Author Topic: Arudino Project - Social Media Controlled RGBLED  (Read 3374 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Arudino Project - Social Media Controlled RGBLED
« on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:19:23 »
Ok so i got this CRAZY idea after visiting a local Game Stop. Sitting on the counter was a color changing RGB LED desk lap in the shape of a potion. It got me thinking. for the 45$ they want for that thing i bet i could make one that is WAY more functional.... damn it brain why can't you just shut up for once.... anyway so the idea is instead of having a desk accessory that does absolutely nothing but change color it will do that (slowly fade cycle different colors) BUT when i get a tweet, FB notification, or instagram it will flash at least for a moment a different color, or something similar.

So i pick up a cheap wifi Arduino compatible micro controller off amazon, having a neopixel from another project that i'm not messing with anymore. The thing arrived today so i'll start the programming and tinkering with it when i get home. i plan on making the entire code base opensource (with the exception of my wifi password) if anyone wants to contribute some time into this please let me know and i'll get the github created and you added or what not. in theory it should be relatively easy but i have only done alittle Arudino IDE coding and that was awhile ago.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/imro/  + = awesome?

on another note i'm not buying the silly expensive desk lamp to mod it. i'm building the internal components and i'll make something similar or make my own potion bottle from items found at the local crafts store.   :thumb:
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline dustigroove

Re: Arudino Project - Social Media Controlled RGBLED
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:25:53 »
Very cool... interested to see this take shape. I can't code for shyte,  but I'll try to beta test if I have time.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:26:31 »
this is kind of neat.  It's essentially the new Das Keyboard without being a huge security risk.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:27:14 »
Very cool... interested to see this take shape. I can't code for shyte,  but I'll try to beta test if I have time.

cool. yeah the chip is really cheap only like 10$ so we'll see if is garbage or not. figured for a little side thing to play with i wasn't going to spend more money than the desk lamp was worth LOL.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:28:29 »
this is kind of neat.  It's essentially the new Das Keyboard without being a huge security risk.

well kind of. you have to hard code your wireless SSID and password into the programming so there are security concerns however if you just do MAC filtering with your home network then there are ways to make it less of a risk. but i live out in the country and no one lives around me so i really dont care LOL
Projects

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:29:33 »

well kind of. you have to hard code your wireless SSID and password into the programming so there are security concerns however if you just do MAC filtering with your home network then there are ways to make it less of a risk. but i live out in the country and no one lives around me so i really dont care LOL
I meant more along the lines of not having your keyboard have a built in key logger XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:29:58 »

I meant more along the lines of not having your keyboard have a built in key logger XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well yeah there's that LOL

Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:50:12 »
It's just going to change colors when I get social alerts. Other than that just be a desk accessory

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 16:06:34 »
Projects

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 16:12:05 »
It's just going to change colors when I get social alerts. Other than that just be a desk accessory

sent from my chess board

Oh.. ok.. like the led on the phone, but external ..

Hrrrrmmmm..  what wattage of LED is needed for daylight visibility.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 16:41:43 »
Not sure but most of the neopixels have coding to dim them. They are super bright

sent from my chess board

Projects