Author Topic: Homeworld Remastered!  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Cafiend

Homeworld Remastered!
« on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:06:34 »
I'm looking forward to this tomorrow. I pre-ordered the collectors edition last May,which I don't do too often for games. But, I figured it was worth it since this was one of my most favorited games.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Sadly, it will take a back seat for the moment because i'm currently playing thru Baldur's Gate EE. Another one of my favorites =p

:llama:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Homeworld Remastered!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:45:30 »
It's gonna be So baller...  too bad I'm too poor.. and can't afford any game that's not $5 on steam sale.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:57:31 »
I'm kicking myself for missing out the collector's edition - I preloaded the game last night so waiting to play~
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:58:18 »
I'm kicking myself for missing out the collector's edition - I preloaded the game last night so waiting to play~

I didn't even know there was a collectors edition.. heard it was sold out in minutes.

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 09:07:15 »
Haha I hear ya tissue. Love me some steam. I think the code you get is for steam...well I hope so atleast

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 14:57:55 »
I tried Homeworld 2.

I really tried it.

About half a dozen times.

I played through the first tutorial level, fine, no problems.

But as soon as I had to fend for myself in the game, miserable failure.

Every time.

I guess it's just not my type of game.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 12:33:56 »

I didn't even know there was a collectors edition.. heard it was sold out in minutes.

Not in minutes. It was introduced along with the game about a year ago, and for at least a month or two it wasn't sold out. Because of that, I didn't bother buying it at the time (and also because it didn't seem like it was a definite product).

I played the first few chapters of the campaign last night. Some sound issues during the training mode, where the cinematic sound would completely overwhelm the instruction voice, but otherwise...

...it's Homeworld! Without any crazy changes! The proper definition of a remastered edition!

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:32:45 »
u no.. the textures look way better than the original,  but... it's still kindaaa crummy..

I even enabled that 8096 setting.. uses 1.7gb of vram.. @ 2560x1600,   but yea.. textures look jaggy..  and idk wtf kind of aa they're using but still seeing jaggies @ 16x..

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 15:06:39 »
Yeah the ship textures aren't smooth, but then again I think they wanted it to be playable on a lower end system. My 460 GTX is running it at max textures, 1600x900 (I have a 21" screen, so sue me), and 4xAA without any slow downs. I suspect they know people are just going to make like 50 ion frigates and they didn't want to crash systems.

But that being said, it looks pretty good overall especially considering I installed Homeworld classic onto my computer (I still have the CDs lol) and it was almost unplayable ;(

And the beam effects are pretty good I think. I'll take a closer look at the explosion effects tonight when I get home. I thought they were nice when I last looked.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 15:09:01 by JinDesu »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 18:43:13 »
I feel like... I'm better at this game than when I was a kid.. I understand the importance of maneuvering and positioning..

HOWEVER.. This is still really hard to control because you just can't get the precision you want with such limited space..

If we had a 2 meter diameter Holographic table..  Now that would really make this game awesome..

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 19:24:34 »
Oh I didn't realize that they changed the units. I liked the crabish looking resource collector better!

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 19:34:13 »
Do you mean the Hiigaran collector? Or are you talking about the Kushan one?

The controls do lack finesse - more specifically with regards to mouse pan. Also since everything has to move in 3 dimensions with space physics, you sorta have to depend on the AI making the motions. But several years of starcraft has made multitasking a lot easier.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 20:47:24 »
Do you mean the Hiigaran collector? Or are you talking about the Kushan one?

The controls do lack finesse - more specifically with regards to mouse pan. Also since everything has to move in 3 dimensions with space physics, you sorta have to depend on the AI making the motions. But several years of starcraft has made multitasking a lot easier.

i find movement control very problematic when zoomed out.. much like the original..

It's a constant fight with the camera..

sigh....

I got through 5 missions.. but I don't have the patience as I once did as a kid for these gritty controls..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 10:49:09 »
GDI... I totally captured a carrier righ... and it bugged out and wouldn't move..

THEN THEN... I finally got it back to the base righ.. the carrier had **** stored in it.. the carrier is captured,  but the stuff inside still belongs to the enemy  so then my base was swarming with crap.. because as soon as the converted carrier comes out of the mothership,  it unloads the enemy inside.. frekaing...

AGhhhh..

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 11:04:45 »
Haha! That's messed up

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:29:48 »
I heard there were some bugs here and there, I gotta try and capture a carrier to see what happens lol

I haven't had much trouble with the camera so far. Just have to be used to moving to the arrow keys for panning.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:35:38 »
I saw The Cynical Brit's review and it looks pretty good.  How much is it on Steam?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 14:54:15 »
OMG.. more silliness.. 

So the in mission 10.. The one where you have to destroy the alien ship which is "mind controlling this large battlefleet...   

It's so lop sided now.. because you can nearly insta-capture ALL the enemy vessels in this mission by kiting the initial attack,

So you end up capturing in 10 seconds..vvvvv

20x assault frigate, 1 missile destroyer, 2 multi-beam frigate, 1 ion frigate

I mean.. ^^^ that + the fleet you'd already have would make the rest of the game too easy imho..

I mean.. it exceeds frigate supply limit by 20+..  if the game was designed for 20 frigates...  Now you have double that...

Sigh...........

Regardless... having fun... reminiscing the good ol' days...

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 15:13:30 »
OMG.. more silliness.. 

So the in mission 10.. The one where you have to destroy the alien ship which is "mind controlling this large battlefleet...   

It's so lop sided now.. because you can nearly insta-capture ALL the enemy vessels in this mission by kiting the initial attack,

So you end up capturing in 10 seconds..vvvvv

20x assault frigate, 1 missile destroyer, 2 multi-beam frigate, 1 ion frigate

I mean.. ^^^ that + the fleet you'd already have would make the rest of the game too easy imho..

I mean.. it exceeds frigate supply limit by 20+..  if the game was designed for 20 frigates...  Now you have double that...

Sigh...........
Show Image

Regardless... having fun... reminiscing the good ol' days...

Salvage frigate is the easy way to beat the campaign. Which is what I'm doing of course. Just grab a bunch of multibeam frigates and bam, easy city until the end.

I saw The Cynical Brit's review and it looks pretty good.  How much is it on Steam?

I think $29 or something like that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 17:40:34 »
So I'm eatin' this sandwich righ.. aannn all my stuff died..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:16:22 »
Snatched all 3 attacking ships..  using a total of 14 salvage drones (max supply)..

They don't let you make 10000x anymore...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:28:13 »
current army.. overlimit.. can't even build anything..

I don't understand this supply limit..  was there a hard mode I didn't click?

Traded in a few frigates to capture a few more capital ships that I can't build yet..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:34:32 »
Playing this game as an adult has made me realize that I'd make a terrible space-captain..  However, I'd be a fantastic Space-Pirate..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:12:44 »
aghh.. game's broken.. so many exploitable bugs.. damn you lua scripts...

Strike-suit zero..  had the same game breaking problems,  culprit,  LUA... !!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 12:05:11 »
Sigh..  overall..  this game is just too easy now that i'm old..

I remember the original being challenging..   now everything just feels tedious.. because the solutions are so obvious..