Author Topic: What do you miss?  (Read 14111 times)

Offline Altis

What do you miss?
« on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 21:16:25 »
Sometimes things fall out of fashion, but everyone still likes it. I'm wondering what you people miss, or wish would make a return.

For example, I miss 4:3 aspect laptops (or even 16:10 non-Apple laptops). I kind of hope that 3:2 takes off. I have yet to talk to anyone who prefers 16:9 for laptops, although I'm sure they're out there. It just seems like something that changed although nobody asked for it.

I miss the new car smell they used to have (even if it probably wasn't good for you). I get why they stopped but it'd be nice to have the option.

EDIT: I also miss microsoft windows (the user)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 February 2016, 21:23:04 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What do you miss?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 21:53:50 »
I miss having real friends made of meat that you can see and touch rather than just intangible digital friends from far away.

Also that thing where when you live with your parent(s) and the fridge is always magically full of food every time you open it.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 21:58:46 »
I miss having real friends made of meat that you can see and touch rather than just intangible digital friends from far away.

Also that thing where when you live with your parent(s) and the fridge is always magically full of food every time you open it.

**** yeah on those.

I also miss being able to look under the bonnet of a car and look at components rather than bits of plastic covering everything.

I miss not working night shifts.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline gain

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 22:00:39 »
Bubble Tea, I haven't had it in a while  :'(

I also miss my innocence, caught glimpse at the kind of person I was 10 years ago. I think I changed for the worse  :-\

And those flavour packets that used to come with Samboy chips. Fuuuuck now I'm all nostalgic with an hour of work left.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 22:09:16 »
Most of all I miss going in to work, counting the hours before my shift is over, and that feeling I would get as I clocked out.

I also miss the smells of skateboarding, the smell of a skate deck after the cellophane is ripped off, fresh skateshop shoes hot off the truck, skate wax, surf wax, the smell of sun dried asphalt, even the smell of teeth after an ollie over a little stairset (I clenched too much), the smell of trucks on angle iron/steel, the smell of metal or wooden ramps, skateshops that use incense, gypsy stores that use incense.

I also miss the feeling of testing different concaved decks on the skateshop carpets, and the feeling of barely rolling away.

Hearing of a new spot to check out. Reviewing skate videos for the now defunct skate video review site. I guess I miss surfing too.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 23:09:23 »
I miss video games.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 23:09:36 »
I miss my mom.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 23:17:27 »
I miss my mom.
I feel you mane. The smell of mom's cooking ahhh
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 00:46:58 by bocahgundul »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 00:42:54 »
I miss not paying bills,

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 03:44:49 »
There are too many things I miss that are not going to come back, so I just try to make the most of what I have.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 04:12:12 »

Tp4 prefer the Digital experience.. 

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 04:42:19 »
Simple relationships.

Everyone nowadays is so busy with phones and social medias they seem to forget how we could bond over a drink or a meal.

Also they would not cancel plans all the time.

I also miss the Wow days with the old guild. I made a lot of mistakes during those times. But it was such a blast to spend 10+ hours per days with those guy over teamspeak.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:10:32 »
24/7 supermarkets.

Text messages from the bank each time my credit card is changed.

Ability to do everything without booking an appointment.

Good beer and interesting pubs on every step.

Cheap and punctual trains.

Privacy.

Hunting for girls.

Most of all, the eventfulness of my life when I was 25.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:21:36 »
When people didn't try so hard to be edgy and create some virtual-identity.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:30:24 »
When I used to feel like everything was okay.  What I would give to go back 3 years...
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:42:46 »
I miss my mom.

:(

* HoffmanMyster hugs romevi

+1

Can't even tell you how legitimately I've considered moving closer to some geekhackers...  :confused:

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 09:34:26 »
Simple relationships.

Everyone nowadays is so busy with phones and social medias they seem to forget how we could bond over a drink or a meal.

This guy gets it. Couldn't have said it better myself...everyone's so worried about how they look on the outside...

Offline iri

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 10:46:40 »
My only friend lives 2700km away from me.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 11:15:25 »
Games being playable upon release
Having no real responsibilities (being a kid)
Partying with my best Bro, who now is a father with a chick that seems crazy. Who seems to be isolating him from the rest of the world with some success
Seeing the sun (only a few months left until spring)

But really not that many things. Life is sorting itself out slowly and the more I think about it, the less things I actually miss. The key seem to be to replace things you like with new things you also like. To try to stay static is to not understand how life works. To resist change is just a waste of energy

I do however miss aspects of living at home. But in the end freedom is worth more than anything else :)
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 11:46:14 »
Playing video games without a care in the world is proabably the only thing I miss. That, and playing with scattered toys on the floor or outside.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 12:01:30 »
I miss waking up whenever I feel like it.

edit: and going to bed whenever I feel like it...
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 12:04:47 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 12:05:49 »
Dropping all the poetic bs, skateboarding helped take my mind away from the fact that my dad was too proud to get medical attention for something that happened during a lifetime of service. PTSD is real and it effects a lot of people. I miss my dad. 

I miss my mom.
:( I kind of know what you mean
Simple relationships.

I also miss the Wow days with the old guild. I made a lot of mistakes during those times. But it was such a blast to spend 10+ hours per days with those guy over teamspeak.
You reminded me of those days when all my friends would squeeze in to a table at Denny's, we would just sit there, sometimes we talk, some pass out, I miss that too.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 15:21:40 »
Summer vacation. Hate being an adult.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:03:50 »
* Hair: It was once so long that it reached down to my waist. I have had it cropped short because of baldness since I was 25.
* My cat (although she's been dead for nine years)
* Having space and not so much stuff
* Youthful optimism for the future

Offline iri

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:10:32 »
Ah, yeah, hair... I miss it.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:17:59 »
Miss my college days, so crazy, so broke but so fun
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:19:13 »
Ah, yeah, hair... I miss it.

Show Image

That's a sweet mullet, bro.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:25:26 »
Playing video games with my friends. Especially when we'd grab a couple bags of Doritos, 24 pack of Mtn Dew, and then pull an all-nighter when we were younger.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:26:05 »
Playing video games with my friends. Especially when we'd grab a couple bags of Doritos, 24 pack of Mtn Dew, and then pull an all-nighter when we were younger.

MLG as ****

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:29:21 »

MLG as ****

That was our form of drugs and alcohol as kids. :))
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:30:59 »

MLG as ****

That was our form of drugs and alcohol as kids. :))

Don't trip. I use to take wrestling figures in my backpack to go play with my friends.

In 11th grade. I was cool as **** as u can see.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:35:28 »
Not being stressed. I have too much to handle at the minute. Being obbsessive doesn't help either.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:46:56 »
Sleep.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:49:01 »
Sleep.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:50:08 »
I MISS WHEN MY EYES TWINKLED FULL OF WONDERMENT AS A CHILD

NOT THAT I WAS AWARE OF MY LIFE PERCEPTION AT THE TIME. . . SO I GUESS I'M JUST DISAPPOINTED IN MYSELF THAT I LET LIFE BEAT ME DOWN TO THE GROUND WE CALL REALITY
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Bomble

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:54:34 »
I missed being apart of some sort of online community, no idea why but I just stopped checking in here. Everywhere else I seem to just lurk :p

Offline ChocolateMoloko

• Discipline 99
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:59:06 »
Breaking Bad, even though the ending was great im going to miss watching new episodes.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:12:24 »
Sleep.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 17:14:17 »
Definitely miss college and all the random/crazy **** I used to do!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 18:16:49 »

Yesssssss

I still think back to that one friend's basement with the wicker furniture, us in our (separate) sleeping bags playing Champions of Norrath all night long, while we dined on pizza, Doritos, and Mountain Dew (before it was called Mtn Dew :P ). 

^-^ 

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 18:33:22 »
Not having responsibility.

Adulthood is overrated.

Perhaps I should try to marry a rich girl so her family can pay for my meager lifestyle.  Of course, that basically would require me to sacrifice my entire personality.

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:03:51 »
I miss pizza.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:30:04 »
You guys must have had a pretty nice childhood or I'm grossly underestimating the ****tiness of Adulthood, because I can't wait to have the means to move out and have a modicum of decision making.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:30:41 »
You guys must have had a pretty nice childhood or I'm grossly underestimating the ****tiness of Adulthood, because I can't wait to have the means to move out and have a modicum of decision making.

Nice childhood, stressful not-childhood.  :))

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:35:52 »

I'm grossly underestimating the ****tiness of Adulthood,

Offline iri

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:54:47 »
Best time in my life was when I was 25.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:58:45 »
Best time in my life was when I was 25.
For me the best times where when I was 21-22. I'm 31 now bruh. ymmv

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:59:07 »

I love adulthood overall far more than childhood overall. 

The things that I miss from when I was a child are very enjoyable memories and I do miss them, but if I were given the chance to go back and also endure the annoyances and hardships of childhood I would pass. 

Still, nice to reminisce and remember.  :)

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 23:57:23 »

I love adulthood overall far more than childhood overall. 

The things that I miss from when I was a child are very enjoyable memories and I do miss them, but if I were given the chance to go back and also endure the annoyances and hardships of childhood I would pass. 

Still, nice to reminisce and remember.  :)
I've had a pretty **** past few years, and a mediocre bunch of years before that.  I'm really looking forward to college and gaining some independence.   Adulting seems scary and hard, but I really hope that life keeps improving.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 23:59:52 »

we all wanted to grow up at your age.