Author Topic: What to do with obsolete RAM  (Read 9830 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
What to do with obsolete RAM
« on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:38:24 »
I have at least a dozen sticks of RAM that are probably perfectly good but obsolete.

Talking desktop DDR and DDR2, probably older sticks, too, in increments of less than 1GB.

I would rather not just give them away or throw them away, but they seem to be hardly worth selling and shipping.

Is anybody building older retro systems, like all you guys waxing dreamily over Windows 98?

PM me and I can look through this fat baggie in my work space.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: What to do with obsolete RAM
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:39:02 »
drill a hole and put a key ring in it and put it on ebay for a few bucks?

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:42:14 »
Check out the prices on eBay for your RAM, some DDR2 still fetches are relitiviely good price. If you have a few old sticks, it'd easily bring in enough for a slab of beer

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:49:41 »
Maybe I will do that.

I feel bad taking hard drives apart for the magnets, but they are great magnets. How does that metal mounting plate manage to stop the magnetism completely from the other side?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 13:57:48 »
1GB or bigger sticks can still get good price used market depend on brand and speed/timings. If you can score one of pci card or sata pcb for cheap enough you can build ram based ssd which while small capacity likely with that you have can make killer page/temp/scratch disks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 14:20:03 »
1GB or bigger sticks can still get good price used market depend on brand and speed/timings. If you can score one of pci card or sata pcb for cheap enough you can build ram based ssd which while small capacity likely with that you have can make killer page/temp/scratch disks.

Great idea, but it seems like every motherboard I buy has less slots. I fill them up instantly and always wish I had more. It seems like motherboards used to have at least half a dozen slots, now I feel lucky to get 4 or 5.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 14:29:23 »
Christmas tree ornaments.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 14:37:48 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 17:39:48 »
Keychain is classic.. although..... it will put holes in ur pocket because the pcb is quite sharp, and even i you file it down.. the ic chips are still sharp..  if you file the ic, it'll look ****ty.

ddr2 8gb sticks fetch a high price..   all other ram.. not so much

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:39:59 »
Keychain is classic.. although..... it will put holes in ur pocket because the pcb is quite sharp, and even i you file it down.. the ic chips are still sharp..  if you file the ic, it'll look ****ty.

Acrylic case around that will help. Just get a mold poured to halfway, set the RAM into it, and finish filling it. Boom. Your RAM is now completely protected and incapable of slicing into your pocket/dangly parts.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 00:34:19 »
If you have any 72 pin SIMMs (late 1990s) that are 64mb I will buy them.

128mb sticks exist in theory but I don't know if I've seen any or if they will work in my system.

I have 4*32mb = 128mb right now. Would love to upgrade to 256 if possible.

Need 'em for upgrading my dolch.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 03:05:06 »
I have a box full of old RAM - no idea what most of it is though.

Why don't manufacturers put a sticker on saying exactly what the RAM is?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 03:10:28 »
my pc still using ddr2 ram the price still high to buy ddr2 ram

Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 12:44:47 »
make a necklace out of it
actually make paint them n **** first to make em look neato
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:32:35 »
Use the sticks as box openers  :)
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:38:00 »
Maybe I will do that.

I feel bad taking hard drives apart for the magnets, but they are great magnets. How does that metal mounting plate manage to stop the magnetism completely from the other side?

10 years ago I had an old 540MB hard drive I tore apart to show a newbi what was inside. I thought sh'e like the shine platter but instead she was disappointed and not impressed. I was so shattered by her lack of interest I don't think about poaching the magnet. Great magnets are cool!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 17:41:50 »
Maybe I will do that.

10 years ago I had an old 540MB hard drive I tore apart to show a newbi what was inside. I thought sh'e like the shine platter but instead she was disappointed and not impressed. I was so shattered by her lack of interest I don't think about poaching the magnet. Great magnets are cool!

I have several boxes full of old HDDs, including many SCSI, that I salvaged from a couple of dozen old computers I threw out when I moved a year ago.

Probably close to 100 HDDs.

I am gradually disassembling them to salvage the magnets.

This is off topic, sorry.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 17:43:13 »
Maybe I will do that.

I have several boxes full of old HDDs, including many SCSI, that I salvaged from a couple of dozen old computers I threw out when I moved a year ago.

Probably close to 100 HDDs.

I am gradually disassembling them to salvage the magnets.

This is off topic, sorry.

WOW! They are THAT good?!?!?!
Now I'm really hating myself hahahahaha
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 07:46:18 »
Make an echo / delay / repeat / sample box for audio :D With the amount of RAM on modern DIMM's you can have a nice long sample storage.

Hard drive magnets are awesome, super powerful and very directional if you place them on a proper backing plate.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 08:07:21 »
I have several boxes full of old HDDs, and am gradually disassembling them to salvage the magnets.

This kid is being held up by 20 HDD magnets:

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 11:31:59 »
Hey! Take that little guy down! What's up with that stick? Don't let the PC crowd see this post!!!

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 07:08:39 »
If you collected enough DIMMs you could use them as tiles for tiling a wall, or something. Mosaic, maybe?
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:19:47 »
If you collected enough DIMMs you could use them as tiles for tiling a wall, or something. Mosaic, maybe?

Oooh... Get a ****load of DIMMs, CPUs, GPUs, and mobos from scrap, glue them down to a desktop, and pour a layer of clear epoxy resin over the top, giving yourself a desk that looks covered in components, yet is smooth to the touch. You could even backlight it...
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:52:51 »

Oooh... Get a ****load of DIMMs, CPUs, GPUs, and mobos from scrap, glue them down to a desktop, and pour a layer of clear epoxy resin over the top, giving yourself a desk that looks covered in components, yet is smooth to the touch. You could even backlight it...

When I was about 18 or so, I was running a computer shop, and had boxes and boxes of old motherboards and expansion cards that were worthless, so one night I  screwed them to a wall, completely covering it in boards, then I wired in a few blinking LEDs, and it looked pretty cool in a weird neck bearded, mullet-wearing kinda way.....

Oh the good old days...

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 13:45:47 »
and it looked pretty cool in a weird neck bearded, mullet-wearing kinda way.....

Just what are you trying to say?

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 14:45:54 »
and it looked pretty cool in a weird neck bearded, mullet-wearing kinda way.....

Just what are you trying to say?

Hey, I can admit I rocked a mullet with the best of them in the day.

Those photos have pretty much all gone 'missing' but we are what we are, or were as the case may be...

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 16:33:37 »
If they're good, find some other vintage equipment and build vintage systems and sell them with a loaded OS.  People looking for retro systems will pay some good money and the components to build retro systems can be dirt cheap if you buy them at the right place/time (right before they go to scrap).

I once knew a guy that threw out 3 perfectly good Apple Laser printers that were the commercial stand-up type because they were just taking up space in his storage unit.  I'm sure someone would have loved to have those.

Old gear that still works is great for someone out there.  Even the old HDs.  Ever try to get a 200mb drive for a 386-20 that works properly?  It's pretty hard to find these days because of all the compatibility issues back in the early days of computing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 16:50:25 »
Ever try to get a 200mb drive for a 386-20 that works properly?  It's pretty hard to find these days because of all the compatibility issues back in the early days of computing.

I tried to get some old hard drives to work under Windows 7, because I have some work stuff that would fit well on 2GB-6GB hard drives, but none would read so I took them apart for the magnets.

I would like to find a beige 5.25" FDD in satisfactory condition that someone wanted to trade for or sell cheap. I think I still have a black one that I would trade straight up, if that interested anybody, along with at least 1 USB 3.5" FDD.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 07:02:16 »
I have several boxes full of old HDDs, and am gradually disassembling them to salvage the magnets.

This kid is being held up by 20 HDD magnets:

Show Image

Show Image

I was looking through this thread and just saw this post.

I took these pictures and posted them on /r/funny about a year and a half ago and made it to the front page of reddit lol

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 22:16:09 »
Overclock that ram to 400mhz for fun! make a ram sword! boil and get the gold from it! learn the how to throw ram at things! Burn it and watch pretty colors! so many things you can do.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline mr626

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 15:53:26 »
Personally, I keep old ram. It doesn't take up much physical space and often comes in handy for upgrading / resurrecting older computers

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 16:11:10 »
Sell that old RAM on ebay.com.  You'd be surprised what somebody needs to get some crazy project going.  For DDR less that 400 mhz, I dunno, but if you got 1gb DIMMS (like Ivan said above), you can get $20-30 for them.  Which is not anywhere what you paid for them, but it's better than throwing them away.  And, you can feel good about yourself for making some uber-nerd out there uber-happy that he can finally overclock his Athlon X2 4400+ all the way up to 1.0 ghz.  This is no joke.  List that old RAM on ebay today.   You have the ebay account history, so do it.  :thumb:

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 02:18:58 »
I still have a set of Corsair DDR3 1333 that uses the DHX cooler. Doubt anyone would want it though, so I just tucked it away just in case.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 10:42:37 »
I still have a set of Corsair DDR3 1333 that uses the DHX cooler. Doubt anyone would want it though, so I just tucked it away just in case.
What capacity is it?

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 12:47:37 »
What capacity is it?

4 GB and 9-9-9-24, that's why I doubt anyone would need it in these days and age.

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 13:45:09 »
What capacity is it?

4 GB and 9-9-9-24, that's why I doubt anyone would need it in these days and age.
I only have 4GB of RAM, in my PC. It seems plenty for what I do.
I don't really game very often, but I do on occasion, which is why I will be upgrading from my GT 620 to an r7 260X (Sonic Generations won't run)  but my RAM seems fine.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 21:54:50 »
Donate it to someone who needs it or give it away on some vintage computer forum.  You'll make someone so uber happy and keep that stuff out of landfills.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 22:36:10 »
ocasionally people build or upgrade older systems and need older RAM. Personally, I'm building a folding rig that uses ECC ddr2 RAM.

Offline jamster

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 20:22:46 »
Maybe I will do that.

How big are the magenets in drives?

I've never bothered to salvage them as I can get rare earth magnets cheaply off street vendors here, but the quality of these are highly variable (some are brittle or corrode fairly quickly). I am sure that drive magnets would be much higher quality.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:03:25 »
I am sure that drive magnets would be much higher quality.

The magnets themselves are fantastic, but they are epoxied onto non-magnetic mounting plates and it is all but impossible to get them off without messing up the protective layer.

If anybody knows how to do it, I would love to know how.

ps - about 1cm x 3cm x 3mm thick

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 21:40:46 »
I am sure that drive magnets would be much higher quality.

The magnets themselves are fantastic, but they are epoxied onto non-magnetic mounting plates and it is all but impossible to get them off without messing up the protective layer.

If anybody knows how to do it, I would love to know how.

ps - about 1cm x 3cm x 3mm thick

I usually clamp one end of the mounting plate in a vise, and bend the other end with a sturdy pair of pliers.

I get at least 50% clean detachment rate like that.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:00:55 »

I usually clamp one end of the mounting plate in a vise, and bend the other end with a sturdy pair of pliers.

That is exactly what I do. But then, there are bare patches of exposed magnet and razor-sharp edges of chrome (or whatever it is) lifting up.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:02:55 »
I have at least a dozen sticks of RAM that are probably perfectly good but obsolete.

Talking desktop DDR and DDR2, probably older sticks, too, in increments of less than 1GB.

I would rather not just give them away or throw them away, but they seem to be hardly worth selling and shipping.

Is anybody building older retro systems, like all you guys waxing dreamily over Windows 98?

PM me and I can look through this fat baggie in my work space.

I bet MicrosoftWindows has something ancient and retro...
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:06:24 »

That is exactly what I do. But then, there are bare patches of exposed magnet and razor-sharp edges of chrome (or whatever it is) lifting up.

Did u try selling that old RAM on ebay?  It will sell if you list it.  IMO, it seems better to sell them to somebody who will use them.  Recycle and renew or something.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline NoblesseOblige

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 11:16:27 »
I do arts and crafts with dated/busted hardware. Memory can be used to make key-chains, reefs, picture frames, and buildings for little computer cities.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:43:07 »
...buildings for little computer cities.
I'd love to see a pic of this!  Sounds very cool!

Offline NoblesseOblige

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:49:45 »
...buildings for little computer cities.
I'd love to see a pic of this!  Sounds very cool!

I don't have any photos of things I've made but here are some examples from other people:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:05:55 »
That's pretty cool!  I'd rather see working ram go into a vintage system, but for bad stuff I'd love to see an nyc skyline out of these. :D

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:34:45 »
Old FPM and EDO 72 (or even 30)-pin SIMMs make good keychains. The SDRAM family is too big, they tend to be uncomfortable in one's pocket.

DDR and DDR2 below 1GB per stick are approximately useless to most people and therefore have no value outside of artistic creations such as above. 1GB for DDR can get money still, as can 2GB for DDR2, but definitely not a lot.

Edit: how did I get conned into necroposting? Help, I'm slipping...
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 21:11:56 »
DDR and DDR2 below 1GB per stick are approximately useless to most people and therefore have no value outside of artistic creations such as above. 1GB for DDR can get money still, as can 2GB for DDR2, but definitely not a lot.
I still have use for DDR and DDR2 even in the smaller varieties.  Some of our older thin clients need them.  Although not rare yet, they still command a premium in relation to the modern day memory cost/mb.