Author Topic: What do you want right now?  (Read 25117 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: What do you want right now?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:10:31 »
AFAIK, the two main downsides to fixies are turns and the different pedalling technique considering you can't "pulse".  But if you can handle those things then you'll be golden.  Single speeds are awesome, and I've long considered picking up a fixie - just not sure if I need one at this point.  :)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:13:09 »
AFAIK, the two main downsides to fixies are turns and the different pedalling technique considering you can't "pulse".  But if you can handle those things then you'll be golden.  Single speeds are awesome, and I've long considered picking up a fixie - just not sure if I need one at this point.  :)

Why are turns harder than another bike? I mean, maybe VS a BMX, but compared to a 10 speed or something similar it should be quite the same except that you need to keep pedaling whatever happens instead of coasting.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:20:24 »

Why are turns harder than another bike? I mean, maybe VS a BMX, but compared to a 10 speed or something similar it should be quite the same except that you need to keep pedaling whatever happens instead of coasting.

That's the problem.  If you tip as you turn and catch the downstroke of the pedal at the lowest point in the turn your pedal can hit the ground.  It's either a harmless jarring or can sometimes be problematic.  You get used to it and learn to adapt, but it's a little awkward at first.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:21:40 »

That's the problem.  If you tip as you turn and catch the downstroke of the pedal at the lowest point in the turn your pedal can hit the ground.  It's either a harmless jarring or can sometimes be problematic.  You get used to it and learn to adapt, but it's a little awkward at first.

Ah I see, will keep that in mind! At worst, I'll use it 1 speed if fixed is problematic anyway.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:23:55 »
A job. This week I interviewed with a guy whose little brother went to the KeyCon in Chicago last fall. Small world.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:30:09 »

That is a problem with conversion bikes (tenspeeds with fixed hub) because the bottom bracket is much lower, made this way for comfort over longer rides. Track geometry is made with higher bottom bracket do to making hard corners (velodromes) and having to pedal constantly! That bike above has a higher bottom bracket, if you clip a pedal on that you're about to crash anyway  :p

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:35:34 »
I want Alps novelty keys and keycap sets.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 13:46:54 »

That is a problem with conversion bikes (tenspeeds with fixed hub) because the bottom bracket is much lower, made this way for comfort over longer rides. Track geometry is made with higher bottom bracket do to making hard corners (velodromes) and having to pedal constantly! That bike above has a higher bottom bracket, if you clip a pedal on that you're about to crash anyway  :p

Oh!  TIL.  I am not an expert, BTW, just someone that's into bikes.   :p  In that case, nevermind.  The only thing to be aware of is the different pacing of pedaling, but that's so minor it's not even a concern - just something different.  So yay!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:37:59 »

Oh!  TIL.  I am not an expert, BTW, just someone that's into bikes.   :p  In that case, nevermind.  The only thing to be aware of is the different pacing of pedaling, but that's so minor it's not even a concern - just something different.  So yay!
I got bike knowledge, COME AT ME HOFF!!!
*flexes
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:39:46 »
I got bike knowledge, COME AT ME HOFF!!!
*flexes

* HoffmanMyster cowers   :'(

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:03:20 »
A liquid cooler for my CPU. The stock fan is loud as balls and a liquid cooler would quiet it down a lot. Particularity the Corsair H60.

Poker II

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:08:47 »
A click clack.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:09:45 »
I want to go home and see if this RCA boombox with a cassette player my boss gave me works. What I'm going to do is go and be treated rudely while trying to pay money for a car :(.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 15:11:39 »
I want a Cuban sandwich... but there is no where in this town that makes them! Not sure if I want to make a several hour affair to roast the pork Cuban mojo style and bake some proper bread for the sake of having a sandwich. But, I have been craving one for days at least.

JPG, I think you would be happier with a normal track/single speed over a fixie in the long run. Fixed can do some cool things like riding backwards or good for skid moves but have more drawbacks for normal riding probably since you have to keep constant motion you will get tired sooner.
Counter to some people I would advise against strapping your feet into the pedals. To me they have always been a recipe for disaster if needing to come to abrupt emergency stops unless you enjoy falling over on your side when you can't get your foot out fast enough.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:55:41 »
Still want my life size muzi plushie
I love Elzy

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 20:07:10 »
I want to be done moving.  I am so over packing.  Tomorrow is the big push (truck rental), but it still feels overwhelming. 

Light at the end of the tunnel = my own office/gaming room/man cave  :thumb:

Oh, and I also agree with Grim  ;D
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 20:12:38 »
I want to be done moving.  I am so over packing.  Tomorrow is the big push (truck rental), but it still feels overwhelming. 

That is until your wife decides to put a painting in your cave..

Then she slowly infests using creep tumors.. and before you know it... there's potpourri in a glass bowl next to the window...

And you are relegated to the corner...

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 20:14:31 »

Then she slowly infests using creep tumors.. and before you know it... there's potpourri in a glass bowl next to the window...

Show Image

No worries there as I am the one with all the art.  I even have 2 large framed sets of series 1 and 2 Garbage Pail Kids that I will be hanging up  ;D
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 20:16:09 »

Show Image

No worries there as I am the one with all the art.  I even have 2 large framed sets of series 1 and 2 Garbage Pail Kids that I will be hanging up  ;D

On the defense s'all

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 02:50:16 »
I want more self-control.

Just pulled the trigger on a 55g Realforce from EK because I was afraid I wouldn't see it in stock again for months or even years : [
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:11:43 »
To not be so indecisive when it comes to my keyboard choices.

I went ahead and bought a HHKB, got it last week and enjoyed for it a week, switched back to my MX red for a few hours and since coming back to my HHKB, I'm just not enjoying it as much anymore. :(

fml.
你搞砸了

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:32:37 »

Just pulled the trigger on a 55g Realforce from EK because I was afraid I wouldn't see it in stock again for months or even years : [
which color did you go for? i am also thinking about getting one... sigh...

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:35:52 »

Got black because my Type-S is white haha. Otherwise, I think I would have gone for white since it looks so damn clean.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:37:10 »

Got black because my Type-S is white haha. Otherwise, I think I would have gone for white since it looks so damn clean.
I really wish they made black Type-S :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:53:51 »
To not be so indecisive when it comes to my keyboard choices.

I went ahead and bought a HHKB, got it last week and enjoyed for it a week, switched back to my MX red for a few hours and since coming back to my HHKB, I'm just not enjoying it as much anymore. :(

fml.

Give it more time. Use it exclusively for a month. Get used to the layout. The beauty of where Control is located, where the backspace is located. The logical placement of the cursor arrows on the function layer. Then try to use your other keyboard(s).

The feeling of oneness with cup rubber will grow on you, like a fungus. At first you will think, why am I using this? They are just rubber domes. Then you will get used to typing on them. Then you will find yourself actually sorta liking the feeling. I know, it's strange to go from a cheap rubberdome, to MX with its purely mechanical feel, and then finding yourself getting comfortable with using what amounts to a fancy rubberdome again. But that's how it happens. And that layout seals the deal.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dante

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 12:15:58 »

Ignoring a 87 55g: Easy.

Ignoring a 104 55g: Hard! (Thankfully they don't produce it.)

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 01:56:03 »

Ignoring a 87 55g: Easy.

Ignoring a 104 55g: Hard! (Thankfully they don't produce it.)

I'm the opposite haha. I'd rather have a detachable numpad and keep it somewhere on the left of my keyboard.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 06:22:16 »
UGH I WANT A DUCK VIPER WITH VINTAGE BLACKS SO BAD . KDKEBEKWLAODBDBRKFOFIHXBSKWOENDNFIRKRNND I CAN'T CONTAIN MYSELF. c u in my dreams : ' [
diary of a clacktalk

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 06:34:40 »
i want clacktalk
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline joey

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 06:37:22 »
I want... for it to be time to leave work and go home.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 08:17:17 »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 08:50:12 »
I want Cherry to improve their stem smoothness, switch to using 62g springs exclusively and offer their switches directly to the publlic in batches of 200 or so....

Just the Clears will make me happy.

And of course, world peace.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 08:54:20 »
I want the ability to integrate chloroplast into my cells, and photosynthesize..

That would be awesome.. 

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:13:23 »
I want some Keydets that don't suck big time.

Pre cursor to that: I want some money so that I can buy keysets that don't suck.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #184 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:14:45 »
A house please. I'm almost there  :-X
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:18:10 »
I want the ability to integrate chloroplast into my cells, and photosynthesize..

That would be awesome.. 

but at what cost???

if such a thing were possibly, i'm sure it would require you to become more plantlike, meaning you'd need cell walls... meaning you'd become a human plant, unable to move...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:23:09 »
Dominos to open...
I love Elzy

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 10:07:01 »
Dominos to open...
Now I want a nice North American pizza.....
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 12:22:32 »

That would be awesome.. 

but at what cost???

if such a thing were possibly, i'm sure it would require you to become more plantlike, meaning you'd need cell walls... meaning you'd become a human plant, unable to move...

No?  I would just become like Piccolo..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:10:29 »
I want CC to get better.

Not so he can continue Radnelac, but just because he's a nice GHer :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
diary of a clacktalk

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:09:41 »
I want clacktalk to stop being a beyoooootch
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:34:52 »
I want demik to be the little spoon.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:17:56 »

And I want demik to be the big spoon for once.

Maybe we make a spoon sandwich?  Best of both worlds?

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #194 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:19:40 »
In-N-Out, but I would settle for some 5 guys.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:23:37 »

Maybe a spoon :circle:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #196 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:27:47 »

YOU THINKING WHAT IM THINKING?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:34:20 »
I want some mint choc chip ice cream. 

It's 00:30 so I'm going to bed instead :(
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:39:02 »
In-N-Out, but I would settle for some 5 guys.

I love how both those chains sound sexual.

YOU THINKING WHAT IM THINKING?

Show Image

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #199 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:44:55 »
nubs, your googlefu is impressive.