Author Topic: Exclusive Internet access via Cellphone provider?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline dante

Exclusive Internet access via Cellphone provider?
« on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 12:13:40 »
Does anyone here obtain 100% of their Internet through their cellphone provider?  If so what are your experiences?

Note: I am not referring to you obtaining a DSL/Cable Internet with your cellphone provider but using your cellphone as the Internet connection itself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Exclusive Internet access via Cellphone provider?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 12:33:28 »
I spent some time with miners in China..

Very few had web access, but the younger ones did on their cell.

Mostly, they were just playing multiplayer online -chinese poker- (it's very popular in china)

Some used it to hook up with local ------services-------...

But this is a very low income segment.

I'm not sure richer people would be locked to just cell internet.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 15:14:09 »
I dont use my phone exclusivly but i do hook it up to my computer when my house internet is down or if i travel. Generally its as fast if not faster than my home internet for general browsing etc. Data goes quickly though. But i imagine it would be quite different for US internet as your home internet us probebly way faster.

Just got to watch that data usage

Offline iri

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 19:44:44 »
I used to do that with Three in the UK. ISP's in this country are knee deep in late stage capitalism and their contracts are outrageous.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline unoab

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 20:20:32 »
I did this for a few years when I was on a corporate verizon account (read: no throttling, edit: and unlimited data).  There are a few ways you can setup ddwrt/tomato/etc to connect to your phone's hotspot when it is present and serve it to a home network.  I started out with just one router doing the connection and rebroadcasting as my own home SSID, but I had stability issues, so I would recommend what I moved to, which would be a router acting as a wireless client and router for the home network, and then adding an access point to that for rebroadcasting as a home only wireless network as you don't want all your devices connecting directly to your phone wireless hotspot.  It was very stable after moving to a setup like that.

Then you can use one of the phone apps, like tasker or macrodroid, and have it set to turn on your hotspot on in the presence of your home and then off when you leave.

Overall it worked very well and saved a bit each month, the performance was not as consistent as cable, but when it was good it was faster than the connection I have now.  You could also sell this on the idea that your place is more secure when you leave as it is disconnected from the larger scale outside world (anyone local could still get in through the apartment wireless..), but that has its downsides as well (no remote file hosting, remote home automation, etc..).  But it served me well for many years, so I would say it is a viable option if you have a plan that does not have caps or throttling.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:16:54 by unoab »

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 06:08:32 »
My grandmother lives in the sticks with no access to high speed internet service. Just set her up with a 4G hotspot and iPhone with 12GB of shared data... she pays something like $120 a month for this service. It's fast enough for her needs, but she doesn't do anything specifically data intensive (except for the odd YouTube video). I will be surprised if she uses more than 1/3 of her allotment each month. That being said, I assume 12GB would be limiting for you... This plan is through Verizon Wireless, and allows for rolling over of unused data for one month.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 14:56:53 »
My grandmother lives in the sticks with no access to high speed internet service. Just set her up with a 4G hotspot and iPhone with 12GB of shared data... she pays something like $120 a month for this service. It's fast enough for her needs, but she doesn't do anything specifically data intensive (except for the odd YouTube video). I will be surprised if she uses more than 1/3 of her allotment each month. That being said, I assume 12GB would be limiting for you... This plan is through Verizon Wireless, and allows for rolling over of unused data for one month.

If she's barely using it,  is $120 the only option.. that's insane..

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:31:21 »

She had a 5GB plan before that she came close on (thanks to her younger grandchildren, not me hah). That price of course includes the voice minutes/texting/device payment and whatever else. It's $120 for the whole package deal. What the cost is for the 12GB itself, I don't know I guess. But, that's still a good ballpark figure for what you would pay for cellphone-based home internet if you already have a Verizon wireless cellphone (maybe?).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:45:17 »

She had a 5GB plan before that she came close on (thanks to her younger grandchildren, not me hah). That price of course includes the voice minutes/texting/device payment and whatever else. It's $120 for the whole package deal. What the cost is for the 12GB itself, I don't know I guess. But, that's still a good ballpark figure for what you would pay for cellphone-based home internet if you already have a Verizon wireless cellphone (maybe?).

Try the Verizon MVNOs..  they're way cheaper than 120

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 19:08:16 »
I should've mentioned that this Three plan I was talking about is 15 pounds for 1000GB (and minutes, and texts).
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 02:18:07 »
thats what satellite is for!

i tether my jailbroken iphone to my macbook while at work for 50hrs a week. it works great. also use it in the car on trips etc.you will
-Dana

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 11:55:23 »

Hmmm. Interesting options out there for sure! I will have to bring this up with her next time I visit. Thanks for the tip!

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 12:50:50 »

Hmmm. Interesting options out there for sure! I will have to bring this up with her next time I visit. Thanks for the tip!

Haven't seen anyone mention Google's Project Fi. I tether with it when I'm traveling and/or my hotel has spotty-ish wifi. Fantastic speeds even on a work VPN as long as your area has coverage by T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular.

$20 base per month + $10/gb of data used and you get refunded back if you use less than a full gb.

For anyone considering it for international travel - have used it across Europe and South America. Only ran into issues in Cartagena -- Europe speeds were similar to US (rides on Three in the UK). Data same price anywhere in the world.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 14:06:55 »

Haven't seen anyone mention Google's Project Fi. I tether with it when I'm traveling and/or my hotel has spotty-ish wifi. Fantastic speeds even on a work VPN as long as your area has coverage by T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular.

$20 base per month + $10/gb of data used and you get refunded back if you use less than a full gb.

For anyone considering it for international travel - have used it across Europe and South America. Only ran into issues in Cartagena -- Europe speeds were similar to US (rides on Three in the UK). Data same price anywhere in the world.

Yea project fi is great for people who don't use alot of data..

the only thing that's not well explained is just how large is the coverage map with those 3 carriers put together..

coverage maps in general are very misleading.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 02:10:22 »
So its $20+$10 per gig? that seems like a lot, no? I guess if you're just checking email or something but for normal browsing with the occasional youtube video or spotify steaming session i've been hitting 10gigs or more a month just for the few hours a day at work.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 05:33:39 »
So its $20+$10 per gig? that seems like a lot, no? I guess if you're just checking email or something but for normal browsing with the occasional youtube video or spotify steaming session i've been hitting 10gigs or more a month just for the few hours a day at work.

Stop using pr0nhub @ wurk on breaks.... hahahahhaaha

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 22:02:35 »
How else do I stay awake till 11?!
-Dana

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 11:48:48 »

Sounds great for me. I might use my phone as a map on occasion but everything else I do on a phone relies on local storage or call/text. Years ago I unlocked/jailbroke the first iPhone so I could use it with my pay as you carrier and avoid data charges lol. I never use data for some reason :-\

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 12:13:12 »

In my mind, there are definitely a couple subgroups of customers that Project Fi appeals to most as of now -- frequent international travelers and those who live and work with excellent WiFi access (reduced cellular data usage).

I use AT&T on my primary phone (I still like the iPhones... and excellent cell service in my two locations of primary work (NY and CA)), but Project Fi is a fantastic second service for me to avoid exorbitant fees while traveling abroad. When I'm back stateside, I tend to keep the service "Paused" which allows me to retain my number and not pay for service for up 3 months at a time. Re-activation is instant and really only requires access to WiFi.