Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 1423200 times)

Offline iri

Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #3150 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:51:36 »
Reading up on the Russian crisis and trying to find reviews of Russian Post as an order I have is making its way across Russia. I learnt a couple of things;
-it's amazing easy to control and manage perception of the world when your in power
-russia is big
-russian post isn't great

I wonder what else I'll learn by the end of today ^^
RUSSIAN POST ISN'T GREAT
best thing i've read today

behold the definition of "isn't great"

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3151 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:54:23 »
Reading up on the Russian crisis and trying to find reviews of Russian Post as an order I have is making its way across Russia. I learnt a couple of things;
-it's amazing easy to control and manage perception of the world when your in power
-russia is big
-russian post isn't great

I wonder what else I'll learn by the end of today ^^
RUSSIAN POST ISN'T GREAT
best thing i've read today

behold the definition of "isn't great"

Show Image

Yeah, I'd read somethings like that on forums and things but a lot of them were dated like 1-2 years ago and I guess things could change. And to be fair in three days the package I went to went from central Russia (like literally if you put a pin in the middle of Russia) to Moscow, which isn't terrible compared to other national postage systems... I just hope it gets from Moscow to London via the air...

Offline iri

« Reply #3152 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 10:05:10 »
You'd better hope it leaves before January the 1st. 01.01 -- 11.01 is the state holidays and around those nobody wants to work, including customs and post. And customs is a beast here.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3153 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 10:07:22 »
I have sucessfully researched the origins of this really odd ball psuedo "Bigfoot"

It is the keyboard from the IBM 5324.

Now how do I go about submitting info from the manual to the DT wiki?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3154 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 10:08:00 »
You'd better hope it leaves before January the 1st. 01.01 -- 11.01 is the state holidays and around those nobody wants to works, including customs and post. And customs is a beast here.

Well it's being delivered to the UK and I leave for Italy on Sunday so if it dsn't arrive by then, it dsn't really matter as I don't get back to the UK until mid-Jan anyway.
I ordered it like two weeks ago assuming it would arrive in time, and if it can be put on a plane to London before Friday there is a chance it will arrive in time... but

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3155 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 10:18:43 »
i baked

Show Image

2 more pics in here

Well done, seriously! Except from the great visual, is it a normal apple pie?
rose apple pie

Used rose jam? Or are you just fooling me around?  :p

It's called rose Apple pie because it looks like a rose.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3156 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 10:23:35 »
I have sucessfully researched the origins of this really odd ball psuedo "Bigfoot"

It is the keyboard from the IBM 5324.

Now how do I go about submitting info from the manual to the DT wiki?

Log into the DT Wiki with your account info. Hit edit, start editing. If you need help, post in the subforum they have on Wiki editing. People are usually very helpful. 002 really helped me out when I was uploading the scans from the Cherry sales catalogs I have.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3157 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 10:25:55 »
i baked

Show Image

2 more pics in here

rose apple pie

Yeah that's what I thought. That's why I said "apart from the visual", it is a normal pie which looks really good. My question was not meant to criticize your creation.  :thumb:

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #3158 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 13:40:45 »
Drove across town to buy a Blendtec off craigslist for my wife. I'm so crazy excited to give it to her; she's been wanting one for a loooong time.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #3159 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 13:58:01 »
I wore a button down and a tie for my companies holiday lunch. I received a lot of compliments.

I guess I look like a bum the rest of the year? :rolleyes:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3160 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 14:00:12 »
Drove across town to buy a Blendtec off craigslist for my wife. I'm so crazy excited to give it to her; she's been wanting one for a loooong time.

they sell them at costco for $250 new..

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3161 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 14:27:49 »
Took some pictures of my 1982 F.   Uploading now.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #3162 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:40:18 »
i baked

Show Image

2 more pics in here

rose apple pie

Omnomnom...send some to Canada!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3163 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:08:34 »
Took a walk to check out the new light.

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:11:04 by SpAmRaY »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3164 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 23:24:42 »
Spent pretty much all day writing admittedly hack-y firmware on an arduino. At least an hour of which was spent trying to solve one particular bug. I had my parentheses out of place.

Now I just need to actually make the board it goes with.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3165 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 00:00:33 »
I just watched "The Longest Week" with Olivia Wilde in it.

One of the most pretentious pieces of **** I've ever seen. Don't watch it.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3166 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 09:11:49 »
I disconnected my car's battery to reset the ECU and clear a check engine light after the gas cap wasn't tightened properly.

Offline iri

« Reply #3167 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 10:39:00 »
watched the Columbo episode where Leonard Nimoy plays a villain. was unusual.

went to a gay barber shop and got a nice haircut.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3168 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 10:45:16 »

Lol @haircut. I'm Caucasian but I go to a Latino barber shop. They do a fantastic job and I enjoy their Latin hip hop.
I'm back.

Offline iri

« Reply #3169 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:07:34 »
I'm Caucasian
as-salamu alaykum.

by the way, 15 minutes ago i watched a bbc video about that gays are regularly beaten in my hometown. should have asked the guys from the barber shop how hard it is to be gay here. or my gay colleague. oh, wait, he is on a sick leave, probably after being beaten.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3170 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:09:42 »

Lol @haircut. I'm Caucasian but I go to a Latino barber shop. They do a fantastic job and I enjoy their Latin hip hop.

What's a haircut?
84315-0

Yes that is me.  Was a couple months ago.

Offline iri

« Reply #3171 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:11:41 »
What's a haircut?
that awesome thing on your head.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3172 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:40:56 »
I tried chess pie for the first time today. It had almonds and it was delicious :).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3173 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 12:18:50 »

What's a haircut?
(Attachment Link)

This looks like a good 3 years worth of hair ? 18 inches ?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3174 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 12:20:11 »

What's a haircut?
(Attachment Link)

It is more than three years worth.  Welding, grinding, torching, and wearing a hard hat all day at work is hell on it and limits the growth

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3175 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 12:21:28 »

What's a haircut?
(Attachment Link)

It is more than three years worth.  Welding, grinding, torching, and wearing a hard hat all day at work is hell on it and limits the growth

isn't it dangerous to have so much hair in a construction job ?  what if it got tangled in some spinning machinery..  it would rip off your neck..

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3176 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 12:27:16 »

What's a haircut?
(Attachment Link)

isn't it dangerous to have so much hair in a construction job ?  what if it got tangled in some spinning machinery..  it would rip off your neck..

It is around that type of machinery but factory equipment is so guarded that you can't hardly get withing a foot of anything moving with openings in screenguarding/expanded steel of 1".  If you can even get that close.  I keep my hair tied back in a pony tail at work every day as well which is hard on it also.  If I am using tools where that is a concern I can either tuck it under my shirt or up inside my hard hat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3177 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 12:48:53 »

What's a haircut?
(Attachment Link)

It is around that type of machinery but factory equipment is so guarded that you can't hardly get withing a foot of anything moving with openings in screenguarding/expanded steel of 1".  If you can even get that close.  I keep my hair tied back in a pony tail at work every day as well which is hard on it also.  If I am using tools where that is a concern I can either tuck it under my shirt or up inside my hard hat.

Hrrmm...

Question..  Have you ever attempted to seduce females by sex-ily letting your hair down while taking off your hard hat...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3178 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:44:27 »
Question..  Have you ever attempted to seduce females by sex-ily letting your hair down while taking off your hard hat...

Attempted....  :))  good one

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3179 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:47:23 »

So what, you've seem um' do this all the time ?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3180 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 15:02:05 »

60% of the time it works 100% of the time.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3181 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 15:05:53 »
Melvang has Pantene hair
I'm back.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3182 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 17:14:40 »

Show Image

Where do you find these nice little GIFs?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3183 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 17:56:33 »

Show Image

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3184 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 23:16:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Is it Toro the Playstation cat?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3185 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 06:44:38 »
so far. waiting outside of work since 3:30 am waiting for security to show up. worst part is i have to be done by 7am.

it is now quarter till 5.

OH GREAT MORNING.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline iri

« Reply #3186 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 07:58:15 »
demik working under the cover of night? suspicious!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3187 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 09:46:09 »
you saw nothing!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #3188 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 22:19:55 »
I disconnected my car's battery to reset the ECU and clear a check engine light after the gas cap wasn't tightened properly.

Well, it wasn't the gas cap. Things got worse yesterday; sluggish acceleration and surges in engine power.

As it turns out, the engine was misfiring and the spark plugs needed to be replaced.

Having done that, it is now good to go for the holidays!  Vroom vroom!

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #3189 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 22:34:38 »
Woke up from an awesome dream that had characters from The Wire and Boardwalk Empire interacting, and gave me a great idea for a story that could become a good novel. So many ideas, so little time to write them all.

Spent a few hours programming the X-key XK-24, which is replacing the macro keys on the Logitech G110 (since I only use the macro keys and not the actual keyboard anymore). Also received the Adesso numeric keypad and the RealForce 87U Type-S today too.

Did a little bit of teaching just now (online art/CG workshop), and about to head to the shower. Tomorrow driving down to the Bay Area with the wife to spend time with my brother and his family at the Exploratorium.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3190 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 00:12:14 »
Went and saw the final installment of The Hobbit in 3d HFR.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3191 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 04:10:45 »
Woke up from an awesome dream that had characters from The Wire and Boardwalk Empire interacting, and gave me a great idea for a story that could become a good novel. So many ideas, so little time to write them all.

Spent a few hours programming the X-key XK-24, which is replacing the macro keys on the Logitech G110 (since I only use the macro keys and not the actual keyboard anymore). Also received the Adesso numeric keypad and the RealForce 87U Type-S today too.

Did a little bit of teaching just now (online art/CG workshop), and about to head to the shower. Tomorrow driving down to the Bay Area with the wife to spend time with my brother and his family at the Exploratorium.
Have you given some time to your RF yet? If so, what are your impressions?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3192 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 04:30:43 »
Watched The Maze Runner today. I don't think I have ever seen a movie with so so so many plotholes. It's like they didn't even proofread the script, it's actually kind of impressive how many contradictory plot devices made it into the movie.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #3193 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 04:54:35 »
Have you given some time to your RF yet? If so, what are your impressions?
I did, and I posted my initial impression here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66859.msg1567576#msg1567576

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3194 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 05:04:27 »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3195 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 20:04:10 »
Went for a walk in the woods next to my house with the whole family.

Then came home and hung some art since we are still getting settled in this new house.

All this art is done by a friend of mine. We have another 4 or 5 pieces of his which I don't have up yet.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3196 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 22:54:08 »
I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy.  One of the few movies that the whole family can love and actually lives up to the hype.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3197 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:10:02 »
I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy.  One of the few movies that the whole family can love and actually lives up to the hype.

Live up to the hype ?

IDK bout that.... 

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3198 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:22:23 »
Baked gingerbread and lebkuchen (not the same thing).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3199 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 23:24:29 »
Baked gingerbread and lebkuchen (not the same thing).

Does the latter taste like whiskey, clover, and potatoes?