Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427458 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #500 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:07:30 »
Do any of you have tips on how to improve my handwriting? It is pretty atrocious and I would like to improve.

1) Find examples of handwriting you like. I grew up learning Palmer and then spent some time as a draftsman. I have decent cursive and ok print. There are many examples online and even practice sheets. Some places I've found writing samples from are the standard google search, blogs such as OatsDIY or GourmetPens, and forums such as Fountain Pen Network.
2) Practice
3) Practice
4) Practice

For myself, I practice my Palmer cursive handwriting almost nightly by writing out the NATO phonetic alphabet. I've slowly been stealing letters that I see from other people as you've seen in my previous post. My upper case H, I, K, and A have all been altered because I didn't like how they looked.

Oh and remember to practice ;).

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:11:37 by CPTBadAss »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #501 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 22:25:44 »
I do whatever the hell I want for capital letters.
A lot of them still look terrible though and plain.

Letters that need work: E, T, F, J, Z, X, C, G, H, K, M, N, P, R, U, V

Pretty much everything still needs work.  :))
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #502 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 22:47:57 »
Do any of you have tips on how to improve my handwriting? It is pretty atrocious and I would like to improve.

as much as tp annoys me, he had a real good post on here that got deleted for stupid reasons. but basically, get a ball point (i think that's what it was) and practice. no need to get a fountain pen if your writing is crappy to begin with. practice on cheap ball points then move up to "better" pens.

since i dont really need a pen for work, i hardly ever write. so sometimes i write out replies for threads on a piece of paper then just retype them. just to practice my writing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 22:49:42 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline iri

« Reply #503 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 04:02:43 »
The Pelikan M200, why is it not considered amongst pen enthusiasts?
it is pretty much considered. a very good pen. just note that all german pens have relatively broad nibs, so if you want to buy a pelikan, aim yourself to an EF nib.

as much as tp annoys me, he had a real good post on here that got deleted for stupid reasons. but basically, get a ball point (i think that's what it was) and practice. no need to get a fountain pen if your writing is crappy to begin with. practice on cheap ball points then move up to "better" pens.
my advice is exactly the opposite.

1. get yourself a fountain pen. preferably the one with the triangular grip section, like lamy safari or omas 360.
2. practice the proper triangular grip. it's a very important foundation for a good handwriting.
3. practice the proper writing position for a fountain pen. remember that a fountain pen's angle is lower than a ballpoint's when writing and its nib must be in a certain position for the ink to flow well. also remember to never write with pressure with a fountain pen unless it has a flexible nib.
4. choose the preferred handwriting style and practice, practice, practice.

for a simple reference, see this.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #504 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 09:17:57 »
The Pelikan M200, why is it not considered amongst pen enthusiasts?
it is pretty much considered. a very good pen. just note that all german pens have relatively broad nibs, so if you want to buy a pelikan, aim yourself to an EF nib.

my advice is exactly the opposite.

1. get yourself a fountain pen. preferably the one with the triangular grip section, like lamy safari or omas 360.
2. practice the proper triangular grip. it's a very important foundation for a good handwriting.
3. practice the proper writing position for a fountain pen. remember that a fountain pen's angle is lower than a ballpoint's when writing and its nib must be in a certain position for the ink to flow well. also remember to never write with pressure with a fountain pen unless it has a flexible nib.
4. choose the preferred handwriting style and practice, practice, practice.

for a simple reference, see this.

^ this.

My wife's grip will make you think twice about giving her a nice pen.  It's harmless but it looks awkward and gives her hand pain to write for long periods of time.  She learned on ballpoints and hard pencils.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #505 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 09:26:32 »
Triangle Grip is not essential..  In fact, you don't need to hold a pen in any particular way..

The only issue you need to watch out for is OVER-CONTROL..  which is what Binge seems to be describing in his Wife..

Over-Control.. is not allowing for any deviation from strict letter form by using a very tense hand..

^^^ this is not wrong, but it's not sustainable for long writing.. which isn't actually a problem in the modern day.. sign a check, what 3-10 times a week..

The important thing is to ONLY use the force necessary..  Much like in the speed compendium.

USE FORCE..  but do not HOLD... [the HOLDING is what causes all the tensing]

The difference here is that with handwriting, you don't need maximum force because that will not accelerate your writing vs typing..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #506 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 15:18:28 »

Last night's handwriting practice with a new style F. Gotta work on it some more.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #507 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:02:09 »
Show Image

Last night's handwriting practice with a new style F. Gotta work on it some more.

The cross bar in the middle makes it look like a T to me. Probably only because it extends on both sides.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #508 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 16:03:54 »
Yeah it's definitely not ideal yet but we're working on it. It's supposed to be a simplified version of the really cool flourish-y F's I saw but I'm not sure I like it yet.

Show Image

Saw some upper case Fs on Instagram and I'm stealing them for myself. Trying out some new Fs here.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #509 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 17:52:31 »
Lots of discussions here!

I'm still fairly new to the pen world (although I've been in it for just a bit less than keyboards)

Got myself the Stormy Gray ink yesterday and it's fantastic in my newbie opinion.

Writing with the sailor 1911 custom ground and the stormy gray just feels wonderful. Now to practice my handwriting...

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #510 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:05:47 »
I started my plunge into the fp world with a starter Lamy Safari w/ fine point and cartridge converter. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING, but I'm stoked.

Took a night of contemplation for me to get here. I was researching my first BIFL mechanical pencil for about half the night, decided it was the rOtring Rapid Pro, took a nap to "sleep on it" (my gf's advice), woke up and decided I still wanted it, then realized I also want a nice, durable pen to accompany it. It was about 10x easier to figure out what pen I wanted to start off with and took about 20 minutes of research, versus the hours I spent reading up on mech pencilz
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #511 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:19:29 »
i feel like im the only one that does not like the safari. so damn awkward to use.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #512 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:25:18 »
i feel like im the only one that does not like the safari. so damn awkward to use.

is it bc it's made of abs and not pbt your favorite kind of plastic
diary of a clacktalk

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #513 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:26:51 »
nah. i cant do tri grip. i dont find it comfortable at all.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:52:10 by demik »

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #514 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:28:09 »
nah. i cant fo tri grip. i dont find it comfortable at all.

i'll let u choose my next fountain pen if i ever decide to take that next step.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #515 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:43:24 »

Oblique nibs on LAMY pens are the only reason I've ever wanted to use one (CPT).  Otherwise the section is not my cup of tea.  You aren't alone.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #516 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 18:48:47 »

Oblique nibs on LAMY pens are the only reason I've ever wanted to use one (CPT).  Otherwise the section is not my cup of tea.  You aren't alone.

I only like the extra fine Lamy tips. Past that, I'll go with a vanishing point, or my impressa in a medium because I don't like anyone else's fine points.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #517 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:52:51 »
nah. i cant fo tri grip. i dont find it comfortable at all.

i'll let u choose my next fountain pen if i ever decide to take that next step.

huge fan of twsbi. steeper than safari, but worth the price imo

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #518 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 20:43:02 »

Love that Pelikan. Had it ground by Tim Girdler in Philly into a pillow italic Oblique Nib.

/insert goldmember gif

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #519 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 20:58:35 »
The most solid pen companies I can recommend people to start with...

• TWSBI
  • Pelikan
  • Pilot

No particular order.  Within those companies there is a pen(and nib) for every type of writer.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #520 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 21:08:00 »
The most solid pen companies I can recommend people to start with...

• TWSBI
  • Pelikan
  • Pilot

No particular order.  Within those companies there is a pen(and nib) for every type of writer.

I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan last night. Started with fine nib because majority of what I write with is .5 and .3
I'll see how I fare with my first pen.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #521 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 21:20:35 »
Show Image

Love that Pelikan. Had it ground by Tim Girdler in Philly into a pillow italic Oblique Nib.

Show Image

/insert goldmember gif

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #522 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 23:04:46 »
My thoughts regarding the discussion on improving handwriting:

I think that getting a fountain pen will help motivate you to get better. The thought that my terrible hand didn't match the pretty pen was enough to make me want to improve it. It also makes things a lot less tiring.
Grip is not so important. I personally use the traditional triangle grip, but I have a friend who writes with a completely different grip and still comes up with stuff like this. You can see glances of her grip in the video as well.
What is more important is the writing technique: do not move your fingers and wrist. Simply hold the pen (without grasping it forcefully), and use your entire arm, from the shoulder down, to move the pen around. This is a LOT less tiring, and also allows you to do both fine motions and bold motions very easily. This is /the/ most important aspect for handwriting.
Of course, do hold a fountain pen at the proper angle, anywhere from 30 to 60 degrees. Not too high, not too low.

And of course, practice.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #523 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 23:25:02 »

I think that getting a fountain pen will help motivate you to get better. The thought that my terrible hand didn't match the pretty pen was enough to make me want to improve it. It also makes things a lot less tiring.
Grip is not so important. I personally use the traditional triangle grip, but I have a friend who writes with a completely different grip and still comes up with stuff like this. You can see glances of her grip in the video as well.
What is more important is the writing technique: do not move your fingers and wrist. Simply hold the pen (without grasping it forcefully), and use your entire arm, from the shoulder down, to move the pen around. This is a LOT less tiring, and also allows you to do both fine motions and bold motions very easily. This is /the/ most important aspect for handwriting.
Of course, do hold a fountain pen at the proper angle, anywhere from 30 to 60 degrees. Not too high, not too low.

Show Image

And of course, practice.
I practiced writing the Nato alphabet about 6 times, 3 in pen and 3 in lead pencil just so I can adjust to the difference in smoothness, and I noticed that loosening my grip doesn't make any difference in my writing, so now I don't have to death grip, and it looks better than before, but after I work on my print, then will I start on my cursive and what-not, as my cursive looks like spaghetti-o's and spaghetti noodles' love child.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #524 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 14:23:00 »

Show Image

And of course, practice.

i enjoy reading your posts zeroblade, very informative and great handwriting by the way :thumb:

i am a little older than most here, but have been collecting fountain pens since i was a kid :eek:

most of mine are vintage, however CptBadAss and Binge have got me hooked on a few modern pens that i really enjoy.

i don't cursive........i only print unfortunately :-\

i used to work with architects, architectural drawings and have never got away from printing for some reason............
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 January 2015, 14:24:43 by terrpn »
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #525 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 15:56:57 »
From the Philly Show

Thank you CptBadAss and Binge :-*

Oh yea...........written with a Duofold International Broad Oblique Italic

« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 16:00:05 by terrpn »
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #526 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 16:12:40 »
From the Philly Show

Thank you CptBadAss and Binge :-*

Oh yea...........written with a Duofold International Broad Oblique Italic

That print is to die for :)  Love the line width and shape of the letters.  Oh yeah color is neat too :p

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #527 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:05:04 »
I got way too into pens last year. My favorites are probably my Edisons, but I like lots of them in different price ranges, vintage and new.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #528 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:36:26 »
I got way too into pens last year. My favorites are probably my Edisons, but I like lots of them in different price ranges, vintage and new.

That's awesome.  I wanted to meet the Edison Pen Co. at Philly, but I think life intervened and they were unable to go :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #530 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 17:01:51 »
http://imgur.com/gallery/2zMBx

I gotta make that jump. Brb, practicing handwriting again lol.

Oooo another Edison fan :). I'm currently trying to figure out how I can afford one of their Menlos. Would you be willing to share some pictures? :D

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #531 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 18:44:24 »
Hi _______.

Thanks for your interest.

There is a possibility of a plunger filler in the future, but I can tell you for sure not this year.

Let me know how else I can help.

Best regards,

Brian Gray
Edison Pen Co, LLC

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #532 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 20:14:14 »

Oooo another Edison fan :). I'm currently trying to figure out how I can afford one of their Menlos. Would you be willing to share some pictures? :D

I don't have any Menlos, but here is a Collier and a Hudson.

88997-0
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #533 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 20:39:24 »

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

ooohhhhh that tortoise :thumb:
More

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #534 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 20:42:49 »
I wonder if I should get a Japanese extra fine or an extra extra fine if the Japanese even grind those.
My pen is too inky to use on tests or the cheap paper I use for note taking.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #535 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:03:28 »
I wonder if I should get a Japanese extra fine or an extra extra fine if the Japanese even grind those.

if you work with #5-#6 nibs get a twsbi xf nib and some noodler's x-feather

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #536 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:07:22 »

if you work with #5-#6 nibs get a twsbi xf nib and some noodler's x-feather

#5 or #6 you say? Hmmmm maybe that's an excuse for me to get that sexy, sexy Edison Majestic Pine.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #537 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:44:18 »

(Attachment Link)

That transluscent material is lovely.  Which pen is that?

I both love and hate the upper case G. I feel like if its on point and right, it looks so good. And when I **** it up, it looks disgusting. Was playing around with it tonight. Please excuse the railroading.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #538 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:45:19 »

(Attachment Link)

I both love and hate the upper case G. I feel like if its on point and right, it looks so good. And when I **** it up, it looks disgusting. Was playing around with it tonight. Please excuse the railroading.

I usually like to use a printed G when I have to.
However, if someone asks me to make a cursive G I will and it usually turns out alright.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #539 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:55:57 »

i just ordered a Platinum 3776 with UEF nib............

will shoot a writing sample to the thread as soon as i get it
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:58:20 by terrpn »
More

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #540 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:59:18 »

will shoot a writing sample to the thread as soon as i get ir

A Japanese Ultra Extra Fine??!?
Ok I HAVE to see this!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #541 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:02:06 »
Also, I need a real flex pen instead of the E95S that I have....
I wrecked the thing so freaking much that the nib popped off on two occasions.
Still fully functional, but that can't be good.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #542 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:02:12 »

will shoot a writing sample to the thread as soon as i get ir

A Japanese Ultra Extra Fine??!?
Ok I HAVE to see this!
Show Image

its probably a hair
More

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #543 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:05:28 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

For u bro,

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #544 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:19:18 »
Ultra extra fine? I got a writing sample right here.

Broad or bust!

For u bro,

Show Image

They're so consistent! I really need to do G drills....

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #545 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:19:50 »

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

For u bro,

Show Image

This is the type of G I like writing.

Today I found two packs of paper, Southworth four star. One pack is 20lb correspondence and the other is 9lb fine business. I've had them forever and I guess they would be good to use with a fountain pen. I'll have to give them each a try. I imagine they're going to be better than standard noteboook or printer paper, which is my only other options.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #546 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:21:39 »
I imagine they're going to be better than standard noteboook or printer paper, which is my only other options.

At work we have this 75 lb HP copier/printer paper that is pretty good with fountain pens. 90 lb HP is good too. You don't need to go crazy with Rhodia or Field Notes like I do. In fact, I've got some 90 lb HP and Rhodia paper that I can send you if you would like. PM me if you're interested.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #547 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:35:23 »
I imagine they're going to be better than standard noteboook or printer paper, which is my only other options.

At work we have this 75 lb HP copier/printer paper that is pretty good with fountain pens. 90 lb HP is good too. You don't need to go crazy with Rhodia or Field Notes like I do. In fact, I've got some 90 lb HP and Rhodia paper that I can send you if you would like. PM me if you're interested.

Sounds like I need to put some time into paper knowledge. The correspondence pack I have has the texture of construction paper but is thin like standard printer paper. The business paper feels thin like tracing paper but has a texture like it got wet. I guess that's what it means by cockle finish. Also says onionskin on it. Seems this is actually typewriter paper. Which is cool because I have one to use this with, haha.

Thanks! I'll shoot you a PM.
Keyboards
More

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #548 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 22:40:21 »

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #549 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:43:17 »
Ultra extra fine? I got a writing sample right here.

Show Image

Broad or bust!

For u bro,

Show Image

They're so consistent! I really need to do G drills....

you a'int right :))
More