Author Topic: 2560 X 1600 / 1440 monitor questions, advice  (Read 15353 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: 2560 X 1600 / 1440 monitor questions, advice
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 20:04:19 »
But then the question is "What 70%?"

I recall a lot of video stuff was based around a colour standard produced in the early 1960s, based on what tube televisions could display well.  That's why you rarely see really vibrant reds on old TV shows, for example.  If you have a monitor that can render that vibrant red, good on you, but it will go unexploited by the content you can find elsewhere.

Similarly, you can ask "What 70% of the 70%".  If you're just losing distinction in dim tints of grey, and you only play brilliantly-coloured animation, you're losing little.

It reminds me of my old 486/40 laptop.  Early TFT screen and already like a decade old when I bought it.  It had no real "red" but the colour it could offer was a lovely, rich brown.  I didn't miss the red much.  Now level 2 cache, that I missed. :)
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: 2560 X 1600 / 1440 monitor questions, advice
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:04:48 »
But then the question is "What 70%?"

I recall a lot of video stuff was based around a colour standard produced in the early 1960s, based on what tube televisions could display well.  That's why you rarely see really vibrant reds on old TV shows, for example.  If you have a monitor that can render that vibrant red, good on you, but it will go unexploited by the content you can find elsewhere.

Similarly, you can ask "What 70% of the 70%".  If you're just losing distinction in dim tints of grey, and you only play brilliantly-coloured animation, you're losing little.

It reminds me of my old 486/40 laptop.  Early TFT screen and already like a decade old when I bought it.  It had no real "red" but the colour it could offer was a lovely, rich brown.  I didn't miss the red much.  Now level 2 cache, that I missed. :)

The 70% has been a "long term" figure used to describe "current" display technology.  We've increased "a bit" it's likely a little more than 70% these days, but not by very much at all...

the 70% refers to the "visible spectrum"...  Certain high and low energy spectrum we cannot reproduce without using expensive/ probably deadly/ easily worn out lazerzzz.