Author Topic: 150wpm+  (Read 28546 times)

Offline kfmfe04

Re: 150wpm+
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 22:19:00 »
Very interesting stuff!

I guess the quality of "impatience" in a typist is equivalent to being "lazy" for a programmer: both lead to intolerance for inefficiencies.

I just found a correction facility under keyboard/text in OSX mavericks, and added my first entry:  "abbr" for "abbreviation"

I'm going to look into a way to mass load a long list of such mappings - if there's no built-in way, I can prolly write some Applescript to make the computer load it for me.

Proword, do you have a suggestion where I can find a list of common abbreviations that I can use to "seed" my initial list?

I'm just discovering your treasure trove of blogs that you have posted on the matter - I will read some more before posting any more questions - thx!

EDIT:  I see the list you have created at the end of your blog page - it's probably too legal-centric for me, but just looking through the list, it gives me a great idea of how best to abbreviate for my own cases.  I will probably just start with that list and keep the ones that will be useful for me.  Thx.

EDIT:  Wow - 6816 entries!  I'm thinking now that this functionality could also be extremely useful for typing foreign language text quickly.  I will start adding some of my own.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 November 2013, 22:29:00 by kfmfe04 »
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline Proword

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:06:27 »
Just a question and perhaps a caveat.  What is the execute key for the expansion function?  If it's something like the space bar or a full stop or comma etc, then you are inevitably going to run into the steno's nightmare, which is having an abbreviation which is a "real"  word.  My best example is days of the week/months of the year.  I use the first three letters, but words like Sat, Sun, Wed, Jan, Mar, May,  etc will crop up in the course of ordinary work, and if your execute function is attached to the space bar then you will have unwanted expansions occurring. 

One solution is to make your abbreviations text strings which are unlikely to pop up - which means you have to be able to see well into the future to know for sure.  The other way  is add some sort of marker eg #Jan, #Wed, to make the abbreviations unique.  This was what I did in 1990, when my first employer was using Hewlett Packard Word.  But as you can see, this adds an extra keystroke to every abbreviation, which tends to defeat the idea of abbreviating.

However, if, as in my own system, you have the capacity to tie the expansion function to the keystroke of your choice, then that's not a problem.  This is one of the reasons I chose WordPerfect over MS Word, because in both programs, the expansion function works on the space bar, and other punctuation marks.  But whilst I could re-assign the expansion function to my own key in WP, it was not possible (at least efficiently) in MS Word.

As you have observed, I have a bias towards legal because that's the work I do.  You will have your own row to hoe in that respect. 

Have fun.

Joe

Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:38:10 »
In OSX Mavericks, I have found out the following:

1. Spacebar invokes the checker (there seems to be no way to set it to anything else)

2. Can't insert characters like # into the source word

3. Foreign language mapping:  suppose I map nh to 妳好 The checker seems to work only if I am using the U.S. Keyboard which means I need to switch away from Pinyin to U.S., type nh, and then switch back Pinyin.  Works for now, but not so convenient.
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline Proword

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:23:13 »
Ah, well, I know absolutely nothing about Apple Mac so all I can do is wish you bon voyage on your journey into this unknown land.   ;)

Joe

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline MonoSky

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 09:16:56 »
I just tried 10fastfinger on my laptop only got around 85~WPM. But after trying it twice, my left arm is already sore...
|| Corsair K90 Reds || KBT Race WHITE LED with Black Switches || CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Reds

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:17:13 »
I'm getting faster and faster as time goes by and with practice, but for me the switches I use also have a lot to do with it. I max out at around 90 WPM on blues, but with Browns 90 is my minimum. Reds and blacks aren't for me as I just can't seem to get by with linear switches. But I usually average around 90-95.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:12:53 »

Damn so close. Oh well
I love Elzy

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:59:49 »
Damn, dem fingers be flying.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 18:39:29 »

Am I relevant now?
I love Elzy

Offline flopska

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 14:40:06 »
Yesh, you are!!! :O

I am still at ~75-80 on 10ff :( Long way to go...

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 16:44:32 »
And I'm watching this thread barely passing 40..... Well it's time for practice.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 08:00:06 »
As a guy who types long stuff a lot, I find myself far better at typing when it is something I know. IE when there is something I want to say, I can type incredibly fast, while if it's a typing test I can't keep up.

I can't sustain 140wpm for more than 10 minutes straight though. When I run out of things to say, I have to stop.

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but...

So, I type about 110-120wpm on average and noticed some extreme 10fastfinger scores on here.

Anyone who types 150wpm+ regularly? If so I'd be curious if you made some conscious effort to increase speed at some point, and if so, how did you go about it? My accuracy above 130wpm goes to hell.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Blusey

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:01:25 »
With 10FastFingers, I can knock out 115 consistently on MX Blues / Domed. Not tried yet on Blacks or others. Will have to get round to it as blues start to hurt my hand just a little after a while. Not sure which keys would be better

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 06:52:59 »
Browns.

Offline shaaniqbal

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 14:26:48 »
My record:

I use an Apple Wireless keyboard and average 145-155 WPM.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:49:22 »
And I'm watching this thread barely passing 40..... Well it's time for practice.

Practice does make significantly better.  :D
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 16:40:43 »
I call bull**** on 99% of the people who say they can do this throughout an entire work day and sustain those numbers.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 19:20:36 »
Yeah. My comfortable average would be around 75-85 at best. It's only when I'm pushing myself and really focused that I can do 100+

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 21:31:34 »
I call bull**** on 99% of the people who say they can do this throughout an entire work day and sustain those numbers.

I would say it's unlikely, but there are as you say a very small percent (much smaller than 99.999%, I guarantee you) who can maintain over 140 wpm through activities. It generally requires you to be focused on what you need to type, though. I at least maintain probably about 120 wpm doing daily activities (such as typing out this post).
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Proword

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 01:00:39 »
The word "average" gets bandied about without being really understood.  In another thread I wrote:

About 6 years ago I took an entire month's work, reduced it to straight text (no formatting, page breaks etc) and calculated that based upon an 8 hour day, and a 5 day week, with NO breaks of any sort, I was achieving [an average of] 23 wpm.  And given that I was using the finished (ie proof read and corrected) copy it was virtually 100% accurate. 

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 01:53:58 »
The word "average" gets bandied about without being really understood.  In another thread I wrote:

About 6 years ago I took an entire month's work, reduced it to straight text (no formatting, page breaks etc) and calculated that based upon an 8 hour day, and a 5 day week, with NO breaks of any sort, I was achieving [an average of] 23 wpm.  And given that I was using the finished (ie proof read and corrected) copy it was virtually 100% accurate. 

Whether or not your definition is different from others doesn't have any bearing on it not being understood by anybody but yourself. Speed for typing is not simply words/time, it's words/time typing.

Offline Proword

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 02:13:59 »
Speed for typing is not simply words/time, it's words/time typing.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm saying.  To achieve that average of 23 wpm you would have to type at 23 wpm for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks per month.  As soon as you stop to go to have a coffee or lunch, or go to the toilet, you average speed would start dropping.   Hence I would have to type at 180 wpm to make up for the time lost in the normal working day, such as answering the phone, starting a new job, proof reading etc.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 10:57:28 »
Speed for typing is not simply words/time, it's words/time typing.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm saying.  To achieve that average of 23 wpm you would have to type at 23 wpm for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks per month.  As soon as you stop to go to have a coffee or lunch, or go to the toilet, you average speed would start dropping.   Hence I would have to type at 180 wpm to make up for the time lost in the normal working day, such as answering the phone, starting a new job, proof reading etc.

You're saying the exact opposite; time not spent typing has zero effect on speed is what I'm saying. Productivity, as in words produced in a work day might be what you're talking about, but it has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:07:41 »
http://10fastfingers.com/result/1_CE/I+can+type+82+words+per+minute+Are+you+faster?

I got 82! That's not bad for a first run!

I've been doing the test with Both the Poker II Brown MX and the SteelSeries 7G Black MX, i made my record with the Poker II.

I can't think how the first one in the scoreboard (Nihad) made 190 words with 950 strokes. He's super good!

I should learn a new layout to get better but i do not think it's worth the shot, for the sole reason that most keyboards are QWERTY, and therefore learning the norm is the best in my opinion. It's better to be 120 WPM on 99% of the boards you'll be in touch with than 150 WPM with your single board imo.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:12:50 »
That's not bad at all. The Poker II with Browns is what I use as well and it's a really comfortable little board.

I can't even dream of doing 950 strokes, goddamn..

Offline Proword

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 17:36:31 »
. Productivity, as in words produced in a work day might be what you're talking about, but it has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

You should come back to reality.  When you leave high school and have to get a job, it's where the money comes from.  You don't get paid to type at 150 wpm for a minute.   

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 17:39:10 »
. Productivity, as in words produced in a work day might be what you're talking about, but it has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

You should come back to reality.  When you leave high school and have to get a job, it's where the money comes from.  You don't get paid to type at 150 wpm for a minute.

^^ this guy knows what's up

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 18:24:34 »

Praise the sun, aint that the truth!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 19:43:39 »

When did this discussion go anywhere near the topic of jobs? If that's how it's measured, go figure. You weren't talking about jobs, and deciding to use your age as leverage is immature.
If you could get your head out of your rear where it's currently stuck before you attempt to communicate, that'd be good.

Offline Proword

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 19:50:37 »
Res ipsa loquitur

Joe

Offline shaaniqbal

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 20:19:39 »

When did this discussion go anywhere near the topic of jobs?

Right here:

Offline Proword

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 21:09:57 »

... deciding to use your age as leverage is immature.

On 4 Oct 2013 you posted ...

I also am a high-schooler, without much mnoey; I doubt that I could afford the ErgoDox, perhaps the TECK at most. I'd consider the ErgoDox, just tp4's stupidity has turned me off of the idea.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 02:00:49 »

... deciding to use your age as leverage is immature.

On 4 Oct 2013 you posted ...

I also am a high-schooler, without much mnoey; I doubt that I could afford the ErgoDox, perhaps the TECK at most. I'd consider the ErgoDox, just tp4's stupidity has turned me off of the idea.

Money as an example of something I'd be short at? Just because I am mentioning my age doesn't mean that I'm using it is leverage in an argument. Thanks for stalking my old threads, by the way.

Offline Proword

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 02:10:40 »
You wrote what you wrote.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 08:18:24 »
You wrote what you wrote.

No one cares about your ****ty job, where you lament writing your 23wpm w/e-s..

The subject is typing speed.. you type slowly, if someone types faster than you, you should listen to that person with respect to the subject..

If the subject was "your ****ty job",  I'm all ears on how you make it through the day without killing yourself..

But the subject is not that, it's WPM...  so... get over urself, try not to die, and maybe learn something here that would only help you..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 08:19:43 »
Are different keyboards rated for different speeds?

Like car tires some are only rated to go so fast....I'd hate for someone to have a keyboard blow out or catch fire! :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 08:22:48 »

Like car tires some are only rated to go so fast....I'd hate for someone to have a keyboard blow out or catch fire! :eek:

technically yes... but... you'd have to be the-flash or superman...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:49:21 »
The breaks in logical conversation flow on this page are staggering :)  People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind  ;)

This in particular was especially mind boggling.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:51:02 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:15:41 »
The breaks in logical conversation flow on this page are staggering :)  People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind  ;)

This in particular was especially mind boggling.

Yup.. it seems like he's trying to justify his slow-wpm by saying: "in a real job you would never need to type that fast"

1, I don't know why he'd need to prove anything about that fact, or why he'd be insecure about it, enough that he'd go out of his way to shield his ego..

2, What does your job have to do with the attempt to reach higher WPM...

Offline Proword

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:30:54 »
People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind
Exactly

Yup.. it seems like he's trying to justify his slow-wpm by saying: "in a real job you would never need to type that fast"

If you read what I actually wrote, and not what you think I wrote, I said that I need to type at 180 wpm in order to achieve a daily average speed of 23 wpm.  If you are able to achieve 23 wpm for 8 hours - without stopping keying for ANYTHING - I'd be very surprised indeed.  I certainly couldn't type for 8 hours without stopping.  My comment was about the lack of understanding of the concept of average typing speed. 

Joe

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:36:26 »
No, you're all still missing it.  Linkbane was talking about bursts of typing.  So you sit down and put your hands onto your keyboard and begin typing an e-mail.  Then you take your hands off and go for a cup of coffee.  In the interval while you typed the e-mail, that would be the words per typing time, or actual speed.  Averaged, because you might be doing that a number of times, to reply to 10 e-mails.

Nothing to do with age... nothing to do with justifying how many WPM an employer would be impressed with or not. 

And maintaining WPM through work day clearly doesn't mean people type for 8 hours straight without even having a bathroom break.  But while they do type, their average WPM when typing will be a certain number.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:38:25 »
Very good points, PE.

That raises a question (for me, at least). What WPM should I be looking to achieve to impress someone? Is my 50-70 too low? Will 150 make me look crazy?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:40:23 »
People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind
Exactly

If you read what I actually wrote, and not what you think I wrote, I said that I need to type at 180 wpm in order to achieve a daily average speed of 23 wpm.  If you are able to achieve 23 wpm for 8 hours - without stopping keying for ANYTHING - I'd be very surprised indeed.  I certainly couldn't type for 8 hours without stopping.  My comment was about the lack of understanding of the concept of average typing speed. 

Joe

Average typing speed...   is indeed what we're talking about..

You're talking about  average productivity output... 

We are discussing the ACT of typing faster.

You're hung up on what one would ultimately DO with the-typing.

I do believe this has been your action in splintering the discussion and spurring a hostile-verbal-confrontation..

Not h8n' on ur Proword... Just saying.. Chillzies

Yea, I just said -Chillzies-

Offline Proword

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:58:59 »
But while they do type, their average WPM when typing will be a certain number.

On that logic, then I say I do bursts of up to 220-240 wpm from audio.

Joe

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 18:31:22 »
Average when typing a longer e-mail or similar.

Offline Proword

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 18:50:26 »
Linkbane was talking about bursts of typing. 

So was I. 

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:01:59 »

Speaking with personal experience right now, i just borrowed my riends Model M and i'd say i have to type slower, not because the switches are bad, but because sometimes it double registers or it doesn't at all. I must be typing about 55 WPM just because of that. He told me it's because an old board may Oxyde (It's a french term, i am not sure if it exists in english) which means the spring metal is wearing out, reducing the accuracy.

It's still a nice board but it seems to have its limitation (gotta agree it's a 20 years old keyboard, it shouldn't work perfect anyway)

So yeah maybe keyboards could be rated at different speed considering their pooling rates or their damages or other factors?
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:08:36 »
No, you're all still missing it.  Linkbane was talking about bursts of typing.  So you sit down and put your hands onto your keyboard and begin typing an e-mail.  Then you take your hands off and go for a cup of coffee.  In the interval while you typed the e-mail, that would be the words per typing time, or actual speed.  Averaged, because you might be doing that a number of times, to reply to 10 e-mails.

Nothing to do with age... nothing to do with justifying how many WPM an employer would be impressed with or not. 

And maintaining WPM through work day clearly doesn't mean people type for 8 hours straight without even having a bathroom break.  But while they do type, their average WPM when typing will be a certain number.

Thanks. This is what I meant, and I can see how it's certainly more understandable than my original phrasing.

Offline Proword

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:19:46 »
What I don't understand is how you reach your figure of an average speed.  Is it just a guess?  I certainly give my method of calculation for reaching my average speed of 23 wpm for 8 hours. 

Joe

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:22:40 »
What I don't understand is how you reach your figure of an average speed.  Is it just a guess?  I certainly give my method of calculation for reaching my average speed of 23 wpm for 8 hours. 

Joe

Isn't that special? I find my speed by using online tests, which usually work quite well. Otherwise if I truly feel like timing the amount of time it took for me to write something out, I could time myself to the second and have the word count divided by time in minutes. Nothing earth shattering in the slightest. Given that I do that very rarely, it's simple for me to determine my speed by feeling. I've done many, many tests so it's pretty ingrained that I can estimate my speed accurately within about 5 wpm.