Author Topic: Cutting stems for longer keytravel  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Geroximo

Cutting stems for longer keytravel
« on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 18:16:58 »
Anybody ever thought of that or tried it out?
I'm talking about cutting the end of the stem to increase keytravel. It probably wouldn't work for low profile keycaps as the keycap hitting the switch housing will limit the stroke, but for high profile keycaps it would work, wouldn't it?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: Cutting stems for longer keytravel
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 18:42:45 »
Wouldn't affect anything if you cut the poles off. The part that bottoms out is the internal bottom part "rails" of the slider, not the pole. There's actually a bit of gap at the bottom of the pole.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 19:18:35 »
Wouldn't affect anything if you cut the poles off. The part that bottoms out is the internal bottom part "rails" of the slider, not the pole. There's actually a bit of gap at the bottom of the pole.

ya i thought the poles were just to keep it on straight

i would trust zeal on this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zpcomstock17

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 23:08:29 »

The god of purple switches has spoken!

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 00:18:50 »

The god of purple switches has spoken!

It's super obvious when you've got transparent housing switches to look through.  :rolleyes:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 06:04:52 »

I understand. Thx for the information.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 06:12:08 »
Anybody ever thought of that or tried it out?
I'm talking about cutting the end of the stem to increase keytravel. It probably wouldn't work for low profile keycaps as the keycap hitting the switch housing will limit the stroke, but for high profile keycaps it would work, wouldn't it?

Out of curiosity have you found anything that cut's switch plastic well? I need to trim some stems to get some keycaps to fit.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 05:36:31 »
Out of curiosity have you found anything that cut's switch plastic well? I need to trim some stems to get some keycaps to fit.

Sorry for late reply.
No, I don't have any experience with cutting plastic.