stellar phone.  I'd love to get my hands on an invite someday.  I'm not too crazy about T-Mo on the east coast; used it for 3-4 years and had spotty coverage at best from Georgia to Massachusetts

Offline Glissant

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 15:36:39 »
Now that I've spent some time with the phone I can honestly say that I love the experience a lot. It's a large phone, but because it's not as wide as the note series there really isn't a problem handling it for me.
I haven't had any issues that weren't self made yet, and that makes me really happy.

Here's a picture of the amount of yellow "band" I have at the bottom. It's hardly noticeable, and it doesn't bother me at all.
72967-0

I did have a slight issue with the device charging extremely slowly (about 10 hours for full charge from 10%), but I found out that it was because of the cable I used. Apparently there is a difference in the way the cables are made, and the included cable is made in the right way, so the device charges super quickly.

This is what my phone is setup to look like now. I'm still looking for a theme that goes with this look, but haven't found a red accented Android L theme yet.
72969-1

Can't wait for them to release some styleswap covers though. I think this phone will look sick with a wood or bamboo cover.

Offline Lingj

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 00:56:38 »
Well I just caved and bought an invite. You can find invites on Ebay for like $20 now. Needed to get a new phone ASAP cause my current phones microphone was broken.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 21:54:52 »
I'd be interested in an invite if anyone else here has an extra. I wouldn't buy or sell one, personally.

Offline theeattre

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 01:13:06 »
if anyone has a spare invite, would love to get this as my phone just died (battery'splode).

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 10:21:21 »
Anyone has invite to spare? My sister wants Samsung Galaxy S5 and I want her to reconsider and save some money.

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Glissant

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 11:17:15 »
I just got the green protective case (http://oneplus.net/oneplus-one-protective-case).
Only problem is that it started to show a stress crack in a couple of the corners after putting it on and taking it off two times. Not exactly what you expect from a case.
The color is extremely nice and vibrant though.

Offline Lingj

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:08:36 »
I just got the green protective case (http://oneplus.net/oneplus-one-protective-case).
Only problem is that it started to show a stress crack in a couple of the corners after putting it on and taking it off two times. Not exactly what you expect from a case.

How were you able to get the case when it says coming soon?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:28:52 »
This looks really fun.
As a nexus only user I must say ... Good for this company and cyanogenmod!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:55:23 »

How were you able to get the case when it says coming soon?
Maybe... it was all a dream!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 22:01:48 »

Especially when it says
Thin Skin: Being only 2 millimetres thin, you will barely notice your One having it. The OnePlus One protective case is easily bendable and flexible in all different ways, almost uncrackable.

Hard and Sturdy: Made of high quality PC, the OnePlus One protective case distributes potential impact on your One throughout the whole surface of the cover, providing protection for your One from the most sudden falls, or just an unforeseen bump. Treated with a hard finish, the shell itself is resistant to cracks and scratches.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:03:23 »
Lingj, it was available for a short period of time a day or two after I ordered my Oneplus One. Another thing I'm noticing is that it (the case) doesn't seem to fit perfectly. It's slightly too small or something. It just doesn't reach over the lip of the bezel all the way on the bottom part of the case. What I'm saying is that it fits well on top, but on bottom it doesn't fit too well. It's also on the bottom that the case is showing stress fractures on the corners.
Can't really recommend the case to anyone, but it might just be my case being a shoddy patch. I don't really use cases anyway, so it really isn't bothering me. Can't wait for the styleswap covers!

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 07:24:11 »
Anyone has invite to spare? My sister wants Samsung Galaxy S5 and I want her to reconsider and save some money.
Well, went and bought one invite for 30€. I'll see how my sister likes this and I'll consider buying one myself if I receive more invites to my account someday.

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 07:54:05 »
If anybody has a spare invite for either version I would be very grateful, showed this phone to my girlfriend and now she desperately wants one.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 05:37:42 »
Hi guys. I'm back with an invite. Pm me ASAP. I think it ends in about 12hrs or so.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 01:33:25 »
I have one last invite available.pls PM me. I am looking for things in return, just offerme, I will most likely accept.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 01:34:38 »
Dude stop spamming. You already have a sale thread
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 01:42:05 »
It seems the op locked the thread, he asked me to change and add what I wanted in return. Changed but he relocated it again, had wanted to post the amount of time left for the invite.  :(

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 01:57:10 »
These phones look nice. I have a weird issue with my s3 where the wifi won't turn on. I have tried resetting it to stock and about 5 custom roms, but can never get it to work. Sometimes it will work for a little bit after i turn it on, but then stop working 5min later. It is a really weird issue, and as a broke student without a data plan, my smartphone has been reduced to a phone. I think I will have to keep my eye on these for the future.  ^-^

Offline de_milk

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 01:57:25 »
I have one last invite available.pls PM me. I am looking for things in return, just offerme, I will most likely accept.
PM'd, I really want one of these :p

Offline Glissant

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 03:37:42 »
It seems the op locked the thread, he asked me to change and add what I wanted in return. Changed but he relocated it again, had wanted to post the amount of time left for the invite.  :(

That makes no sense what-so-ever.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 03:40:10 »
I meant he relocked it again. Typing error. He asked me to add what I wanted in return instead of just saying: offer me something in return. So I added I wanted gas mask keycaps but after changing, it was locked again.

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 09:36:50 »
No more invites.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 21:14:28 »
I have two invites. I would much rather give them to one of you lovely keyboard enthusiasts than a random person on reddit, so the first two to reply here will get an invite.
You must be able to buy the phone now, and you have to be from one of these countries (or be able to proxy the phone of course)

United States
Sweden
Denmark
Netherlands
United Kingdom
Spain
Germany
France
Italy
Finland
Belgium
Austria
Canada
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Portugal

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 21:46:58 »
I have two invites. I would much rather give them to one of you lovely keyboard enthusiasts than a random person on reddit, so the first two to reply here will get an invite.
You must be able to buy the phone now, and you have to be from one of these countries (or be able to proxy the phone of course)

United States
Sweden
Denmark
Netherlands
United Kingdom
Spain
Germany
France
Italy
Finland
Belgium
Austria
Canada
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Portugal

I would be interested in an invite (US), and any invites I happen to get afterwards I'll happily give away in this thread.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 22:47:20 »

United States
Sweden
Denmark
Netherlands
United Kingdom
Spain
Germany
France
Italy
Finland
Belgium
Austria
Canada
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Portugal
I would love an invite. :)

Offline Glissant

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 22:49:55 »
Alright. That will be it if Swill uses the invite I am about to send him :).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 13:36:53 »
Alright. That will be it if Swill uses the invite I am about to send him :).

Ordered!!!  :)  Thanks Glissant, looking forward to this phone. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:38:55 »
What is so special about this phone that warrants a referral to be able to buy it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:41:34 »
What is so special about this phone that warrants a referral to be able to buy it?

the referral system is part of the marketing

but the phone itself has specs that cost more from other vendors.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:42:07 »

It's mostly to build hype, but also so they don't get overrun with orders as a budding startup I suppose.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:47:10 »
It's £269 in the UK for the 64GB version.
Do you think it's worth it if I could sell my iPhone 4S and my Nexus 4 to get this device ?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 20:49:41 »
I see, so it's basically a small manufacturer proving you can build and sell a phone for $300 at smaller quantities that can do the same things as a $500 phone from larger manufacturers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 21:42:15 »
I see, so it's basically a small manufacturer proving you can build and sell a phone for $300 at smaller quantities that can do the same things as a $500 phone from larger manufacturers.

It's like... the QFR of phones..

Offline Glissant

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 23:00:54 »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 00:08:14 »

Show Image

Unlike the QFR it is actually the quality of a Filco.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 03:08:00 »

Show Image

Unlike the QFR it is actually the quality of a Filco.

if you want to believe that.. sure... it's not like these things need any durability beyond 2 years anyway due to obsolescence....  so whatever may or may not be true, is mostly irrelevant..

Let's not argue..

Offline Glissant

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 07:42:53 »
The Oneplus is sold at cost, so that just about means that it costs as much as the iPhones to manufacture, purely based on the internals. In fact the price of manufacturing a "flagship"-phone is just about the same across the board if you look at internal components as the only factor. And I'm sure using a little more metal in the construction isn't worth even $50 in production costs per phone.
What it really comes down to isn't the cost of the components itself, but everything that helps sell the phone.

So, what makes anybody in this thread think that the Oneplus One is more cheaply made than any other smartphone with the generation components?
Is it the plastic construction compared to glass and aluminium on other flagship devices?

For me I think they cut a major corner on either back-lighting the screen or the screen itself. Don't get me wrong; the screen is clear and crisp. But the damned yellowing at the bottom of the screen is an issue I wish they had found before going into production.
Thankfully I am glad to pay such a small price to be part of the beta testing of Oneplus' "first" device. I highly doubt they will be able to do it the same second time around, but I guess we will see next year.

All that being said. I wish I had bought an LG G3 instead because of how tall the Oneplus is. And I really enjoy the bezels and back buttons on the LG G3.
Oh welllllll

Edit: Oops remembered to add something.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 07:52:57 by Glissant »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 12:28:58 »
The Oneplus is sold at cost, so that just about means that it costs as much as the iPhones to manufacture, purely based on the internals. In fact the price of manufacturing a "flagship"-phone is just about the same across the board if you look at internal components as the only factor. And I'm sure using a little more metal in the construction isn't worth even $50 in production costs per phone.
What it really comes down to isn't the cost of the components itself, but everything that helps sell the phone.

So, what makes anybody in this thread think that the Oneplus One is more cheaply made than any other smartphone with the generation components?
Is it the plastic construction compared to glass and aluminium on other flagship devices?

For me I think they cut a major corner on either back-lighting the screen or the screen itself. Don't get me wrong; the screen is clear and crisp. But the damned yellowing at the bottom of the screen is an issue I wish they had found before going into production.
Thankfully I am glad to pay such a small price to be part of the beta testing of Oneplus' "first" device. I highly doubt they will be able to do it the same second time around, but I guess we will see next year.

All that being said. I wish I had bought an LG G3 instead because of how tall the Oneplus is. And I really enjoy the bezels and back buttons on the LG G3.
Oh welllllll

Edit: Oops remembered to add something.

THe screen and backlit is all one assembly.. so if there were any issues.. that's directly the panel manufacturer's fault or deficiency..

I wouldn't get the g3... the note4 is probably the way to go..

factoring in resell value..  which is a big deal for phones.. not so much on laptops..

Offline Glissant

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 13:22:48 »
The panel that JDI made for the Oneplus have the LEDs closer to the edges than on most other phones with similar panels (according to Oneplus' own statements). Which could cause the screen to seem a little warmer nearer the edge. It really doesn't explain why some phones have the yellow band at the bottom, and others don't. But since the panels were made in different factories I am sure that's one reason.

I wouldn't get the Note 4. I have no need for a stylus. And I hate touchwiz, so I might as well get a phone that I don't have to change the firmware on to enjoy fully.

Resell value has no bearing on my cell phone purchases these days. The phones that I replace go to family members.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 12:22:44 »
So did anyone here get in on the pre orders today? I ordered mine and it showed a 2 week shipping estimate  :-X

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 12:25:44 »
So did anyone here get in on the pre orders today? I ordered mine and it showed a 2 week shipping estimate  :-X

Got 1 week shipping on mine I think. Gotta check it later but I can navigate to the orders page at the moment. :(
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 14:23:32 »
I'm getting a used one from a friend for US$300 in a few days.  I'm exited :D
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 16:37:55 »
Phone is a good value at 1.5 times the price.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 18:12:21 »
Yay, it's updated.

About This Order:
Order Information
Order Date: October 27, 2014

ESTIMATED DELIVERY TIME
Less than 1 week

:) :)