Author Topic: How about helping me choose a keyboard?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline dirtyblacksocks

How about helping me choose a keyboard?
« on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 22:37:02 »
So here's the deal folks. I grew up on IBM keyboards way back when - and had no idea what a mechanical keyboard was up until a few years back. Since then I've owned two mechanical types. Razer Black Widow, and Logitech G710+.

Now I'm using a Logitech G710+ with the brown switches, and I love them for typing - I think they are all around my favorite switches, but I do quite a bit of gaming as well.

Long story short I've spilt some sticky hot mess on the ten key of this keyboard, and it's no longer functional, along with all the media keys on it - essentially turning it into a big TKS board.

I'm looking to upgrade, but being that I'm a Disabled Veteran - I'm lucky if I can put away $50 a month - and I've got a computer build on schedule for 8 months from now that must be completed due to giving the current rig I'm using to a Disabled Veteran who will be getting out of the hospital and need something to keep her mind occupied when she no longer has that support system.

So I need a solid mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches, preferably TKS but that's not a deal breaker (I just figure it will make the board cheaper) - and preferably some kind of back light illumination, but again it's not a deal breaker, seeing as I'm pretty adept at typing.

I want something solid...superior...just the best of the line when it comes to production line mechanical keyboards - without breaking the bank. If I'm going to spend over $200 I may as well just start saving for a full on custom build.

That being said, right now I'm basically looking at two brands, Ducky and Cherry.

It's my understanding that Cherry only use red switches right now, but that their keys are shortened in some way that it gives a whole new feel to the keyboard - there are also the rumors that they save the best switch batches for their own keyboards, blah blah blah.

Ducky - I've never seen one in person, never typed on one, never held one, but everyone I talk to says Ducky and FILCO are the best regarded brands out there, and FILCO's are damn near impossible to find where I am - let alone at the price point I'm looking into.

So yeah, how about it, any suggestions? I was looking at the Ducky OMG Limited Edition, since it's in stock - it seems like everything is out of stock for the most part right now.

I feel lost in the world of keyboards this forum has opened me up to - and I need some guru's to point me in the right direction of in stock retail until I can get around to making a custom.

Thanks.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: How about helping me choose a keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 22:48:28 »
$50 each month

and a computer build  8 month from now..

that's $400 total for the PC...

given the price of current gen components that's in the best price/performance ratio tier..

I think you should save it all for the PC..

the keyboard really doesn't do anything for you since you have other keyboards.  while a faster PC is a much more significant boost in your computing experience.

Offline dirtyblacksocks

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 22:58:29 »
$50 each month

and a computer build  8 month from now..

that's $400 total for the PC...

given the price of current gen components that's in the best price/performance ratio tier..

I think you should save it all for the PC..

the keyboard really doesn't do anything for you since you have other keyboards.  while a faster PC is a much more significant boost in your computing experience.

I've already got some money put away for the PC build - as well as a few items I'll be selling dependent on where technology has gone by that build time (will DDR4 RAM be out? Maxwell GPU's? new generation of Intel?).

The only keyboard I currently have, is this half broken G710+ - and before some one recommends it, I've made attempts at cleaning it. I'm afraid without pulling the whole thing apart and resoldering it (something I don't know how to do) that it's just stuck...some of the keys fly off on their own if I press them too hard, a lot of the keys are loosening, overall it's a cheaply built keyboard considering the price and switches in it.

I'd rather scrap it for the switches and key caps - and get something I know is a little more solid. I just don't want to blow a ton of money on the new keyboard, so I was hoping to get some top end budget recommendations - like under $200 or so.

Maybe I should go dig around in the Marketplace and see if some one's got a Ducky or FILCO that's been overlooked, but somehow I doubt it.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 23:10:53 »
I'd definitely recommend a Ducky. The best way to find one is either to weasle through ebay or stalk http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ till they get them in stock.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 00:03:29 »
I think it is sort of frustrating to get a consensus on brands unless one is truly terrible. I have a Ducky and I like it. I'd get another one if the situation called for it. I wouldn't rule out other brands though. If I were to buy one this second, I'd get a Matias. I was looking at one in person today and I liked it, they don't use the Cherry Brown switches you said you liked so that's probably not the best recommendation.

Not sure if you're looking to save a little bit of money or spend a lot since you mentioned both. If you're looking to save a little money, look at Leopold from http://elitekeyboards.com/. They have tenkeyless models with browns in stock. Otherwise a Cooler Master is a pretty popular option. For the one I tried, I thought my Ducky had better keycaps though.

You won't necessarily save money by going with a tenkeyless. They use less materials, but I think the volumes they sell in are less, so they're usually close in price to a fullsize. TKL is good if you don't use the numpad and want your mouse to be closer for ergonomic reasons.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 02:44:29 »
Ducky Shine 3 TKL sounds like it'd fit the bill: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=2&size=Tenkeyless&keyword=&backlit=on&in_stock=on

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. You could try and find a nice second hand TKL with Browns in the Classified section or scanning ebay, etc.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 12:52:30 »
So I need a solid mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches, preferably TKS but that's not a deal breaker (I just figure it will make the board cheaper) - and preferably some kind of back light illumination, but again it's not a deal breaker, seeing as I'm pretty adept at typing.

I want something solid...superior...just the best of the line when it comes to production line mechanical keyboards - without breaking the bank. If I'm going to spend over $200 I may as well just start saving for a full on custom build.

That being said, right now I'm basically looking at two brands, Ducky and Cherry.
While well built, Ducky's are targeted at teens w/ too much money. CM Storm offers two boards w/ an excellent price performance ratio, the QuickFire XT and QuickFire Rapid. The Rosewill RK-9200BR (backlit) and RK-9000BRI are worth checking out too. All these are made by Costar AFAIK.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 13:15:10 »
follow your heart!
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline Comment

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 13:41:05 »

Ducky - I've never seen one in person, never typed on one, never held one, but everyone I talk to says Ducky and FILCO are the best regarded brands out there, and FILCO's are damn near impossible to find where I am - let alone at the price point I'm looking into.

Thanks.
If you can afford to pick up a Ducky, I would do it, they have amazing build quality and some standard key sizes if you wanted to replace the caps. Definitely one of the best all around MX board brands.  :thumb:
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini