Author Topic: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"  (Read 28676 times)

Offline 1stGenRex

"You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:55:38 »
I used to have a Logitech MX5500, but now I have a Filco Majestouch 2. Someone came in and saw my desk and asked this question, which I thought was kind of funny. While I did really like that keyboard, I don't see myself going back to membrane keyboards if I can avoid it, but I can see why he would ask that question, this thing just looks so unassuming (which is fine by me!).

What comments have you gotten from people that didn't really know any better?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Re: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:07:37 »
"You paid that much and it doesnt even have a LCD!!!?"

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:36:23 »
"Where's the numpad? How do you type numbers?"

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:50:35 »
How do you know what you are typing?!

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:03:47 »
^ x2, plus nobody touch my keyboard (whites plus dvorak).
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 02:11:25 »
lol few weeks back i bought a filco just to "blend" in with the crappy dell oems at my work,
it doesn't scream steal me, while im at tullys ordering a latte :-X

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:12:00 »
lol few weeks back i bought a filco just to "blend" in with the crappy dell oems at my work,
it doesn't scream steal me, while im at tullys ordering a latte :-X

I have hidden my HHKB with Clacks under my desk whilst I am on holiday!

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:20:10 »
Do you have a cleptomanos at work?. that is bad. I only do that when the subcontractors are around. 

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:21:40 »
I don't but I would worry about it whilst away.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:25:07 »
^ I will do exactly the same

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 05:40:18 »
My pure with zinc caps usually gets 'what's this gadget then?'.
No need to hide as I have no permanent desk! Lives in my laptop bag
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 08:27:55 »
Regarding my unicorn vomit board which has rainbow blanks - "How do you type on this??" - Every person I ever see in computer labs.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline stingrae

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:01:24 »
I don't know if I am more or less scared that people actually don't realise how expensive my keyboards are.

Best I've had is why do you like small keyboards? :(...there was something else but I forgot.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:24:52 »
Do you have a cleptomanos at work?. that is bad. I only do that when the subcontractors are around.
At a previous workplace of mine it was the boss that used to walk away with things.

Alice: Where's the Mac we ordered for the xyz project?
Bob: According to the tracking page, it was delivered a week ago. Didn't you get it?
Alice: No. Have you seen it?
Charlie:  I saw the boss pack a Mac into his bag before he left for a "business trip" to Vegas.
Bob: But the boss uses a PC laptop ...
Alice: Who knows about the Mac but us three?
Bob: Uh oh. The boss must have taken the delivery when it arrived. Didn't I tell you three times that you should have made sure to take the delivery yourself?
a week later:
Boss: I had a great time in Vegas. Gambling, parties, old buddies, and women. I gave a Mac to a really cool guy I met in a bar. I don't know what he does, or if he has any money at all, but he seemed really interested in our company when I told him about it. I'm sure that he will invest now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:28:15 by Findecanor »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 09:35:54 »
"Why is it pink?" ^^

In reference to my 87u 55g.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:33:27 »
I got a comment that my white poker looks like its from the dollar store. -_-

usually I find that once somebody actually types something on one of my mechanicals they realize right away. last comment I got was
"holy **** man, this keyboard is nice, it feels expensive as ****!"
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:36:10 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:43:54 »
Most people don't get mechanical keyboards.

The most common thing I hear is "you paid how much??????"
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:47:50 »
Why is there a skull on it? Why are there so few keys?

Offline stingrae

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:07:26 »

lol so true even when I told them the price of the quickfire (£60~) they are a bit freaked out :D.

Sadly so far no one who has touched my boards has gotten the bug, and a programmer friend refuses to believe that a keyboard way over the £25~ membranes he would buy, is something he should consider buying.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:59:22 »
I used to have a bad ass keyboard, then I took an arrow to the knee.  ^-^

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:14:30 »

I'd rather not tell the price of the keyboard when people ask.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:15:56 »

My mom doesn't even ask when I get packages anymore, she just knows they are key caps :D

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:21:01 »
I find that a lot of women seem to really like the Poker, "it's so cute!". Sometimes people do ask where is the rest of the keyboard though.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:23:06 »
I find that a lot of women seem to really like the Poker, "it's so cute!". Sometimes people do ask where is the rest of the keyboard though.

At least they don't say "it's so small" because that hurts :(

Offline Deekin

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:27:30 »
One of my friends said. "Imagine if you invested that kind of money on beer instead, you would need to move to a bigger apartment" lol

Offline f4d3

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:46:36 »
My girl complains I spent over $1000 on keyboards and I rarely spend that much on her. I can't complain how much she spends shopping or else I'll get no happy time.

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:00:57 »
My girl complains I spent over $1000 on keyboards and I rarely spend that much on her. I can't complain how much she spends shopping or else I'll get no happy time.

My wife never complains about my strange hobbies, but then again, she got this as a souvenir from our San Francisco trip

Sometimes, you gotta do stuff like that :P

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:11:42 »

My wife never complains about my strange hobbies, but then again, she got this as a souvenir from our San Francisco trip

Show Image

Sometimes, you gotta do stuff like that :P

$647.00 man bag:
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:13:13 by PointyFox »

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:41:00 »
My boss was standing outside the building smoking a cigarette when he sees me walking in with my keyboard under my arm and asks "Who in the hell carries their keyboard to work?"

Honestly, I get asked a lot more questions and puzzled looks about my electronic cigarette collection. For example, below is a Provari variable voltage mod with Jonboy Lava tank.

Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:02:58 »
My boss was standing outside the building smoking a cigarette when he sees me walking in with my keyboard under my arm and asks "Who in the hell carries their keyboard to work?"

Honestly, I get asked a lot more questions and puzzled looks about my electronic cigarette collection. For example, below is a Provari variable voltage mod with Jonboy Lava tank.

*SNIP*

Never thought I'd run into a fellow Vaper here! I've also got a Provari, but I run mine with a Pyrex tank, usually. And I also have a VModXL :D See what I meant about strange hobbies :P

(This picture is from before I got my Pyrex tanks)
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:05:38 by 1stGenRex »

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:16:24 »
Nice collection... I never thought I'd run into a fellow vaper here, either. I'm m00nshake on ECF as well. About to hit my third year anniversary off analogs. I've got three mods now, a Darwin, a Satin Provari Mini, and a Black Provari w/ 18650 extension like the one you have in the picture. I've got five Jonboy Lava Tanks of different colors and styles, fat and skinny pawns/mings. I vape almost exlusively Ahlusion liquids now. They're the total package as an e-liquid vendor, everything from the packaging to the labels, the glass bottles, the organic flavoring, the superb taste of all of their liquids, there's just the bees knees. Good to meet you here... :)
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:24:37 »
Nice collection... I never thought I'd run into a fellow vaper here, either. I'm m00nshake on ECF as well. About to hit my third year anniversary off analogs. I've got three mods now, a Darwin, a Satin Provari Mini, and a Black Provari w/ 18650 extension like the one you have in the picture. I've got five Jonboy Lava Tanks of different colors and styles, fat and skinny pawns/mings. I vape almost exlusively Ahlusion liquids now. They're the total package as an e-liquid vendor, everything from the packaging to the labels, the glass bottles, the organic flavoring, the superb taste of all of their liquids, there's just the bees knees. Good to meet you here... :)

I hand out mostly on Reddit's /r/ECR (MUCH less drama than ECF, and typically a lot more helpful). I'm almost at the 6 month mark myself. I've never heard of that vendor, I'll have to check them out, although I've taken a break from ordering more stuff, since I've still got quite a bit of juice to go though.

Offline N8N

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:27:50 »
Nobody "gets" any of my keyboards.  I've had a Filco M2 w/ clears @ work for a while now and it never gets a second glance unless someone comments on the RGBs (it's got old school Cherry doubleshots on it now, but whenever my dye subs come in I'm going to switch it up again.)  I got way more comments on my mouse which for a while was a RAT7 until it decided to not play nice with any mouse pad I could find.  My boss occasionally has to type on the Filco (to approve proposals etc.) but has never commented.  Of course he is the only other person in the office with an even remotely decent keyboard, which is a Dell QuietKey.  My one designer is a bit of a peripheral snob as he's tried a couple of my mice (RAT7 and Logitech PMMX, he liked both, ended up getting a similar but less high end Logitech for himself) but even he prefers his new Dell scissor-switch keyboard.  (I guess, in his defense, I would rather type on one of those than on the previous ones we had which were truly awful rubber domes.)  I'd cut him a good deal on something decent, but he has no interest...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:40:21 »
Regarding my unicorn vomit board which has rainbow blanks - "How do you type on this??" - Every person I ever see in computer labs.

i just got my rainbow blanks! on my led ducky and everyone is the same with me. WTF HOW DO YOU TYPE ON THIS????

i tell you what though, its stopped my mum/brother/dad/girlfriend from using my computer LOL

can't wait to post some pics up just need to give it a good clean and set up the 'mini studio" again

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 19:23:52 »
The look at my Dvorak, and say "why did you mess up your keyboard"?

Take a TG3 BL82 into work and say you got something to replace that awful logitech. Backlit = badass. This must be the case :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 21:50:23 »
I got a couple of comments like the OP as I went from an Apple Alunimium keyboard to a Ducky Shine.

With backlighting off, it kinda looks, to the untrained eye, like the Dell rubber domes we have littering the spare desks.

But with the backlighting on everyone's eyes light up (no, not just reflecting the backlighting) and I have had nothing but positive comments.

Even the noise does not seem to bother anyone (MX blue switches), although they are often making more noise than my keyboard anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 22:14:00 »
Re: Ducky Year of the Rabbit (white etched PBTs that more-or-less look like blanks) "How do you see what you're typing? / How do you type on that thing?"

Used to swear by my Microsoft ergonomic 4000s which had much more visual wow factor, although the "How do you type on that thing?" question came up with it sometimes as well.

It seems design has come full circle where now, other than LEDs, the plainer your keyboard looks, the nicer it is.  Even most PBT caps look kind of 'dull / matte' compared to ABS.  I prefer this look, but to the keyboard 'un-enlightened' Shiny = Good.

Also, cool story / thread 1stGenRex  :)
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 22:44:36 »
well when they ask about how much I paid for my hhkb pro 2, I say that paid 20 usd for it ;-) and the skulls came for free

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 23:29:04 »
Come to think of it, my boss mentioned my Poker with RGB looked trendy.
A female colleague said it was cute.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 00:13:20 »
lol I've only got a "that's a shiny keyboard" => points at my das keyboard.  But then it's when they ask me who much I pay for it then they'd be like "why would anyone pay over $100 for keyboard !!!" haha

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 00:18:33 »
I used to get comments about my Das and Filcos, in regards to how much they cost. Now with the Realforce, it's a moment of dumbfounded shock, followed by muttering and shaking of heads as they walk away.

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 00:30:27 »
Does anyone bring their korean custom to work?

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 05:51:40 »
This is almost related to the look I get when I tell people I spent $80 on a keyboard (Unicomp). They're like "why". Oh well.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 22:06:38 »
Get an otaku Keyboard and a trackball mouse and no one will try to show you anything on your PC - you'll always get to "drive". 

Now to figure out how to get them to stop touching the monitor when they need to show me something !!!
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline Larken

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 23:38:39 »
I typically don't divulge the cost of my keyboards any more due to the incredulous looks I get after. Nowadays most comments go "Is that your own keyboard? Looks different." I used to bring a cherry board in to work and the huge-ass casing is the thing that draws attention. I would think that a filco would draw less attention, but I don't have the cash to have a filco both at home and at work (duplicates that is).
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:16:25 »
Now to figure out how to get them to stop touching the monitor when they need to show me something !!!

omfg soooo true. I can't stand this, and EVERYBODY does it

Offline bitshifter1001

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:22:51 »

LOL, nice!  ;D

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: "You used to have a bad ass keyboard, what happened?"
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 10:28:00 »
Does anyone bring their korean custom to work?

I do once in awhile
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline type_dancer

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 11:08:55 »
The only comment I've gotten was "Why the hell do you have a keyboard from the 90's?". An amazing number of people have simply commented," Oh, I have a mechanical, too."
1-20-1993 Model M 51G8572 & Corsair Vengeance K90

Offline Rafen

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 11:23:57 »
I recently just purchased a Poker keyboard about a week ago and when my one buddy saw it he said "When you type on that do you feel like you are going to break it?". I always get the "I can't believe you paid that much for a keyboard. You could get one from dell for like $20." The people I work with are IT people but they are not into keyboards at all so I always try to show them different things and so far no luck but I think one day they might come around.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 11:41:33 »
I have had several comments on my keyboards at work. One lady said "Boy, it sure looks like you're into those modern keyboards!" (sarcastically referring to my Model M).  My boss has also commented on the fact that I seem to have a new keyboard every week (even though I've only ever brought three different keyboards into work).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 12:07:35 »
The people that have commented actually take more notice of the rest that I got from the Beast. They ask me why my palm rest is hard, instead of the gel ones you find @ Fry's.

I've since given up on telling people how much the keyboards cost.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 12:38:54 »
I love gel wrist rests.

I feel lost and disoriented when I go to somebody's computer with no rest at all, and the wooden ones feel SO harsh.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 16:57:41 »
I just use the slab of wood as a rest for my palms between bouts of typing.. Slows me down if i have my wrist on anything.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 17:15:48 »
The people that have commented actually take more notice of the rest that I got from the Beast. They ask me why my palm rest is hard, instead of the gel ones you find @ Fry's.

I've since given up on telling people how much the keyboards cost.

Sweet :D

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 17:24:27 »
I like the way hard wood feels on my wrists...wait...lolwut. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 18:16:56 »
I see what you did there ... palms on the wood indeed!

Offline stingrae

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 06:28:44 »
I have a new Filco...person next to me notices my mousepad that I brought from home for a change... XD

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 06:40:43 »
I have had several comments on my keyboards at work. One lady said "Boy, it sure looks like you're into those modern keyboards!" (sarcastically referring to my Model M).

Actually she might of used them back in the 80's and 90's you should tell her how much they're worth today.  I think she'll have a stroke, since she probably threw it out in the trash in exchange for the new Dell rubbish keyboard that came free with her computer model.

Or maybe she's just brain-dead like so many of her ilk.  ::)

Offline te3kay

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:56:18 »

yea.. lol

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:11:57 »
Referring to an M (or any vintage mech) "Why would you use that old thing?"

Referring to my wife "You want HOW MUCH for a keyboard?"

I also work at a tech shop, and I have to field tech related phone calls from neophytes. One of my less favorites comments is that the customer "Installed the internet", or has the operating system "Microsoft Office"

:/

On the flip side, I got a freind who works at town hall, and his office is totally geared out with the latest tech. Triple IPS monitor setup, little dangly down platform for his tower, servers on the back wall, fancy desk, and a model M hooked up to his 2000 dollar IB 2011 Windows 8 tower with a 400 dollar revodrive X2 in it XD
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:41:17 »

I also work at a tech shop, and I have to field tech related phone calls from neophytes. One of my less favorites comments is that the customer "Installed the internet", or has the operating system "Microsoft Office"

On the flip side, I got a freind who works at town hall, and his office is totally geared out with the latest tech. Triple IPS monitor setup, little dangly down platform for his tower, servers on the back wall, fancy desk, and a model M hooked up to his 2000 dollar IB 2011 Windows 8 tower with a 400 dollar revodrive X2 in it XD

A line I get (providing tech support to everyone at work) often is "My internet is not working".  My response - "My internet works, perhaps there is somethign wrong with yours".
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lanx

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:28:58 »
here's how it goes

"lemme check something real quick" (moves to my computer)
blank stare at my kinesis
moving the hands in some voodoo kind of wax on/wax off motion to see where to put their hands.

"wtf man"

then i point them to my htpc

the blank stare is great.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:37:19 »

I like it when they complain that their loaner computer didn't come with MS office, making it "useless". I took all my notes with pencil and paper, and if I brought a computer to class, I'd take them in notepad. Annotating powerpoints is as overrated as powerpoint is misused and overused. (The loaners do come with libreoffice, and a link on the desktop). Another customer couldn't find the optical drive on her loaner and send it back to get another one. The optical drive was clearly visible on the left. It wasn't even slot loading.
---
One cool part about having Dvorak keycaps (on my TG3 and unicomp, and soon all my other keyboards thanks to Lysol) is that people look at it and are astounded with it. They always ask: What did you do to your computer? (more technical people will say "what did you do to your keyboard") or "why did you mess up your keyboard." etc.

When I worked at the "Cyberdefence Lab" when I was 17, I plugged my 17-year old M into their really expensive computers. It was much more satisfying than their crappy domes.

Offline Xerobasix

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 00:31:20 »
"How do you type without the letters?" is the most common question.  I had a coworker come over once and quiz me by pointing at several keys in succession and asking which each was.  And people, often those who don't even know how to use a tenkey, are always dumbfounded that it's missing.  Like the board is broken without it.
CM Quickfire Rapid - Brown | Blue | Red

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 05:02:52 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:57:06 by davkol »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 07:45:07 »
Somebody, probably Jobs, once said "The Internet IS the computer."

My problem with Apple is that they want a computer to be like an invisible appliance, and to reduce the "user interface" to as close to zero as possible. I was seriously gearing myself up to switch to Apple 5-10 years ago, in some fit of disgust with Microsoft, until I discovered that you can't buy an Apple motherboard.

My computer is like my workbench in the garage, except not as messy. I have a wide variety of tools, and I can tinker, change, add and subtract components at will. I am referring to both hardware and software when I say this.

I would guess that all the people here, in this forum, enjoy a tactile, sensual, physical experience when interacting with their computers, and that probably translates into tinkering with the virtual operations as well.

For many people, that is just not part of the equation, much like "I don't care how an internal combustion engine works, just tell me where to put in the gasoline."

There is another thread called something like "How Elitist Are You?" and we all are that, or we wouldn't be here.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 08:05:19 »
a tactile, sensual, physical experience

But seriously, I completely agree with you point. While I own a Macbook and an iPhone, my desktop is a Windows PC. I agree that Apple is marketing their products to the greater population, and that includes many, many people who are not computer savvy at all. 2-year-olds can use an iPad, as can 90-year-olds who have never grown up with such technologies. All they have to do, literally, is point at something and they're there.

But you'd have to admit that there's some magic in that. It's nice to be able to interact with technology almost without thinking and without realising what you're using is actually a complex piece of equipment. People want to have these services in their lives, without it being obstructive or overly visible.

But I digress. I like that I have a balance - simplicity in the Apple products for my on-the-go items, and something I can tinker with and tailor for home.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 10:35:53 »
Never thought I'd run into a fellow Vaper here!

I do, but i'm a lightweight. I've got a couple of the metro disposables, and i'm trying to convince my wife to let me buy a basic kit (We both smoked before kids, her heavily and me a couple a day)

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 03:32:38 »
Never thought I'd run into a fellow Vaper here!

I do, but i'm a lightweight. I've got a couple of the metro disposables, and i'm trying to convince my wife to let me buy a basic kit (We both smoked before kids, her heavily and me a couple a day)

If you've got questions, or need more info, click on my sig pic. It'll take you to an awesome place where we're more than willing to help out!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 08:16:18 »

So you're saying, you're an anime loving attention wh0re brony. Got it. ;D

Though, this is quite unacceptable since you are male.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 15:52:20 »
My wife now knows how much my HHKB Pro2 was that i bought last week. Man she wont shut up about it.

"Its so ugly"
"Its stupid, why would you pay that much for less keys"

but my favorites are, and i swear to god i am almost 100% in what she actually said here

" i saw you looking at that keyboard site, you should have paid for the cheaper keyboard and got cool looking keys, i bet your jealous of those guys"

"No im not mad you spent that much, im mad because for that money spent i would have expected this awesome huge keyboard with lights and stuff"

-_-

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 15:54:17 »
My wife now knows how much my HHKB Pro2 was that i bought last week. Man she wont shut up about it.

"Its so ugly"

but my favorites are, and i swear to god i am almost 100% in what she actually said here

" i saw you looking at that keyboard site, you should have paid for the cheaper keyboard and got cool looking keys, i bet your jealous of those guys"

"No im not mad you spent that much, im mad because for that money spent i would have expected this awesome huge keyboard with lights and stuff"

-_-

divorce, get one

^__^

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 16:06:37 »

"Its so ugly"

-_-

divorce, get one

^__^

:eek:

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 16:07:20 »
I escalate very quickly, it's the only way I roll :D

Offline karljs

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 16:17:14 »
I'm going to defy the spirit of the thread and post a surprisingly enlightened question I got asked earlier this week. After noticing my Filco with brightly colored keycaps somebody asked "is it just colorful or is it special in some other way, too?" It warmed my heart just a little bit that not everybody immediately dismisses the idea that keyboards can be special!

For many people, that is just not part of the equation, much like "I don't care how an internal combustion engine works, just tell me where to put in the gasoline."

I don't disagree with you, but it's worth noting that Apple's laptops have a substantial appeal to UNIX geeks who are too busy to screw around with every little configuration setting in the Linux ecosystem.

Offline cancelx

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 16:24:03 »
"Why are you using this old thing, can't you afford a new one?" - My lovely SSK :C
Model M SSK - WASD V1 - CM Storm QFR - Ducky Year of the Rabbit - Realforce 87U - WASD V2 - K-Type

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 02:58:17 »

"Its so ugly"

-_-

aaah, women!

Offline Larken

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 06:37:22 »

"Its so ugly"

-_-

Please tell your wife that I have a much cooler looking keyboard in her opinion and I am damn jealous of your HHKB Pro 2. :D:D

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline 486

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 06:43:59 »
In reference to Model F AT , my co-workers either say "Shut the hell up" or "Where's the ESC key?"

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 21:37:37 »

"Its so ugly"

-_-

You like capacitive keyswitches, right? Grab a model F-122. It's an awesome huge keyboard, though you need to add lights and stuff.

Oh, best idea ever: Put some D batteries in there and use them to power an LED matrix forever.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 22:33:04 »
Since my parents still control what I do... The worst I've gotten is "You spent $18 on that SKULL?"  I LAUGHED in their face so hard that I cried. I also got called a weirdo for doing my recent Ergo Clear mod. Meh, oh well. ^-^

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 04:42:23 »
Since my parents still control what I do... The worst I've gotten is "You spent $18 on that SKULL?"  I LAUGHED in their face so hard that I cried. I also got called a weirdo for doing my recent Ergo Clear mod. Meh, oh well. ^-^

I got called "a freak" for being able to type just fine with blank keycaps :P

Offline Saturn

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 05:03:22 »

Also, if you spend a lot of money on a car, it'd better be huge and obnoxious, like a Hummer.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 11:25:07 »
I assume they were okay when you told them what it's now worth?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:57:53 »
I was told to sell it. :( I refused and hid 'er in the safe in my room that I bought at Harbor Freight. Heh.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 23:14:36 »
Before I added a ton of crazy random keycaps I got a lot of "lol that's so old" type comments from people looking @ my 'white' leopold.  I even had someone laugh at the "High-End Mechanical Keyboard" sticker on the back.  I gave up long ago trying to explain to people that you can have hobbies that aren’t watching sports, playing golf, automotive related, etc.  I never bother to tell how much something cost, where it came from, or the fact that I blindly gave some guy in Germany a couple hundred dollars in exchange for three pounds of plastic.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Lanx

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 23:37:35 »
none of you brightly colored keyboard guys got something like...
"wow you keyboard is colorful are you blind or impared?

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:20:38 »
Do you have to type wearing shades?
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:22:59 »
Do you have to type wearing shades?
I can't see what you did there...I CAN'T SEE IT!

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 19:01:48 »
Isn't it lovely ... Isn't it wonderful ...

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 19:03:09 »
I was going for eye protection against retinal damage, but that works too.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 01:21:37 »
I registered on the forum just due to this topic, lulz.

Anyway, my experience comes from changing from a Thermaltake Challenger Pro with a ISO Layout for a Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent with US Layout (old Costar model, thank heavens) and the feedback for it was:

"US$ 160 and it's not even ISO layout? How am I supposed to type in Portuguese in this thing?" < There are ways to write in Portuguese even with an US layout keyboard, it's not hard or anything, people are just dumb and don't like anything that is "different". Nowadays I think I should have bought the blank model.

"Bloody hell, this thing is noisy" < Meh, I wonder what it'd be like if I had bought the Cherry MX Blue one :D

"This is crap, my keyboard has backlight and costs much less" < As if backlight actually matters to some REAL gamer or a typist. Backlight is just for appearance's sake, nothing else.

"For the same price, you could have bought a Logitech G110, which is far better" < C'mon, do some research and tell me the same thing later. Just check the god damn disassemble pictures for both and I bet you won't say the same. Better yet, try typing on them.

Anyway, I learned that gamers are ****ing sad creatures. They don't buy a keyboard that fits what they really NEED. They buy a goddamn keyboard that fits only what they WANT.

Gamer logic = Yeah, that LCD display which is incompatible with most games is the reason I'll choose this keyboard over that mechanical thingie which looks the same as my 10 bucks Dell keyboard. Talk about some overpriced ****, this membrane keyboard is surely better.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 04:37:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You have your arguments all ready :)

By the way, many of us buy keyboards because we WANT them, not because we NEED them. ;)

Offline Larken

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 04:50:19 »
I put blanks onto my keyboard since a year or 2 back to force myself to learn not to look at the keyboard while I type. At first I still glanced at it every now and then. After a few weeks, I found that I didn't look once, not even when I was using another keyboard with a printed set of keycaps.

6 months later, a colleague asked if he could borrow my workstation to update his site. The look on his face was priceless when he turned around and asked me with a half irritated expression, "How the **** do you use this?".

Forgetting my keycaps were blanks and assuming that he was an Apple Fan, I gave him a gimlet stare and asked him, "You..... never used Windows before?"

The ensuing hilarity brightened up my day. I think I NEED my keyboards. Laughter is the best medicine.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 04:57:30 »
^ That's funny  ;D

Offline mars-bar-man

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 08:02:20 »
Funnily enough, no one has has said anything about my keyboard..

The Mrs was slightly bemused when I told her I spent £80 on a case for my Pure, but when I told her I'd rather spend tat on my board than on clothes I didn't really need, she seemed to get in a grump.. Victory to me I think! Colleagues at work love it, mostly due to the customisation I have on it (or rather, did).
KBC Poker w. MX Blues

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 09:52:21 »
Some in my office, a former Starcraft gamer apparently, commented that my Leopold looked like a Filco...

At my old place of employment, a bunch of computers were being trashed. Most were P4 era machines (why we still had them in storage as "spares" is beyond me). I saved the Dell that is in my sig from being tossed with them (and actually another that I gave to a friend). The confusion amongst my coworkers was great. "Why do you want THAT piece of ****?". "If you really need a keyboard we can give you a new Lenovo one."(<- my boss, and not the Thinkpad style keyboard)
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 10:06:52 »
The Dell AT101 is not a bad board, but it gets very little respect here. I suspect that it was the "entry level" keyboard for a lot of folks here.

This other thread shows an AT101 that really is "Bad Ass"

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36361.0

Keep asking and maybe he will tell us what wrap he used.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 10:10:30 by fohat.digs »

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 10:31:25 »
The Dell AT101 is not a bad board, but it gets very little respect here. I suspect that it was the "entry level" keyboard for a lot of folks here.

This other thread shows an AT101 that really is "Bad Ass"

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36361.0

Keep asking and maybe he will tell us what wrap he used.

Wow! That is awesome. I like my AT101. My biggest complaint about it is the size. I've been trying to conserve desk space as much as possible so the Dell has been put in the closet.

Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline schizrade

« Reply #100 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:03:57 »
Love my AT101's almost as much as my model M's.

People at work thing I am nuts with my expensive keyboards... until I let them use one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 14:14:54 »

Offline caffeine

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 23:58:51 »
While my Filco was delayed, I expressed my displeasure to my cousin and explained why it was so important and how much I paid for it. His reaction was 'why the hell did you pay $160 for a keyboard?'

I get that a lot when I mention how much mechanical keyboards cost, and seeing how I'm the only one among my friends and family who is constantly looking at them, I'm the only one who understands.

But, I guess after my HHKB arrives, it will be 'why the hell did you pay $300 for that dinky little thing?'

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:33:22 »
Maybe a comparison to shoe prices would be in order.

Do athletes or mountain climbers buy their shoes at Wal-Mart?

(the pitfall there would be the comparison to vain rich women and boutique dress shoes, of course)

Find another example.

Offline MechKey

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:48:16 »
I didn't tell my GF how much it cost.  Problem solved.

Offline newtrekemotion

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:53:28 »
Love my AT101's almost as much as my model M's.

People at work thing I am nuts with my expensive keyboards... until I let them use one.

Most people I know that are heavy computer users, want a nice keyboard, but don't care after they've gotten one. I know people who have a board with browns and don't care anymore beyond that. Also, the AT101 is an expensive board? :P

Maybe a comparison to shoe prices would be in order.

Do athletes or mountain climbers buy their shoes at Wal-Mart?

(the pitfall there would be the comparison to vain rich women and boutique dress shoes, of course)

Find another example.

I like cars. Maybe it is just my family, but they all seem to like to spend money on cars. I don't care about having an expensive car, and just tell them they want their expensive things and I want mine.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 09:06:40 »
Just the other day a fellow co-worker commented on how colorful my keyboard was (my CM Storm QFR with all it's novelty caps) and on how old/bizarre my mouse looked (an IBM Track Point L40 mechanical trackball mouse).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 10:00:06 »
Can't stand trackballs. I've been using a mouse for eons, and I don't see the need to move away from them.

Plus, I use a mouse every day when i come home for gaming so I think that would mess with using one at work.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:58:55 »
Just the other day a fellow co-worker commented on how colorful my keyboard was (my CM Storm QFR with all it's novelty caps) and on how old/bizarre my mouse looked (an IBM Track Point L40 mechanical trackball mouse).
Maybe they were being ironic?