Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427450 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1750 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 10:16:13 »
Noodler's is the Razer of fountain pens. /troll

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahaha....

for pens... ur probably right.. although they're not nearly as popular as razer...

Offline iri

« Reply #1751 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 11:52:16 »
But Noodler's pens smell so good. The smell is the only thing I miss from them.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1753 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 15:21:06 »
How come people no post more hand writing.. ??

right there in the title, Handwriting..   

Also, heard somewhere, Geekhack is full of Sifos..  How come Tp4 is only one writing in Sifo..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1754 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 15:21:50 »
Worst color pencil on the Market !!

(Attachment Link)

Does that say "nee shu dabien"? :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1756 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 15:56:47 »
--moved to new thread

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1757 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 19:35:44 »
Noodler's is the Razer of fountain pens. /troll

Couldn't disagree more............Nathan made his pens to be disassembled for easy cleaning and most important to give the buyer the option of swapping out to a better nib. They come with an above average ebonite feed......in various mechanisms for filling , whch some can be easily converted to an ED. Some of my favorite pens are Noodlers pens I have R/R the nib to 14k and wet noodle flex nibs.

Little investment and big yield.......... :thumb:

This thread appears to be dying..........sad :(
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1758 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 00:28:21 »
I just picked up a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with FA nib a few weeks ago. I cant wait to send it off to Mike Masuyama to have the flow increased. The pen isnt designed for flex but it does so so well that most people have the flow increased so it can keep up while flexing and this pen is a dream to write with compared to my steel nib pens.

Offline FLOCKA

• New name: ghostdeini
« Reply #1759 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 18:55:51 »
I finally dipped my toe into the world of fountain pens this week with the humble Pilot Metropolitan. I immediately fell in love and now I'm searching for a nicer one to see what improvements I can get with a larger budget.

I like the idea of a soft, flexible nib and am eyeing the Pilot Falcon. To be honest, I strongly prefer Japanese-made pens, but I'm wondering if that's an ideal/natural 2nd choice, or if I should look elsewhere...?

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #1760 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 04:42:32 »
I finally dipped my toe into the world of fountain pens this week with the humble Pilot Metropolitan. I immediately fell in love and now I'm searching for a nicer one to see what improvements I can get with a larger budget.

I like the idea of a soft, flexible nib and am eyeing the Pilot Falcon. To be honest, I strongly prefer Japanese-made pens, but I'm wondering if that's an ideal/natural 2nd choice, or if I should look elsewhere...?
If you really want nice soft smooth flex you should look at vintage pens. They are the best <3

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1761 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 20:42:49 »

If you really want nice soft smooth flex you should look at vintage pens. They are the best <3

PollandAkuma is right you cant beat a hand forged gold nib for flex. That said I was looking at the Falcon before I decided on the Custom Heritage 912. The 912 FA(falcon) nib is similar to the nib on the Falcon but it is different. You get the same amount of flex but unless you get the "Metal Falcon) you are stuck using a small con50 or a rubber bladder con20 like in the metropolitan. The 912 can take a nice con70.  Neither the Falcon nor the 912's  feed is capable of keeping up with flex and will need to be adjusted by a nibmeister. I like the 912 far better than the steel flex nibs but you have to be careful as it is soft and can spring easy. I'm sending mine off to Mike to have the flow increased so it keeps up with flexing.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1762 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 21:45:58 »

PollandAkuma is right you cant beat a hand forged gold nib for flex. That said I was looking at the Falcon before I decided on the Custom Heritage 912. The 912 FA(falcon) nib is similar to the nib on the Falcon but it is different. You get the same amount of flex but unless you get the "Metal Falcon) you are stuck using a small con50 or a rubber bladder con20 like in the metropolitan. The 912 can take a nice con70.  Neither the Falcon nor the 912's  feed is capable of keeping up with flex and will need to be adjusted by a nibmeister. I like the 912 far better than the steel flex nibs but you have to be careful as it is soft and can spring easy. I'm sending mine off to Mike to have the flow increased so it keeps up with flexing.

Vintage is definitely the way to go

I highly recommenend gregminuskin.com for vintage or any flex. You can grab a restored, vintage Skyline for example with his hairline needle point that does well in Copperplate, Spencerian, etc. for $160.00-$180.00. He does a lot of Waterman's, etc. As well. Have bought numerous pens, nibs, etc. and he does great work for a fair price.

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1763 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 00:00:31 »

I highly recommenend gregminuskin.com for vintage or any flex. You can grab a restored, vintage Skyline for example with his hairline needle point that does well in Copperplate, Spencerian, etc. for $160.00-$180.00. He does a lot of Waterman's, etc. As well. Have bought numerous pens, nibs, etc. and he does great work for a fair price.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out there. I'm going to get a noodle but I just don't know what I want. I hope to make it to the Chicago pen show in May and maybe get to hold a few to see what I like. I know most are going to write amazing if restored proper and well tuned so it's more how it feels in my hand. Waterman 52 i very popular and I'd love to get to hold one or even try one out. It has to look good to me too.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1765 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:31:03 »

I'm going to have to keep an eye out there. I'm going to get a noodle but I just don't know what I want. I hope to make it to the Chicago pen show in May and maybe get to hold a few to see what I like. I know most are going to write amazing if restored proper and well tuned so it's more how it feels in my hand. Waterman 52 i very popular and I'd love to get to hold one or even try one out. It has to look good to me too.

Not to disappoint, but you will pay major bux if you find a true"noodle," they rarely exist even though some sellers say they are. What you will find is they are more flex to full flex, which is not a noodle. Full flex just takes a little more pressure, but will do the trick. My guess is at a Show you will not find any "full flex" sub $200.00.......... :-\
More

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1766 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:56:54 »
Yea, I'm prepared for the price. From what I have seen a Waterman 52 in very good condition but still needing some restore goes for 200-300 then your looking at another 200 in part/service for the restore. I only use the W52 as an example because I've been able to research it the best because of it's popularity. I don't yet know which pen I will be looking for and I expect that will have a massive impact on the price range I will be looking at.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1767 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 20:58:26 »

You've just found yourself another money sink :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1768 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 22:33:07 »

Money sink? Na these pens are not expensive.

http://elephant-coral.com/product/dandelion-dragonfly-pen/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1769 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 20:55:16 »

Money sink? Na these pens are not expensive.

http://elephant-coral.com/product/dandelion-dragonfly-pen/

:eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #1770 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 12:01:04 »
Made in Fedoskino in Russia
:eek:
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #1771 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 12:04:08 »
Does anybody know of a fountain pen that just writes? Without scratching, skipping, late starting or being too dry?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1773 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 13:07:50 »
Does anybody know of a fountain pen that just writes? Without scratching, skipping, late starting or being too dry?

All of my Japanese pens, German Pelikans, TWSBI's write when they are uncapped. I keep Noodlers Polar or Eel Ink in them, which maybe it is because it is a lubricating ink never seem hard to start?

The Pilots, Platinums, Sailors, Pelikans with gold nibs are all pretty smooth out the box. The TWSBI's depending on which nib you get sometimes need a pass or 2 over some 12,000 paper as well as the steel Pelikan nibs, but they never hesitate, skip or are hard to start?

Inexpensive steel nib Lamy's and Pilot's are a safe bet............ :thumb: Sometimes Noodler Pens can be a little testy, but since they have ebonite feeds if you seat or set them to the nib it usually will go away
More

Offline Tally810

« Reply #1774 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 14:32:31 »
My handwriting is terrible but sometimes with a good pen I can actually write pretty decently.  What's a good entry level fountain pen?  Thanks

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline iri

« Reply #1775 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:17:58 »

All of my Japanese pens, German Pelikans, TWSBI's write when they are uncapped. I keep Noodlers Polar or Eel Ink in them, which maybe it is because it is a lubricating ink never seem hard to start?
Probably that's the reason. I have two Platinum Plaisirs right now and they both have issues. One is filled with Carbon, another one with Platinum's brown ink. I've had similar problems with Pilot's. Never had any TWSBI's or Pelikan's... Are there any non-German ones?

The Pilots, Platinums, Sailors, Pelikans with gold nibs are all pretty smooth out the box.
I've used two of these with gold nibs: a Pilot Capless which was drying out no matter what and a Platinum PTL-5000 which has this Platinum's 'drag' on paper. Gonna sell it because of that. Can't remember if it had problems with ink feed.

Inexpensive steel nib Lamy's and Pilot's are a safe bet............
I've had a Safari filled with blue Quink which was drying out constantly. I threw it away eventually :(

-Ray Bradbury

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1776 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:32:56 »
My handwriting is terrible but sometimes with a good pen I can actually write pretty decently.  What's a good entry level fountain pen?  Thanks

I suggest getting a TWSBI Eco from Pendleton Brown with one of his BLS nibs.
More

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1777 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:40:04 »

Probably that's the reason. I have two Platinum Plaisirs right now and they both have issues. One is filled with Carbon, another one with Platinum's brown ink. I've had similar problems with Pilot's. Never had any TWSBI's or Pelikan's... Are there any non-German ones?

The Pilots, Platinums, Sailors, Pelikans with gold nibs are all pretty smooth out the box.
I've used two of these with gold nibs: a Pilot Capless which was drying out no matter what and a Platinum PTL-5000 which has this Platinum's 'drag' on paper. Gonna sell it because of that. Can't remember if it had problems with ink feed.

I've had a Safari filled with blue Quink which was drying out constantly. I threw it away eventually :(

Why don't you buy a bottle of Noodlers Polar Black or Blue, it comes with a free pen (Eye Dropper) and try out the pen and putting some ink in your other pens and see what happens? I took the nib that came with the "free pen" out and inserted a 14k :p The pen is a little thin, but holds a ton of ink and I cannot seem to put it down- writes a little on the wet side, no leaks, starts up with no problem.

If you buy a Noodlers Konrad ($18.00) or an Ahab you can swap the nib out with one of Goulet's or Anderson Pens #6 nib.........one of the best buys out there. Very smooth and it's a good nib!
More

Offline iri

« Reply #1778 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 16:05:04 »

Why don't you buy a bottle of Noodlers Polar Black or Blue, it comes with a free pen (Eye Dropper) and try out the pen and putting some ink in your other pens and see what happens? I took the nib that came with the "free pen" out and inserted a 14k :p The pen is a little thin, but holds a ton of ink and I cannot seem to put it down- writes a little on the wet side, no leaks, starts up with no problem.

If you buy a Noodlers Konrad ($18.00) or an Ahab you can swap the nib out with one of Goulet's or Anderson Pens #6 nib.........one of the best buys out there. Very smooth and it's a good nib!
I'll buy a Polar or Eel sampler and put the ink somewhere :P I don't like Noodler's pens because I don't like screw-on caps.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1779 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 21:37:26 »
I'll buy a Polar or Eel sampler and put the ink somewhere :P I don't like Noodler's pens because I don't like screw-on caps.

If you don't like screw-on caps, your choices might be somewhat limited. In my experience, the best-performing pens out of the box have been my gold-nibbed Pilots but they all have screw-on caps. I believe there is a vintage-style Pilot with a slip-cap but I haven't had an opportunity to try that one.

Have you tried the Lamy Studio or Lamy 2000?
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Tally810

« Reply #1780 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 21:49:08 »

I suggest getting a TWSBI Eco from Pendleton Brown with one of his BLS nibs.
I'll check it out.  Thanks

Offline iri

« Reply #1782 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 04:21:50 »

If you don't like screw-on caps, your choices might be somewhat limited. In my experience, the best-performing pens out of the box have been my gold-nibbed Pilots but they all have screw-on caps. I believe there is a vintage-style Pilot with a slip-cap but I haven't had an opportunity to try that one.

Somewhat limited to 57489302 pens instead of 63890214? I've had a gold-nibbed Pilot, yeah, a VP; it had issues. Lamy Studio has the same nib and feeder as the Safari with which I had issues. As for 2000, I don't want to buy another expensive pen to see if it fails me or not. I'd rather buy its multicolour version, fill it with Uni's hybrid ink refills and know it will be absolutely reliable.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 March 2017, 04:24:20 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1783 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 13:34:34 »

In my experience only about 20% of fountain pens are snap cap. That should still leave you plenty to choose from.

You can get an idea of what is available by going to GPC as they have an option to filter pens by snap cap, here is a link to the filtered list:

https://www.gouletpens.com/fountain-pens/c/12/?sortBy=productName+asc&facetValueFilter=Tenant~Cap_Type%3Asnap_cap

That's nowhere near all inclusive but it's a good place to get started as you can see what brands offer the option.

I like Polar Blue, but it's horrible on everyday paper so keep that in mind, but I also use wet and not fine tip pens so your experience could be different depending on you pen of choice.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1784 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 17:20:17 »

Somewhat limited to 57489302 pens instead of 63890214? I've had a gold-nibbed Pilot, yeah, a VP; it had issues. Lamy Studio has the same nib and feeder as the Safari with which I had issues. As for 2000, I don't want to buy another expensive pen to see if it fails me or not. I'd rather buy its multicolour version, fill it with Uni's hybrid ink refills and know it will be absolutely reliable.

The overwhelming majority of fountain pens have screw-on caps. By gold-nibbed Pilots, I was not referring to the VP as you already said you had problems with that one. The VP is somewhat unique as far as fountain pens go. However, it doesn't matter anyways as most Pilots have screw-on caps. Maybe try the Pilot E95S?

There is a version of the Lamy Studio with a 14k nib. That's the one I was referring to. I've found that, generally, gold-nibbed pens tend to write a little wetter than steel. A well-tuned steel nib can be just as good though. If you are on a budget, perhaps you could send one of your current pens for a nib/feed tuning.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline WhiteHelix

• KurantRubys Techblog
« Reply #1785 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 17:38:03 »
I own a few fountain pens atm, but regarding im working out in the field at customers most time when I write something in work and mostly mail in the office, I use ball pens at work. The best one I got until now is a Schneider Slider Rave, I love the "Viscoglide" thing they use on that one. Makes writing really nice and smooth.

Although I have at home a Pilot Metropolitan (love that one, really awesome especially for the price), a Lamy Vista and a Lamy Safari Aluminium with Converter. For Ink I use the Pelikan 4001 in black, I really like the color more than the classic blue.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #1786 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 20:38:37 »
Didn't realize GH had an FP thread...

Currently have a Pilot VP EF inked with Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, a TWSBI 580 Diamond Rose Gold EF inked with Iroshizuku Ajisai, a Visconti Rembrandt F inked with Pelikan Edelstein Jade, and a LAMY Safari EF inked with Pelikan Edelstein Jade.

I also have a couple generic fountain pens that I use for random stuff with some generic black cartridges. I'm hoping to pick up a Sailor Pro Gear with the two-tone nib soon though. That or a LAMY 2k... I haven't decided which yet.

Offline sems

« Reply #1787 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 03:41:28 »
Most of my pens are left back in Istanbul and here I am building a new stable in Singapore. Just got Pilot Metropolitan with M nib and Iroshizuku Yamabudo with Sailor Yamaguri. Waiting to recieve Lamy Vista with B nib and various Preppies with EF, F and M nibs. Can buy couple more Iroshizukus or Sailors because the prices for these inks are really low here. 15$ for Iroshizuku, hell yeah!

Offline iri

« Reply #1788 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 05:49:02 »
The overwhelming majority of fountain pens have screw-on caps. By gold-nibbed Pilots, I was not referring to the VP as you already said you had problems with that one. The VP is somewhat unique as far as fountain pens go. However, it doesn't matter anyways as most Pilots have screw-on caps. Maybe try the Pilot E95S?

There is a version of the Lamy Studio with a 14k nib. That's the one I was referring to. I've found that, generally, gold-nibbed pens tend to write a little wetter than steel. A well-tuned steel nib can be just as good though. If you are on a budget, perhaps you could send one of your current pens for a nib/feed tuning.
Thanks for your advice, but I would ideally prefer a pen that writes well out of the box and doesn't cost over 100 GBP.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #1789 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 05:53:32 »
I like Polar Blue, but it's horrible on everyday paper so keep that in mind, but I also use wet and not fine tip pens so your experience could be different depending on you pen of choice.
I usually use Rhodia or Clairefontaine. And wet writers, yes. My Platinum's with medium nibs lay pretty generous lines of ink.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #1790 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:18:51 »
I usually use Rhodia or Clairefontaine. And wet writers, yes. My Platinum's with medium nibs lay pretty generous lines of ink.

You could try the Pilot Prera or even the Metropolitan if you're just looking for a daily writer that doesn't need to be too fancy.
I own 4-5 LAMY steel nib pens (Al-Star, Safari, Vista, etc.) in F, EF, and M and I've never had any issues with pens running dry. It may be possible that you're simply using a ink with a more resistant flow?

Offline iri

« Reply #1791 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:33:09 »
My Safari was filled with blue Quink  :( I ordered a Pilot Kakuno after reading this thread.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #1792 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 16:04:37 »
My Safari was filled with blue Quink  :( I ordered a Pilot Kakuno after reading this thread.

Strange, could have been a lemon? The Kakuno seems like a decent enough choice! Pilot is my favorite brand. Hopefully it will work out for you.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #1793 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 16:11:10 »
Having some issues with my pilot metropolitan now... When I uncap it and begin to write, there is usually some ink on the finger-gripping area, which leads to stained fingers. I've wiped it down a couple times with a tissue, and I've also tried grasping the nib assembly and tightening it clockwise. Is this just to be expected? I don't do anything crazy with the pen to jostle it around, it mainly stays upright in my messenger bag during the day.

Offline iri

« Reply #1794 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 07:09:32 »
Strange, could have been a lemon?
Lemons, those bastards. Getting to my desk in the night and drying the ink in my pen with a hair dryer!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #1796 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:35:27 »
Having some issues with my pilot metropolitan now... When I uncap it and begin to write, there is usually some ink on the finger-gripping area, which leads to stained fingers. I've wiped it down a couple times with a tissue, and I've also tried grasping the nib assembly and tightening it clockwise. Is this just to be expected? I don't do anything crazy with the pen to jostle it around, it mainly stays upright in my messenger bag during the day.

It is not uncommon but usually only when you travel with it a lot. It's possible it's getting bumped around more than you think. I usually keep a black microfiber cloth to wipe the section [what you called the 'finger gripping area'] down.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1797 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:39:04 »

It is not uncommon but usually only when you travel with it a lot. It's possible it's getting bumped around more than you think. I usually keep a black microfiber cloth to wipe the section [what you called the 'finger gripping area'] down.

Hahahaha.. ghostdeini, u are such a hipster, fountain pen in a messenger bag.. hahahahaha.

It also depends on the ink you put in your pens..

dye based ones write more smoothly, better against clogs, flows smoother,    but it's also more runny..  and can shake out..

Fountain pens will always tear up a little here and there if it's on the go..

And messenger bags are not very stable vs a back pack,  they are however much more stylish and gets you more ladies i suppose.. hahahahaha

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #1798 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 16:49:37 »

Hahahaha.. ghostdeini, u are such a hipster, fountain pen in a messenger bag.. hahahahaha.

Here's my oh-so-chic briefcase/messenger bag, it's great for carrying stationary and I got it for a steal in a Tokyo recycle shop. I work in a school, so I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a backpack! Every little bit helps when you need to look older than the students  :))

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1799 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:59:05 »
sent in my boring Omas D-Day for some work to Pendleton Brown..........very nice :thumb:
More