Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427461 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #800 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 08:48:21 »
The lost art of writing. I had to learn cursive in school and it stuck with me. I've had Sheafer, Parker, Pilot and a few other pens over the years. My daily is a cheapo Pilot.

I wish I could write daily in cursive. I write far too slowly though. Nice handwriting.

Do I win a prize?

Ten gold stars!

i'm gonna start playing with a flex nib soon!

Which one smacktalk?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #801 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 06:06:26 »
Quick question: store fountain pens with nib up or down?

I can see that if stored down and there is a leak, it will be very messy.

I can also see that if stored up, the nib might dry out.

Thoughts?  Experiences?

PS. Just got my two Pilot V-Pen disposable fountain pens (gotta start somewhere) :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #802 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 07:35:45 »
A pen that ur using often, it doesn't matter

Storage, you'd flush and dry.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #803 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 07:44:28 »

Thoughts?  Experiences?

PS. Just got my two Pilot V-Pen disposable fountain pens (gotta start somewhere) :)
Doesn't really matter in my experience and I like V Pens a lot.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #804 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 13:01:38 »

Thoughts?  Experiences?

Horizontal is the best storage, but like TP-4 suggested if you are using the pen a lot it does not matter too much.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #805 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 16:48:12 »
Thanks guys :)

Next silly question: leave the cap on or off during the day?

With the ball point pens I tend to take the cap off at the beginning of the day, then carry pen and clipboard around with me all day, ready to write at an instant's notice.

Is leaving the cap off all day recommended for a fountain pen?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #806 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:11:58 »
Cap definitely on when not in use. Never leave it uncapped for extended periods of time. It'll help accelerate the evaporation of your ink.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #807 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:12:44 »
Cap definitely on when not in use. Never leave it uncapped for extended periods of time. It'll help accelerate the evaporation of your ink.

Ok, thanks :)

Offline wakko

« Reply #808 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 18:32:19 »

what he said
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #809 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 01:30:37 »
Just got a Sheaffer 300 in black and gold trim for $28....with the converter, extra ink, and a red case.

Love my Scheaffer Calligraphy pen with fine nib...can't wait to try this one!!! And of course there will be a handwriting photo.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #810 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 16:53:51 »
Massdrop pulled through on an amazing Visconti deal only to give me the wrong nib!  Oh well... still gotta take pics :)

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #811 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 19:02:45 »
Hi guys, are there any general but important pointers to help improve your handwriting?

Like what kind of mental image should I have/ do you point the pen up straight / grip it firmly / do you focus on your elbow, etc.

edit: I guess the question's a little broad, since I don't own a fountain pen yet and I'm just practicing with my normal .3 and .5 pen :P
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2015, 19:46:12 by sorijealut »

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #812 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 19:20:06 »
Gaaaah, I love writing now! I've been doodling/practicing off and on pretty much all day everyday. SO! here is a little photo dump -

I got a Noodler's Ahab because I wanted to try a flex pen for a decent price so CPTBadAss suggested it. I was a tiny bit dissappointed at first because I had to push really hard to get much flex, but after some fiddling and dremeling, I got it working pretty nicely. I also ordered around 20 ink samples through Goulet and find that I really love the Yama Budo (I knew I would!)

Anyway, here is where I'm at!

This shows the line variation I'm able to get with the Noodler's Ahab after a bit of nib tweaking.

I tend to write the same letter over and over and over again until I get it how I like it before writing a word.

This shows the nib that I dremeled down. There are a couple ways to do it, according to google. It was intimidating at first but pretty simple.

And here is just something I did by a lamp while my power was out. outlined in Noodler's blue black, filled in with prismacolor marker. The thick/thin lines were inspired by my new love for flexin!

omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #813 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 19:25:03 »
Gaaaah, I love writing now! I've been doodling/practicing off and on pretty much all day everyday. SO! here is a little photo dump -

I got a Noodler's Ahab because I wanted to try a flex pen for a decent price so CPTBadAss suggested it. I was a tiny bit dissappointed at first because I had to push really hard to get much flex, but after some fiddling and dremeling, I got it working pretty nicely. I also ordered around 20 ink samples through Goulet and find that I really love the Yama Budo (I knew I would!)

Show Image

Show Image

This shows the line variation I'm able to get with the Noodler's Ahab after a bit of nib tweaking.
Show Image

I tend to write the same letter over and over and over again until I get it how I like it before writing a word.
Show Image

This shows the nib that I dremeled down. There are a couple ways to do it, according to google. It was intimidating at first but pretty simple.
Show Image

And here is just something I did by a lamp while my power was out. outlined in Noodler's blue black, filled in with prismacolor marker. The thick/thin lines were inspired by my new love for flexin!
Show Image

:eek:  WOW  :eek:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #814 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 19:42:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I feel so small and pathetic in the presence of such skillz.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #815 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 19:48:19 »
-Booper's amazing artwork-

Oh ma gah...  :eek:

Offline Larken

« Reply #816 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 23:25:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

damnnn, that's some lovely writing, booper.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #817 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 06:59:06 »

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome! :)

I wish my writing was 1/10 as good as that with a fountain pen!

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #818 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 13:28:44 »
Thanks for the kind words! I am glad I discovered this fountain pen thread which gave me motivation to practice my writing. I've always wanted nice handwriting even though most people think it's pointless these days :) I should probably start practicing my print now too because I'm terrible at that. haha.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #819 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 13:31:34 »
Thanks for the kind words! I am glad I discovered this fountain pen thread which gave me motivation to practice my writing. I've always wanted nice handwriting even though most people think it's pointless these days :) I should probably start practicing my print now too because I'm terrible at that. haha.

Get to work on your print. It's important :P
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline HalfSharkAlligator

« Reply #820 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 14:09:14 »
Massdrop pulled through on an amazing Visconti deal only to give me the wrong nib!  Oh well... still gotta take pics :)

Show Image

Show Image

Those are both gorgeous pens, Binge.  Do you have the MD link for that drop?  I missed it, and would like to get on the request list so I get notified if it becomes active again.  I tried searching on MD and couldn't find it.  Thanks much!  (also if you decide to let one of them go, and need a buyer - please PM me  :thumb: )

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #821 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 17:36:56 »
More

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That feather is so ****ing great :D.

Hi guys, are there any general but important pointers to help improve your handwriting?

Like what kind of mental image should I have/ do you point the pen up straight / grip it firmly / do you focus on your elbow, etc.

edit: I guess the question's a little broad, since I don't own a fountain pen yet and I'm just practicing with my normal .3 and .5 pen :P

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59329.msg1606461#msg1606461

In addition to that post, I'd focus on proper handwriting holding. Hold the pen at a proper angle (as close to 45 deg as you can) with a tri grip. Unless you're doing calligraphy, I wouldn't worry about using your whole arm. Try to loosen your grip as much as you can because a firm grip leads to really heavy handed letters and often very tight letters. Just write a lot and get a feel for what does and doesn't work for you. There's tons of youtube advice and stuff on FountainPenNetwork. But unfortunately, I actually had handwriting classes and my parents forced me to work on my handwriting so I don't really have any easy links and information for you to check out. I kind of grew up with it.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #822 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 17:53:27 »
Show Image

Oh my ffing god, a really beautiful handwriting. Man I love your letters that are in red. Looks really fine and elegant. I also need to practice, but I can't get those lone letters out of my writing. This'll be my motivation ^^
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline HalfSharkAlligator

« Reply #823 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 17:57:07 »
Quote from: CPTBadAss

Try to loosen your grip as much as you can because a firm grip leads to really heavy handed letters and often very tight letters.
[/quote

I read a tip somewhere that helped me to loosen my grip. Periodically, like before a new sentence, just tap your index finger lightly three times on the pen, like you are tapping the ash from a cigarette. You'll feel the muscles in the rest of your hand relax. Just a little thing that helped me!

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #824 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 18:17:02 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59329.msg1606461#msg1606461

In addition to that post, I'd focus on proper handwriting holding. Hold the pen at a proper angle (as close to 45 deg as you can) with a tri grip. Unless you're doing calligraphy, I wouldn't worry about using your whole arm. Try to loosen your grip as much as you can because a firm grip leads to really heavy handed letters and often very tight letters. Just write a lot and get a feel for what does and doesn't work for you. There's tons of youtube advice and stuff on FountainPenNetwork. But unfortunately, I actually had handwriting classes and my parents forced me to work on my handwriting so I don't really have any easy links and information for you to check out. I kind of grew up with it.

Just the advice I've been looking for. It's probably more about practice, and practicing towards what you want it to look like, huh? I've been trying to just have a consistent and neat handwriting.
Really like what you said about a loose grip. I've been holding it at a straight angle and gripping it way too tight. Appreciate the references and I"ll be sure to check those out.

Thanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #825 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 18:19:42 »
sorijealut, glad you thought my post was helpful :). If you're not shy, please post your practice here and we can critique it. I've posted a little about the changes in my cursive that I've made. And I'm probably going to steal some letters from Booper. The other thing I didn't mention is that your handwriting will forever be changing based on what works for you at that time and what doesn't. Nothing wrong with that at all!

Offline Larken

« Reply #826 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 22:32:41 »
Stole *cough cough* borrowed some letters from Booper and decided to do some practice at flexing. I have to admit that some letters gives me quite a bit of problem, still figuring things out.

[

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #827 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 01:55:45 »
Stole *cough cough* borrowed some letters from Booper and decided to do some practice at flexing. I have to admit that some letters gives me quite a bit of problem, still figuring things out.

[
Show Image

Looking good! I love that F and the N is pretty sweet too. I hate doing M and N :(  All these cool alphabets make me want to make fonts out of GH handwriting samples

I know railroading isn't technically good, but I love the way it makes a letter look like it has outlines. I wonder if there is a pen for doing that style of lettering?

You can *borrow* any of my letters you like!

I'm not expert at fountain pens or handwriting, but I do know some things about type / fonts which I think have helped me with my handwriting. I made a little explanation of some basic "typography anatomy" and things to think about as far as overall aesthetic of your writing go.  I think it's easier to explain things visually so I made this!

Also, I like to browse google images for calligraphy/script fonts to come up with ideas on new ways to make letters interesting. If I'm trying to make a fancy quote and I'm nervous about spacing and such, I'll lightly sketch it out in pencil first and practice making small "thumbnails" to figure out how I want to do my lettering. I did a little evolution of the word "handwriting" in the top corner showing how you can take the base word, analyze it, and add more flair to it. I'm not a huge fan of how the "d" came out in that set, but o well.

In the bottom left corner I took a simple base line and tried to show how you can manipulate the same base stroke to make different letters in varying degrees of fanciness. Several of the letters in the alphabet start with some variation of a long downstroke so you can come up with one line style you feel comfortable with and use it to give your handwriting more consistency.

Hope this helps! :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 01:59:01 by Booper »

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #828 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 01:58:36 »

I'm not expert at fountain pens or handwriting, but I do know some things about type / fonts which I think have helped me with my handwriting. I made a little explanation of some basic "typography anatomy" and things to think about as far as overall aesthetic of your writing go.  I think it's easier to explain things visually so I made this!

Show Image

Also, I like to browse google images for calligraphy/script fonts to come up with ideas on new ways to make letters interesting. If I'm trying to make a fancy quote and I'm nervous about spacing and such, I'll lightly sketch it out in pencil first and practice making small "thumbnails" to figure out how I want to do my lettering. I did a little evolution of the word "handwriting" in the top corner showing how you can take the base word, analyze it, and add more flair to it. I'm not a huge fan of how the "d" came out in that set, but o well.

In the bottom left corner I took a simple base line and tried to show how you can manipulate the same base stroke to make different letters in varying degrees of fanciness. Several of the letters in the alphabet start with some variation of a long downstroke so you can come up with one line style you feel comfortable with and use it to give your handwriting more consistency.

Hope this helps! :D

Is it okay to fall in love with someone online?

WOOOah...
I was at a loss for words lol.
This is so professionally made and I can see the effort you put into making this...
This guide itself is an artwork!

So it's easier to break it up into different strokes!
It would be perfect for a GH Handwriting guide in the original post!! Thanks Booper!!
THANKS guys for all the kindness...!

sorijealut, glad you thought my post was helpful :). If you're not shy, please post your practice here and we can critique it. I've posted a little about the changes in my cursive that I've made. And I'm probably going to steal some letters from Booper. The other thing I didn't mention is that your handwriting will forever be changing based on what works for you at that time and what doesn't. Nothing wrong with that at all!

Thanks friend! Will do so if I can build up enough courage sometime :P cheers!
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 02:08:05 by sorijealut »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #829 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 02:15:01 »
There isn't a pen that specifically railroads. I think most people add those lines in afterwards as flourishes. Also I see you Booper. Student became the master.

Here's my alphabet. My flourish game is so weak compared to Boop's.

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 02:22:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #830 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 02:27:48 »

Is it okay to fall in love with someone online?

WOOOah...
I was at a loss for words lol.
This is so professionally made and I can see the effort you put into making this...
This guide itself is an artwork!

So it's easier to break it up into different strokes!
It would be perfect for a GH Handwriting guide in the original post!! Thanks Booper!!
THANKS guys for all the kindness...!

*blushes*

Thanks! I'm glad you think it's cool! I started to respond to you with some info about type that overlaps with handwriting, but I thought it would be easier to just show it. And I enjoy this sort of thing!

There isn't a pen that specifically railroads. I think most people add those lines in afterwards as flourishes. Also I see you Booper. Student became the master.

Yea, I tried to get my ahab to railroad with some sort of consistency but it just kept drying out :(

And I'm not a master by any means!  :eek:  I've been working with type for a long time and I enjoy drawing so with some cool pens and inspiration it was only a matter of time before I got into writing!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #831 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 02:29:50 »
Completely random side note? I kinda got into type because of a documentary I watched and I'm trying to incorporate it into Tactile. It's been fun mashing up graffiti styles, handwriting, and typography into one project :).

And LOL that's funny. Everyone else is trying to get away from railroading and you're trying to induce it!

Offline Larken

« Reply #832 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 02:56:26 »
Great guide Booper, there are some letters that really puzzled me for flex writing (mainly on where the swells and hairlines should be), and I haven't actually sat down and thought properly about it. Having an alphabet written out really helps.

annoyingly, the FA nib from Pilot railroads rather consistently with drier inks (such as the Pelikan Brown I have in it right now). Using the wetter Pilot inks alleviates the problem significantly, but I was getting bored with the blue-black (only Pilot ink I have atm, heh).

Added a sample where I induced railroading on purpose - which happens on a fairly consistent basis. I'm probably sending the pen off next week for a nibmeister to make some adjustments.

For that railroad effect you want, I believe there are actually dip nibs that does parallel lines, but they don't spread and close like flex pens does.

On a side note, I believe that it is possible achieve railroading with the ahab. Without doing further physical mods to the nib, try diluting your ink slightly. The main cause of railroading is due to the inability to hold an unbroken 'film' of ink while flexing; the ink is still getting to the nib, but is unable to maintain the film.

Theoretically, wetter, viscous inks tend to do better for flexing, which is why dip pens use india ink or fountain pen ink thickened with gum arabic (don't do this with fountain pens. it'll dry and ruin your pens).  Thus, if the ink lacks viscosity, the film breaks and should result in railroads.

I believe your attempts resulted in drying out due to the tines separating to a point where the film breaks, but at the same time, the ink is no longer able to reach the tips of the nib.

@ CBA - I like that F and the L you have there.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 03:08:25 by Larken »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #833 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 15:26:29 »

Show Image

Show Image

Those are both gorgeous pens, Binge.  Do you have the MD link for that drop?  I missed it, and would like to get on the request list so I get notified if it becomes active again.  I tried searching on MD and couldn't find it.  Thanks much!  (also if you decide to let one of them go, and need a buyer - please PM me  :thumb: )

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/visconti-homo-sapiens-florentine-hills?mode=guest_open

I'd be happy to let you know if I am down on my luck and these need a better home :p  I'm looking to prevent that sort of eventuality, and I hope massdrop runs these again.  At their reduced price they are quite attractive.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2015, 15:33:31 by Binge »

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #834 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 22:30:29 »
Just recently got into fountain pens and love it. Will probably buy more pens, heh. Still trying to decide on the best ink - right now I've got some samples to play with. Obtained a Sheaffer Balance and a Hero Spring Pastel and have been using them as my sketch pens  :thumb:

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #835 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 12:56:25 »
Just recently got into fountain pens and love it. Will probably buy more pens, heh. Still trying to decide on the best ink - right now I've got some samples to play with. Obtained a Sheaffer Balance and a Hero Spring Pastel and have been using them as my sketch pens  :thumb:
Show Image

<Mod edit>

Wouldn't it be nice if cylinders weren't so confusing?  It begs the unspeakable question if anyone has made this mistake with any pen.  Speaking of similarities.  I've almost put a pizza into my dish cabinet simply because it was shaped kind of like a plate.  The oven was preheated.  Don't know what in Zenu came over me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:50:26 by dorkvader »

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #836 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 13:02:49 »
Show Image

<Mod Edit>

Wouldn't it be nice if cylinders weren't so confusing.  It begs the unspeakable question if anyone has made this mistake with any pen.  Similarities aside.  I've almost put a pizza into my dish cabinet simply because it was shaped kind of like a plate.  The oven was preheated.  Don't know what in Zenu came over me.

I wouldn't doubt that it has happened.  Hell, last week I found my tortilla chips in the fridge, and that doesn't even have a shape-based logic to it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:52:56 by dorkvader »

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #837 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 18:55:29 »
Hey guys! I'm looking to get my first pen!

I like how fountain pens look, and mainly if I spend money on a pen I will always have a writing utensil and hopefully this will improve my writing

So I have a few...

Requirements!!
-Strong, like every day carry strong. This thing needs to be a friggin tank. Most likely a metal case
-Inexpensive, but not like cheap

I'm looking at either the Lamy Safari (dem colors do) or the Pilot Metropolitan (metal case). Any other recommendations?
Ayy Lmao

WTB/T: Dollys, Conspires, Ribbits, anything purple, coffee gear

WTS/T: Longboarding gear

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #838 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 19:44:41 »
If you want edc strong, I'd go with the Safari. If you ding or scratch up the Metro, it'll show in the paint. What exactly is your budget. "inexpensive but cheap" could be $5 to $150

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #839 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 19:50:33 »
like $25-30

Is the metro just painted and not metal?
Ayy Lmao

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #840 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 20:06:14 »
It's brass with some form of coating. I believe whatever that coating is (could be paint) can chip off. Don't get me wrong I love my Metro a lot but I'd go for a Safari. Those things are indestructible. Easily the two best starter pens right now.

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #841 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:07:03 »
red ferrari safari it is, what tip size would you recommend?
Ayy Lmao

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #842 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:10:05 »

Um lol. That's completely on your taste. I laugh because I like broads and stub nibs so I'd say a Broad or 1.1mm. But most people like extra fine, fine, or medium. Do you like thin or thick lines?

Edit: I have a fine Safari nib so if you want to get an EF or M and decide you want something different, let me know.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2015, 21:13:59 by CPTBadAss »

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #843 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 14:17:07 »

Um lol. That's completely on your taste. I laugh because I like broads and stub nibs so I'd say a Broad or 1.1mm. But most people like extra fine, fine, or medium. Do you like thin or thick lines?

Edit: I have a fine Safari nib so if you want to get an EF or M and decide you want something different, let me know.

Like CPT said, it's up to you. There's a really good resource called the Nib Nook at Goulet Pens which give you a very good overview of the different sizes though. http://www.gouletpens.com/nib-nook

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #844 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:56:38 »

Like CPT said, it's up to you. There's a really good resource called the Nib Nook at Goulet Pens which give you a very good overview of the different sizes though.

http://www.gouletpens.com/nib-nook

awesome, thanks!
Ayy Lmao

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #845 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 16:44:21 »

Birdy babies are just tiny dragons.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #846 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 20:01:57 »
My favorite notebooks that I use for everything (work, home, etc), fountain pen that I wish I used a bit more, and more workhorse pen.100732-0
RETIRED

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #847 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 01:57:34 »
I love the stargazer so much xowie. And mmm clairfontaine.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #848 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 18:55:32 »
Got my Twsbi mini from demik, it's great. Perfect size when posted, also.

Can someone recommend some quality paper/notebooks?

And the worst part about demik introducing me to fountain pens, is that I'm already looking at more fountain pens to buy in the future... :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #849 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 18:57:14 »
Got my Twsbi mini from demik, it's great. Perfect size when posted, also.

Can someone recommend some quality paper/notebooks?

And the worst part about demik introducing me to fountain pens, is that I'm already looking at more fountain pens to buy in the future... :eek:

That's a damn good pen to start with. Paper? I like SN2, Rhodia, Clairefontaine, and Tomoe River. There is some lower end office paper that I've used at work that is nice. I can dig out the names out if you want.