Author Topic: Intel Quadcore U-series  (Read 1243 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Intel Quadcore U-series
« on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 06:46:19 »
Ok,  so now intel has made the move to put 4 cores in the u-series line.

For example, for less power use than the previous gen processors they can get a quad core into the place where dual cores would've been the limit.

But I don't seeeeee why amd can't just pull a m0ar c0r3z..  and stick a 6core or 8 core in there,   SINCE even though the IPC isn't there yet vs intel,  Their power efficiency vs performance IS..

AMD really should release an 8 core ultra-portable processor.

Offline WhyYouLikeDis

Re: Intel Quadcore U-series
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 13:53:24 »
Because full powah for 8 c0r3z under load is crazy. If you want to cram that into a laptop, you'll have to underclock severely

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 14:29:03 »
The first thought that comes to mind is why? Why would you even want a 8 core processor in a laptop? The U series are typically designed for laptop/mini computer applications and in both places a 8 core processor doesn't make a lot of since.

I could see going 8 cores for bragging rights shoot I know I have a friend that built a dual xeon server for his house for that very reason. He dropped a pretty penny on it saying he needed it for work back in the day but still.

The other possible use for a 8 core processor that legit is work related in that case I think you be better served with a desktop. As having a full powered processor along with proper video card could make a huge difference in things.

I am sure there is a small niche market out there for such a beast of a laptop but AMD has way fewer resources then intel so this most likely wouldn't be the best expansion of there limited resources!

Truthfully when it comes down to it.. these plans where years in the making from Intel which means they knew AMD had something that could be a 1-2 punch like the original 939 processors. They just threw lines out in all directions hoping something might catch.. cause price wise Intel isn't competitive at all never has been. They had to make sure they secured something so I wouldn't be shocked to see all kinds of craziness coming out of Intel for the foreseeable future and all of it over priced and corner cut.. like most there products recently.

Just for the record not a AMD/Intel Fanboy I go with what ever is more value priced my last 3 chips where Intels. I plan to switch back to AMD thought in the future.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 16:02:23 »
Tp4 isn't talking about using more cores for more performance, he is specifically asking for more cores so that mobile devices can draw less power. Power usage versus performance is exponential as you increase the clock on a single core. That's he main reason why multi-cores were used in the first place. You could put a huge load on one core, but that would just waste power and create more heat. Furthermore, for small load tasks, you would be able to have 1 small core as the bare minimum for the processor to run at instead of a larger core.
Having 8 cores versus 4 theoretically means better batteries life; multi cores aren't just for raw performance metrics.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 16:05:37 »
Tp4 isn't talking about using more cores for more performance, he is specifically asking for more cores so that mobile devices can draw less power. Power usage versus performance is exponential as you increase the clock on a single core. That's he main reason why multi-cores were used in the first place. You could put a huge load on one core, but that would just waste power and create more heat. Furthermore, for small load tasks, you would be able to have 1 small core as the bare minimum for the processor to run at instead of a larger core.
Having 8 cores versus 4 theoretically means better batteries life; multi cores aren't just for raw performance metrics.

Congratulations..  a Tp4 Approved Post !!