Author Topic: Cherry vs OEM Profile? Thick PBT Availability in OEM?  (Read 9739 times)

Offline Keytrun

Cherry vs OEM Profile? Thick PBT Availability in OEM?
« on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 02:03:49 »
I'm looking to get either a WASD v2 or a Filco Majestouch 2. Both keyboards are meant for OEM profiled keys, correct? Would it be bad / awkward to put cherry profile keys on one of the aforementioned boards? I'd prefer OEM but I can't really find any thick pbt caps for OEM that look even remotely attractive. Can someone give me some insight as to the differences between the two profiles? I like the shape of the keys that I'm using on my blackwidow, which are OEM so I'd prefer to stick with what I know. Does anyone know why PBT thick caps are more available for cherry profile than oem? Thanks

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Cherry vs OEM Profile? Thick PBT Availability in OEM?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 02:07:49 »
Cherry profile is lower, so the keycaps aren't as tall.  It doesn't really take much getting used to, as the slope is similar, but I find that OEM profile makes switches easier to actuate--less effort.  I still overall prefer Cherry profile in thick PBT keycaps.

If you're going to be replacing all keycaps for a full new set, it doesn't matter which one you pick--both should be fine for WASD and Filco.  It's when you mix and match Cherry profile and OEM profile, there will be height/slope difference that might be awkward and won't look good.

(And yes, they come with "OEM" profile keycaps by default).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 02:13:29 »
So you prefer cherry profile even though OEM are easier to actuate? One of the reason I wanted to get OEM is because I bought a few custom key caps (zerg / protoss / terran / horde / alliance) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zerg-PBT-R4-Cherry-MX-Keycap-/331043013376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d13b38300 If I put them on a different area of the board, like where ins / home / page up / del / end / page down are - how odd will it look having taller keys on one side of the board than the other? Or is it only noticeable when they're next to eachother?

Also, when replacing the keys for the costar stabilizers will I need to regreese anything or should it be fine?

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 02:30:44 »
So you prefer cherry profile even though OEM are easier to actuate? One of the reason I wanted to get OEM is because I bought a few custom key caps (zerg / protoss / terran / horde / alliance) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zerg-PBT-R4-Cherry-MX-Keycap-/331043013376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d13b38300 If I put them on a different area of the board, like where ins / home / page up / del / end / page down are - how odd will it look having taller keys on one side of the board than the other? Or is it only noticeable when they're next to eachother?

Also, when replacing the keys for the costar stabilizers will I need to regreese anything or should it be fine?

Gonna look pretty weird, IMO.

It might still look alright if you install the keycaps on the function row

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 02:35:54 »
Hrm, those say "OEM" height, which should then be close to the standard keycap height on a Filco or WASD.  If you get a Cherry profile keycap set (or Signature Plastic's DSC profile), you fill see the difference in height.  It's not dramatic, but it's still noticeable.  Here's a sample comparison to give you an idea of the average height difference:

Also, page up and page down are not the same profile.  Page up and Pause are the same profile (function row and number row), but page down is already of the QWERTY profile row, which is lower. So if you use those caps for Delete/End/Page Down, they won't match any normal profile distribution.  Keep them for your function row and number row positions.

Overall profile preferences are purely personal--you'll have to try them yourself.  It's also dependent on switches you use them with--some can feel more "right" with one switch and wrong with another switch. 

Thick PBT OEM height caps here--might still be able to order:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48932.0

- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 08:37:43 »
I've personally tried both and in the end I like thick OEM profile PBT the best.  While Cherry profile is not bad but row 2 and 3 (middle 2) feels too flat and shallow for my liking.

Only problem is that there isn't too many OEM thick PBT available at the moment.  Just the Ducky ones, stock Poker II and Vortex ones.

But I'm waiting for the 2 tone Vortex ones now.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 08:38:58 »
I've personally tried both and in the end I like thick OEM profile PBT the best.  While Cherry profile is not bad but row 2 and 3 (middle 2) feels too flat and shallow for my liking.

Only problem is that there isn't too many OEM thick PBT available at the moment.  Just the Ducky ones, stock Poker II and Vortex ones.

which 2 tone vortex.

Offline Austin Powers

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 10:18:00 »

which 2 tone vortex.

Probably something like this

As in, 2 combo(inverted colours) in 1set I suppose.

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 10:37:33 »
everyone knows that cherry is where its at. :cool:
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline thoere

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 23:18:25 »
 If manufacturers made keys all in cherry profile, it would be way better to have cherry profile. OEM is nice because of cross-compatibility between sets.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 06:04:04 »
If manufacturers made keys all in cherry profile, it would be way better to have cherry profile. OEM is nice because of cross-compatibility between sets.

Only use cherry profile.... problem solved :P