Author Topic: What happens if winter is super cold ?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
What happens if winter is super cold ?
« on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 08:07:57 »
It's already been really cold for august.

Hasn't been super cold for ~20 years.

Don't even remember what happens ?

Does anyone remember ?

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
Re: What happens if winter is super cold ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 08:40:21 »
It would be the final nail in the coffin for those Asian stink bugs.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 08:44:37 »
It is hard to generalize. With the circumpolar vortex ( https://www.noaa.gov/multimedia/infographic/science-behind-polar-vortex-you-might-want-to-put-on-sweater ) completely destabilized, there will be wild swings and what used to be weather "patterns" might not be very predictable.

Living in the Southeast, traveling between East Tennessee and North Georgia this year, I saw a very warm March followed by a very cool April for example, and the summer has been generally "hot" but not record-breakingly so. We have not seen 100F/38C in either Atlanta or Knoxville this summer (although it got very close), but I understand that those temperatures were recorded above the Arctic Circle for the first time. Wow.

One of the biggest consequences may be to plant and animal species that have been "marching" northward for decades to take advantage of (or escape from) global warming. We would all be glad to see mosquitos and termites killed off, but many valuable plants may not make it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 12:47:50 »
It’s been consistently 30 degrees and more over here in Germany, and I haven’t met one person who didn’t complain about it. I personally cannot stand warm weather, and anything above 21 degrees or so makes me uncomfortable. And on top this warm weather prevents me from wearing my suits and ties, which is what I usually like to wear. I’m afraid I would die if I did that, and my shirts would have to go to the dry cleaner after wearing them for a day.

I am most happy around 18 degrees with low humidity and a steady wind going, rain I don’t mind either except for it ruins nice shoes and soils my slacks. Winter is my favorite season. If this winter will be super cold, I will be a very happy man. I complain about every season, but never a proper winter.

The only winter I complain about is one that is not cold. The last winter we had was more like a prolonged autumn, it never froze, no snow and it never got ablow 0 degrees. Hated it.   

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 12:59:37 »
Then winter is super cold. I'm used to the worst weather, im in canada.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 12:39:38 »
Worst?  Surely you just grab a nice coat and some skis and call it good, that's what I'd do if we had proper winters.  Here if there are more than a couple of inches of snow planes are grounded, main roads reduced to a single lane, schools and workplaces closed... basically a national emergency is called.  It's pathetic.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DarwinH

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 13:55:14 »
Well, I'm not sure what you are referring to. A super cold winter will probably affect everything, I think. But if you are wondering what it does to us humans specifically, aside from the obvious discomfort when you don't dress well and go outside, there is the issue of catching colds more often. Another impact of cold weather is the toll it takes on indoor air. Humidity levels are known to drop severely when winter comes, this is generally valid for all areas that have winter. So you will feel your lips cracking and throat dry more than you did in the past years. I've seen about two or three harsh winters in the past years, and each time I was mostly cold, until a friend opened up my eyes about humidifiers. Put one in the bedroom I think about 5 years ago, only use it when it gets cold, and I'm in the clear. If you were wondering about the health impacts of cold weather, this is it pretty much - chances of hypothermia, predisposition to colds because the immune system isn't as efficient and germs and bacteria are more likely to attack successfully, and humidity loss indoors that doesn't help your case against the flu.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323431
https://www.optimainstitute.com/humidifiers/ultrasonic.html
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-extremely-cold-weather-can-affect-your-health#1

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 20:32:08 »
Worst?  Surely you just grab a nice coat and some skis and call it good, that's what I'd do if we had proper winters.  Here if there are more than a couple of inches of snow planes are grounded, main roads reduced to a single lane, schools and workplaces closed... basically a national emergency is called.  It's pathetic.

Theres only been a couple of snowdays in my life

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 13:05:20 »
I would be happy to have a super cold winter, means I can push my OC's further and get better scores on HWBot lol.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 03:31:18 »

I love weather in Canada. My dream is to move there. Like Calgary :)

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 10:44:57 »

Theres only been a couple of snowdays in my life

That sucks. I don't live far enough north to have experienced a ton of them myself, but I do remember getting at least three days in a row off around 9th grade because of snow along with a few other times I don't distinctly remember. I actually got a snow day from work earlier this year pre-covid, which had never happened before. Of course, there was also the ice storm of December 2007 that ended the Fall semester of college early IIRC because the ground was 100% tree limbs. I can't remember if the sleet storm in January 2007 caused anything to be canceled.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 01:58:22 »
favorite thing about cold winters, trying to drive my car on snow, it is not a fast car so i can never "drift" otherwise :) and where i live everyone is scared of snow more than the corona so no one on the roads
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 02:04:19 »
Let's be real, Earth could use a good 'ol fashioned Ice Age.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 02:21:21 »
It's already been really cold for august.

Hasn't been super cold for ~20 years.

Don't even remember what happens ?

Does anyone remember ?

Generally, when it's cold, you freeze.

Offline Caleb23

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:16:29 »
Well maybe a final stage for 2020?
Like white walkers come and finish us all once for all  :))

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 08:18:38 »

Does anyone remember ?

I lived in the Atlanta, Georgia, area for the past few decades and my recollection is that while there have been various colder-than-usual spells, it has generally been warmer in the winter, particularly since the turn of the century.

With the circumpolar vortex now destabilized, bizarre events will only continue to become more common.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"