Author Topic: young people.......  (Read 4841 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
young people.......
« on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:41:08 »
So..

Tp4 were speaking to a female today..

This person doesn't know precisely what a gigabyte is,  forgivable,  many people don't.

However,   She absolutely believed that if you have an iphone and it's only the 16gb version,  you're considered a poor person.

Sigh....................................................................................

Guess it kinda makes sense since mercedes c-class bmw 3-series owners are kinda poser-ish in the car world.

But now you got the apple arbitrary segregation of 16gb vs 128..

What does GH think about this..   ??   

Is it ominously bad social outlook ?? 

Too much vanity  ?? 

Lack of engineering education ?? 

Lack of comp sci education ??   

Bad education in general ??   

Misplaced societal values ??

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: young people.......
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:43:49 »

I believed you up until here.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:47:30 »
However,   She absolutely believed that if you have an iphone and it's only the 16gb version,  you're considered a poor person.

understandable, lots of apple owners are all about premium status

my gf got a 16gb iphone, not really knowing what it meant. but she eventually realised that it meant that it didn't allow here to hold many photos + netflix cached videos

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:48:55 »

Hhahahahahahhaahhhaahahahaha... 

was @ the panera bread this morning, crowded, had sit nx to unknowns.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:50:35 »

Hhahahahahahhaahhhaahahahaha... 

was @ the panera bread this morning, crowded, had sit nx to unknowns.

ok, now we're supposed to believe that you started conversation with a female stranger..? irl?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:51:39 »

understandable, lots of apple owners are all about premium status

my gf got a 16gb iphone, not really knowing what it meant. but she eventually realised that it meant that it didn't allow here to hold many photos + netflix cached videos

Yea, but there's a difference here, because  for example,  a 7 series and a 3 series has a 50000 to 100000 price difference.

The difference between a 16gb and 128 is only 500 dollars.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:54:21 »

ok, now we're supposed to believe that you started conversation with a female stranger..? irl?

Of course not,  Tp4 would never do that. 

The female started it.. 

Tp4 were just trying the oatmeal..

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:56:34 »

Of course not,  Tp4 would never do that. 

The female started it..  Tp4 were just trying the oatmeal.

nice  :cool:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 08:57:44 »

Tp4 just poked at it .. thoroughly unappetized.. thinking about all the stuff he's done wrong to deserve such morning anguish without bacon, cheese, and eggs..

#Veganswhoh8beingvegan

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 09:02:57 »

Tp4 just poked at it .. thoroughly unappetized.. thinking about all the stuff he's done wrong to deserve such morning anguish without bacon, cheese, and eggs..

#Veganswhoh8beingvegan

i was saying 'nice' because a girl began talking to you, but i'm also sorry about your oatmeal

174263-0

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 10:49:39 »
this oatmeal needs more oatmeal

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:43:14 »
I believe to some folks this is a big deal, more because of their shallow and lackluster understanding of economics, technology and because they place a higher value on the cost of items then their overall quality and use. I see this a lot in the car world where an amateur tuner looks down on Craftman tools but hold MAC and SK as god tier when both get the job done.

I think younger generations tend to fall into this trap easier because they are less experienced and have yet to understand the value of a dollar. Once they do either they adapt or drown in credit card debt. Financial Darwinism.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:44:40 »
I believe to some folks this is a big deal, more because of their shallow and lackluster understanding of economics, technology and because they place a higher value on the cost of items then their overall quality and use. I see this a lot in the car world where an amateur tuner looks down on Craftman tools but hold MAC and SK as god tier when both get the job done.

I think younger generations tend to fall into this trap easier because they are less experienced and have yet to understand the value of a dollar. Once they do either they adapt or drown in credit card debt. Financial Darwinism.

//Harbor Freight FTW ??

hahahahahahahaha...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:55:24 »
When a person cracks a Craftsman socket they tend to look elsewhere for sockets and socket accessories.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 11:59:58 »
When a person cracks a Craftsman socket they tend to look elsewhere for sockets and socket accessories.

Even if it cracked,  you'd have to be doing that all the time, for the cost of an expensive set to be worthwhile.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 12:01:43 »

Even if it cracked,  you'd have to be doing that all the time, for the cost of an expensive set to be worthwhile.

One is enough for me. I appreciate my knuckles hahahaha-muahahahahah-heh

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 12:02:57 »

I've never cracked a socket on a torque wrench,  I've stripped ones using the pneumatic though..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 12:07:46 »

I've never cracked a socket on a torque wrench,  I've stripped ones using the pneumatic though..

I would have ruined the threading on my manifold :( Besides I try to avoid power tools and sockets after that one Honda Dealership mechanic snapped off one of my lug nut bolts. RIP Honda 3D. Not a mechanic but I can F-up a socket pretty quick.

Offline mrduul

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 12:11:05 »
 :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 12:12:19 »

I would have ruined the threading on my manifold :( Besides I try to avoid power tools and sockets after that one Honda Dealership mechanic snapped off one of my lug nut bolts. RIP Honda 3D. Not a mechanic but I can F-up a socket pretty quick.

For me the problem is I have a small compressor,  so when it fills up you get alot of torque,  but when you go at it for a bit, the torque dies down as the pressure isn't as high,   and it becomes hard to gauge and ur playing torque roulette.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 13:56:33 »
You were probably just talking to a stuck up **** born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Very common amongst young Chinese immigrants with rich parents.

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 14:02:50 »
You were probably just talking to a stuck up **** born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Very common amongst young Chinese immigrants with rich parents.

Does this only apply to young "Chinese" immigrants with rich parents?  :-X

Does it not happen to any young _______ *insert any race* immigrants with rich parents?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 15:14:02 »
Well they sure do seem to flaunt it a lot more. It's more of a cultural thing than a race thing also, I notice a distinct consumerist attitude in rich young Chinese immigrants specifically. 

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 15:23:53 »
So..

This person doesn't know precisely what a gigabyte is,  forgivable,  many people don't.

Sigh....................................................................................

Guess it kinda makes sense since mercedes c-class bmw 3-series owners are kinda poser-ish in the car world.

But now you got the apple arbitrary segregation of 16gb vs 128..

What does GH think about this..   ??   

Is it ominously bad social outlook ?? 

Too much vanity  ?? 

Lack of engineering education ?? 

Lack of comp sci education ??   

Bad education in general ??   

Misplaced societal values ??

Tp4 talking to people with first world problems. Track phones are the best.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 16:03:21 »

There is much more to it than just this.
The higher end stuff doesn't flex and fits much better leading to fewer stripped nuts and bolts (and fewer busted knuckles). This is especially true with open end wrenches, where you will find a HUGE difference between cheap and more expensive wrenches. Ratchet strength also is a lot different.

However...
You could be forgiven for thinking there was no difference because newer Craftsman stuff is just Chinese crap with a better warrant, older Craftsman stuff is where they made their name and there was a very definite difference in quality. One set of sockets could last decades, many of mine are 40 years old or more. For years you could go to swap meets and find people collecting and reselling Craftsman tools because few things in life held value like those tools.

If you do a lot with your tools, you should invest in better quality ones as it will pay off in the long run. That said, you don't NEED Snap On to do small stuff around the house, Hazard Fraught is perfectly fine, just be careful using them on a car.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 20:09:05 »
Well they sure do seem to flaunt it a lot more. It's more of a cultural thing than a race thing also, I notice a distinct consumerist attitude in rich young Chinese immigrants specifically. 

maybe canada.. not so much in the usa..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:12:33 »
So..

LIES

Offline error404fnf

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 19:16:42 »
my sister does the same thing, she has to have the newest product of everything, and tells me I'm *not cool*  because my phone is a year old 🤣

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Offline JP

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 19:19:25 »
My sister the broke screen on a new phone so she inherited my old Galaxy S3  :))
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 19:45:43 »
My sister the broke screen on a new phone so she inherited my old Galaxy S3  :))

that's not good for young people social scene..   gotta buy her the insurance next time, hahahaha

Offline Kavik

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 02:00:54 »
I still use a flip phone. The other day, I told my brother in law and father in law that, if there comes a day that *only* smart phones are available for purchase and mine breaks or is no longer supported, I would switch to a pager. I don't even like having a cell phone at all, so why would I want the most advanced one with the most storage? I'd rather waste my money on keycaps.

You may say that pagers will be phased out by the time non-smart phones are phased out, but I think they'll stick around because doctors still use them heavily.

If I switch to a pager, but I don't have a cell phone, how will I call the person who paged me? Gmail phone? Magic Jack + landline phone? Borrowed cell phone?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 02:57:21 »
I still use a flip phone. The other day, I told my brother in law and father in law that, if there comes a day that *only* smart phones are available for purchase and mine breaks or is no longer supported, I would switch to a pager. I don't even like having a cell phone at all, so why would I want the most advanced one with the most storage? I'd rather waste my money on keycaps.

You may say that pagers will be phased out by the time non-smart phones are phased out, but I think they'll stick around because doctors still use them heavily.

If I switch to a pager, but I don't have a cell phone, how will I call the person who paged me? Gmail phone? Magic Jack + landline phone? Borrowed cell phone?

I mean, it's a good conversation starter ,  to chat up the females..

But other than that, it's not super practical.. hahahaha

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 03:14:12 »
I don't hate smart phones, but I definitely hate whatsapp. Ten million group messages every hour... Oo
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline LazyDog

• My personal site
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 15:33:05 »
in the absence of computing technology that is useful, empowering, and accessible, companies like Apple are able to sell technology as status objects.

not only can you buy your own personal node in the surveillance industry's precision-marketed web, you can participate in individualist capitalist expression of identity! what a deal!
<-- Epilepsy and music autoplay warning there

Offline fleischverpackung

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 12:01:23 »
@op
thread should be "stupid people"