Author Topic: Gaming on a thumb trackball, anyone got any pointers.  (Read 6665 times)

Offline supamesican

Gaming on a thumb trackball, anyone got any pointers.
« on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 14:46:43 »
Basically after using a mouse day in and day out for the past 22 years I'm starting to get wrist issues. Good thing is that trackballs make it okay so it doesnt hurt to use a computer. I got a used MS trackball optical, works well enough for general computer stuff, but gaming is taking some getting used to. Anyone use thumb trackball to game on? If so what did you need to do to get used to it and basically "git gud"?

EDIT: Also is there a way to lubricate the ball? It doesn't roll as smoothly or as long as the m570 I use at work, I've heard maybe barrings need to be replaced should I just say screw it and do that?
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 September 2016, 15:11:47 by supamesican »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Gaming on a thumb trackball, anyone got any pointers.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 September 2016, 09:41:10 »
I have a slightly different trackball (logitech marble fingertip/corded) but I noticed that the well where the ball sits has a thin line of flashing from when the plastic was injected into the mold I guess. I took a razor blade and scraped that off. Seemed to help a little. Sometimes I can't get the ball to roll smoothly (even after cleaning it) so I use a very thin layer of 'Dry Skin Therapy' lotion to help grease the wheel about once a week.

Offline TomBodet

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 11:34:32 »
I started gaming on a Logitech Marbleman+ around '99.  It took a little work to get used to but once dialed in I could do 90/180 turns very easily.  Once those died I went looking for replacement and tried the MS.  The angle of how the ball was situated was messing with me.  Not sure if I'm explaining this right but how I was used to using it, I found myself constantly pulling the ball partially out of the socket so it didn't register or glide.  I went to the wired 570 (or whatever the predecessor was called) and it worked better for me.  I still miss the giant-ness of the Marbleman+; it was comfortable and just worked plus the extra room to let your middle finger be the scroller and ring to handle right button.  I used the wireless 570 for a while then had to quit it due to over-exerting.  I'm a mess ATM and don't game anymore.

The ball gets 'gummy' after a while for me due to skin/gunk buildup around the glide points.  After pulling the ball out, cleaning the socket and ball well with iso would usually smooth things up.  I never put anything in there to lube.

If you have acceleration turned on that might be screwing with you.  I know it throws me way off since there's no consistency to motions.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 20:35:29 »
the marbleman looked so cool Im sad they are gone, this looks similar, but my 570 is okay for now. But I may just end up using it for rts and non shooters and general computing and a mouse mouse for shooters

https://www.amazon.com/SANWA-SUPPLY-Trackball-Mouse-MA-TB39R/dp/B0042UINCG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1473298343&sr=8-9&keywords=thumb+trackball

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 05:44:51 »
Slower direction changes..  So the play path will be much more like on the console controller, where you minimize camera aim, and maximize strafe movements..

This fundamentally makes you more predictable and move more in straight lines  (playing an FPS).

But, I mean..  it's not like you're uber 1337 g4m3rpr0,   so... heck, why not..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 07:25:18 »
Nah, I can flick a 180 with my trackball in an FPS faster than you can flick a 180 at 200dpi or whatever. It's just not as consistent because it gums up every so often.

Offline Skywalker

• INFP
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 12:13:04 »
Got any "pointers" haha. Puns.  :p

I use a Trackman Marble at work and home for everyday computer stuff, and bust out the M570 for gaming. But I don't generally play games that require quick and precise aiming. That being said, I found it very comfortable for Civilization V, and after some getting used to, Minecraft. I think you would notice the biggest difference when you are playing a first-person game. I played a lot of Minecraft and at first I thought "there is no way I will ever be able to use my thumb to look around with any sort of precision". But after about a month of playing on and off, your thumb gets used to the movement and acceleration of the trackball. Now I can play pretty much any game with it. Haven't used a mouse in almost a year!

Edit: I read something that told me to pop out the ball and rub it on my forehead. Apparently forehead grease is a good lubricant? That's slightly too gross for me to do, but maybe it works? My go-to lubricant is WD-40. But something to keep in mind is whatever you lubricate the ball with is going to get all over your hand from using it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 12:16:11 by Skywalker »
WASD V2 - MX Browns | Topre Realforce 87UB 45g

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 13:38:44 »
This is why I stick to a thin layer of petro based lotion. Dry skin therapy seems to work the best for me so far.

I've tried a bunch of things but never WD-40.. you're joking right? :))

Offline Skywalker

• INFP
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 14:03:58 »
This is why I stick to a thin layer of petro based lotion. Dry skin therapy seems to work the best for me so far.

I've tried a bunch of things but never WD-40.. you're joking right? :))

Hahaha.. I probably wouldn't on a trackball. But generally that's what I use for most other things. I think I would totally use it if it wasn't going to get all over my hands from touching the ball.
WASD V2 - MX Browns | Topre Realforce 87UB 45g

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 12:02:37 »
logitech's marble balls.
hi.