Author Topic: 144hz Monitors, are they worth it?  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
144hz Monitors, are they worth it?
« on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 13:55:20 »
So essentially guys, it was my birthday yesterday and I've been eyeing up this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426445419&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+VG248QE+24-inch for quite some time now.

Now i've heard that the transition from 60hz to 120/144hz is rather good, especially for games such as CS:GO (which I play a lot of, especially surrounding the competitive scene). Now, what I don't want to happen is for me to go out and spend a lot of money on a monitor and for the upgrade to not be worth it. I'm all for buying expensive upgrades for my computer (hardware or peripheral based), but if it's only going to be a slight upgrade, then I don't think it's entirely worth it.

What are your guys opinions on the matter, is going from a 60 - 120/144hz monitor worth it?

你搞砸了

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: 144hz Monitors, are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 14:08:48 »
The 144hz does nothing  if it doesn't have ULMB/ Lightboost.

If you're thinking bout it,   wait for the IPS version coming out,  but ONLY get them if they support ULMB,   if the IPS version just supports 120hz WTIHOUT ULMB,  then it's really not much better than Regular IPS @ 60hz

Offline VanGhost

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 14:29:42 »

If you're thinking bout it,   wait for the IPS version coming out,  but ONLY get them if they support ULMB,   if the IPS version just supports 120hz WTIHOUT ULMB,  then it's really not much better than Regular IPS @ 60hz
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that this is not the case.

I haven't had that much experience with 144hz monitors, but the difference is noticeable. That being said, I don't like TN panels and the colors are usually pretty bad.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 14:49:37 »
I have heard there's a difference for FPS players mostly.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 15:19:57 »

I haven't had that much experience with 144hz monitors, but the difference is noticeable. That being said, I don't like TN panels and the colors are usually pretty bad.

I AM an expert. and what I've said is the case..

There is a huge lapse in knowledge when you ask people the generic question what looks good.

Sure, an IPS has great colors, viewing angles, and uniformity, but EVERY PANEL EVER without ULMB is a Blur-Fest when the Picture starts to move..

The human brain is what has allowed this veil to remain intact since the introduction of flat screens.

It stitches the blurry frames together into an understandable scroll of motion..

But the TRUTH IS, our brain while capable and complacent, is NOT FOOLED..

Try ULMB and you will understand.. 

Check out blur busters for more detailed explanations. 

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 15:56:25 »
So essentially guys, it was my birthday yesterday and I've been eyeing up this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426445419&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+VG248QE+24-inch for quite some time now.

Now i've heard that the transition from 60hz to 120/144hz is rather good, especially for games such as CS:GO (which I play a lot of, especially surrounding the competitive scene). Now, what I don't want to happen is for me to go out and spend a lot of money on a monitor and for the upgrade to not be worth it. I'm all for buying expensive upgrades for my computer (hardware or peripheral based), but if it's only going to be a slight upgrade, then I don't think it's entirely worth it.

What are your guys opinions on the matter, is going from a 60 - 120/144hz monitor worth it?

I have one of these. It's a good monitor and if you have the power  to push 100+ fps and play the games that will be able to take advantage of it most, it's worth getting. The VG248QE is capable of lightboost at 120hz. Also, realize that you are sacrificing color quality for those features. I've seen people complain about colors a lot, but you aren't buying a monitor like this for the colors.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:58:02 »
I don't understand how anyone would want to use ulmb when it makes the screen go so dim.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 19:11:57 »
I don't understand how you can game on 24 inch monitors anymore

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 06:05:10 »
I ended up buying a 27" Asus 144hz monitor and love it. The only downside is some blacklight bleeding and that 1080 looks kinda ****ty on 27" but playing mostly fighting games and FPS its overall a great monitor.
Took some time to trust LCD over CRT when I moved from cs 1.5/1.6 to cs:go but now I see no point in moving back the CRT

Next screen will be a IPS 27" with low input lag, 4K res and at least 120 hz. When ever that will be under ~$1500
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 08:02:20 »

What makes you say this?  I have a 120Hz monitor without ULMB and the difference between 60 is still readily apparent.  EDIT:  Just saw your second post, so is your first line here just referring to IPS or do you believe that any 120+Hz monitor without ULMB is no different than 60? 
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2015, 08:06:34 by a_ak57 »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 08:07:48 »
I have a 144 Hz monitor, and a system that can get those high framerates for the games that I play.

Personally I think the difference is not as huge as some people claim. I think the difference is quite subtle. It is not that you see thing being less "choppy" like when you move from 20 FPS to 60 FPS. Instead, the best way I can describe it is that the picture seems somehow calmer.

Would I upgrade hardware to get higher framerates and replace my monitor for a 144 hz monitor? Probably not. But since I have a system that could make use of it anyway, and since I needed to replace my old monitor, I went ahead and bought one. Though the thing I was impressed with most (for a TN panel) were the colors and contrast compared to my old monitor. Not so much the 144hz, which is nice, but not amazing or necessary.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline osi

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 08:55:35 »
I want a 144hz monitor

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 11:02:17 »

What makes you say this?  I have a 120Hz monitor without ULMB and the difference between 60 is still readily apparent.  EDIT:  Just saw your second post, so is your first line here just referring to IPS or do you believe that any 120+Hz monitor without ULMB is no different than 60? 

The 120hz is better than 60hz... This is fundamentally true...

But while technically superior, it does not whatsoever get rid of the MOTION-BLUR trail that exist @ either refresh rates.

ULMB is the only panel technique/technology  that restores the immense motion clarity from the Old CRT days...

If you don't believe me.. Go in the basement and bring up an Old CRT...

Download PixPerAn.. and run it side by side on the crt and lcd..

NOTICE that on the CRT you can read the scrolling word test at a significantly Faster rate than on the LCD..  On the LCD it becomes an absolute blur, and the letter forms become indistinguishable LONG before the same happens on the CRT.

This occurs on both 120hz and 60hz LCD..   With ULMB, it basically Matches the read speeds possible of the CRT.

Offline osi

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 11:12:37 »
Has anyone seen any demos of g sync displays? Wondering how those are performing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 11:17:44 »
Has anyone seen any demos of g sync displays? Wondering how those are performing

g sync is only relevant to non-competitive games, where <60fps is non detrimental to performance.

Offline VanGhost

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 11:32:19 »

There is a huge lapse in knowledge when you ask people the generic question what looks good.

Sure, an IPS has great colors, viewing angles, and uniformity, but EVERY PANEL EVER without ULMB is a Blur-Fest when the Picture starts to move..

The human brain is what has allowed this veil to remain intact since the introduction of flat screens.

It stitches the blurry frames together into an understandable scroll of motion..

I didn't mean to offend you man, that's why I prefaced what I said with "I am not an expert..."

I still don't really understand what you're saying though. I know for a fact that not every monitor without ULMB is not a "blur-fest", but I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 12:26:03 »
So the general consensus that I'm getting is the following:
  • 144hz > 60hz as long as it has "ULMB"
  • Good benefits for fps, but not that much anywhere else
  • Creates 'smoother' gameplay and that's what the 144hz experience is about
  • Finally,  if you're not able to push +144fps on the games that you play, then you're not going to reap it's true advantages
That about right?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2015, 12:29:04 by Fragil1ty »
你搞砸了

Offline osi

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 12:30:56 »

g sync is only relevant to non-competitive games, where <60fps is non detrimental to performance.

Well said. Didn't think about the fps limit for competitive play.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 15:32:18 »

I didn't mean to offend you man, that's why I prefaced what I said with "I am not an expert..."

I still don't really understand what you're saying though. I know for a fact that not every monitor without ULMB is not a "blur-fest", but I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.
60Hz -> 144Hz is a good noticeable difference. But Lightboost/ULMB is an even bigger jump. See for yourself:

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 21:39:20 »
So the general consensus that I'm getting is the following:
  • 144hz > 60hz as long as it has "ULMB"
  • Good benefits for fps, but not that much anywhere else
  • Creates 'smoother' gameplay and that's what the 144hz experience is about
  • Finally,  if you're not able to push +144fps on the games that you play, then you're not going to reap it's true advantages
That about right?

Lightboost only works well at 100hz +    The FRAME RATE does not matter..  Whether your  pc can put out a frame rate that matches the refresh rate does not influence whether Light-Boost will be Better.

Lightboost is better at ANY framerate..  but it requires the monitor be capable of 100+ hz..  lightboost does not really work well for less than 100hz,  it kinda works down to 80, but you're getting into an area where some people will begin to see "flashing"..

Offline VanGhost

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 12:51:41 »

60Hz -> 144Hz is a good noticeable difference. But Lightboost/ULMB is an even bigger jump. See for yourself:

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/
Thanks for the link. It seems that lightboost definitely helps with high fps, too bad it's only available on TN monitors. I just can't give up IPS. :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 13:05:35 »
I don't think you understand..

It doesn't matter really matter if IPS gives you nice looking - STILL IMAGES -

IPS in its current Iteration is a glorified picture frame..

TN with Lighboost is the ONLY thing that actually displays to YOU, the clarity of MOTION PICTURES..

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:26:01 »

TN with Lighboost is the ONLY thing that actually displays to YOU, the clarity of MOTION PICTURES..

Sooooo, this new Acer Predator XB270HU would be the holy grail?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:44:53 »

Sooooo, this new Acer Predator XB270HU would be the holy grail?

I don't know if it has ULMB.

I recall reading some where that IPS requires more backlight than TN in general to produce the same brightness.

So if they were to produce a ULMB IPS panel,  it would require quite an expensive backlit solution. some very powerful LEDs and driver..  <could get very expensive>

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:48:17 »
Noooooooooooooooooooooo.. this is taken from the TFT central review of that ACER..

Hopefully asus will manage to push through to 120hz ulmb.

For quick switching on and off it is also available via the quick launch menu option. It is only available when running the screen at 85 and 100Hz modes, not at 120Hz or 144Hz. The lack of support at the high refresh rates is probably related to a couple of factors. Mark Rejhon at Blurbusters.com talks about it a little in his post here as well. Firstly, to have effective "clean" strobing at 120Hz you really need pixel response times to be able to reach ~1ms G2G ideally, something that this IPS-type panel cannot reach. Even the best TN Film panels struggle to reach that kind of response time, so the strobing provided at 120Hz is still not clean. By limiting the ULMB to 100Hz maximum it is more appropriate for the kind of response times made possible from this new panel - which are excellent it should be noted for an IPS variant.

Secondly when you are using the ULMB feature you cannot use G-sync. As a result you are restricted to the Vsync on/off situation which we discussed earlier in the review. Limiting the refresh rate to 100Hz maximum is less of a drain on graphics resources than 120HZ/144Hz. You'd still need a beefy graphics capability to be able to output 100 fps consistently at 2560 x 1440 resolution, so we don't feel that the upper restriction here is really a massive issue. You still get fast pixel response times, 100Hz refresh rate and the benefits of perceived blur reduction discussed below.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:53:48 »
Noooooooooooooooooooooo.. this is taken from the TFT central review of that ACER..

Hopefully asus will manage to push through to 120hz ulmb.

For quick switching on and off it is also available via the quick launch menu option. It is only available when running the screen at 85 and 100Hz modes, not at 120Hz or 144Hz. The lack of support at the high refresh rates is probably related to a couple of factors. Mark Rejhon at Blurbusters.com talks about it a little in his post here as well. Firstly, to have effective "clean" strobing at 120Hz you really need pixel response times to be able to reach ~1ms G2G ideally, something that this IPS-type panel cannot reach. Even the best TN Film panels struggle to reach that kind of response time, so the strobing provided at 120Hz is still not clean. By limiting the ULMB to 100Hz maximum it is more appropriate for the kind of response times made possible from this new panel - which are excellent it should be noted for an IPS variant.

Secondly when you are using the ULMB feature you cannot use G-sync. As a result you are restricted to the Vsync on/off situation which we discussed earlier in the review. Limiting the refresh rate to 100Hz maximum is less of a drain on graphics resources than 120HZ/144Hz. You'd still need a beefy graphics capability to be able to output 100 fps consistently at 2560 x 1440 resolution, so we don't feel that the upper restriction here is really a massive issue. You still get fast pixel response times, 100Hz refresh rate and the benefits of perceived blur reduction discussed below.

But IPS with ULMB at 100 hz and 2560 X 1440 resolution sounds quite awesome to me. Out of my budget both for the screen and computer required to use it, but very promising for the next few years when I will need/want to change my computer and screen.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:17:03 »

But IPS with ULMB at 100 hz and 2560 X 1440 resolution sounds quite awesome to me. Out of my budget both for the screen and computer required to use it, but very promising for the next few years when I will need/want to change my computer and screen.

I think.... we COULD say today that, that Acer is the current KING of flat-panel gaming..

But it doesn't achieve  "Holy Grail" status just yet..

I think a couple of things need to happen for Holy grail..

Full Array RGBW led backlit..

800-2000 cd/m^2  luminance capacity,  this would bring up lightboost 10% into 100+ cd/m^2

120hz..

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:22:19 »
Not read all the posts in this thread so sorry if anything I say has been said.

Basically I couldn't live without 120+ now. You really notice the difference, even in just using your OS and browsing the internet. Firefox natively supports 120hz and it is buttery smooth when scrolling through web pages, it really enhances the experience.

The main reason I got one was for playing CS:GO, which makes once again a huge difference. I use a BenQ XL2411T with strobelight beta installed on my pc.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 15:31:37 »
Not read all the posts in this thread so sorry if anything I say has been said.

Basically I couldn't live without 120+ now. You really notice the difference, even in just using your OS and browsing the internet. Firefox natively supports 120hz and it is buttery smooth when scrolling through web pages, it really enhances the experience.

The main reason I got one was for playing CS:GO, which makes once again a huge difference. I use a BenQ XL2411T with strobelight beta installed on my pc.

Good man...

Now you need to get the Acer predator...