Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4212817 times)

Offline iri

Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #29400 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 15:10:28 »
Does this sound too good to be true to anyone else
Yes.
And yet I've just walked out with a signed letter and been wished well by the owner of the company :confused:
Only you know why they're so afraid of you :p What are you hiding, suicidal_orange?  :))
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29401 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 02:28:59 »
Looks like my previous employer that was going to crazy 12 hour shifts 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off [repeat] has given up on the nights and is just doing long days.  Still lose half of all weekends but a 37% pay increase to work less hours at a place that doesn't drive me insane is tempting - if only I trusted them not to change it in a month or six.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29402 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 10:10:56 »
It sounds like you are not the only one that they are driving away.
Maybe they are getting real.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29403 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 15:03:14 »
It sounds like you are not the only one that they are driving away.
Maybe they are getting real.
When I left last year they only had 4 people and wanted 2 shifts of 4 but they still advertised as if it was happening/had happened for months (I stopped being interested enough to check around Christmas)  It would have been the fifth change of hours in three years so it lasting 10 months was unlikely!

I just unboxed a pair of shoes, the second of two backup pairs bought once I'd worn the first pair for a year and loved them.  I guess the first two pairs lasted years so it will be a while but I'm still bothered that I'll need to find replacements having been spoiled by as close to perfection as an off-the-shelf shoe could provide.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29404 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 17:55:30 »
The last of us (2013),  this is boring as heck,   how the hell do people play this..  and people PREORDER the remake, seriously?

It's so generic, a mashup of book of eli (2010), children of men (2006), i am legend (2007)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29405 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 23:16:50 »
Watched 5 disappointing movies in a row.   dark thoughts/ Tp4 should killz himself.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29406 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 00:00:06 »
I liked Children Of Men /shrug

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #29407 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 01:52:18 »
My neck pains coming back, nooooooo :(

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #29409 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 03:40:46 »
pillow height is critical. [/size][/color]

I had a compression of the cervical during an incident, since I have chronic pain  :(

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29410 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 08:29:05 »
As I'm supposedly getting paid to sit home for weeks as long as I don't get another job I'm looking for stuff to do.  Welding sounds fun - are there any ways to learn it now?  On a well known recruiting site there are 4 links to welding courses, all at 95% or more off the standard price.  Sounds great, except they're all online.  Because everyone who doesn't know how to weld has a welder, safety gear and random bits of metal to practice on just just lying around...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29411 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 09:02:33 »
I would look to see if there's a makerspace in your area.
The local makerspace here in Stockholm had a welding room, and only a one-hour introductory course to handle the welders and plasma-cutter safely. My first weld was awful. But it was possible to rent the room/equipment for practice.
That is not something that you could put on your resume, to get you hired as a welder though.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29412 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 09:19:28 »
^ Sounds great - if it's really noisy (or has some other annoying thing you can't know having never done it) no point paying to get a piece of paper.  I found a makerspace in a nearby town but they're "planning to buy a 3D printer" - seems Sweden is a little ahead of my retirement oriented part of the UK.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29413 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 10:13:41 »
PSU fan making grrrrrrr noises again.. SIgh..................... every year...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29414 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 13:03:00 »
omg this is so dumb, tp4 broke out dat go board cuz tv-show,  following a tutorial on utube, concentrating,  eatn' oreos,  inadvertently put a go piece in mouth, kind of tasted it for a few seconds, and just swallowed it.  30 seconds later, realizing what he's done.. 

probably gon' die now..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29415 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 13:48:51 »

probably gon' die

What would we do for entertainment around here?

Better yack it up soon.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #29417 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 02:12:14 »
Clients who change their minds like shirts... It's hell as a graphic designer. I'm going crazy, I want to do a Michael Douglas like in the movie Falling Down!

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #29419 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 07:38:21 »
gotta charge by the hour

I do it but god, it's stupid and just a waste of time...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29420 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 08:37:46 »
gotta charge by the hour

I do it but god, it's stupid and just a waste of time...

Yup...  imagine your life is making pizzas, you convert your LIFE into PIZZAs.  but then the Client, instead of eating them,  he throws the pizzas in the river.   

That's the SAME AS THROWING YOUR LIFE AWAY..  He's killing you with his stupidity.

2022 Plutocracy, more/less facism, but welll.... 

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #29421 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 10:19:13 »
Oh yeah, finally validated, after more than then versions, one day before final deadline...

Offline iri

« Reply #29422 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 05:06:45 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29423 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 06:55:47 »
Should be looking for a job, instead I found myself looking for a knife to replace the one that finally died on literally my last day at my old job (fancy Stanley blade holder, lost a spring so it rattles in addition to not locking which it's not done for weeks)  From knives to knife steel to knife making - I now know that powdered steels are great, unnecessary and a nightmare to sharpen, cheap gas forges are perfectly adequate and anvils are surprisingly inexpensive even to ship.  Could have everything needed here by next weekend while I'm home to accept deliveries.

Or I could look for jobs and be out at interviews.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29424 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 08:05:40 »
that whole you never cut yourself using sharp knives is bull****. plenty of stories from family and friends cutting themselves on their "premo" knives.

TP4 prefer slightly dull knives especially in the kitchen.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29425 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 08:38:39 »
that whole you never cut yourself using sharp knives is bull****.
True, but a sharp knife cuts cleaner so it's less likely to scar and should heal quicker.  Unless there was more flesh to cut so it went significantly deeper...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29426 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 10:23:19 »

you never cut yourself using sharp knives is bull****.

a sharp knife cuts cleaner so it's less likely to scar and should heal quicker.

Idiots. Knife cuts are pure user error.

My father was a doctor and highly skilled tool user, and this was a hot button issue for him (probably because he had to sew so many of them up).

His explanation is that the sharpest knife for any task is always best because you can easily and efficiently perform the job without excess effort.

A dull knife forces you to "wrestle" with the knife and use excess force, all of which increases the likelihood that you will slip and cut yourself. A tool is only as good as the person using it, and any craftsman will affirm that the best tool for the job is always preferable for reason of both safety and efficiency.

My Father's Day tribute to my own father.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29427 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 10:51:04 »
Knife cuts are pure user error.
True, no buts :thumb:

I've had many worse cuts from razor sharp swarf than any minor nick I've taken from a knife but still nothing that required stitches - your father would be proud.  My father's favourite tool was the hammer...
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2022, 11:04:23 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29428 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 10:59:17 »
Knife cuts are pure user error.

I've had many worse cuts from razor sharp swarf than any minor nick I've taken from a knife

There are plenty of hazards waiting for you in the world. I got a cut from an edge burr on metal recently, but my great fear is broken glass.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29429 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 11:42:00 »
Idiots. Knife cuts are pure user error.

My father was a doctor and highly skilled tool user, and this was a hot button issue for him (probably because he had to sew so many of them up).

His explanation is that the sharpest knife for any task is always best because you can easily and efficiently perform the job without excess effort.

A dull knife forces you to "wrestle" with the knife and use excess force, all of which increases the likelihood that you will slip and cut yourself. A tool is only as good as the person using it, and any craftsman will affirm that the best tool for the job is always preferable for reason of both safety and efficiency.

NOT in all circumstances.  Can you guarantee that a person is in the most alert mental state EVERY TIME he uses a knife.   

There is an interplay where the sharpest knife MAY in fact be worse.

No one has perfect focus and infinite endurance.  The sharpest knife may be safer at the BEGINNING of a task, but if that task ran longer,  the sharpest knife may then become more risky to use.

Now let's analyze  eating habits,  WHEN do you cook and eat, when you get tired and hungry, this is NOT the time segment of peak mental fortitude.    An extremely sharp knife here could be more dangerous.

It looks good in a commercial, knife slicing through bone and meat like butter,   THAT could be your finger.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29430 on: Mon, 20 June 2022, 01:12:16 »
Been getting sicker and sicker the past couple days. Watery eyes, scratchy throat, runny nose, and now a fever.
Get text from work saying someone I work closely with has a confirmed case of COVID.
Freaking out all day. Finally test when I get home.

Negative. Just a regular cold.
Definitely masking up the next few weeks, feel like I dodged a bullet.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29432 on: Mon, 20 June 2022, 05:55:27 »
that whole you never cut yourself using sharp knives is bull****. plenty of stories from family and friends cutting themselves on their "premo" knives.

Agreed. You would need super-sharp knives only for cutting raw meat or fish.
A knife that is used only for cutting vegetables doesn't need to be super-sharp, but it shouldn't be dull either.
I like when things are tactile, and to feel what I'm cutting.

A good cook should have different knives for vegetables, meat, fish and bread anyway. If you're (cooking for) a vegetarian, you need fewer knives: all not super-sharp.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29433 on: Mon, 20 June 2022, 07:24:09 »

A good cook should have different knives

I like to cook and I like knives, and I keep them sharp. First 3 from the right are what I use 80% of the time.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29434 on: Mon, 20 June 2022, 16:59:53 »
Well I can tell ya for sure from real world experience, the REAL pros use the 4 year old super dull chipped knives that are rusted at the hilt that the company provides them. It's really more like chopping through bone and meat with the side of a domino, builds character. It is the way.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29435 on: Mon, 20 June 2022, 20:24:46 »
most restaurants are just selling slop, bottom line food, knives don't matter that much. they just need to be sharp enough not to impact efficiency.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #29436 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 03:21:38 »
The last of us (2013),  this is boring as heck,   how the hell do people play this..  and people PREORDER the remake, seriously?

It's so generic, a mashup of book of eli (2010), children of men (2006), i am legend (2007)

Is it really that bad?
I just read they will release it on PC, so was going to try it out.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #29437 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 03:42:05 »

Is it really that bad?
It's a really popular game - I'll admit I never got as far in it as I'd like when it was out on PS3 - so I'll probably just play the remake on PC. Take that tp! :P
I think if you like the genre of game you'll love The Last of Us.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #29438 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 04:20:02 »

Is it really that bad?
It's a really popular game - I'll admit I never got as far in it as I'd like when it was out on PS3 - so I'll probably just play the remake on PC. Take that tp! :P
I think if you like the genre of game you'll love The Last of Us.

Yeah, I saw so many videos people playing and enjoying, I was hoping for a good fun when it finally arrives on PC.
I'll try it anyway :thumb:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29439 on: Mon, 27 June 2022, 07:18:48 »
Still not applied for any jobs, struggling to see past getting paid more to work less, but longer, days.  If my life was never great working a standard week and only having weekends why am I so hesitant to switch?  Because it means I can't commit to doing anything, as just like work I'll be able to do 4 [day]s but then working the next 4.  But if instead of socialising I did something solitary, aided by having extra money, that works?  Except I've always been mainly solitary and life has never been great.  But I never did anything...

Might get a job picking crap off a plastic recycling line - at worst it's another entry on the "don't like this" job list.  But that means working all week so applying/interviewing elsewhere is awkward, while lots of days off is not.

Need to escape logic loops and get some emotion involved, but how?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29440 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 05:01:30 »
Last week's episode of The Orville was dedicated to actress Lisa Banes, who had been killed in a hit-and-run scooter incident.

An idiot on a scooter almost run me over this morning.
Later this morning, I watched another idiot was running  at unsafe speeds (for a scooter) on the highway among cars and buses.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29442 on: Sun, 03 July 2022, 06:55:33 »
My phone earpiece speaker has not worked for 18 months.  I've taken the phone apart to replace the screen in that time, so why have I only thought to buy a replacement speaker today?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #29443 on: Sun, 03 July 2022, 07:01:10 »
on mine it is the microphone that has not worked in 2 years, changed the battery twice and usb port 5 times in that same time frame, still have not bothered ordering a new microphone :) you are not alone in this boat
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29444 on: Sun, 03 July 2022, 07:14:20 »
people think nuvole bianche is real piano music.  bunch of illiterate simps.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29445 on: Sun, 03 July 2022, 08:02:14 »

the microphone that has not worked

phone earpiece speaker has not worked

Masochists or Luddites?

Offline yui

« Reply #29446 on: Sun, 03 July 2022, 09:07:45 »
Masochists or Luddites?
i actually never seen that word (Luddite, masochist also exists in french). the thing is i mostly used a headset with my phone to have my hands free, so the only difference is that i do not have the option not to anymore, does not bother me much.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29447 on: Sun, 03 July 2022, 15:35:24 »
Masochists or Luddites?
Um...  Neither?

I do receive a call most weeks, sometimes I even answer it (if the phone rang reliably I'd answer more often - hopefully it's the same speaker!), if I don't miss a call I won't make one.  When I say I'm asocial I really mean it :blank:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29448 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 13:10:32 »
Last night I said, "I'm going to wake up to news of a mass shooting on the 4th." and it happened. This country really sucks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29449 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 13:19:35 »

This country really sucks.

The people who have been radicalized suck, and those who radicalize them suck exponentially harder.

Nobody has ever explained to me - What is it that they expect to accomplish ?

Can they imagine that anybody will be persuaded towards whatever it is that the killer subscribes to ?