Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 1423145 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #4250 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 14:44:47 »

Friday: went to Penarth so see properties. It's on a ****ing high hill. And the wind was really against me visiting the town, so I barely climbed there on the lowest possible gear of my road bike. Saw a lovely house there, but it's too far away from my work. Going to a viewing though steep ascents, noticed I got a flat tire. Nevertheless, I didn't die and was at all the appointments on time.

Friday night: went to a British pub for the first time. Noise level 100dB. All the Russian guys said beer there (and in other pubs where they were) was **** lol. Met some Brits from outside Cardiff, one of them told me that London is great and I should visit it, another one said it's ****. I agree with both of them.

Show Image

Today: viewed a bunch of apartments. Found one that more or less suits me. It's in a refurbished bakery and flower mill (what is a flower mill?) with old columns and rebars right in a flat. But it's ****ing expensive.

Hope the apartment works out!  Is it a flour mill?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline iri

« Reply #4251 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 16:37:01 »
****, flour mill, of course! i forgot that flour is a word  >:D
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4252 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 17:49:26 »
Went to lunch with my grandparents, got some groceries, and then came home and painted my Kingsaver  :D
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4253 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:05:35 »

Went to lunch with my grandparents, got some groceries, and then came home and painted my Kingsaver  :D
Excited for those pics, you are using purple paint, right?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4254 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:30:57 »

Correct. I'd take pictures now, but a) it's pitch black outside and b) I lent out my lightbox setup for the weekend, so I'll take/post some tomorrow.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4255 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:34:25 »

Correct. I'd take pictures now, but a) it's pitch black outside and b) I lent out my lightbox setup for the weekend, so I'll take/post some tomorrow.
Are you just painting the logo?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4256 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:36:40 »
Just did some making heavier topre switches experiment.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4257 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:38:57 »
Watched House of Cards.. and saw Vesper's gangster is real

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4258 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:50:53 »

I did the engravings on both the front and back of the board. Was originally just going to do then front, then decided that I wanted a challenge haha.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4259 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:54:17 »

I did the engravings on both the front and back of the board. Was originally just going to do then front, then decided that I wanted a challenge haha.
That will look really good, purple with silver, right?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4260 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:56:20 »

Yup! It does look really amazing. Now I'm just waiting on some purple LEDs for the locks from China, and that board will be complete.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #4261 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:17:00 »
Fixed my computer after convincing myself that I would have to buy a new motherboard (whew!)

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4262 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:10:48 »

Yup! It does look really amazing. Now I'm just waiting on some purple LEDs for the locks from China, and that board will be complete.
Is your kingsaver alps or mx, because I have been told that there are both types of kingsavers

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4263 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:14:06 »
it's in his sig

Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4264 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 21:10:38 »

it's in his sig

Oh thanks, I am on mobile right now on tapatalk.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #4265 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 21:19:11 »
Went to a beer festival, drank a bunch of rare beer, got drunk, and it continues...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4266 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 21:42:26 »

it's in his sig

Oh thanks, I am on mobile right now on tapatalk.

np bruh

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4267 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:03:18 »
#BeachPartyNight!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4268 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 18:06:37 »
I finally upgraded the GPU in my rig. Only been talking about it for about a year :)). Got an open box deal at MicroCenter on a Sapphire R9 280. I finally have 60 FPS! Here's a picture of my dusty rig with horrible cable management 'cause I'm a plebe :D.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #4269 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 23:32:38 »
Gave my cat a bath today.  She sure as hell didn't enjoy it, but now she is squeaky clean, happy, and talking non-stop.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4270 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 23:34:37 »
Spent entirely too much time working on this.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4271 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 23:48:13 »
just went outside to collect the hail we just got.

closest i'll get to snow :(

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4272 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 00:13:25 »
Spent entirely too much time working on this.

That is really cool!

Today I played some FF14 (gave a free week to old subscribers).. they added triple triad and chocobo races!

Then I found out just how little I know about CAD, PCB designs while browsing the forums and stumbling across the thread about CircuitHub.

Offline iri

« Reply #4273 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 16:47:23 »
Went to see a couple of flats in the morning. One of them was very good. Then went to work to do some routine, then quickly to the bank to set up an account. The charming female clerk in a headscarf probably liked me, because she also got me a credit card, even though this bank rejected to give it to my colleagues (because they weren't residents of the UK for 3 months).
Then I went to work and made a call to the letting agent saying I am ready to rent the good flat I've seen this morning. She said "all right, come tomorrow". 20 minutes later, when I was taking a ****, she called me again. I obviously didn't pick up the phone. So she left me a voice message. Out of the loo, I called my voicemail service, found out I have 4 messages (the agent's one being obviously the most recent) and started listening to them. Rrrrright at the end of the 3rd message my minutes allowance ended. I went to a store to top up the phone (I'm still on PAYG) only to hear in the last voice mail that someone actually paid a letting fee for the apartment in the morning, so it's gone and I can't rent it. What a lovely day!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4274 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 16:49:22 »
I finally upgraded the GPU in my rig. Only been talking about it for about a year :)). Got an open box deal at MicroCenter on a Sapphire R9 280. I finally have 60 FPS! Here's a picture of my dusty rig with horrible cable management 'cause I'm a plebe :D.

Show Image

Show Image

/ head scratch...  I thought CPT haz job.. why is cpt using a 280..

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #4275 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 17:20:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

/ head scratch...  I thought CPT haz job.. why is cpt using a 280..
All that $$$ for boards!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4276 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 00:36:50 »
Floss modded my AT with video

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4277 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 02:23:45 »
Went to see a couple of flats in the morning. One of them was very good. Then went to work to do some routine, then quickly to the bank to set up an account. The charming female clerk in a headscarf probably liked me, because she also got me a credit card, even though this bank rejected to give it to my colleagues (because they weren't residents of the UK for 3 months).
Then I went to work and made a call to the letting agent saying I am ready to rent the good flat I've seen this morning. She said "all right, come tomorrow". 20 minutes later, when I was taking a ****, she called me again. I obviously didn't pick up the phone. So she left me a voice message. Out of the loo, I called my voicemail service, found out I have 4 messages (the agent's one being obviously the most recent) and started listening to them. Rrrrright at the end of the 3rd message my minutes allowance ended. I went to a store to top up the phone (I'm still on PAYG) only to hear in the last voice mail that someone actually paid a letting fee for the apartment in the morning, so it's gone and I can't rent it. What a lovely day!

As someone who had to go flat hunting in the center of a bigger city than Cardiff very recently, my advice is to book appointments for the same day and over book your day as a few will cancel.
Good luck in your hunt tho

Offline iri

« Reply #4278 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 02:49:23 »

As someone who had to go flat hunting in the center of a bigger city than Cardiff very recently, my advice is to book appointments for the same day and over book your day as a few will cancel.
Good luck in your hunt tho
i'm doing exactly this from the day one. thank you.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #4279 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 03:25:53 »
Fair enough.
If it was anything like my hunting most of the flats go to people who don't even book a viewing they just see the pictures online..

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4280 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 04:19:10 »
Been in bed for over 30 hours, living up to the nickname Sleepfo. zzz
I love Elzy

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4281 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 13:08:16 »
Finally activated my Student AutoCAD license
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4282 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 13:11:20 »

Does it put a watermark on everything you save? There are ways around that if you need them. :shiftyeyes:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4283 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 13:18:50 »

Does it put a watermark on everything you save? There are ways around that if you need them. :shiftyeyes:

I'll check later tonight and let you know if I need it removed. :shiftynod:

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4284 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 13:39:42 »

I'll check later tonight and let you know if I need it removed. :shiftynod:

You can still have stuff made with the watermark, just can't make a profit on it.  This was my interpretation, though I could be wrong and it may be more like photographers copyrights where it is technically illegal to post them to facebook without express permission.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline iri

« Reply #4285 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 04:33:51 »
almost rented a flat: paid agency fee to get it off market.

missed a chance to get the national insurance number.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #4286 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 04:53:40 »
almost rented a flat: paid agency fee to get it off market.

missed a chance to get the national insurance number.

NHS! NHS! NHS!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline iri

« Reply #4287 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 07:51:02 »
**** it. i'll be getting a private health insurance anyway.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4288 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:08:37 »

Are you serious?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4289 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:01:23 »
Leaving for vacation. See you once I land to NC :) Or rather, during my layover in Washington.
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4290 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:06:31 »
Leaving for vacation. See you once I land to NC :) Or rather, during my layover in Washington.

what will u be doing in North Carolina.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4291 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:22:28 »
visit girlfriend
I love Elzy

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #4292 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:24:43 »
foolishly drove into work instead of working from home.

the roads in my area are a snowy mess right now
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4293 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:33:39 »
foolishly drove into work instead of working from home.

the roads in my area are a snowy mess right now

muahahahahaha

Tp4 warm+cozy working from home..

Offline iri

« Reply #4294 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:53:53 »

Are you serious?
my employer will pay for it.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4295 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:33:24 »
Went to a job fair in town.  Was talking to a couple people from a local company that makes ethanol.  Apparently the are looking for someone with pretty much my exact skill set.  After talking to the lady about the positions they are looking to fill, I started  talking to the guy that was there.  Keep in mind I have done a fair amount of work there in their facilities over the years for a local contractor  so I know the plants pretty well.  He asked me if I knew a guy that was a foreman for that contractor.  I had worked for him numerous times.  Apparently he quit that company and is down in TX now.

Either way I thanked them for their time, and told them both I would be filling out their application online.  A made another round to chat with some other companies there that were busy with other people previously.  One of them was across from this other company I was talking to.  After talking with them, the lady I was talking with earlier handed me her business card and told me to  email her personally after I filled out the application.   So I think that's a good sign.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4296 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:39:38 »
Went to a job fair in town.  Was talking to a couple people from a local company that makes ethanol.  Apparently the are looking for someone with pretty much my exact skill set.  After talking to the lady about the positions they are looking to fill, I started  talking to the guy that was there.  Keep in mind I have done a fair amount of work there in their facilities over the years for a local contractor  so I know the plants pretty well.  He asked me if I knew a guy that was a foreman for that contractor.  I had worked for him numerous times.  Apparently he quit that company and is down in TX now.

Either way I thanked them for their time, and told them both I would be filling out their application online.  A made another round to chat with some other companies there that were busy with other people previously.  One of them was across from this other company I was talking to.  After talking with them, the lady I was talking with earlier handed me her business card and told me to  email her personally after I filled out the application.   So I think that's a good sign.

:)  Yay!  I wonder if this is the company I think it is.   ^-^

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4297 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:45:01 »

It was Flint Hills Resources.  They have 4 facilities close enough to me I would drive to work from where I am at and they have an opening at 2 of them.  The closer one would actually cost me more gas due to more stops along the route.  But either way they pay well, provide uniforms with laundry service.  The uniforms are actually required because of company fire retardant policies.  Plus I have haven't smoked a cigarette in around 9 months and I think they are getting ready to go to a tobacco free property.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4298 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:54:23 »

It was Flint Hills Resources.  They have 4 facilities close enough to me I would drive to work from where I am at and they have an opening at 2 of them.  The closer one would actually cost me more gas due to more stops along the route.  But either way they pay well, provide uniforms with laundry service.  The uniforms are actually required because of company fire retardant policies.  Plus I have haven't smoked a cigarette in around 9 months and I think they are getting ready to go to a tobacco free property.

Ahh, that's not who I thought.  I was thinking Cargill.  Didn't realize Flint Hills made ethanol, but I'm not surprised.  Good luck with the job search!  And hopefully the company doesn't equate vaporizers and cigarettes.  :|

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4299 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 20:58:43 »

Ahh, that's not who I thought.  I was thinking Cargill.  Didn't realize Flint Hills made ethanol, but I'm not surprised.  Good luck with the job search!  And hopefully the company doesn't equate vaporizers and cigarettes.  :|

The Flint Hills around here bought out Hawkeye Renewable a few years ago.  On my vape, I am down to 0.3% now so pretty soon I will be totally done with it.  Not to worried about it even if vaporizers = cigarettes.