Author Topic: Any Japanese mobile phone experts?  (Read 8038 times)

Offline dante

Any Japanese mobile phone experts?
« on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 21:37:35 »
I made a couple threads a while back expressing my never ending love for the old bar/candybar/flip phones.  I considered repurchasing a Nokia 3310/3390 but came to my senses:

1) These are incompatible with the modern network.
2) Even if I could use them - while the battery usage was good back in the day - it pales in comparison to some of their great grand children.

Well today I discovered a few vendors selling unlocked Nokia 301's on Amazon/Ebay.  OOOoohhh!  I read as much as I could about this phone - which will likely end up as being Nokia's last Non "Smart" phone due to Microsoft wanting everything going to OS8.  But of course that wasn't enough (!) I took a look at what is selling in Japan where people aren't sticking their nose up at flip phones and the sexuality went to 11...

I gazed at what appears to be wonderful phones from NEC, Fujutsu, Sharp, and Panasonic.  All high grade models light years ahead of anything I've seen.  Not just features but also quality.  It's like instead of making a "Smart" phone with a giant screen they gutted that and took all those build funds and made the best flip phone they could.  Most companies treat bar/flip phones as an afterthought while the Japanese take them to the next level.  I knew Japanese phones were advanced and of high quality but I never knew they stuck with bar/flips.

Anyone else ever use any of the modern Japanese flip phones?  The Vendor is Kyoex.

Thank you for putting up with me - this style of phone is something I'm very passionate about.  :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 22:40:10 by dante »

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
Re: Need mobile phone geeks input from Asia/Europe...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 22:37:52 »
I was you, but in the end I became who I am now.

email was just too cumbersome on my motorola flip phone :( .

I do understand your quest though, best of luck with your search. One thing, in Japan I think the phones are on CDMA (vs. GSM for the rest of the world?) so it might not work with your network. Or it might and I'm just talking out of my a. (Something to look out for)

Also in Japan they describe their own phones as Galapagos phones (evolved separately from rest of world). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal%C3%A1pagos_syndrome

Cheers and best of luck.
⌨ Filco MJ2 MX Blues / M0116 Orange Alps / Homemade 60% MX Reds / M0110

Cherry MX art prints 20/50 still available!

Offline dante

Re: Any Japanese mobile phone experts?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 22:44:14 »
email was just too cumbersome on my motorola flip phone :( .

I do understand your quest though, best of luck with your search. One thing, in Japan I think the phones are on CDMA (vs. GSM for the rest of the world?) so it might not work with your network. Or it might and I'm just talking out of my a. (Something to look out for)

I've used flip phones for about 6 years and bar phones for 5 and never had an issue.  I don't do a ton of texting but when I do it's not T-9 that holds me back but when I try to do it on touch screens... yuck.

Most of the Japanese flip phones do offer GSM frequencies in my country and are switched to English prior to shipping.

I'm going to skip the Nokia 301 in my original post - I'm too smitten by these Japanese phones to go back to decreasing quality in this format.  The current flip/bar phones are pretty crap - I need to find someone who can tell me what the modern Japanese version of the Nokia 3310 would be; it can still have some bells and whistles but I mostly want the money going towards a quality product.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 22:46:07 by dante »

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 22:45:49 »
Hm how about a vertu justkidding.gif
⌨ Filco MJ2 MX Blues / M0116 Orange Alps / Homemade 60% MX Reds / M0110

Cherry MX art prints 20/50 still available!

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:39:25 »
After a few days researching this one is the sexiest (IMHO) of all the Japanese flip phones I've come across...

I'm still researching all the in's and out's of importing it looks like I may have to switch carriers.  So far AT&T has the most compatible frequencies.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:41:56 by dante »

Offline islisis

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:34:07 »
one thing you may want to inquire about is how well latin character input is supported. some models may not have any t9 prediction and spaces might have to be input using the dpad.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:43:24 »
iida is the company who designed the X-Ray above. I've always wanted to try their G11 model.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:50:39 »
iida is the company who designed the X-Ray above. I've always wanted to try their G11 model.

I'm going to send them an email and see if someone will show some mercy to outsiders. :)  I haven't found any sim-hack instructions yet.

one thing you may want to inquire about is how well latin character input is supported. some models may not have any t9 prediction and spaces might have to be input using the dpad.

Good to note! Thanks!

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:26:35 »

I'm going to send them an email and see if someone will show some mercy to outsiders. :)  I haven't found any sim-hack instructions yet.

I hope they have some good news for you on usage outside of Japan. Be sure to report back - I'd be interested to know!

au by KDDI (the carrier) use CDMA2000, so these phones have a slim chance of working on some networks around stateside very small chance of working in your country (whichever that may be).
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:37:36 by evolveS »
-a petty thief

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:01:24 »

Are there any other design firms in Japan like iida?  I looked at the rest of their portfolio and the X-Ray (to me) still dominates.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:06:03 »
Whoa, I'm very interested in this thread. I was a big fan of the docomo/softbank phones before I got my iPhone. Actually wouldn't mind rocking one now, and just having my iPhone as an iPod on wifi.

Gundam phone:

Evangelion phone:
http://en.gigazine.net/news/20090519_docomo_eva_nerv/
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:09:06 by Lastpilot »

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:52:20 »

Are there any other design firms in Japan like iida?  I looked at the rest of their portfolio and the X-Ray (to me) still dominates.

As far as I know, iida is on the higher-end of luxury non-smart phones in Japan. You're probably better off finding a Japanese carrier with the right GSM bands and then looking through all their devices (Sony Ericsson, Kyocera, etc.) if you actually plan on using one as your dd.

The X-Ray was a cool collaboration project, but I think iida has always been more of a firm that designed candybar/slider phones. Wish I could be of more help!
-a petty thief

Offline dante

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 14:52:25 »
I hope they have some good news for you on usage outside of Japan. Be sure to report back - I'd be interested to know!

au by KDDI (the carrier) use CDMA2000, so these phones have a slim chance of working on some networks around stateside very small chance of working in your country (whichever that may be).

I doubt whatever reply I get (if I get one) will be good.  This is not a cheap product - but I have some demon on my shoulder telling me to buy it anyway just to have it on display like a fine piece of art - or a very fancy camera.  I've researched over 40+ Japanese phones and I always come back to this as the one that would be a privilege and honor to own.

If I stuck with Non-Japanese - I don't know WHAT I would buy.  Year after year flips are getting crappier in quality and are often referred to as phones for the poor and/or "emerging markets."  I wish some manufacturer would have the balls to come out with a super high quality model even if it is a limited edition.

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 21:39:15 »

Haven't heard back.  But on this Wiki there are several US carriers using CMDA2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 23:31:15 »
As crazy as it may sound... go to tracfone. Not only are they the kings of burners, you can now byoh on their service and they do support cdma2000. They are also one of the cheaper and most hassle free services we have in the US.
I also really like that x-ray... if only there was a candybar version of that. I don't even give a **** about having a screen or camera. But that backside led array for showing the time/date and incoming name/number would be good enough. Swap the screen and camera for a dumb oldschool mp3 player with a line out and micro sd slot and it would be my dream phone.
Not sure if you will find the cool looking things you want, but looking into multiband/multisim world phones might make compatibility a lot easier. These are usually on the higher end of the spectrum so poor build quality shouldn't be a huge issue.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 23:33:58 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 02:07:37 »
I know this thread has diverged from the original post, but I use a Nokia 301 day to day and I absolutely love it. 
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 10:12:16 »

Haven't heard back.  But on this Wiki there are several US carriers using CMDA2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks

Yeah I wasn't sure which country you were actually in, but stateside you could maybe use it on Sprint or some other BYOP CDMA carrier.

If you can find a source for buying these iida phones and/or a proxy to send them to you, PM me!

I know this thread has diverged from the original post, but I use a Nokia 301 day to day and I absolutely love it. 

I'd really like to test drive one of those or the 515. I did a lot of research on them when I was looking for a backup phone but couldn't justify the cost when I was in college.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 10:34:39 by evolveS »
-a petty thief

Offline dante

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:01:27 »
I'd really like to test drive one of those or the 515. I did a lot of research on them when I was looking for a backup phone but couldn't justify the cost when I was in college.

Nokia's model # scheme drives me insane!  The 515 appears to be the closest the west will get to a Japanese phone.  Includes Gorilla Glass 2, 5 megapixel camera, 38 days standby...

From what I understand MS is putting an end to Nokia having bar's/flip's - everything OS8/Smart Phone from here on out.  I'm not buying it - unless they come up with an uber affordable smart.

This review said it best:

Quote from: wired
the Gorilla Glass-covered screen is a measly 320 x 240 pixels and its operating system, Series 40, doesn’t even include a full HTML browser. But that shouldn’t matter to the conscientious smartphone objector. For them, a lack of features is a feature.

And that's all I ever wanted - a minimalist phone clothed in premium materials.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:22:17 »
The 515 appears to be the closest the west will get to a Japanese phone.

The Galapagos Syndrome is real. What boggles my mind is the prices for Japanese phones - the entry-level flip phones cost around $250! I can't imagine what the high-end X-Ray or G11 would be..  :eek:

The 301 & 515 are gorgeous, accessible alternatives to a smartphone. That's where I'd put my money.
-a petty thief

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:29:44 »
I can't imagine what the high-end X-Ray or G11 would be..

X-Ray = $375
Evangelion = $495
Avg Flip (Fujutsu/Sharp/Panasonic/NEC) = $325-$475

Offline dante

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:31:25 »
GIVE IT TO ME NAUGHTY GIRL (Hint: I don't mean you!)

Offline dante

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:38:57 »
Holy crap - the X-Ray is old - released in Oct 2010 - LOL.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:07:17 »
X-Ray = $375

So it's not made of unobtainium after all..

Holy crap - the X-Ray is old - released in Oct 2010 - LOL.

Sure it's old, but I have a feeling that feature phones might age better than modern smartphones.
-a petty thief

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:19:01 »
Sure it's old, but I have a feeling that feature phones might age better than modern smartphones.
Do you think battery memory would be an issue with purchasing a 3-4 year old phone? Wouldn't it be kind of hit or miss?

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:24:22 »
Do you think battery memory would be an issue with purchasing a 3-4 year old phone? Wouldn't it be kind of hit or miss?

You're probably right, the batteries would likely be the first thing to go.

I think dante wanted to buy it, use it until it died, then store/display it for sentimental purposes. I can't say I wouldn't do the same  ;D
-a petty thief

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 16:25:21 »
You're probably right, the batteries would likely be the first thing to go.

I think dante wanted to buy it, use it until it died, then store/display it for sentimental purposes. I can't say I wouldn't do the same  ;D

Yeah, I was really excited for this thread until I thought of battery memory lol.  :[

Offline dante

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 17:03:11 »

I would inquire about the batteries - and if a little old - buy a brand new spare.  I'm not exactly sure I would want it to leave the house.  Much too nice!

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 17:09:52 »
There's always more spare parts than the original phone right?

Thanks a lot dante, now my search for a G11 will start again..   :p
-a petty thief

Offline chrysolophus

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 17:45:32 »
It's sounds really ironic to me. now a day, not many japanese ppl want to feature phone. as you may know most of ppl go with smart phone instead. We call we are galapagos with masochistic... But don't get me wrong. I'm Japanese who used to work Vodafone K.K long time ago. I quit just before Apple changed the world. and I really concerned about future of Japanese vendor. They never beat iPhone since it's came out...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 19:31:03 »
It's sounds really ironic to me. now a day, not many japanese ppl want to feature phone. as you may know most of ppl go with smart phone instead. We call we are galapagos with masochistic... But don't get me wrong. I'm Japanese who used to work Vodafone K.K long time ago. I quit just before Apple changed the world. and I really concerned about future of Japanese vendor. They never beat iPhone since it's came out...

Can not beat iphone/ android..

It will not happen ever...

It's like saying, you want to replace  windows os ...

The only reason most people even consider a mac is because they can install windows on it..

The only reason people started buying macs was when they switched to Intel processors, which eventually allowed windows to run on it.

ANDROID and iOS  is what keeps people locked into apple and Google..

Japan has no such software market...  Their own market is too small to support bringing up a whole new system of their own..

And the largest market right now CHINA.. 4ever h8s Japan, so here's always that prejudice there which prevents easy entry...

Japan is in a really bad place after losing WWII,, because they're not like Germany with a large land mass and numerous natural resources to exploit.. And unlike Germany, they do not have close proximity to the larger European market.

Look at Russia.. For only 1 reason, they have Oil,,,  they can say fvk you Obama, I'm gonna do what I want..

And Obama can't do crap about it, because even if he doesn't buy the oil, everyone else will..

Offline dante

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 20:33:22 »
The only reason most people even consider a mac is because they can install windows on it..

Someone from Japan can chime in on this - but as I understand it the Mac is still popular there due to superior Kanji support.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 21:29:50 by dante »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 23:36:08 »

Someone from Japan can chime in on this - but as I understand it the Mac is still popular there due to superior Kanji support.

Kanji support?

You only need 500, maybe 1000 tops for daily use..   upwards of 3000 for essay writing.. 4000-5000 for professionals.

I've yet to see a system that doesn't have at least 10,000 characters.

Offline chrysolophus

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 12:42:25 »

Can not beat iphone/ android..

It will not happen ever...

Oh, No, no. I don't think feature phone beat smartphone either. I didn't say that. I just want to say we are too focused on Japanese market. and they don't even think about the world.

I mean an unique Japanese market(Galapagos) that is so different from the overseas have been created and grow by the consumer with a commitment to unique capabilities and business practices to Japan.
Heterogeneity of the Japanese market such as this will be compared to a phenomenon of the Galapagos Islands referred to in the world of the organism. We(Our feature phone) can not live outside of Japan even if it's really excellent products.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 03:00:03 »
No Japanese flip-up phone that runs Android?

Why wouldn't a Japanese GSM/UMTS phone be able to use Internet on a Western UMTS network?

Offline dante

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 08:31:24 »
Samsung just released a flip Android phone in China.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 16:36:20 »
Man, I love Japanese industrial design. You don't see that sense of style over here in the West.

A decade ago my sister used to have a Sony flip phone (not "Sony Ericsson") that had more character than any Nokia or Ericsson. Just the built-in ring tones were awesome; they reminded me of playing Nintendo Game&Watch.

Offline chrysolophus

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 15 August 2014, 18:57:53 »
No Japanese flip-up phone that runs Android?

Why wouldn't a Japanese GSM/UMTS phone be able to use Internet on a Western UMTS network?

As long as I know this is the only one Japanese flip-up phone that runs Android at this moment.
SHARP AQUOS PHONE THE HYBRID SoftBank 007SH.