Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427459 times)

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1650 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 02:34:32 »

It's true!

Show Image

Jesus ****ing Christ that blue pen my soul just died a little.  :'(

Welp.

(Not Binge's, but.)
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1651 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 10:05:32 »

It's true!

Show Image

Welp.

Show Image

(Not Binge's, but.)

Ooo... looks so good.  Yours?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1652 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 10:40:57 »
The Visconti Opera Master Demo is one of my most-lusted desires.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1653 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 10:53:57 »

It's true!

Show Image

Welp.

Show Image

(Not Binge's, but.)

Ooo... looks so good.  Yours?

Yep. 1.3 stub. All your fault, you posted that picture way back when and I was never able to get that pen out of my mind. Gonna be inking it with Yama-dori, but I have to find time to take out that stupid cone thing because the nib doesn't actually fit in it...
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1654 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 16:30:41 »
Damn you got lucky with that pattern.
So saturated with those beautiful swirls.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1655 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:38:03 »
So, I've also gotten into fine writing implements from MassDrop, and am admittedly a neophyte.

What can someone tell me about the price of this particular one: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/alpha-pen?mode=guest_open

I asked there, but got a snarky response.  Not complaining about the price... just trying to understand it.  Sort of like you see a fine, if unknown, artist whose work is priced high... and you might ask about the artist, because you're not sure why it's priced high.  Someone subsequently gave a better answer, but I figured I'd throw it out here to see if anyone had anything to add.

Any thoughts?

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #1656 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 19:24:45 »

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1657 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 01:46:46 »
Damn you got lucky with that pattern.
So saturated with those beautiful swirls.

I know, right? I saw it on /r/pen_swap and it was just gorgeous and I had enough money and well...

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1658 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:40:13 »
What would the best entry level gold nib pen be? I was thinking about the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 in Soft Fine Medium, however I wanted to hear the input of geekhack before I make my purchase.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1659 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:57:01 »

Offline Larken

« Reply #1660 on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 01:02:30 »
What would the best entry level gold nib pen be? I was thinking about the Pilot Custom Heritage 91 in Soft Fine Medium, however I wanted to hear the input of geekhack before I make my purchase.

You're already thinking of it. To be fair, both the Platinum 3776 and the Sailor 1911S series are at similar price points and are equally good nib/body wise, but with slight differences, but what really wins it for the Pilot is the range of nibs (EF, F, FM, M, B, C, SF, SFM, SM) on the 74/91 and the option to use a con-70 (~1ml); in comparison I think the Platinum/Sailor convertors hold about half of that or slightly more than half.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline PQStarLord

« Reply #1661 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 10:29:28 »
Can anyone recommend a nice pen for someone who loves stationary but hasn't looked into anything expensive before?  It would be cool to get my girlfriend a decent pen, but I have no idea where to start!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1662 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 10:32:13 »
Can anyone recommend a nice pen for someone who loves stationary but hasn't looked into anything expensive before?  It would be cool to get my girlfriend a decent pen, but I have no idea where to start!

Pilot Metropolitan. Such a good pen for such a good price. It should be less than $20.

You're already thinking of it. To be fair, both the Platinum 3776 and the Sailor 1911S series are at similar price points and are equally good nib/body wise, but with slight differences, but what really wins it for the Pilot is the range of nibs (EF, F, FM, M, B, C, SF, SFM, SM) on the 74/91 and the option to use a con-70 (~1ml); in comparison I think the Platinum/Sailor convertors hold about half of that or slightly more than half.

I really like the Pilot gold nibs and the soft-medium 91 I have.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1663 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 10:33:19 »

Before investing in a nice pen..

Step one..

DO YOU WRITE much..   if the answer is NO,  I am addicted to the Computer hence KEYBOARD forum..

Then, realize that you are intent on embarking on a vanity quest..

GIVEN THAT INFORMATION, 

if you STILL want to buy a pen..

Lamy is the go to, no surprises... works... looks good... Germans

The most expensive part of the PEN experience, is the TIME it takes to master Penmanship..

The cost of the pen is mostly trivial..

HOWEVER,  should you NEVER manage to write --Pretty--,  then ANY AND ALL money spent on nice Pens will be WASTED..

Like those guys who have nice guitars but can't play or read music. .

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1664 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 12:44:05 »
I write a lot, but found that, after three years of spending hundreds on pens, I always defaulted to my $25 Esterbrook, Lamy, or even rollerball. They're fast and readily available to use.

Offline Jpecina

« Reply #1665 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 14:45:36 »
The metropolitan is definitely a nice pen at a great price. If you wanna spend a little more you could try the Namiki Falcon, I own one personally and it's been a great pen.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #1666 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 00:15:28 »
I raised my budget to 150, and I have no idea what to do. I've heard that at this price point, vintage pens are the way to go. I'm looking for a pen that has a unique look that could be used by a younger person.

I have no idea where to start in the world of vintage pens.

EDIT: after talking to FrostyToast on slack, I am leaning towards the Pilot Falcon.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 July 2016, 00:38:52 by Firebolt1914 »

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1667 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 00:39:35 »
I raised my budget to 150, and I have no idea what to do. I've heard that at this price point, vintage pens are the way to go. I'm looking for a pen that has a unique look that could be used by a younger person.

There are a lot of good modern pens at the $150 price  point.

If you are after a true flex pen, then you should go vintage. You could find a good waterman 52 1/2 flex nib for under $150.

At that price point, it is by no means only vintage stuff.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 July 2016, 00:41:26 by Air tree »

Offline caligo

« Reply #1668 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 07:39:35 »

EDIT: after talking to FrostyToast on slack, I am leaning towards the Pilot Falcon.
You can easily find a Lamy 2000 for 150$. Gold nib, piston filled and a truly iconic design. If I was looking to buy a pen at that price point, that would be my first choice.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1669 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 08:31:57 »
For $150 I'd pick up a pilot vanishing point. Still my edc and favorite fountain pen. Although a Lamy 2000 is a great choice too.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1670 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 09:34:20 »
For $150 I'd pick up a pilot vanishing point. Still my edc and favorite fountain pen. Although a Lamy 2000 is a great choice too.

VP as an EDC? Have you gotten any tattoos yet? :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1671 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:11:06 »

Didn't even realize this was an issue.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1672 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 11:41:56 »

Didn't even realize this was an issue.

Heh, those posts seem to be a staple of /r/fp, although I assume the likelihood of it happening is pretty strongly rooted in the user's predisposition for carelessness!

Offline iri

« Reply #1673 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 09:22:48 »
I write a lot, but found that, after three years of spending hundreds on pens, I always defaulted to my $25 Esterbrook, Lamy, or even rollerball. They're fast and readily available to use.
After years of spending a lot of money on pens, I now write with Uniball Jetstream. These pens are great.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1674 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 09:28:26 »
After years of spending a lot of money on pens, I now write with Uniball Jetstream. These pens are great.

Ha ha, those are great pens. I use a Zebra F-301 at work.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1675 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 16:38:53 »
My haul from the San Francisco Pen Show this weekend:

Some pen flush, bottle of Robert Oster Bondi Blue ink, F-C Model 65 w/18k Masuyama broad italic, the dinkiest little Peter Pan eyedropper with a gold-filled overlay, and a Nakaya Decapod. My handwriting is awful when I'm rushed/tired rofl.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1676 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 17:56:22 »

Show Image

Some pen flush, bottle of Robert Oster Bondi Blue ink, F-C Model 65 w/18k Masuyama broad italic, the dinkiest little Peter Pan eyedropper with a gold-filled overlay, and a Nakaya Decapod. My handwriting is awful when I'm rushed/tired rofl.

That eyedropper looks amazing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1677 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 21:47:09 »
Tp4 were practicing writing curse words..

mechanical pencil, and sharpie.

Overall, I think mechanical pencil offers the best control for smaller text. but, obviously, it's hard to vary the line-weight using a pencil.. Even soft pencils have limits.

147407-0

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #1678 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 07:12:15 »
I know it's not related to fountain pens, but I think I finally found the pen to dethrone my now-previous favorite, the G2 .07

Note: Not my picture

Writes super smooth, the build quality is quite nice, it's comfortable in the hand, and best of all dries MUCH faster than the G2. Am converted for sure.

Offline iri

« Reply #1679 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 07:40:51 »
I know it's not related to fountain pens, but I think I finally found the pen to dethrone my now-previous favorite, the G2 .07

Show Image

Writes super smooth, the build quality is quite nice, it's comfortable in the hand, and best of all dries MUCH faster than the G2. Am converted for sure.
Did you try Uniball Jetstream?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1680 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:03:41 »

Show Image

Uni Signo is where it's at. It's my favorite gel pen and the only rollerball pen I use that's thicker than 0.5. Use them daily for class notes.

Offline iri

« Reply #1681 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:20:25 »

Show Image

Uni Signo is where it's at. It's my favorite gel pen and the only rollerball pen I use that's thicker than 0.5. Use them daily for class notes.
But does it dry blazingly fast?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1682 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:37:05 »

Show Image

Never had it smudge, if that means anything.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1683 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 12:45:07 »

Show Image

Never had it smudge, if that means anything.

drying speed affects soak through, and blotches more than smudging

Smudging is not a huge problem on any pen, unless you're left handed

All thick gummy inks will smudge though, regardless of how fast drying they are, because when they're laid down,  they come out thick and rise above the paper like two little mountains to the two side of the roller.

The liquid-y type ink wouldn't smudge,  but they will blotch and shadow to the other side of the paper.

The BEST ink..   COMPUTER..   

Idk why you're all still so last century. .

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #1684 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 15:17:14 »

My grail pen

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1685 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:10:21 »
Show Image

My grail pen

That's awesome!  I just got these @ liquidation,

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline PollandAkuma

Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1686 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:22:10 »
Show Image

My grail pen

Show Image

WHAT.

Of course, you could tell that I did not get that £3000 pen...

How much was that Omas? What nib?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1687 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 15:47:29 »
Show Image

My grail pen

Show Image

:eek:

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1688 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 16:38:18 »
Show Image

My grail pen

Show Image

WHAT.

$80 USD Medium Oblique (for right handed)

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #1689 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:31:12 »
Show Image

My grail pen

Show Image

WHAT.

$80 USD Medium Oblique (for right handed)

>$80

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1690 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:34:40 »
i should buy a nice pen

that's me actually trying to write well, by the way

i can take a picture of my notebook if you want
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 October 2016, 17:37:22 by TacticalStache »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline iri

« Reply #1691 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 18:01:14 »
i have no idea what i am talking about

-Ray Bradbury

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1692 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 22:49:51 »
i should buy a nice pen

Show Image

Stop writing in all caps and use your elbow more than your wrist. Your wrist should be straight.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1693 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 22:24:59 »
^^ well even if you wanted to work with all caps... get some lined paper and practice uniform sizing, kerning, shape. Just like we used to do in 1st grade only now you actually give a sh*t lol
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1694 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 22:58:39 »
i should buy a nice pen

Show Image

The NSA thanks you for submitting your wonderful writing sample

Correlation analysis indicate:

Violence: 75%
Infidelity: 87%
Rape: 30%
Murder: 42%
Serial Murderer: 12%
Intelligence Quotient: 104
Keyboard Collector: 100%  <--  Let's go pick um up boys, this guy is up to no good..

//Probable Cause

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1695 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 23:16:09 »
close, my IQ is 135

rest of that is probably spot on tho, specially that last bit
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1696 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 23:18:06 »
This is not a thread for crapping! Begone ne-'er-do-wells!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1697 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 23:20:46 »
close, my IQ is 135

rest of that is probably spot on tho, specially that last bit

hahaha.. Only a 104 IQ-er would believe an IQ test and had taken one in the first place..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1698 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 23:22:18 »
This is not a thread for crapping! Begone ne-'er-do-wells!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If we don't post some funny responses,   No one would post their writing samples..

THEN how is the NSA gonna catch them bad guyz.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #1699 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 12:12:57 »

Show Image

wow.