Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427498 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #600 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:19:07 »
Bought these off amazon, basically just to see if I like the Ultra-fine nib. If I do, I plan to pick up a nicer model to carry
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KRXPN5W/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVHPCG21UKS8

looks like a hero?

Title says it's a Hero 9296

With that said, I don't think they come with ink. I have a bottle of Brothers Stamp Ink .. would that be OK to use?

What is the ink made of?  If it's not a water/surfactant based ink then most likely not.

No it's not ok to use. :(
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #601 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:22:42 »
:(

I didn't notice until after I ordered that ink may/may not be included

Happen to know where to buy some for cheapish in a box store?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #602 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:52:01 »

Cheapish?  It depends on what brands are available @ staples.  They have a rather expensive ink

Staples carries, http://www.staples.com/Namiki-Bottled-Ink-from-Pilot-Black-Each/product_935794

It's a simple black ink that behaves well in pens.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #603 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:55:25 »
I'll go up there and check once the pens come in.

My mom wanted one too :P , she likes the Varsitys but has the same complain't about line thickness that I do

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #604 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 17:30:46 »

Cheapish?  It depends on what brands are available @ staples.  They have a rather expensive ink

Staples carries, http://www.staples.com/Namiki-Bottled-Ink-from-Pilot-Black-Each/product_935794

It's a simple black ink that behaves well in pens.

Black ink??    Yuck!!!    ;D ;D

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #605 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 17:46:57 »
I'll go up there and check once the pens come in.

My mom wanted one too :P , she likes the Varsitys but has the same complain't about line thickness that I do

Let me know if you need help/want to keep it cheap.  I can do some neat things with nibs :)

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #606 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 07:28:56 »
just tuned the **** out of my safari's nib with zero tools and the help of youtube. First I smoothed it as much as I could, then I made it wetter. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with how my fp writes.

I'm aware of how fortunate I am that this experiment did not go awry. Instead of a broken pen, I only ended up with really splotchy fingers. Yay me yay self-praise
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #607 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 07:33:54 »
just tuned the **** out of my safari's nib with zero tools and the help of youtube. First I smoothed it as much as I could, then I made it wetter. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with how my fp writes.

I'm aware of how fortunate I am that this experiment did not go awry. Instead of a broken pen, I only ended up with really splotchy fingers. Yay me yay self-praise

Tuning is part of this hobby.  Have to tune imperfect pens.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #608 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 10:59:35 »

link to the video?

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #609 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 04:46:16 »

Tuning is part of this hobby.  Have to tune imperfect pens.

It's ridiculous how a bit of tuning makes such a big difference. I guess ideally, I wouldn't mind if the nib felt amazing out of box, but I'm really down with the tuning aspect.

link to the video?

I used these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_bNRrPk5MY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig5cTFv4lXo

The smoothing part is around 11:30 in the first video after he whips out the micro mesh. Good luck!
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Jixr

« Reply #610 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 10:38:46 »
I have a new nib coming in the mail today, and figured I would mess with my old one to see what I could do with it.

Offline HalfSharkAlligator

« Reply #611 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 12:05:13 »
For anyone looking for more tuning videos (not that SBRE Brown's aren't great, because they are), Matt from The Pen Habit has been putting up some really great high-quality videos in a new series on pen tuning, modification, repair, etc.  He uses magnification lenses etc as well which really helps to see exactly how to work the nib.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PenHabit/videos  (Adjusting Your Fountain Pen series which have been posted in the last few weeks)

And if are doing this, buy a loupe!  You can buy a serviceable one for like $10 that will give your eyes super-powers. Goulet Pens has one for $7 iirc.  Not that you have to buy one specifically from a pen shop, but it does give you a reason to toss a pen or some ink in your cart too  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #612 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 12:07:50 »
Or if you're already on GH, maybe you've got some helping hands with the magnifying glass laying around? I use that in lieu of a loupe. I'll probably grab one but just a thought :).

And I really like those Pen Habit videos too HalfSharkAlligator.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 13:48:32 »
Horray! my Extra fine nib came in the mail.

Its a bit scratchy, but i guess that's expected with an EF nib.

Only thing I don't like about it is my brown ink i use looks quite a bit lighter than it did before.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #614 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:38:26 »
The Hero 9296 pens came in today ... I am not a fan.

I really like how thin the line is BUT the are super scratchy and do not deliver ink well at all, compared to Pilot Varsity's

I guess Im going to have to try something a little more expensive / better quality

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #615 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:44:32 »
The Hero 9296 pens came in today ... I am not a fan.

I really like how thin the line is BUT the are super scratchy and do not deliver ink well at all, compared to Pilot Varsity's

I guess Im going to have to try something a little more expensive / better quality

scratchy nibs have the advantage when it comes to control..

and they're more ideal vs a smooth nib when it comes to penmenship practice..

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #616 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:48:59 »
maybe, but a pen that doesnt deliver ink evenly is useless

EDIT: if I write a sentence and have to go back and "fill" in letters that are missing sections then that pen is worthless.

I do NOT have this issue with Varsity's

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:54:24 by tigersharkdude »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #617 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:51:44 »

EDIT: if I write a sentence and have to go back and "fill" in letters that are missing sections then that pen is worthless

Don't listen to him.  you may have babies bottom or the pen may not be properly flushed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #618 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:54:08 »

EDIT: if I write a sentence and have to go back and "fill" in letters that are missing sections then that pen is worthless.

try loosening the tip by pushing the nib lightly in the direction towards the more open end of the hood

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #619 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 17:58:31 »
Junk pens are junk. They both have the exact same issues.

When i first filled them up they wrote a little, 10 minutes later and they aren't delivering any ink

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #620 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 18:11:49 »

try loosening the tip by pushing the nib lightly in the direction towards the more open end of the hood

this helped a little bit for better ink flow.

Im still having an issue of it being much more difficult / precise to write though. It's kind of hard to explain, the Varsity's are much easier to write with but the Hero's are difficult. You have to try numerous times to get a line going.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #621 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 04:04:29 »
Considering getting a Pilot MR. Worth it?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #622 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 05:39:48 »
Absolutely. What concerns do you have about it?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:57:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #623 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:01:45 »
Absolute. What concerns do you have about it?

Whether it's worth the extra money from the other option, a Lamy Safari. IMO the MR looks better, but not sure which will be better to write with.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #624 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:57:15 »
Whether it's worth the extra money from the other option, a Lamy Safari. IMO the MR looks better, but not sure which will be better to write with.

If you've got easy access to buying the MR, I'd highly recommend picking that up over a Safari. I like how the nib writes better. I think the MR/Metropolitan look is better than the Safari. It's half the price. And it's made of brass. It's got a little heft to it that feels great. The MR comes with an ink converter *and* ink cartridges.

I think the Metropolitan/MR is the best beginners fountain pen out there right now. And I started on a Safari.

The Varsity and Preppy are OK but I still like the idea of starting off with a Metropolitan or Safari.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 February 2015, 06:59:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline caligo

« Reply #625 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 07:43:26 »

My Kaweco Lilliput I carry with me in my pocket at all times, which is why it's got quite a patina going. The Kaweco AL Sport is what I use for longer writing sessions as it is somewhat more comfortable to hold, being a larger pen and all. The weight is more or less the same though, the Lilliput is made of brass which is quite a bit denser than the aluminium of the AL Sport. Both with extra fine nibs – as you can see my handwriting is quite small. The writing here was done in Kawweco's blue ink, but in general I mostly use J. Herbin ink of various colours.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #626 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 07:54:19 »
Show Image

My Kaweco Lilliput I carry with me in my pocket at all times, which is why it's got quite a patina going. The Kaweco AL Sport is what I use for longer writing sessions as it is somewhat more comfortable to hold, being a larger pen and all. The weight is more or less the same though, the Lilliput is made of brass which is quite a bit denser than the aluminium of the AL Sport. Both with extra fine nibs � as you can see my handwriting is quite small. The writing here was done in Kawweco's blue ink, but in general I mostly use J. Herbin ink of various colours.

Nice pens! I've been eyeing both of those for a while but for whatever reason, I haven't picked either up.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #627 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 10:21:07 »

If you've got easy access to buying the MR, I'd highly recommend picking that up over a Safari. I like how the nib writes better. I think the MR/Metropolitan look is better than the Safari. It's half the price. And it's made of brass. It's got a little heft to it that feels great. The MR comes with an ink converter *and* ink cartridges.

I think the Metropolitan/MR is the best beginners fountain pen out there right now. And I started on a Safari.

The Varsity and Preppy are OK but I still like the idea of starting off with a Metropolitan or Safari.

Looks like that's decided then :) Thanks for your input.

Offline caligo

« Reply #628 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 17:01:12 »
Nice pens! I've been eyeing both of those for a while but for whatever reason, I haven't picked either up.

The Lilliput in particular is something I'd recommend to anyone who's into fountain pens. It's basically the fountain pen equivalent of the Fisher Bullet Space Pen - it takes up so little room you can always carry it in your pocket, and it does not really matter if it gets scratched and worn as it adds character more than anything else. There are lots of nice fountain pens, but I don't think that there's anything quite as small and durable.

Offline iri

« Reply #629 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 02:03:50 »

The Lilliput in particular is something I'd recommend to anyone who's into fountain pens. It's basically the fountain pen equivalent of the Fisher Bullet Space Pen - it takes up so little room you can always carry it in your pocket, and it does not really matter if it gets scratched and worn as it adds character more than anything else. There are lots of nice fountain pens, but I don't think that there's anything quite as small and durable.
kaweco sport.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline caligo

« Reply #630 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 04:05:38 »

kaweco sport.

As in 'the Kaweco Sport is as small and durable as the Lilliput'? Well, durability definitly -- at least the AL version, especially the Raw Aluminium finish which will wear in rather nicely and of course the stone washed ones which are pre-worn. But size? It's short when capped, sure, but not as short as the Lilliput. It's also about 30 % thicker than the Lilliput, disgregarding the pocket clip which is removable. There are lots of rather short pens, but not that many really thin ones. Here's a comparison of some different ones. The Sport is only slightly shorter than the (surpisingly quite nice) cheap J. Herbin pen, but while they're both quite a bit shorter than the Lamy Safari they're still as thick as it, while the Lilliput is significantly thinner. Not that you couldn't carry the Sport in your pocket, but it does not really bring out that 'so small I almost forget it's there' feeling (at least not for me).  :)

Offline Larken

« Reply #631 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 06:29:12 »

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #632 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 06:51:25 »
I love how mod-friendly TWSBIs are. My only regret is that I didn't buy a 580 sooner than I did. Nice pen Larken!

Offline Larken

« Reply #633 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 08:46:50 »
Thanks CPTBadass, it's nice to finally chime in after lurking in the thread for a while. (became interested in fountain pens after I got sent a Pilot Metro from massdrop). Since then I've tried the Pilot Metro, Lamy Safari, Noodler's Konrad (there's also the Varsity, which I wasn't a fan of).

I love the TWSBI too, as it really hits a good spot between feature/price. It did take alot of futzing before it became my favorite pen. Misaligned tines, flow issues. Ef being still too thick for my everyday writing. But the piston mechanism and ink capacity was a great draw that made me determined to make it work, which led to ordering a #5 needlepoint from a nibmeister and putting it in the TWSBI; after smoothing it a little, it writes lines similar to that of the pilot hi-tec 0.4, and can be used on the reverse to write hair-thin lines. (which was why I had the extra ef to play around with).

caveat; I often have to write lousy printer paper for work, so thick nibs that lay down loads of ink are pretty much impossible to use. Also, I'm a southpaw, which means anything that lays down a thick, wet line is going to get smudged. The needlepoint is pretty much my only pen I can use on all sorts of paper + write at normal speeds without the paper getting inky dots all over. The Safari is a close second, but I do get slight smudges occasionally, even using reasonably dry inks.

Other random thoughts;

Out of the box, the Safari was probably the best writer; much better than the TWSBI, which was actually problematic.  I did minimal tuning on mine, mostly smoothing and made it finer. (Western EFs are still not fine enough for my preferences). I would've been satisfied with the Safari if not for the crappy convertor/capacity; well, not exactly crappy, but once I got used to how much ink a piston pen holds....

The Konrad was fun, but impossible to use on crappy paper, and the build quality leaves a lot to be desired, but it was a great flex pen modded; much better than the TWSBI flex, which is decent but not amazing). Although, to be fair, the noodler's nib was extremely smooth to write with, the lines that it laid down was pretty similar to the pilot varsity I've tried. (I'd modded the noodler's for extra flex too, but days after I got it perfect, it got ruined after a nib first drop to the ground. /sigh.) I might get another Ahab/Konrad in the future for a nice flex pen, or get a TWSBI VAC700 try to fit a noodler's nib in.

Pilot Metro - my first proper fountain pen. Very smooth writer. the M sized nib and ink flow had the same problems as the Noodler/TWSBI F; ie. ink feathering all over the paper; but in fairness, it worked great on my personal notebooks. I think I would've probably liked the Japanese F (although I think my actual preference would go towards a smoothed EF). The squeeze convertor is a big minus, although I guess it was understandable given the price point. I ended up turning my metro into a stub after an early screw up learning how to grind nibs, but I might try getting a Pilot Penmanship for a nice EF and swap the nib into the metro.

Between the Safari and the Metro, I've pretty much switched to using a separate syringe to fill my pens for less mess.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline neralo

« Reply #634 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 05:56:50 »
Thanks rowdy's reply on my introduction thread, I was introduced to this particular thread. I've found a home here. Got my first FP about a year ago, and have been collecting more and more ever since.

These are my current daily writers, minus my Muji FP. Excuse the shoddy handwriting, its tough to keep up with my prof in class.

currently saving up to get my hands on a Sailor KoP, or a Vanishing Point, though that took a little back seat to the keyboard i just bought for myself. Lol. 
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #635 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 06:20:27 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

that's hella nice for only $50

I think i may pick one up

http://www.twsbi.com/products/twsbi-diamond-580-clear-fountain-pen

Offline Larken

« Reply #636 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 21:41:03 »
The Twsbi(s) are nice, but I think you might still have complaints about the line thickness on an EF from Jowo (I had the same problem). The stock nibs on the TWSBI are usually quite smooth and wet writers, but they often require quite a bit of tweaking to get just right.

In the end I went with a needlepoint for daily writing. Attached a picture for comparisons between the few pens I have.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #637 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 05:55:44 »
The Twsbi(s) are nice, but I think you might still have complaints about the line thickness on an EF from Jowo (I had the same problem). The stock nibs on the TWSBI are usually quite smooth and wet writers, but they often require quite a bit of tweaking to get just right.

In the end I went with a needlepoint for daily writing. Attached a picture for comparisons between the few pens I have.

Show Image

I got a 580USA with a Broad nib. Worked fine out of the box and I've inked it with Rouge Hematite. The little gold particles haven't clogged the pen or anything. I really like it :).

Thanks rowdy's reply on my introduction thread, I was introduced to this particular thread. I've found a home here. Got my first FP about a year ago, and have been collecting more and more ever since.

Show Image

These are my current daily writers, minus my Muji FP. Excuse the shoddy handwriting, its tough to keep up with my prof in class.

currently saving up to get my hands on a Sailor KoP, or a Vanishing Point, though that took a little back seat to the keyboard i just bought for myself. Lol. 

Aww your photo doesn't work :(. And I think a Vanishing Point is a little easier to save up for :)). KoP are a bit of a stretch. I use my VP daily at work. It's amazing. It looks like a ballpoint so no one bothers me when I use it. I can use it one handed; which I definitely need in a factory. And the nib feels incredible. I pair it with a Field Notes notebook :).

Offline neralo

« Reply #638 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 09:57:05 »
Aww your photo doesn't work :(. And I think a Vanishing Point is a little easier to save up for :)). KoP are a bit of a stretch. I use my VP daily at work. It's amazing. It looks like a ballpoint so no one bothers me when I use it. I can use it one handed; which I definitely need in a factory. And the nib feels incredible. I pair it with a Field Notes notebook :).

OOPS, i think i deleted the original imgur file by accident. here it is again hahaha

My dad actually goes to Japan nearly weekly on business, so I can actually ask him to help me get a KoP or a VP for cheap (well, cheaper), but I'm really interested in the VP cos I intend to use it as a daily writer. Pity the stormtrooper model is so expensive :(
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #639 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 09:59:00 »
Show Image

My dad actually goes to Japan nearly weekly on business, so I can actually ask him to help me get a KoP or a VP for cheap (well, cheaper), but I'm really interested in the VP cos I intend to use it as a daily writer. Pity the stormtrooper model is so expensive :(

What pen is on the top of the page?

Ugh, I've been eyeing the stormtrooper too! And I wish I had a hookup in Japan. Actually, no I don't. My wallet is happier that way. :))

Offline neralo

« Reply #640 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:20:15 »
Thats a random no brand pen my SO got me from Pike's Peak Market in Seattle. It's made from Cocobolo wood, with an IPG steel F nib. Writes really well, and I got Noodler's Walnut specifically to match with it. haha

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #641 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 14:45:03 »
For CI lovers check out Nemosine's variety of #6 nibs.  Couple bits of odd variety.  :thumb:

http://www.nemosine.com/collections/accessories

Offline Jixr

« Reply #642 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:13:15 »
this sucks, i'm spending tons of money trying to figure out what nib I like best.

Bought an EF nib since I like the thin lines, but it just felt too scratchy, my F nib is okay, but still kinda catches, so now I'm going to try a medium nib. Hopefully that will be smooth enough for me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #643 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:15:17 »
Bought an EF nib since I like the thin lines, but it just felt too scratchy, my F nib is okay, but still kinda catches, so now I'm going to try a medium nib. Hopefully that will be smooth enough for me.

Have you tried smoothing your nibs out at all? If you like the F or EF, you can use a brown paper bag to try smoothing it out.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #644 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:25:01 »
I have attempted it, but I think I've done it too much on my EF. The little ball at the end of the nib is pretty much non existant, and I'm unsure if I should leave it as is, or attempt to see if I can smooth it out some more.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #645 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:26:27 »
Iridium vs a bit of paper. I think Iridium will win. I'd just go slow and see what you can do with it. There's other smoothing materials like micromesh which Anderson Pens and Goulet Pens sells. Just don't use sandpaper. Get something real fine and go slow. Should be fine.

Thats a random no brand pen my SO got me from Pike's Peak Market in Seattle. It's made from Cocobolo wood, with an IPG steel F nib. Writes really well, and I got Noodler's Walnut specifically to match with it. haha

Interesting. I find pens like that are usually weighted poorly. Glad to see you're into it :).

For CI lovers check out Nemosine's variety of #6 nibs.  Couple bits of odd variety.  :thumb:

http://www.nemosine.com/collections/accessories

Huh? Aren't those .6mm and .8 mm stubs? Not the same as a CI?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:28:35 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Jixr

« Reply #646 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:29:48 »
I may or may not have already attempted polishing it using 4000 grit sand paper and soapy water :P

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #647 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 10:59:39 »
Iridium vs a bit of paper. I think Iridium will win. I'd just go slow and see what you can do with it. There's other smoothing materials like micromesh which Anderson Pens and Goulet Pens sells. Just don't use sandpaper. Get something real fine and go slow. Should be fine.

Would the smoother side of a nail buffing block would work?
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #648 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:55:38 »

Would the smoother side of a nail buffing block would work?

Yes. I used that and a brown paper bag for the longest time.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #649 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:28:18 »
am being lazy and have not read all of your posts, but you should not need to spend a lot of money on a fountain pen?

if you want something thin and smooth you cannot get much smoother out of the box than with any Pilot

a Japanese fine will put you somewhere between a western extra-fine and fine and will be smooth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-FPRN350R-TLG-F-Light-Green-Prera-Fountain-Pen-Point-Type-Fine-/191501649393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c966345f1

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g