Author Topic: mem'bur'2000s internet ?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
mem'bur'2000s internet ?
« on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 13:23:14 »
First wave of broadband,  using Napster @ 700KB/s felt like Lightning.

Nowadays, you get 13MB/s and it's like, what is this the dark ages ?

Fios Gigabit is gud' ~100MB/s peak,    But then dem'Koreans haz 10Gigabit ~ 1100Megabyte/s 1.1GB/s

Korea draws Gigabit @ $20 a month
USA Fios Gbit ~$100 a month

257126-0

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Re: mem'bur'2000s internet ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 14:41:29 »
For the majority of my childhood and my teenage years I only ever remember having anywhere from 100 to maybe 350kbs.

We didn’t have much, but for Christs sake we were happy back then!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:53:42 »
For my job I had to upload small handfuls of photos and drawings that were up 1MB-2MB (each) in size. Although I lived in a relatively close-in, modern suburb of a major city, my connection was awful until maybe somewhere around 2006-2007. It was dial-up until the mid-late-1990s and then very poor DSL after.

Eventually I got into the habit of starting uploads before going to bed, and hoping that there were no glitches in the middle of the night.

Also, as I remember, my upload speed was a small fraction of my download speed.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 12:23:40 »
I had 56k AOL dial-up until 2005 or so.

When I visited my brother who had cable circa 2001, I recall it was even slower, but he and all his housemates were probably running a bunch of torrents slowing everything down. I also remember having a hard time playing Delta Force 2 at his house because I was used to leading targets by three or four inches on the screen, but I only needed maybe a quarter inch at most of lead when playing at his house.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 13:27:18 »
still only got 100kb/s at my father's house, and "only" 1.5 Mb/s at my place (feels crazy fast in comparison) he pays about 39 euros/month and i pay 20 although he does have a phone line and i don't, but i got 24h support and i can get fixed IP if i need to :) so overall i think it is a decent deal, for France i mean. you mericans and asians with your crazy speeds, the maximum i could have gotten here is 20Mb/s for 60 euros/month and coming from 100kb and living alone i though it was a tiny bit overkill. (oh and all those numbers are for the down on asymmetric lines so get a tenth on the up)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 20:43:48 »
My household were very early internet adopters, I believe we got our 56k setup in '92. I was young and don't remember much of it then. It couldn't play games so I didn't care. Needless to say the fam was on top of broadband as soon as it was commercially available. I strongly feel we had broadband as early as '98 because we made a big move the next year and my parents were complaining the new place wouldn't have it for a few months.

There were certinally a lot more text based sites back then. Viruses were rampant, like it was almost guaranteed anything you downloaded in 2000 had a virus of some kind. Things really started to change around '03/04 in terms of content saturation, directly due to the spread of broadband around that time. I think I remember cable companies forcing it like HD tv, offering free upgrades etc to get all the customers using the same tech. I remember a friend received an inconvenience cost on his bill for still using broadband in '06.