Author Topic: Can some Guru please teach me about -the- Sims?  (Read 1315 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Can some Guru please teach me about -the- Sims?
« on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 09:41:03 »
if we look at the Arrghh-matey-bay..   it would seem that the Sims is THE MOST POPULAR franchise game out there..

Whatsup with that ??

I never understood why people played it.. since there are no objectives, and all of the potential tasks seem like simulated chores..  you know, the stuff you'd hate doing in real life..

What is the reward in the world of the Sims..  what do the players get out of it ??

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Can some Guru please teach me about -the- Sims?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 09:51:53 »
if we look at the Arrghh-matey-bay..   it would seem that the Sims is THE MOST POPULAR franchise game out there..

Whatsup with that ??

I never understood why people played it.. since there are no objectives, and all of the potential tasks seem like simulated chores..  you know, the stuff you'd hate doing in real life..

What is the reward in the world of the Sims..  what do the players get out of it ??

They get the same thing as watching any reality tv show: An escape from the real world.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 09:54:43 »

Whatsup with that ??

They get the same thing as watching any reality tv show: An escape from the real world.

This is honestly why I do everything.  :))

But really, the Sims is fun for a lot of reasons. Some people like building fancy houses, others like ****ing with people's lives, some like making drama and playing out fun little stories.

It's hard to explain why we like what we like.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:01:00 »

Whatsup with that ??

But really, the Sims is fun for a lot of reasons. Some people like building fancy houses, others like ****ing with people's lives, some like making drama and playing out fun little stories.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:03:34 »
I liked making an incredibly dysfunctional family and watching them fall apart. I made one once where nobody had any organizational skills whatsoever, and they reached a point where they had so many kids but never did the dishes that they all died from disease cuz of all the dirty dishes.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:04:54 »

Whatsup with that ??

Show Image

Now I'm going to have to start playing again.

Offline jd29

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:36:25 »
The building mode is actually pretty robust. The terrain can be remodeled, there are lots and lots and mods, and a big community. That's why I used to play Sims 2. I never cared for the "life" part of the game.

I tried 3 too, but it's horribly unoptimized. As in they probably didn't spend five minutes trying to optimize it past "usable".