Author Topic: Do you keep still music cd's?  (Read 7400 times)

Offline yester64

Do you keep still music cd's?
« on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:24:35 »
I wonder sometimes. We are living in a modern age where old devices become so irrelevant over time.
Before i collected vinyl, but now there are gone, at least mainstream.
Then came the CD and now most of the music is streamed or on some devices. Besides there is not often something special in the cd like a big booklet or some crazy cover like you got sometimes on vinyl with ripple printing or pink vinyl.
So i conclude that a cd is actually not really worth keeping. Well, perhaps it is.
To be honest i can not even hear anymore any difference between a cd and a mp3 file. My hearing is not that good anymore.
So in the end i wonder if somebody else made the switch to storage only media like harddrive or even just cloud.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Do you keep still music cd's?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:30:20 »
Vinyl yes, CDs no :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:33:07 »
As yourself

Do you listen to Music

or

Do you listen to Sound Equipment

CDs are only relevant if you're the latter :D

Offline yester64

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:35:38 »
Gee, i don't even have a stereo. Only car stereo and computer... thats it.. lol

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:40:39 »
Never got into vinyl. I have a couple cds in the car.
There should be a car that can read hard drives and play them.
SmallFry! <3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:43:15 »
I think for music, beyond the $600 mark, you're really wasting money..

this budget should includes DAC, amp, speaker, woofer

Lets say you can achieve perfect playback...

WHO guarantees perfect recording... <---- this is the biggest bottleneck to investing in hifi.. in which NO AMOUNT of money can fix.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:44:49 »
Never got into vinyl. I have a couple cds in the car.
There should be a car that can read hard drives and play them.

people buy vinyl for the coloration and limited frequency response.  It basically greatly simplifies the stream, making it easier on the brain to decode and process.   

Objectively, this makes the music worse and less accurately reproduced.

Subjectively though, it frees up your mind to enjoy the "ambiance" and "emotions" that the music instigates.

Same thing with the vacuum tubes

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:49:06 »
I wish I collected mine. I didn't know how important music was gonna be to me.

Been thinking about starting up a vinyl collection and grabbing an 12" player.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:49:41 »
I've got plenty of CDs! I love having them. :)
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:50:23 »
Interesting... maybe someday ill try some for myself.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 21:03:27 »
No stereo, TV, or DVD player...
My car radio only has Aux, USB, and Sdcard support.

If I need to read a disk, I either have to hook up a USB model, or use the one laptop I have that still actually has one. All my media, and associated equipment is stored away in the basement.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 21:16:41 »
Still have all my CD's somewhere, not like they take up much space unless you keep them in jewel cases. I should probably toss my cassette tapes though  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 21:22:53 »
I still have my old CDs, but they are all ripped onto my server.

All new music comes from online.

At the moment I just haven't bothered researching how to get online the music I have on CDs without having to pay for it again, so I keep the CDs to rip again in case the storage dies.  Stuff purchased online I can just download again.

And my ex-wife managed to dispose of all my vinyl many years ago.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 21:33:57 »
I actually just picked up my first, non gift, audio CD ever(or at least in the last 10 or so years).

It was a tour only live CD and a release of only 500 so I snapped it up at the show.
I had to use my PlayStation to play the damn thing :P

Offline yester64

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 21:40:36 »
I have to admit that i sold all my vinyls a long time ago.(it was dumb) About 20 years ago to precise. Thing is, at the time i did not realize that vinyls are actually the better part of music. Memories and a different listening.
Now i have some cd's and mostly out of nostalgia i bought some of them again (previously as lp). But now i question myself if there is even a point in it.
Before i had a big cardbox with lyrics on it. Now its so tiny and sometimes looks like just printed in a fit to space attire. So its hard to read sometimes.
I feel there is little benefit beside the better quality (which i can not even really distinguish.
I think i will buy music only as download now. Its just makes more sense.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 21:42:20 »
I actually just picked up my first, non gift, audio CD ever(or at least in the last 10 or so years).

It was a tour only live CD and a release of only 500 so I snapped it up at the show.
I had to use my PlayStation to play the damn thing :P

You should use a Dreamcast, it has a more powerful audio processor, AND better output.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 21:57:00 »
I listen to cd's all the time in my vehicle!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 00:03:22 »
No, I mainly have everything at >256kbps MP3s. But lately I've been hearing the MP3 crappiness. And that sucks, because it basically means my whole music collection is ruined, and I have to re-encode from the CDs in a different format. And I don't really have that many CDs :(

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 00:11:05 »
I mostly buy the cd, as i like to physically have something in my hand.  If the music is cheaper to purchase via itunes though, I go that route.  I have boxes of cds in the attic in the event of catastrophic hdd failure. (fingers crossed).  I have like 17days worth of music on my itunes.  Only a couple albums were actually purchased on itunes, and I shudder to think about how long it would take to re rip it. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 01:16:49 »
I have a whole lot of CDs and vinyl. I still regularly buy CDs too, having the physical thing is more enjoyable and sometimes cheaper than paying for the download.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 01:46:56 »
CD audio is 2 channels of 16k at 44.1kHz. Nowadays people are recording at higher bit rates than this and compact disk is not capable of being any higher. So regardless of if the original recordings are higher quality, the moment it is put on CD it goes back down to 16k/44.1kHz. This is called lossy data compression. If you want to hear what this compression sounds like just listen to music on YouTube, specifically higher frequency elements such as cymbal crashes and high-hats. You tube compresses already compressed files so you can really hear the degradation. That being said, mp3 files are worse than CD as far as quality goes. If you want to retain the quality you need to use a larger file format such as WAV or AAC (also known as mp4) but even these formats will only result in "near cd" quality. Since storage space on hard drives are getting better and better, file size is becoming less of an issue so the future for music is looking good.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 02:36:05 »
I still like to buy CDs, but then again I live in Norway where the only real digital alternative I've found is the iTunes store, which I'm not a big fan of. I'm not a big fan of streaming either because I like being able to buy my music and then decide what I do with it and which devices I put it on.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 02:44:33 »
CD audio is 2 channels of 16k at 44.1kHz. Nowadays people are recording at higher bit rates than this and compact disk is not capable of being any higher. So regardless of if the original recordings are higher quality, the moment it is put on CD it goes back down to 16k/44.1kHz. This is called lossy data compression. If you want to hear what this compression sounds like just listen to music on YouTube, specifically higher frequency elements such as cymbal crashes and high-hats. You tube compresses already compressed files so you can really hear the degradation. That being said, mp3 files are worse than CD as far as quality goes. If you want to retain the quality you need to use a larger file format such as WAV or AAC (also known as mp4) but even these formats will only result in "near cd" quality. Since storage space on hard drives are getting better and better, file size is becoming less of an issue so the future for music is looking good.

LOL we got an equipment freak over here. :D

No matter how large you make your digital file, you are approximating something with infinite complexity, which is why there is no replacement for live"

Should we develop better equipment, the answer is up until a POINT, where the cost exceeds our ability to discern.

Where the problem occurs is, when the COST to discern, is greater than the cost of "enjoyment".

This is where the audiophiles usually end up, when they spend more resources listening to their "EQUIPMENT", rather than the music being played, which is a corruption of the original PURPOSE of the music...

NOW,, if you want to argue the engineering perspective, sure, bigger numbers = great..

But, please take a step back when you tell people 16bits/44k is "not enough"

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 02:46:34 »
Nope, I don't even have an optical drive installed in my computer or on my laptop
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 02:49:40 »
I still have old ones. But they are all in storage somewhere.

Nowadays having your music in digital format is just that much more convenient.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 03:40:36 »
As a child of the 80s, I always appreciated having a hard copy of my media once I migrated to digital formats in the early 2000s.  I would buy CDs and convert them to mp3s, and eventually to FLAC as I do now.  I always appreciated having those hard copies to fall back on in the case of a data wipe.  That being said, I now have audio equipment that shows the difference between 24bit/96kHz and downsampled 16bit/44kHz CD quality sound, and I appreciate being able to download studio quality FLACs from artists' websites these days.  The sound quality difference makes it worth the hard copy sacrifice, IMO!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 03:41:06 »
There's no point in using anything "better" than 320kbit/s MP3. Human brain can't process more information (tested e.g. here), lossless formats usually take at least about four times more space and MP3s are supported almost everywhere (and we (outside the US or Japan) don't have to worry about licensing either).

However, I do have plenty of old CDs, cassettes and vinyls around, and I want to start collecting vinyls again.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 04:10:50 »

LOL we got an equipment freak over here. :D

No matter how large you make your digital file, you are approximating something with infinite complexity, which is why there is no replacement for live"

Should we develop better equipment, the answer is up until a POINT, where the cost exceeds our ability to discern.

Where the problem occurs is, when the COST to discern, is greater than the cost of "enjoyment".

This is where the audiophiles usually end up, when they spend more resources listening to their "EQUIPMENT", rather than the music being played, which is a corruption of the original PURPOSE of the music...

NOW,, if you want to argue the engineering perspective, sure, bigger numbers = great..

But, please take a step back when you tell people 16bits/44k is "not enough"
Oh I'm all for 16bit/44.1kHz. I think you misunderstood me. I'm not an equipment freak I just went to school for audio production and sound engineering so I come from purely an engineering perspective. In fact I don't even own a sound system other than my recording rig. just think its worth noting that newer (mp3) is not better as some people might naturally assume. Unless of course you are judging "better" based on convenience.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 04:18:51 »
One thing that makes me laugh is the number of people you come across who race about how much better lossless file types are and how only the clueless use mp3's etc.. When the vast majority of them use onboard sound cards lol

As much as I love having my entire music collection a click or two away having a proper hifi system is so nice, if forced to choose between mp3s and CDs I'd go with CDs everytime

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 04:43:40 »
One thing that makes me laugh is the number of people you come across who race about how much better lossless file types are and how only the clueless use mp3's etc.. When the vast majority of them use onboard sound cards lol

As much as I love having my entire music collection a click or two away having a proper hifi system is so nice, if forced to choose between mp3s and CDs I'd go with CDs everytime
What I find funny is when people make a point of telling you the high bit rate they recorded with while showing you their material on compact disk therefore rendering their high bit rates useless. But as a sound engineer of sorts, I will always record at the highest rate I can for future formats. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 04:51:17 »
Nothing beats cracking open up a new CD, popping it in the player and having a mosh. When you rip CDs, the quality is superb too, which is a bonus.

Offline mauri

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:04:40 »
Thing is, most music I listen is never made into cds. I can count every cd I've bought with one hand : D
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:12:41 »
Thing is, most music I listen is never made into cds. I can count every cd I've bought with one hand : D

this probably means your taste in music sux.. :D

For example, Most of the old movies I like made it to DVD, then Bray.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:15:15 »

Thats probably true! Most metalheads keep CDs, I think they are one the few remaining people who actually buy CDs.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:22:00 »

Thats probably true! Most metalheads keep CDs, I think they are one the few remaining people who actually buy CDs.

Here's my confusion on that...

Given that the METAL genre has a great deal of "intentional" distortion... How worthwhile is preserving it on hifi..

This is a case where you'd have to discern Intended distortion from un-intended distortion.

Also, with how loud metal-crowds listen to their music, many have hearing damage.

So we have,  distortion intended+ un-intended + hearing damaged people...

Where does Hifi come into this... :D

Mp3 is more than enough.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:23:19 »

What I find funny is when people make a point of telling you the high bit rate they recorded with while showing you their material on compact disk therefore rendering their high bit rates useless. But as a sound engineer of sorts, I will always record at the highest rate I can for future formats. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Yeah, when Random Access Memories leaked I got people sending me links to higher (slightly) bitrate versions because 128kbs was just 'horrible' etc but on my PC set up I couldn't tell much if any diffrence between them... Sure my vinyl sounds alot nicer, but that's thanks to my amp and hifi speakers mostly lol

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:27:49 »

Yeah, when Random Access Memories leaked I got people sending me links to higher (slightly) bitrate versions because 128kbs was just 'horrible' etc but on my PC set up I couldn't tell much if any diffrence between them... Sure my vinyl sounds alot nicer, but that's thanks to my amp and hifi speakers mostly lol
Some people just don't get it. Personally I find it torture to listen to anything on YouTube. I love that new daft punk album by the way. 

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:37:51 »
Yeah, I tend not to use YouTube for anything other than sampling, which makes the audio Q less important (like beat ports system), but just find it a pain to listen to anything properly on it because of the way it's set up

And yeah I'm in love with RAM, got the Japanese version arriving today ^^ dat bonus track!
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:39:38 by baldgye »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:40:07 »

Some people just don't get it. Personally I find it torture to listen to anything on YouTube. I love that new daft punk album by the way. 

You find it torture, but this has been purely a personal choice..

You made it a point to be an "audio-engineer", you've trained yourself to discern good vs bad recording.. So you've already doomed yourself from every returning to the reality of the untainted audience..

That is to say, you'll never enjoy music as music ever again...  biting into the fruit of knowledge (of sound) screwed music for you FOREVER...

:D

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 05:45:14 »

Here's my confusion on that...

Given that the METAL genre has a great deal of "intentional" distortion... How worthwhile is preserving it on hifi..

This is a case where you'd have to discern Intended distortion from un-intended distortion.

Also, with how loud metal-crowds listen to their music, many have hearing damage.

So we have,  distortion intended+ un-intended + hearing damaged people...

Where does Hifi come into this... :D

Mp3 is more than enough.

Not true, especially with modern metal/ 'djent.' There is no way you can pick up all the nuances in modering tech metal in MP3 format. I consider my self an audiophile and I listen to 95% metal.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 06:02:58 »
I don't think you can really consider yourself an audiophile unless/untill you've justified spending £20,000+ on hifi equipment lol :P

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 06:05:48 »
Vinyl yes, CDs no :)
Pretty much this, unless the band i want to support does not have vinyls. Then i buy the CD ;D
What the hell am I even doing

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 06:10:36 »

You find it torture, but this has been purely a personal choice..

You made it a point to be an "audio-engineer", you've trained yourself to discern good vs bad recording.. So you've already doomed yourself from every returning to the reality of the untainted audience..

That is to say, you'll never enjoy music as music ever again...  biting into the fruit of knowledge (of sound) screwed music for you FOREVER...

:D
This is exactly right. I can't listen to music now without trying to determine what types of reverbs/delays etc. they use in the process. What mics did they use? How did they get that kick drum sound? Oh **** that hi hat is a little loud. Why didn't they do this or that. It is both a blessing and a curse in that I hear good things that some other people may not hear and know how they did it, but also I hear some of the unwanted bits like edits here and there etc. But it's really rewarding when you listen to an album that's just put together so flawlessly.

Offline mauri

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 06:57:00 »

EDM is mostly remixes, and quite frankly I haven't seen any edm artists' cds : D Also there are like one or two albums in the world that I want to actually listen cover to cover.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 07:56:00 »

I haven't seen any edm artists' cds : D

I've got loads lol

Offline yester64

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:32:28 »
Actually, i tried to get Space Night 2 & 3 and can not get it anymore. Very sad. Out of print. You will not even find them anymore on ebay and if for a hefty price.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:47:38 »
Nothing beats cracking open up a new CD, popping it in the player and having a mosh. When you rip CDs, the quality is superb too, which is a bonus.

Nothing beats pulling the LP off the shelf, removing the full-size cardboard jacket from its protective sleeve, placing the LP on the turntable, and setting the stylus just at the opening groove.

I probably have 1K LPs and twice that many CDs, and consider the LPs to be "permanent" and the CDs "temporary" - maybe a couple of decades at most.

A few years ago, my sister asked me to rip our family's favorite Christmas LPs (about half a dozen from the 1950s-60s). The one that we played the most, year after year, was an old mono LP dated 1955. It has been played hundreds of times on horrible equipment, yet it played straight through without a skip and with minimal surface noise. I was astonished, but gratified that such ancient media could perform so well after half a century.

Try that in the year 2050 with a CD.

Besides, I believe that since sound waves, all real musical instruments, and the human ear are 100% analog phenomenon, a mechanical analog storage and reproduction system makes the most sense.

And no, I don't have all tube amplifiers, but I would like to, one day. My 2 record-playing rigs are mid-grade 1980s gear, in excellent condition.

Having said all that, I love to be able to sit at my computer and listen to any of my music in seconds, through my high-end sound card and multi-speaker rig with decent woofer.

And, in case you are wondering, my collection revolves around 1950s-60s-70s jazz and rock, mostly progressive, psychedelic, and avant-garde, with a fair amount of modern classical and blues tossed in for good measure. I have almost no music after about 1990, and virtually everything is also in .MP3 format.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:54:34 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:56:03 »
No more media formats. I'm either on hard drive, flash, or streaming, and if I can get myself organized...just keep my 700 gigs in the cloud.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:57:43 »
yeah, just went to go buy daft punk's new album last week. best buy isnt what it used to be. the internet has really put it in their butt raw.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:26:57 »

Haha, I feel the same way man. I love the artwork on the inserts and seeing how the lyric book is laid out. The Dillinger Escape Plan's "One of Us is the Killer" has this really awesome font that looked like someone's journal. Plus who doesnt like a good mosh :P

What modern metal/djent were you referring to? I think bands like Periphery and Between the Buried and Me really shine when you listen to them on CD and probably vinyl. The quality on say YouTube and even Spotify just isn't the same for me.