Author Topic: Keypresses Registring Twice (MX Brown)  (Read 23055 times)

Offline impclaw

Keypresses Registring Twice (MX Brown)
« on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 14:12:11 »
I have a Filco Minila MX Brown, and when typing, about once or twice every paragraph, the keypress is registered twice. This makes funny words like "theye" or "heello". I have used blues for a year or two now and never had this problem. I tried putting my girlfriend in front of the computer and it happened for her as well.

Am I just typing wrong, or is there an actual problem with my keyboard? I live in the middle of nowhere, so sending it back is difficult and expensive.

Here is a gif animation to demonstrate the problem (the word yesterdaay end of third line):

(Sorry for the slow typing, I'm not 100% used to the English layout yet)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Keypresses Registring Twice (MX Brown)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 14:15:23 »
hhrrmm..... well... if it's all the keys it could be a solder problem next to the controller..

Or a faulty controller that has problem with debounce..

Did you check it on different computers?

Offline impclaw

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 19:07:23 »
hhrrmm..... well... if it's all the keys it could be a solder problem next to the controller..

Or a faulty controller that has problem with debounce..

Did you check it on different computers?
Thanks for your reply!

I have now checked it on a different computer, and also with a different USB port. Neither works well. I don't know if it is all the keys. I mostly wonder if this will go away with usage...

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 05:00:55 »
It is a chattering switch. Send it back or replace the switches yourself.

Offline impclaw

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 14:28:59 »
I guess I have to send it back then.

I am finally able to reproduce the error. If I type on the switches very lightly (not bottoming out), it happens much more often. Is it possible that the actuation and reset point are so close, it is triggered multiple times? I just want to make sure this problem is not somehow my fault.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 14:45:42 »
I guess I have to send it back then.

I am finally able to reproduce the error. If I type on the switches very lightly (not bottoming out), it happens much more often. Is it possible that the actuation and reset point are so close, it is triggered multiple times? I just want to make sure this problem is not somehow my fault.

It's not you, it's the keyboard! Especially since you tried on more than one computer.

Keyboards shouldn't ever do this unless you double tap, or have some kind of crazy repeat rate.

Although I'm pretty sure something on the usb bus (sometimes usb 3 conflicts on older machines) and/or some software glitch could cause a similar issue but I believe in that case you would notice because the entire computer would have stuttering. I had that issues once I would be typing and the cursor would stop moving and then just type a bunch of the last character.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 June 2013, 14:50:31 by ray4jc »

Offline Bratman

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 16:29:12 »
Is this a problem with tactile switches? I use cherry red but now I keep hearing about chatter on browns and blues.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 17:00:59 »
You can also use a Autohotkey script to fix that:

$e::
{
Start:
Downkey := A_TickCount
sendInput {e}
KeyWait e
KeyWait e, d T0.2f
if (ErrorLevel = 0)
{
if (A_TickCount - Downkey < 500)
{
Send {F13}
}
Return
}
}

I made this script to fix the same problem on an Azio Levetron Mech 4 (Cherry MX Blacks) and works perfectly!
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:01:26 »
Is this a problem with tactile switches? I use cherry red but now I keep hearing about chatter on browns and blues.
No its not a problem. They're defective and defective switches come in all flavours. The only time its a problem is when we're talking about blues and hysteresis.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline jabar

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:38:21 »

I made this script to fix the same problem on an Azio Levetron Mech 4 (Cherry MX Blacks) and works perfectly!
That is a bandage for what should be right in the first place.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 19:16:10 »

That is a bandage for what should be right in the first place.

Yeah, but it's better than nothing, especially when you have no support or warranty whatsoever where you live at for the keyboard you own.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline impclaw

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 09:40:06 »
I hope this is not considered necromancy but I hate threads that end without a follow-up.

I sent my keyboard back to the company but they couldn't find any faults with it. Looking at the switch pressure graphs, it seems that the operating point and reset point are awfully close. My guess is that I type so lightly that the keys accidentally register twice sometimes. This is of course unbearable and I'm already looking to buy a new keyboard. Blues are my favourite but it is too loud for the workplace, so I'm pretty stuck.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 09:47:00 »
Clears?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline nightsnack

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 11:52:15 »
I hope this is not considered necromancy but I hate threads that end without a follow-up.

I sent my keyboard back to the company but they couldn't find any faults with it. Looking at the switch pressure graphs, it seems that the operating point and reset point are awfully close. My guess is that I type so lightly that the keys accidentally register twice sometimes.

And your girlfriend is exactly the same when it comes to typing lightly? I would find that conclusion from the vendor very hard to accept if I were you.

You should lend the board to someone who types like a jackhammer and see if it still happens.

Offline impclaw

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 16:14:45 »
And your girlfriend is exactly the same when it comes to typing lightly? I would find that conclusion from the vendor very hard to accept if I were you.

You should lend the board to someone who types like a jackhammer and see if it still happens.
I guess you have a point.

I another funny thing today. I decided to switch around various usb cables, when I wiggle the cable (lightly) the keyboard leds flash, the keyboard disconnects and reconnects. Is it supposed to do this? Could this perhaps be the issue?

Sorry for asking all these questions. But I really, really like the layout.. heh.