Author Topic: Do HHKB's "warp"?  (Read 4266 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Do HHKB's "warp"?
« on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:29:10 »
Hello, I just got an HHKB in a trade. The date on it is 6 of 16 so it is fairly new. When I sit it on a table it wobbles a bit. I know they are made from plastic. Are they known for warping? I am about to (and already have) drop some money into it and I am just wondering if I should wait and get a different one?

Thanks for any input!

Offline kosm3

Re: Do HHKB's "warp"?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:43:40 »
Hello,

i would suggest you to try to open the case and see if everything is in good place.
When you put the case back up look how the bottom part is connecting with the top part, maybe only one of those is warped.
3M Bumpon could fix this, cheers

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 17:10:28 »
Have you tested this on a number of different surfaces?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 17:30:57 »
No, but don't leave it in the sun light. if you can avoid it.

any plastic left in the sun will warp slightly over time.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 17:39:23 »
I've had mine wobble on what I thought was a flat surface. Tried another and it didn't wobble, so the surface was the reason for the wobble.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 19:06:25 »
Every HHKB I have had, has wobbled.  Pretty sure it is normal.

If it bothers you, i'd recommend adding some of the small clear 3M bumpers.  They should honestly be one of every HHKB owners first purchases.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 19:12:53 »
If it bothers you, i'd recommend adding some of the small clear 3M bumpers.  They should honestly be one of every HHKB owners first purchases.

this.  no more awkward sliding around, and i can rest my hhkb above my macbook keyboard without pressing any of the keys.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 19:17:36 »
Fold up a couple layers of drawer liner and put it between the hhkb and the desk.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 20:11:39 »
Thanks for all of the replies. I have tried it on 3 different surfaces and they all wobble. I will try the 3M things. I plan on taking it apart soon to lube it, I will make sure everything is aligned.

Thanks again!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 20:16:10 »
Could someone post a pic of where you place the 3m pads on your hhkb?

Offline robbles

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 20:33:21 »
Thanks for all of the replies. I have tried it on 3 different surfaces and they all wobble. I will try the 3M things. I plan on taking it apart soon to lube it, I will make sure everything is aligned.

Thanks again!

Try grabbing both sides of the case and twisting back and forth gently. I thought my HHKB was warped too until i did this. I have to do it every time after opening my case to get the top and bottom seated evenly.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 21:32:27 »

here are quick potatoes.  this works just perfectly with my macbook 15" and 13" laptops.  the bumpers sit just outside of the keyboard inset well area.

the bumpers i use are the bumper specialties brand that was recommended in this thread.  they're expensive but they work very well.  i use them on everything including my 360c case which was missing some bumpers when i got it.

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 21:55:23 »
I am using 2 in the back corners of my hhkb, in what looks like the exact same spot as naasfu. mine doesn't wobble or slide around super easily  :thumb:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 01:13:38 »

here are quick potatoes.  this works just perfectly with my macbook 15" and 13" laptops.  the bumpers sit just outside of the keyboard inset well area.

the bumpers i use are the bumper specialties brand that was recommended in this thread.  they're expensive but they work very well.  i use them on everything including my 360c case which was missing some bumpers when i got it.

Show Image

Show Image

I am using 2 in the back corners of my hhkb, in what looks like the exact same spot as naasfu. mine doesn't wobble or slide around super easily  :thumb:

Ok, great! I will try and picl some up this week. Just out of curiosity, did ya'll lube and/or Hypershere?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 15:22:09 »

Show Image

Show Image

Which are these? Though that I could grab some at my local Staples but I was wrong. Thanks!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 15:26:23 »
I ordered a pack of these since I couldn't find a smaller quantity at the time. I don't know which ones naasfu used but they look similar.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 February 2017, 16:20:17 »
I ordered a pack of these since I couldn't find a smaller quantity at the time. I don't know which ones naasfu used but they look similar.

Thanks!

If you want to sell any of them PM me? I really have no need to buy a whole pack so I would be interested in purchasing a few.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:02:02 »

Thanks again!

Try grabbing both sides of the case and twisting back and forth gently. I thought my HHKB was warped too until i did this. I have to do it every time after opening my case to get the top and bottom seated evenly.

This has been the only fix so far. It is like the HHKB twists when it is not laid down and I have to twist it back. Thanks.

I could not finder any good low pro bumpers locally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:05:24 »

Thanks again!

This has been the only fix so far. It is like the HHKB twists when it is not laid down and I have to twist it back. Thanks.

You don't want to do this WITH the pcb in there.. because this is is how you crack traces and/or crack solder joins on the horizontally laid components.

For example,  when you twist,   the board will fold diagonally,  any components that are long enough to cross that diagonal gap and are soldered on both ends have a chance of breaking on one side of their solder joints..

NEVER do this. PERIOD...

if you must do it,  take the pcb OUT..

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:09:25 »

Thanks again!

You don't want to do this WITH the pcb in there.. because this is is how you crack traces and/or crack solder joins on the horizontally laid components.

For example,  when you twist,   the board will fold diagonally,  any components that are long enough to cross that diagonal gap and are soldered on both ends have a chance of breaking on one side of their solder joints..

NEVER do this. PERIOD...

if you must do it,  take the pcb OUT..

Thanks for the heads up. That sucks. Literally the only fix I found.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:30:57 »
Arch I really really think you should send the board back to the guy you traded with.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:46:14 »
Arch I really really think you should send the board back to the guy you traded with.

It really isn't worth it. It is a minor flaw and he gave me a REALLY good trade. I traded a TADA68 (plastic case) for it. This HHKB's date is 2016-06 so it is fairly new.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 15:48:28 »

It really isn't worth it. It is a minor flaw and he gave me a REALLY good trade. I traded a TADA68 (plastic case) for it. This HHKB's date is 2016-06 so it is fairly new.

In that case I'd go to Amazon and order a sheet of rubber bumpons. They are something like 5 bucks for 100.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 18:32:08 »
I wont use mine without a desk mat underneath so for all I know mine is super wobbly.
Not gonna check it cause f that ish. desk mat 4lyfe

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:16:16 »
Hey everyone. I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Self-Adhesive-Polyurethane-MADICO-PRO-TEC-TORS/dp/B01HVXPG5C

I got them for 50 cents at my local Staples and they work really great. Thanks for all of the help!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 16:55:08 »
them ****s real good

got some on my LZ
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90