Author Topic: What exactly can you do with a microcontroller(i.e. teensy, pro micro)  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
I was wondering just out of curiosity whether a teensy or pro micro was something specifically for keyboards or something that could be used  for other electrical input devices?
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
You can use it to make anything really as long as you are able to write a script for it, its commonly used in those stem/tinkering classes where the course would be to connect pins from a micro to a breadboard or smth and write scripts to make it do cool stuff like turn on a light, run a motor, etc.

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
So basically its all in the firmware. If you can solder it together, and code the firmware, you can pretty much make anything that is within reason.
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

So basically its all in the firmware. If you can solder it together, and code the firmware, you can pretty much make anything that is within reason.
Pretty much, the sky is the limit(If the sky is a tiny MCU)

Offline Me

Pretty much, the sky is the limit(If the sky is a tiny MCU)

Haha. Thanks for the quick tidbit!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
I was wondering just out of curiosity whether a teensy or pro micro was something specifically for keyboards or something that could be used  for other electrical input devices?

They're no different then any other Arduino (Pro Micro IS an Arduino) or Raspberry Pi, just smaller with less computing power.

People use them to make sensors, motor controls, joysticks, throttle quadrants, steering wheels, pedal setups, volume knobs...
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Me

Ok, that makes plenty of sense. We worked with arduinos this year in Technology class(I am in 8th grade), albeit through a virtual circut building program due to..... things*.

*THERE'S A FREAKING PANDEMIC!"

Offline yui

the simplest way to look at it is that it is a very slow and dumb computer, with none of those fancy video capabilities etc. but much more resilient I/O and bigger voltage ranges. like a computer you can program it to do anything, but although you could run it, crysis would have a rather low frame-rate, in the few frames per day :) (i do not think anyone would be stupid enough to code cryengine in AVR C though, so it would be quite the task :))

TL;DR: microcontroler = very slow and simple PC
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Me

Does it have all the different parts(cpu, ram, gpu, memory, etc.) built into it then?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

Does it have all the different parts(cpu, ram, gpu, memory, etc.) built into it then?
Pretty much, the mcu is the cpu and ram kinda, then it has all the capacitors and other mcu stuff with it too which makes it so good for keebs cause the only thing you have to do now is route some simple switches and resistors.

Offline Me

Ok. That's really cool actually, I might try and think of a cool project with one of them after I am done handwiring my keyboard. Done with all the diodes but I have to go and pick up some small wire cutters.

Offline Findecanor

To be specific, the "microcontroller" ("µC" for short) is the chip on a microcontroller board. And the central part of it is the MPU - "microcontroller processing unit" which is like its CPU.

There are many different varieties of µCs, and they can be found in lots of things that need some control logic. The number of applications is practically endless.
The microcontroller was invented right before the microprocessor (CPU), and in the early days there weren't that much difference between them. Some older 8-bit CPUs have continued to be produced and used as microcontrollers in various devices long after they were considered obsolete for use as CPUs in computers.

Nowadays, a typical microcontroller is a system-on-chip ("SoC") with integrated RAM, Flash and I/O (input/output) capabilities. The program is written into the Flash, and often supposed to be run from the Flash directly -- not from the RAM.
However, a microcontroller can also be part of a larger chip: e.g. every PC has dozens of them for various purposes including one dedicated to controlling the PS/2 port.

The Teensy 2.0 board was chosen for keyboards because the board was small (at a time when most microcontroller boards were much larger) and the µC: (ATmega32u4 in the AVR family) contains USB hardware for which the maker provided a library that firmware could use. It can also be programmed over USB, whereas many other microcontrollers need to be programmed over dedicated serial interface pins.
The Pro Micro has the same microcontroller as the Teensy 2.0, but fewer pins available: it got popular because you can get them very cheap ($5 for a clone from China instead of $16 for the Teensy).
The Teensy 2.0 is also going to be discontinued next year.

There are also several microcontroller families that are based on a ARM Cortex-M MPU which is 32-bit, and often runs at much faster clock than AVR. But each family needs new firmware, because they are not compatible with one-another. Most mass-produced keyboards use some ARM-based microcontroller or other.

However, the ARM-based ones typically support only 3.3V signals, while the AVR is capable of 5V signals -- which older computers and protocols used.
Therefore, AVR is still the best choice for adaptors from PS/2 and other vintage protocols. NeoPixels, often used for side-glow, also use 5V.