Author Topic: Any one DIY Sauerkraut  (Read 2420 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Any one DIY Sauerkraut
« on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 09:36:33 »
About to attempt it...

But, I'm a little worried about it turning into a substance causing Assplosion ..

Any tips on temperature control ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Any one DIY Sauerkraut
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 09:50:51 »
Just read an industrial sauerkraut document..

It seems to say that, the difference between industrial sauerkraut and  Home-Made,

Is that the Industrial version is seeded with Specific bacteria isolate from the very beginning of the process, Ensuring that, THAT bacteria, the one responsible for lactic acid pickling process OUT-COMPETES the myriad of other Unrelated bacterias (which are omnipresent and some harmful)..

So, it seems the AT HOME version, which relys on the natural sauerkraut bacteria which is Already present on the leaves, is Less reliable,  and the end product contains more "undesirable" Toxic bacteria.

Hrrrrrmmm.....  I don't see any of this seed bacteria for sale anywhere..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:01:23 »
You need to give it a week or so at room temperature to get all the processes started properly. Cover it with water, and weight it without sealing it so that the gases produced can escape. Depending on what bowls, plates, etc, you have you may be able to put together pieces that fit moderately well.

I put it in a jar and keep the lid on loosely, even in the refrigerator, for at least another couple of weeks. Trial and error will help you with timing and techniques. Expect leakage and drippage.

This book is extraordinary and wonderful:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Fermentation-The-Flavor-Nutrition-and-Craft-of-Live-Culture-Foods-by-Katz/123016069671?epid=2475946&hash=item1ca4544227:g:MosAAOSwzrBapr6x
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:04:17 »
You need to give it a week or so at room temperature to get all the processes started properly. Cover it with water, and weight it without sealing it so that the gases produced can escape. Depending on what bowls, plates, etc, you have you may be able to put together pieces that fit moderately well.

I put it in a jar and keep the lid on loosely, even in the refrigerator, for at least another couple of weeks. Trial and error will help you with timing and techniques. Expect leakage and drippage.

This book is extraordinary and wonderful:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Fermentation-The-Flavor-Nutrition-and-Craft-of-Live-Culture-Foods-by-Katz/123016069671?epid=2475946&hash=item1ca4544227:g:MosAAOSwzrBapr6x

Thx for tips fohat..

Do you think the Starter Bacteria is a good idea..

I understand the principle of pickling (wait and see),  but after reading about the industrial sauerkraut difference, 

From the engineering perspective,  it seems --healthier-- to use the starter culture.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:06:20 »
Of all the things the Germans have invented, Sauerkraut is surely one of the most ghastly ones. It's basically vomit absorbed into an old wig.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:11:52 »
Of all the things the Germans have invented, Sauerkraut is surely one of the most ghastly ones. It's basically vomit absorbed into an old wig.

But Pro-Biotics..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:31:27 »

Do you think the Starter Bacteria is a good idea.

I am undecided on that. I have made at least a dozen batches (mixed vegetable "chi" - I never make simple cabbage "kraut") over the course of a few years.

In perhaps a quarter of my experiments I filtered a few spoonfuls of liquid from my previous batch and added it to a new batch, in hopes of accelerating the process. It has never seemed to make any difference. I think that the natural fermentation is adequate, although if you make a batch that is particularly tasty you might save some of that juice to "steer" the new batch. Remember to add some readily available food for the natural yeasts and whatnot to get started on. A spoonful of sugar or rice flour will keep them going until they start breaking down the starches in the vegetables themselves.

It is supremely important that you clean all of your gear thoroughly, but then rinse it well and do not allow any sort of "disinfectants" near it after you begin. And, significantly, tap water is loaded with chlorine and that will kill whatever culture you are trying to encourage. Don't trust bottled water to be disinfectant-free. If you don't have a charcoal filter, I suggest boiling tap water and then letting it sit overnight for the chlorine to dissipate.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 12:31:49 »

Do you think the Starter Bacteria is a good idea.

In perhaps a quarter of my experiments I filtered a few spoonfuls of liquid from my previous batch and added it to a new batch, in hopes of accelerating the process.

But how could you ensure the putrification bacteria isn't -too strongly-- present from the old batch, since this is the battle of bacterias.. .

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 12:42:42 »
I've tried with very little success. I bought some fancy jar tops with an air release thing and that didn't help either.

For my non-fermented cabbage fix I just cut up cabbage, onion, garlic, bell pepper and serano peppers and put in vinegar and let it sit for a week or so (usually in the fridge, too many animals running around) to make an Americanized pikliz.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 12:50:15 »

But how could you ensure the putrification bacteria isn't

You should really read Katz's book. I was able to check it out from the local library before I bought it for myself.

The over-simplified answer is that the bad bacteria live in the air, and the primary goal is to keep your vegetables under water at all times. Hence the weighted tops pressing down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 13:14:40 »

But how could you ensure the putrification bacteria isn't

You should really read Katz's book. I was able to check it out from the local library before I bought it for myself.

The over-simplified answer is that the bad bacteria live in the air, and the primary goal is to keep your vegetables under water at all times. Hence the weighted tops pressing down.

Is this a clear cut case, where non of the bad bacterium are also anaerobic , which can putrify "below the water" ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 14:54:25 »
I think the general answer is "yes" but it's because the beneficial bacteria are able to simply out-compete their rivals in the salty, acidic underwater environment.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 01:04:20 »
My Mom DIY's a bit of sauerkraut, but she mostly does kimchi. Seems difficult so I let the xperts do what they do and while I just eat the stuff. Wish I could help ya out

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 01:39:09 »
Homemade confirmed makes you **** your guts out. Lots more stomach bacteria, it's actually recommended in lot's of cleansing diets. If you eat it regularly it'll balance out your stomach flora, maybe supplement with some kombucha too. The best way is to combine very spicy in there, throw in some habaneros or ghost peppers it's super good. I've done this with pickles , but it's the same principle.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 09:13:18 »
You may not be doing something right. The probiotics and roughage should stabilize and improve your bowel function. We have never had a problem like that with what we have made.

We call it "kim chi" but that is because we use the process, not necessarily the ingredients. My kids don't like spicy things so we keep the peppers to a minimum, maybe 2 jalapenos to a gallon batch. We use at least a dozen vegetables, including lots of garlic and ginger, and it would probably be better described as a "mixed vegetable ferment".

There aren't any bacteria in your stomach, the role of intestinal bacteria gets greater and greater the farther down the trail you go.

You need to do it yourself because almost all commercial food gets sterilized and pasteurized, killing all the beneficial critters that you need.