Author Topic: Dude, did you get a Dell ?  (Read 8683 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Dude, did you get a Dell ?
« on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:08:27 »
Tp4 never got a Dell..

What's it like to haz a Dell..

Please share ur Dell Experience.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Dude, did you get a Dell ?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:11:48 »
Never had a cow box.

Did have a HP and a Packard Bell though. The latter was a genuine POS.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:12:15 »
I'm on my third  warranty replacement.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:13:06 »
Never had a cow box.

cow box ? u mean gateway ? dell didn't have cow box did they?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:14:54 »
Never had a cow box.

cow box ? u mean gateway ? dell didn't have cow box did they?

Oh yeah, that was Gateway. I always get them confused.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:20:07 »
I had a Vostro that was a beast. It was my favorite laptop I ever had. I also had 2 desktops from them with no complaints.

Overall I like them over the other companies. They don't bring fluff liks HPs and Compaq.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:20:46 »
I bought a Dell a while back when you had the option to have it ship with Linux. I then harvested the CPU out of it and built another PC with it a few years later. That **** lasted forever and cost next to nothing.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:43:28 »
I've worked on hundreds of them, in the past. They seem okay. Just like anything else really. The cases for the business class workstations and servers were always well designed; allowing for easy maintenance.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 20:47:14 »
I had a Venue 8 Pro for two weeks.  Wi-fi was unreliable, and one day it shut down permanently.  I bought an Asus Transformer Book for my Win8 tablet itch, used it for a year, decided touch wasn't all that and got a T420.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:05:00 »
I've only ever had the XPS line from dell, and those seem to last forever (still have an old one from 2008 running Chromium for my grandparents). Had a few HP that fell apart completely within a year, and currently have a lenovo that has been a ***** to deal with getting a replacement for (Yoga 2 Pro that has a USB port that doesn't work and touchscreen that works when it wants to). Also had a Razer blade which was an amazing machine. Build quality was second to none and the hardware held up great. Only ever had to have the charger replaced in the 2.5 years I had it.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 23:19:32 »
I had a Dell laptop in the early 2000s. It broke a lot. One time a bunch of smoke came out of the power cord, which it probably wasn't supposed to do.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 00:08:43 »
The slowest i7 computer I've ever used!

Offline gain

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 00:12:37 »
Ah yes. 2004, Dell Insipron 5150. Wikipedia says it all.

"The laptop was infamous for a huge number of design failures, overheating, battery failures, connector loosening, motherboard failures."

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 01:56:48 »
using a dell inspiration right now. i don't hate it, but i don't like it either

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 03:30:14 »
We mostly use Dells at work.  Plastic boxes with shiny bits, cheap.  Nasty to average keyboards, some with abominable layouts.

Most of our servers are Dell, they work.  We've only had one HDD die, and one motherboard in a server got too flaky.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 04:33:20 »
I still remember when that 1ghz pentium 3 first came out,  and Dell had that Commercial for it..

I was so jelly of my friend who got a Dell with that cpu..

I think what was it, like some command and conquer was out and it ran really well.. maybe tiberian sun.. not sure.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 04:38:13 »
our office all use dell, for everything

their monitors are pretty nice for work

their laptops are slow and run at like 90C

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 04:46:33 »
our office all use dell, for everything

their monitors are pretty nice for work

their laptops are slow and run at like 90C

The smaller laptops run hot.. the big ones are cool no ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 04:53:31 »
We use Dell PCs of some variety at work. It's not great, but it's not horrible either, it's just a cheap computer.

Can't exactly do 3D imaging on them though :P .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline nephiel

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:51:46 »
My workplace just bought some 15.6" Vostro laptops. They're pretty well built for their price point. The BIOS menus are very well thought out. Only 2 screws to open the maintenance cover: RAM, HDD, wireless card and CMOS battery are easily accessible, CPU fan not so much though. Matte screen. AC adapter is really small in size. Keyboard is a rather usable chiclet one with numpad, but it lacks a Pause key. Also missing is HDMI output.

Runs cool, but no dedicated graphics card means no demanding games/3D design stuff.

These came with Win8.1 preinstalled and too many partitions on the drive for my taste (one for UEFI, three for Windows, and three more for Dell recovery/diagnostics/factory image). I removed most of them on mine, but I'll write that within a "more" tag so as not to clutter this thread.
More
First thing I did on mine was run built-in diagnostics to check all was working out of the box. Then boot preinstalled Win8 to create recovery DVDs using the Dell utility (which thoughtfully puts drivers and software on a separate DVD). With these I no longer need the recovery and factory image partitions. Then boot a live Linux distro to backup the diagnostics partition (hidden 40MB primary FAT32 labeled DIAGS). Then repartitioned the whole drive. Disabled "secure" boot and enabled legacy boot options in BIOS, put Win8.1 on a single primary partition just in case, restored the DIAGS partition to another, and Debian (soon to be upgraded to Devuan because systemd sucks) root/swap/home on an extended partition.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:54:50 by nephiel »
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:03:11 »
Our whole fleet at work is Dell, mainly because their ProSupport is really solid, and we get good bulk deals. The OptiPlex line has been really solid so far. We ended up upgrading a lot of PCs to SSDs, but I really can't complain about them.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:12:03 »
I've only ever had the XPS line from dell, and those seem to last forever (still have an old one from 2008 running Chromium for my grandparents). Had a few HP that fell apart completely within a year, and currently have a lenovo that has been a ***** to deal with getting a replacement for (Yoga 2 Pro that has a USB port that doesn't work and touchscreen that works when it wants to). Also had a Razer blade which was an amazing machine. Build quality was second to none and the hardware held up great. Only ever had to have the charger replaced in the 2.5 years I had it.

Sounds like it is hit or miss with Dell. I thought of getting the new XPS but dat issues with trackpad, screen, and coil whine.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 06:14:50 »
Dell is hate for me. Except for maybe the XPS. But I don't trust Dell. Dell raped me. Dell has been unfaithful to my trust. It has to deserve it again.

Also, this:

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 22:48:39 »
Our whole fleet at work is Dell, mainly because their ProSupport is really solid, and we get good bulk deals. The OptiPlex line has been really solid so far. We ended up upgrading a lot of PCs to SSDs, but I really can't complain about them.

I think that would help the ones I use A LOT to have SSDs, some have i7s but they still feel so slow. My custom Q9550 feels faster.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 23:20:36 »
The Precision Workstation Laptop is one that I'm looking at.

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
comes with thunderbolt to Ethernet
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

I already have 2 512 SSDs. So, that's close to $1000 less than the MacBook 15".

Edit: It's also smaller and lighter than the 15" MacBook and comes with Linux...which I'd switch to my own flavor.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 April 2016, 23:24:54 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:39:24 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

Edit: It's also smaller and lighter than the 15" MacBook and comes with Linux...which I'd switch to my own flavor.

Thar's GOLD in dem MacBooks!!!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:41:39 »
Wait, Dells are good now? I've been using them at offices for a couple of decades and they're...all right.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:54:18 »
I've had good and bad experiences with all brands I've come across. They all use pretty similar hardware. So, it comes down to specs and price for me.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:54:34 »
Every hospital I've worked in at in the past several years have had dell workstations and laptops for healthcare workers. In my experience they are not the most reliable, although they do seem to have improved since 10 years ago when my family had one - that thing was a piece of s***.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:00:29 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

I priced up some desktop machines for me for work recently.  With equivalent specs, the Dell turned out noticeably more expensive.

So I got a Mac (well, ordered - it should arrive early next week).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:08:20 »
OzBucks
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:13:19 »
OzBucks

Yeah.

But everything is more expensive.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:28:28 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

I priced up some desktop machines for me for work recently.  With equivalent specs, the Dell turned out noticeably more expensive.

At least they are ahead of the curve in regard to UI scaling and high PPI screens (or so I've heard). I'll never buy one myself to find out, but that does sound like a main advantage they have.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:39:58 »
The Latitude and Optiplex machines at work are solid, reliable, indestructible.
Only problems I've ever heard of is 1) with my Optiplex where it only recognizes 12gb of my 16gb RAM sticks. But I only asked IT for upgrade from 4 to 8gb, so 12 is 4 more than I need anyway.
And 2) with my latitude, my fc660m fits perfectly on top but the laptop case can flex a little so sometimes the four feet don't sit flat on top, and it rocks a little while typing. I just give it a quick bend and its fine.

I never owned a consumer-grade dell, but reports from friends suggest they're very hit and miss. Some are great, some are terrible, and there's no way to find out which is which until the thing is obsolete  already.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 02:48:20 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

At least they are ahead of the curve in regard to UI scaling and high PPI screens (or so I've heard). I'll never buy one myself to find out, but that does sound like a main advantage they have.

Apple?  Yes, definitely.  They produced the first retina displays (didn't they?) and OS X does tend to have good support for it.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 05:03:41 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

So you bought a retina macbook pro?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 05:04:33 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

That's the advantage of controlling both hardware and software. Only issue in the early days was Adobe software and high PPI screens (of course.. adobe sucks nowadays).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 05:45:56 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

No, a 27" 5K retina iMac :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 05:48:21 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

Nice... nice... is one display enough for you? Or you hooking up an external one as well?

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 05:57:57 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

I need a laptop though. Like I said, for me it's all about the specs vs price. I don't care about brands. They're all pink on the inside. :P
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 05:58:03 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

Nice... nice... is one display enough for you? Or you hooking up an external one as well?

I have 2 monitors on my old Dell now, and I plan on keeping the 24" as a second monitor on the iMac.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:01:33 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

I have 2 monitors on my old Dell now, and I plan on keeping the 24" as a second monitor on the iMac.

I was thinking to get a 27" retina iMac as well... but with the 1 TB SSD, 32 GB ram, higher GPU it costs 4789 euro's!!! I do run a business though but it is still a freakin' lot of money.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:06:30 »

Xeon
16GB
supports 2 HDD/SSD
add a docking station

all for ~$2000

I was thinking to get a 27" retina iMac as well... but with the 1 TB SSD, 32 GB ram, higher GPU it costs 4789 euro's!!! I do run a business though but it is still a freakin' lot of money.

Mine will have fastest CPU, 16GB RAM, 2TB Fusion drive, and lower GPU.  And 3 years Apple warranty, just in case.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:08:44 »
What's a Fusion drive?
What's the total, pre-tax and shipping?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:11:23 »
What's a Fusion drive?

Sorry, I meant 2TB SSD. Fusion drive = large spinning disk and smaller SSD and software / algorithm to decide what you use most frequently, which is put on the SSD. Everything else is moved off to the slower spinning disk.

pre-tax? uuuhm 4789 with 21% tax included leaves me at...3957 without tax, so 830 euro's in tax here in the Netherlands. Shipping is free.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:11:38 »
What's a Fusion drive?

A fusion drive is an Apple device the combines a conventional mechanical hard drive with a large flash cache, kinda like half SSD half HDD.

Price I dunno - prices were listed GST-inclusive and I wasn't worrying too much about that.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:21:00 »
Thanks for the info. Fusion must be the Apple moniker. I had one of those hybrid drives from WD a few years ago and I couldn't tell a difference between it and a standard mech. I use 2 512 SSDs in a RAID 0 for better performance than a single 1TB SSD. Then, external HDDs for data that's not accessed daily.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:24:08 »
Thanks for the info. Fusion must be the Apple moniker. I had one of those hybrid drives from WD a few years ago and I couldn't tell a difference between it and a standard mech. I use 2 512 SSDs in a RAID 0 for better performance than a single 1TB SSD. Then, external HDDs for data that's not accessed daily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Drive

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:25:31 »

Isn't raid 0 a bit risky given read/write limits for a ssd or is it safe now?

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:32:17 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Drive

Yep, "Fusion Drive is Apple Inc.'s name for its implementation of a hybrid drive"
SSKs for everyone!