Author Topic: Cleopatra (1963)  (Read 1786 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Cleopatra (1963)
« on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 11:41:03 »

Why didn't this movie do well ?

Just watched it now (in full), it's pretty decent,  felt no lesser, than ben-hur/ 10 commandments, big epics of the day.

+Elizabeth Taylor @ her most Thicc.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Cleopatra (1963)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 13:18:42 »
My recollection was that it was very popular and catapulted Elizabeth Taylor to the stratosphere.

When I was a teenager "Cleopatra" was a euphemism for an extremely attractive woman.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 15:07:02 »
Hrrrm.. maybe they meant' only financial flop.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 18:41:51 »
Many things age in strange and unexpected ways. The top TV show that year was the Beverly Hillbillies and a couple of years later a show called Star Trek came on but was cancelled early due to poor ratings.

So, commercial popularity, critical acclaim, profit, and longevity are often very disjointed from each other.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 19:56:57 »
I think it was pretty popular, at least in Poland, it was like hundreds of times on polish tv when I was a kid (80s-90s).
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 16:46:56 »
I think it was pretty popular, at least in Poland, it was like hundreds of times on polish tv when I was a kid (80s-90s).

was it broadcast in letterbox or 4:3 aspect ratio ?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 17:19:34 »

was it broadcast in letterbox or 4:3 aspect ratio ?

4:3, dude, it was 90s:)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 17:51:50 »

4:3, dude, it was 90s:)

Took some 640x480 screenshots to remind ourselves how good we had it with PAL broadcast.    Of course we definitely didn't have this kind of color/ fidelity, but the image softness is endearing and nostalgic.